No11%11% - 11
I don't care4%4% - 4
Maybe7%7% - 7
I am an E.T. myself22%22% - 22
Total: 100
InviSniper
The first true Sniper.
+95|6649|Cumberland, MD, USA
Well most seem to agree that life does exist somewhere out there in the universe, so I ask one question. What would they think of us? We kill innocent people with bombs and guns. We run tests on our own people. We spend countless hours sitting in front of an electrical signal transformed into images wasting our lives.
jonnykill
The Microwave Man
+235|6685
What if they though they could do a better job at all the bad things we do as humans ? I read some time ago that Steven Hawkings predicted that 90% of all Alien contact would probably be violent . I'll look at this in another light though . So far it seems that 99.99% of all Alien spottings have been UFO's being spotted and flying away . No laserbeams , bombs or nasty weapons , just hauling ass and getting out of the picture .
With that in mind it looks as if Hawkings was wrong . Perhaps Aliens are kind and peaceful but paranoid about meeting us . Or maybe it's kind of like an Alien safari to come to Earth and observe us and what we do .
Maybe they are observing our capability to to defend our planet and see if they can take us over and use our planet to further thier survival . OMFG what if they want to rape us !!!!!!!!!!! Make Alien human breeds ! Imagine your the first kid to be a half human half Alien . School would fucking suck .......
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6680|Canberra, AUS
The aliens would probably take one look at our planet, scream and run away. They'd think we're crazy, what with all the random toxins in our food and such.

The possibility of matter arranging itself into life as we know it in the same time-frame as we are, are more zeros than the chance of seeing a chair draw energy from its surroundings and starting to levitate, yet it is a finite number. (both the chair and the aliens are)
To give a better example of this: proteins are one of the two key components of life (the other, of course, being DNA). Proteins are long, long strings of amino acids IN A PATICULAR ORDER. For example, collagen, that we've all heard of, is a string of 1055 amino acids in a paticular order.

That would be hard enough to make intelligently.

but SPONTANEOUSLY?

It's like having a poker machine with 1055 reels, each with about 20 symbols and expecting to get a jackpot. No way.

Though Richard Dawkins postulates that proteins might have 'evolved', with a small cluster of amino acids bumping in to another, and discovering some extra use...
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Stratocaster
WCR official whiner
+6|6733|Madrid, Spain
I wonder... do aliens play shooter games? if so, what would their computers look like... and....do they have their own EA there? LOL just a thought.....
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6846|Cologne, Germany

Spark wrote:

The aliens would probably take one look at our planet, scream and run away. They'd think we're crazy, what with all the random toxins in our food and such.

The possibility of matter arranging itself into life as we know it in the same time-frame as we are, are more zeros than the chance of seeing a chair draw energy from its surroundings and starting to levitate, yet it is a finite number. (both the chair and the aliens are)
To give a better example of this: proteins are one of the two key components of life (the other, of course, being DNA). Proteins are long, long strings of amino acids IN A PATICULAR ORDER. For example, collagen, that we've all heard of, is a string of 1055 amino acids in a paticular order.

but SPONTANEOUSLY?

It's like having a poker machine with 1055 reels, each with about 20 symbols and expecting to get a jackpot. No way.

Though Richard Dawkins postulates that proteins might have 'evolved', with a small cluster of amino acids bumping in to another, and discovering some extra use...
well, there is no indication that extraterrestrial life would necessarily have to base on the same principles as human life / life on earth does. I mean, isn't that the whole point of extraterrestrial life ?

It is our concept of how life develops and what is necessary for it to evolve. Proteins and DNA are elements of life on earth. what leads you to believe extraterrestrial life will be based on the same concept ?
Mike<Eagle23>
BF2sEU old school admin - I don't care who you are
+359|6733|Germany

What do you think is more incredible: That the earth is the only planet with life on it, or that we are not alone in the universe?
I can't decide on this question.

Last edited by Mike<Eagle23> (2006-03-31 14:45:15)

InviSniper
The first true Sniper.
+95|6649|Cumberland, MD, USA

Spark wrote:

but SPONTANEOUSLY?

Too bad there are an infinite number of these "machines" around. It's going to happen. Just when and where is the question.
jord
+2,382|6683|The North, beyond the wall.
Some good replys,I just want to ask something its about a TV program i think its going to be about aliens but they've not been shown yet.So,has anyone been watching invasion?
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6680|Canberra, AUS

B.Schuss wrote:

Spark wrote:

but SPONTANEOUSLY?

well, there is no indication that extraterrestrial life would necessarily have to base on the same principles as human life / life on earth does. I mean, isn't that the whole point of extraterrestrial life ?

It is our concept of how life develops and what is necessary for it to evolve. Proteins and DNA are elements of life on earth. what leads you to believe extraterrestrial life will be based on the same concept ?
The fact that amino-acids and sugars are found quite commonly in space.

These materials are there.

Why wouldn't they be used?

There are SPECIFIC reasons life developed this way and not some other way.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Rosse_modest
+76|6781|Antwerp, Flanders

Stratocaster wrote:

I wonder... do aliens play shooter games? if so, what would their computers look like... and....do they have their own EA there? LOL just a thought.....
They ARE EA. I thought every1 would have figured that out by now. Electronic Arts is nothing but an alien merchant guild.
B.Schuss

Spark wrote:

B.Schuss wrote:

Spark wrote:

but SPONTANEOUSLY?

The fact that amino-acids and sugars are found quite commonly in space.

These materials are there.

Why wouldn't they be used?

There are SPECIFIC reasons life developed this way and not some other way.
considering we have only explored a tiny fraction of the universe we live in I'd say the chances of extraterrestrial life developing on the basis of something completely different from amino-acids and sugars are just as high.

As far as I am concerned, the SPECIFIC reasons you talk about are only valid for our planet.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6777|PNW

Though there are an (as good as) infinite number of systems in space, the possibility of encountering life capable of communicating with our species (thus achieving our definition of sentience) is rather narrow. Will human genes last as long as it takes to find out?

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-04-04 04:21:32)

Rosse_modest
+76|6781|Antwerp, Flanders

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Though there are an (as good as) infinite number of systems in space, the possibility of encountering life capable of communicating with our species (thus achieving our definition of sentience) is rather narrow. Will human genes last as long as it takes to find out?
Improbable.
B.Schuss

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I don't think so.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6777|PNW

Exactly. Though there are an infinite number of systems in space, space is also infinitely large. And even though the idea that similar conditions have to be met for planets to form around a sun (not discounting the possibility of nebulae-based bacteria) increases our chances, it is but a dismal level.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-04-04 04:54:33)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard