Ryan
+1,230|6813|Alberta, Canada

is there anyway to update your GHz without buying a new computer? lol
OholibaH
The Disconnected
+0|6806
?!?!? What the heck do you mean? Overclocking your CPU?

There are a lot of Tools out there and you can do it in BIOS as well. But i wouldn't recommend it, because BF² may crash if your CPU is overclocked...
MrSuave
+0|6792
Y do u want more ghz? there is a way but i heard u can only overcock it about 30% more and you will need more fans to kool your processor.
Stoned_Smurfz
The Mushroom Man
+1|6816|Australia
LoL if you dont know how to do it then i suggest you dont do it... as if done wrong can do more harm than good
Omnimalice
All Hate
+1|6749|Northern VA
/me refers Ryan to Jeff K.
Ryan

lol im sorry i dont know much about computer. it just i only have 1.5GHz and i was just wondering if it was possible to bump it up to like 2.5 around there. but i guess not. we will get a new one next year
07>sin
mista sinista
+1|6815
AMD 1.5 or Intel 1.5?
Ryan

intel
|1rb| AKAeric
+0|6799
THE BIGGEST COMPUTER OVERCLOCK RULE IS BELOW-
If you have written this statement "lol im sorry i dont know much about computer" or this "is there anyway to update your GHz" or anything that sounds remotely like that... YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE SCREWING WITH YOUR BIOS SETTINGS!!!! It is all too easy to fry your system.

Having said that: You could do it, not from 1.5 to 2.5 but maybe 2.0. you'd need a bigger heatsink with a big fan, and you'd need heatsinks for the chipsets too.

Best OC'ing story. Overclocked an Intel PII 500MHz close to 1GHz(can't remember too well). Had a big room fan screwed to the side of the case. It ate itself eventually, but I was only in 6th grade, gimme a break. Good intro to modding/OC'ing tho.

MMMM smell that burning silicon

Last edited by |1rb| AKAeric (2005-10-11 17:30:55)

Ryan

lol thanx. i wasnt planning on doing it, but i was just wondering if it was possible. thanx
jodidomatador
+0|6740|Spain
Of course you can overclock your pc but if depends on some components like the motherboard, processor, memory, cooling fans, etc. and you need to have some knowledge about your pc hardware. Lot of people do (including me with my AMD XP2500 mobile @ XP3400).

Don't you know that most of the new AMD 64 3000 can overclock easyly by almost 40% with the right motherboard outperfoming any intel pentium 4 with games ????

You should start for visiting forums about overclocking to get some help.
Adonlude
+2|6749
Just from your comment "update my GHz" I am thinking that you probably will do more harm than good trying to mess with your computer. Take the time to study up on how to build a computer and make sure you know how all of the computers components effect its performance. Don't mess with overclocking unless you are an expert in these areas.

At a bare minimum, find out what motherboard you have and find out if there are any faster processors that it can support. That is the most direct answer I can give. Otherwise save up some money and visit Dell.com.
SilentBob
Silent but deadly...
+1|6785|Nellis AFB (Las Vegas, NV)
https://akbarnett.com/jiggawatts.jpg
jodidomatador
+0|6740|Spain
visit dell.com????  only if you want a pc for mama and papa.

For a gaming machine forget about dell.com and go for AMD 64 (I thought everybody knew this ....)

Last edited by jodidomatador (2005-10-14 13:37:19)

Adonlude
+2|6749

jodidomatador wrote:

visit dell.com????  only if you want a pc for mama and papa.

For a gaming machine forget about dell.com and go for AMD 64 (I thought everybody knew this ....)
I have always owned Intel processors as I feel that they are the best all around processor. It does seem that AMD does currently outperform Intel when it comes to running games but there are other areas where Intel comes out ontop. I dont just use my computer for gaming but I hope that Intel improves the performance of their processors for the gaming world. The benchmark differences between the two aren't that great anyway.

Intel is a far stronger and more reputable company, AMD is just an underdog that took Intel's ideas and tried to build upon them. Intel wrote the book, I trust Intel.

Last edited by Adonlude (2005-10-24 10:25:42)

KillerAFET
+3|6750|Abilene, Texas
You can change the CPU to a more advanced CPU with little effort.  Most MOBOs can handle many types of CPUs so you can replace your INtel or AMD with a better one.  Thats the smartest and cheapest way to go instead of MOBO replacement because that may drive RAM replacement as well.

If you are into overclocking there are many WINDOWS BASED utilities that modifies the BIOS settings on the fly to get a few more clock cycles out of the CPU.  Giga-Byte motherboards, for example, uses an application called EZTune where you can change clock speed, voltages, etc to boost CPU performance.  Be careful, you gotta know what you are doing. Also, make sure you have super CPU cooling and some RAM cooling when overclocking.

And AMD makes a better processor.  Its more robust so it can take the overclocking stress that leaves Intels in the smoldering solder joint of wanna be CPU.  Intel's popularity with OEM vendors like Dell is because they discount their product.  Many more CPU builders - and I make movies on mine in addition to gaming - prefer AMD.  Let the flame war begin, the Intel folks are feeling a sense of insecurity already.

Last edited by KillerAFET (2005-10-24 10:38:41)

Adonlude
+2|6749
Take a look at TomsHardware.com where they have the most comprehensive list of comparisons between EVERY mainstream Intel and AMD CPU:

http://www23.tomshardware.com/index.html

See for yourself the real differences between the two processors, they both excel slightly in different areas. I still chose Intel as it seems to excel in more areas with the cheaper processors than AMD's.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard