DeathsTouch
Team NHB
+35|6659|Los Angeles, CA
I'm currently building a computer to run Battlefield 2 in a better fashion, because my GeForce FX 5950 Ultra isn't cutting it anymore. If I were to get a new graphics card with PCI-E, it would mean a new motherboard, along with a new CPU, so I thought, "Hey, why not just a whole new computer?"

Please give me some suggestions or comments/feedback towards this set up, and tell me what you think.

Code:

Computer Parts
==============
 ---
*CPU*
 ---

Description:
AMD Athlon 64 FX60 Toledo 1GHz HT 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core Processor.

Link:
http://www.chiefvalue.com/app/productdetails.asp?submit=&item=19-103-608&ATT=Processors

Price:
$1011.00

Part No.:
ADAFX60CDBOX

Quantity:

-----------
*Motherboard*
 -----------

Description:
 ASUS A8N32-SLI-DELUXE ATX SOCKET 939 NVIDIA NFORCE4 SLI X16 MOTHERBOARD.

Link:
http://www.compuplus.com/i-Asus-A8N32-SLI-DELUXE-ATX-Socket-939-NVIDIA-nForce4-SLI-X16-Motherboard-1006234~refer-froogle.html

Price:
$189.99

Part No.:
A8N32-SLI DELUXE

Quantity:

---
*RAM*
 ---

Description:
OCZ EL DDR PC-3200 / 400MHz / Titanium Edition / Dual Channel.

Link:
http://www.topmicrousa.com/ocz4002048eldcte-k.html

Price:
$334.52

Part No.:
OCZ4002048ELDCTE-K

Quantity:

---
*GFX*
 ---

Description:
GeForce 7900 GTX Extreme Edition 512MB PCI-Express.
    A 256-bit memory interface and fast GDDR3 memory enable blazing 
graphics performance with the quality set to max so you don't have 
to choose between frame rates and image quality. Need a break from 
gaming? The GeForce 7900 GPU also delivers smooth, high-definition 
video playback and crisp picture quality thanks to its advanced 
NVIDIA PureVideo technology. If you are searching for an extreme HD 
gaming and video experience on the PC, look no further than a 
Geforce 7900 GPU. 

Link:
http://www.sparco.com/cgi-bin/wfind2?spn=A76J838

Price:
$523.98

Part No.:
PVT71FYDE9

Quantity:

-----
*Power*
 -----

Description:
XG Duro 900 PSDR-900 ATX12V Output: 850W, 900W peak Power Supply 110V~230V OCP, OVP, UVP, OLP, SCP, OTP - Retail.

Link:
http://www.newegg.com/product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817125002

Price:
$149.99

Part No.:
PSDR-900

Quantity:
 ----
*Case*
 ----

Description:
Chassis, Armor Super Tower, ATX, BTX, MATX, EATX, 18 Bays, Black.
The Thermaltake Armor Case is a very serious case. With optimized airflow, thermal management, and maximum flexibility, the Armor Case
is your choice for water-cooling, fanless systems, and hard core workstation or server setups. The Armor Case boasts 18 bays and
7 expansions slots. The power and reset switch can be relocated into any drive bay to suit your preference. A massive fan and
ventilation system keep the air running through your system cool and dense. Compatibility with today?s newest technologies makes the
Thermaltake Armor Case the ultimate contender for your next system.

Link:
http://www.pcconnection.com/ProductDetail?sku=6235214

Price:
$155.54

Part No.:
VA8000BNS

Quantity:

==============
+Complete Total+
 ==============
Total: $2889.00
Ethan Hunt
24/7 Ground Pounder
+3|6618|Muncie, IN
Some very high end stuff their, nice picks. just courious about HardDrive (IDE or SATA)?

I like what you've put together should kick butt in game.

Last edited by Ethan Hunt (2006-03-27 08:36:16)

DeathsTouch
Team NHB
+35|6659|Los Angeles, CA
I'm keeping my two SATA hard-drives. They're each 300GB, so I should have room.
Ethan Hunt
24/7 Ground Pounder
+3|6618|Muncie, IN
LOL, ya i hope so!

Looks to me like one monster of a system, I checked on that XG PowerSupply because I hadn't heard of it before but all the reviews i viewed of it were good. So good luck shoping/buying/assembling!

Last edited by Ethan Hunt (2006-03-27 08:56:46)

AnarkyXtra
BF2s EU Server Admin
+67|6792|Hanging onto the UAV
If you're going all-out on this - which you clearly are - you should consider good, fast hard drives. Raptors are a common favourite. Stick them in RAID-0, and watch as you load into BF2 minutes before other people (often literally).
vjs
+19|6776
Suggest the DFI board, I really don't like ASUS their customer support is poor, their warranties even worse. I've been burned on 3 boards all of them were asus, never had a problem with any other board and I've purchase more boards than I'd like to count.

1K is alot for a processor and 2 7900's wow... might want to consider something a little cheaper but it's your money.

I'd consider ditching one of the 7900's in favor of a raid setup and if your spending that much you should at least get a decent sound card.
Maj.Do
+85|6756|good old CA
some nice stuff there fella.  I like but u should go with maybe a raptor, up 2 u really .
Sn0wMan
Spray 'n Pray
+1|6844
You may want to consider getting a Radeon XPRESS 200 crossfire with the X1900XT, it beats SLi 7800GT's. Same price and around 40% more performance.
Maj.Do
+85|6756|good old CA
actually i believe sli still beats the crossfire.  and he plans on getting the 7900 which i think is cheaper then the 1900 right now
-=|BW|=-Hollow_Moon
+5|6759
I wouldnt recommend two nVidia 7900GTX's in SLI because of the heat from the first card affecting the second one, so if you going for SLi go for two 7900GT's or the GTX's but get better case & VGA cooling. THe very best cooling would be vapo-chill if you can afford it, which im guessing you can
-_{MoW}_-Assasin
+13|6733|Australia
yep, and trade that FX-60 for an Opteron 175, or 170 if ur willing to do some heavy overclocking

Opteron = highest Quality AMD CPU
Badcow68
+4|6729|Tucson, AZ
I run a SLI 7800 GTX. Added a new Artic Cooling heatsink/cooling unit to one and it helped greatly. Getting one more for the other video card. The cooler videos are helping to cool the rest of the case/system down. That is a big help on the P5N32-SLI Delx which runs hot. I just ordered my new processor, P4 Intel 930 3gig dual core to replace the 630 I have. Losing the HT and getting a second true cpu. Time will tell if its worth it.

Last edited by Badcow68 (2006-03-30 08:43:15)

DeathsTouch
Team NHB
+35|6659|Los Angeles, CA
I was thinking about adding the VapoChill onto it, but I was iffy due to there's no word on if it supports my cpu or not; I'd rather not spend 800 dollars on something that won't work. :\

As for the VGA cooling, I think I may do that. What is the best VGA cooling? Money isn't much of an obstacle here, so feel free to make it as expensive as you want.
.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1
+76|6700|Gold Coast,QLD,Australia
trust me, get vapochill....! its so good, i have space for booze in their and it gets frozen
DeathsTouch
Team NHB
+35|6659|Los Angeles, CA
lol, but the only thing that's stopping me, as I said, is if it'll work on a socket 939 computer. Can anyone confirm on this?
Ronball9
Sleep Deprived
+8|6852
My one cautionary note is the case.  I have the Thermaltake Tsunami, also aluminum and "tool-less", the problem with the tool-less part is that everything is held in with snap-in-place fasteners which despite all my efforts - rattle with adequate cooling fans.  Now if you go with a different cooling solution that is fan-less this may not be an issue...  But I kind of regret my decision to go this direction now.

Just thought I'd mention it because this never even factored into my decision and may not have been a factor in yours. 

Otherwise it will kick ass.  That OCZ RAM works very well with your mobo, I am running the same pairing myself, but you will have to set the timings manually in the bios.
Slayer
---hates you
+1,137|6761|Hell, p.o box 666

Suggestion:
dont take FX60, isnt much faster than X2 4800+ but much more expensive... safe the money for SLI 7900GTX or GT
-_{MoW}_-Assasin
+13|6733|Australia
a Vapochill is only for the hardcore overclocker, not even i have one(iv been meaning to buy one, but no cash)

and as i posted before, get a Opteron 170 or 175 instead of the FX-60
.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1
+76|6700|Gold Coast,QLD,Australia
daul core oppies *drools*

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard