Lexington1971
+1|6714
I'm really surprised I couldn't find any topics on this when I searched. This is something that has annoyed me ever since the start of BF2. It's a minor thing, but when multiplied by all the times I respawn, it adds up!

There seem to be several "issues" with spawning. I won't call them bugs as they seem to be deliberate features, but I haven't found them documented anywhere. If someone can explain the way these work I'd appreciate it.

1. Sometimes a spawnpoint that we own will show up in red, and I can't respawn there. If I wait a few seconds it goes white again and I can respawn. This seems to be a restriction on too many people spawning at same place at same time, but it's kinda annoying

2. Sometimes when my spawnpoint is a squad leader, it just WON'T let me spawn. I click them, hit "Done" and won't respawn, I try it again and it won't work, try it a third time and it does. This is pretty annoying when my SL is trying to cap a flag and needs help. Before you ask, no he's not dead -- no red/green circle. I understand that this is a restriction when my SL is in a heli or a full vehicle, but sometimes it happens even when he's on foot.

3. The spawn selection screen is STUPID because if I click about 5 pixels off a spawn point it doesn't recognize the click, and I have to click again precisely. And if I miss the "Done" button and click on the very bottom of the map about 50 miles away from any spawnpoints, it deselects and I have to reclick.

4. While we're at it, is there any reason why there are separate "kit" and "squad" screens? Seems like they could fit all this into one screen and save a whole load of clicks

5. And would it be too much trouble to disable the "done" button when your team owns no spawnpoints, and shows a message saying "you cannot respawn"? Yeah, you can look at all your flags, but guys, it's only a few lines of code.

Rant over. If anyone can explain more about spawning rules, provide tips (I saw the Zatar spawn alignment bug post BTW), or just agree that it's stupid, that would help.
IBKCKNURASS
Corrosion Inhibitor
+172|6777
1 if there are more than 6 ppl with that spawn point selected it wont let u spawn
2 shit happens.
3 deal with it ever one else does
4 doesnt need an anwser
5 if u hit the x in the top corner that screen will go away
Trigger_Happy_92
Uses the TV missle too much
+394|6690

IBKCKNURASS wrote:

1 if there are more than 6 ppl with that spawn point selected it wont let u spawn
2 shit happens.
4 doesnt need an anwser
owned
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6811|AUS, Canberra
the only one im going to adress is number 2, as number 1 has been answered and rest are just rants.

if your team has no flags you cannot spawn on a squad leader, no matter how alive he is.
Hyper
Banned
+154|6791
omg
u replied and didnt lok it
call the feds!
Wild1234
+1|6726
For point 2, you cant spawn on your squad leader if they are on a ladder or in some other place where you dont have room to spawn. Also at times I think the game just has trouble finding the proper spot to have you spawn, so it takes a few tries to make it work.
-]Eucalyptus[-
I'm a MOO MOO STARRR!!1
+17|6784|Switzerland (Im not swiss tho)

Lexington1971 wrote:

I'm really surprised I couldn't find any topics on this when I searched. This is something that has annoyed me ever since the start of BF2. It's a minor thing, but when multiplied by all the times I respawn, it adds up!

There seem to be several "issues" with spawning. I won't call them bugs as they seem to be deliberate features, but I haven't found them documented anywhere. If someone can explain the way these work I'd appreciate it.

1. Sometimes a spawnpoint that we own will show up in red, and I can't respawn there. If I wait a few seconds it goes white again and I can respawn. This seems to be a restriction on too many people spawning at same place at same time, but it's kinda annoying

2. Sometimes when my spawnpoint is a squad leader, it just WON'T let me spawn. I click them, hit "Done" and won't respawn, I try it again and it won't work, try it a third time and it does. This is pretty annoying when my SL is trying to cap a flag and needs help. Before you ask, no he's not dead -- no red/green circle. I understand that this is a restriction when my SL is in a heli or a full vehicle, but sometimes it happens even when he's on foot.

3. The spawn selection screen is STUPID because if I click about 5 pixels off a spawn point it doesn't recognize the click, and I have to click again precisely. And if I miss the "Done" button and click on the very bottom of the map about 50 miles away from any spawnpoints, it deselects and I have to reclick.

4. While we're at it, is there any reason why there are separate "kit" and "squad" screens? Seems like they could fit all this into one screen and save a whole load of clicks

5. And would it be too much trouble to disable the "done" button when your team owns no spawnpoints, and shows a message saying "you cannot respawn"? Yeah, you can look at all your flags, but guys, it's only a few lines of code.

Rant over. If anyone can explain more about spawning rules, provide tips (I saw the Zatar spawn alignment bug post BTW), or just agree that it's stupid, that would help.
number 2: a too crowded place. game cant find a spot to make ur fat ass fit
number 3: press enter, not click the button. be a pro!

the other ones are mentioned by these kind forum people.
PunkX
stoned
+198|6664|Canada

broncobullfrog wrote:

IBKCKNURASS wrote:

2 shit happens.
4 doesnt need an anwser
Yeah, that pretty much covers it.
enemy boat spotted!
Lexington1971
+1|6714
Thanks to Wild1234 for the only constructive response.

To the other responses: Yes, these are not critical bugs. Yes, as I said in my original post, I can live with it. But given how much time you spend on the respawn screen, would be nice if they spent a few hours coding it right, huh?
E7IX3R
is drunk and crazy
+216|6728|UK

Lexington1971 wrote:

1. This usually means the flag is either being taken by the other team or its too busy.
2. This means he's in a postion where you cant spawn cause there isnt enough room. Say if he's sniping on the bridge on mashtuur over looking the powerstation

the rest - what everyone else said
dubbs
+105|6672|Lexington, KY
1.  There are to many people at the spawn point.   
2. I remember right there is a bug that will not let you spawn correctly, do not quote me on this because I do not have a source.  (I think I read it on a forum before, maybe it was this one).
3. This is a user error.  Just click the spawn point, do not try to click 5 pixels off.  You may be able to adjust your mouse to fix this issue.
4.  Yes there is a reason for two different screens.  It is to make the game have a cleaner look. 
5.  Ask EA/DICE about this one.
Lexington1971
+1|6714

dubbs wrote:

3. This is a user error.  Just click the spawn point, do not try to click 5 pixels off.  You may be able to adjust your mouse to fix this issue.
Lol, you must work in technical support. Poor usability in a product = user error.
CackNBallz
+45|6783|Toronto, Canada

Lexington1971 wrote:

Too many people crowding the spawn points to allow you to spawn safely.

Lexington1971 wrote:

If the green circle is surrounded with red circle, the squad leader is either dead, on a ladder, in a tight space, a full vehicle, on a ground or air defence emplacement or parachuting. I have also had the same problem as you when the circle is completely green yet I have to click on a different spawn point, then click on my squad leader again and then it works after a couple of tries.

Lexington1971 wrote:

I press the Enter key after selection.  It is much faster than moving the mouse over and prevents user error.

Lexington1971 wrote:

The screen would be too cluttered, and the map to me is the most useful part as it shows where my teammates are.

Lexington1971 wrote:

What I would like is that if you don't have the spawn point screen show up at all.  I want to watch my teammates struggling to get that one flag back instead of fighting that stupid spawn point selection screen every few seconds. Enter... C. Enter... C all the time.  The spawn point selection screen should only pop up when there is a flag available.

Last edited by CackNBallz (2006-03-30 08:05:31)

dubbs
+105|6672|Lexington, KY

Lexington1971 wrote:

dubbs wrote:

Lol, you must work in technical support. Poor usability in a product = user error.
I actually did work in tech support for about two and a half years.  I stated that because some times the answer is right there in front of us and we do not see it. 

Also, from a tech support side, I actually blamed a lot of the issues on our products, I know that they are not perfect.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard