Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5693|College Park, MD

chittydog wrote:

If that business model doesn't work anymore, that doesn't mean that it's not stealing, it only means they're not going to stay around forever.
I myself never said it wasn't stealing. But I'd say it's fair game. Hit them where it hurts. They'll eventually get it.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6592|132 and Bush

jsnipy wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Piracy drives the cost up.
evidence?
Basic logic. The few paying for the developmental cost. There is also a cost that goes into copy protection.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
NantanCochise
+55|5970|Portugal/United States
Look, its as simple as this: If everybody stole software, than there would be no money to be made from it. Hence no one would actually produce it, therefore no one could have access to it anyway.
jsnipy
+3,276|6514|...

Kmarion wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Piracy drives the cost up.
evidence?
Basic logic. The few paying for the developmental cost. There is also a cost that goes into copy protection.
No its not that basic. You are under the faulty presumption that each pirated copy equates to a copy that would be bought. True, the copy protection costs are concrete.

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

They'll eventually get it.
who specifically?

Last edited by jsnipy (2009-05-13 20:50:29)

chittydog
less busy
+586|6826|Kubra, Damn it!

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

chittydog wrote:

If that business model doesn't work anymore, that doesn't mean that it's not stealing, it only means they're not going to stay around forever.
I myself never said it wasn't stealing. But I'd say it's fair game. Hit them where it hurts. They'll eventually get it.
I disagree. Stealing =/= fair game. Is it okay to steal clothes if they're overpriced? Hilfiger costs 3X as much as Target brands for about the same quality.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6592|132 and Bush

jsnipy wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

evidence?
No its not that basic. You are under the faulty presumption that each pirated copy equates to a copy that would be bought. True, the copy protection costs are concrete.
No not each but certainly some. You are under the faulty presumption that without the opportunity to pirate those would be pirates would never legally purchase software. I never claimed that it was an even 1 for 1 trade off, nor is an even trade off nessecary to understand that every penny lost is passed along to the end consumer.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

chittydog wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

chittydog wrote:

I disagree. Stealing =/= fair game. Is it okay to steal clothes if they're overpriced? Hilfiger costs 3X as much as Target brands for about the same quality.
My monthly bill for Verizon FIOS TV is higher than for internet. I can get the same shows like 24 and House on Hulu, which would mean I'm paying less for being able to view those shows.

I see file sharing as another competitor. For a while Comcast had full rule over cable television in most parts of the country, so they could charge whatever they felt like charging. Eventually you got companies like Verizon implementing higher-quality TV feeds for less. So Comcast lowered their pricing and changed their game.

Likewise, the studios used to be able to charge whatever the hell they wanted for us to watch their shows. They forced the consumer to sit down at the TV from X to Y hours, be forced to watch 20 minutes of ads. They forced them to pick one or the other (because of competing time slots). So some people got fed up. They either used their DVRs or, if they were technically smart, they just downloaded the shows online for free because they were sick and tired of their practices. File sharing is the new Verizon, and things like Hulu are a good start. But as long as the studios and content license holders refuse to allow Hulu outside the US, then people will turn to the better option (filesharing).
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6592|132 and Bush

I'm using hulu more and more. If people start canceling their tv packages I fear fios is going to go the route of bandwidth caps.

Xbone Stormsurgezz
jsnipy
+3,276|6514|...

Kmarion wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

No not each but certainly some. You are under the faulty presumption that without the opportunity to pirate those would be pirates would never legally purchase software. I never claimed that it was an even 1 for 1 trade off, nor is an even trade off nessecary to understand that every penny lost is passed along to the end consumer.
I never stated insinuated any presumptions (your use of the word tells me much ), I was just countering the point you made and the fact that you said it was "basic logic", which it is not.
chittydog
less busy
+586|6826|Kubra, Damn it!

Hulu is not the same as file sharing, it's a site that the networks allow to show their programming.

I otherwise agree with the example you're giving, since it's not really file sharing. Services like Hulu provide much needed competition and keep prices/quality in check.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6592|132 and Bush

jsnipy wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

I never stated insinuated any presumptions (your use of the word tells me much ), I was just countering the point you made and the fact that you said it was "basic logic", which it is not.
I was mocking you.. you didn't tick it silly goose. ..lol

Would simple logic be better? How about easily understood? Perhaps I give people too much credit.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
jsnipy
+3,276|6514|...

Kmarion wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Would simple logic be better? How about easily understood? Perhaps I give people too much credit.
lolwut
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

chittydog wrote:

Hulu is not the same as file sharing, it's a site that the networks allow to show their programming.

I otherwise agree with the example you're giving, since it's not really file sharing. Services like Hulu provide much needed competition and keep prices/quality in check.
Yeah, what I meant to say was that Hulu is the equivalent of Comcast lowering its prices and making more competitive deals. There was competition (in cable's case Verizon, in media's case file sharing) and they (Comcast in cable's case, the studios in media's case) made a response (lower prices and Hulu respectively).

@Kmarion then people will either find ways to circumvent the caps (which would be illegal, like file sharing) or new ISPs will pop up. I remember reading about an ISP for a town in North Carolina that offers far better prices than Time Warner does, and even has a 100Mbps package for around $150 a month.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6592|132 and Bush

jsnipy wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

lolwut
You needed evidence for something a child could understand.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
jsnipy
+3,276|6514|...

Kmarion wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

lolwut
I can tell you are getting angry i will drop it. Thanks for the insult.

Last edited by jsnipy (2009-05-13 21:20:15)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6592|132 and Bush

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

chittydog wrote:

Yeah, what I meant to say was that Hulu is the equivalent of Comcast lowering its prices and making more competitive deals. There was competition (in cable's case Verizon, in media's case file sharing) and they (Comcast in cable's case, the studios in media's case) made a response (lower prices and Hulu respectively).

@Kmarion then people will either find ways to circumvent the caps (which would be illegal, like file sharing) or new ISPs will pop up. I remember reading about an ISP for a town in North Carolina that offers far better prices than Time Warner does, and even has a 100Mbps package for around $150 a month.
Circumventing a cap would be very circumstantial.. Jacking wifi, hacking bandwidth meters. Not nearly as easy as pirate bay. I guess in time as the "hey I'm not paying for it" market increases those tools could become easier to acquire/use. It's a constantly changing game. I can remember when free pay channels was as easy as sliding a plastic card into the right spot of a cable box. Yea, I go back.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6631|Your moms bedroom
isnt this kind of like saying sleeping with a hooker isnt cheating on your wife
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6592|132 and Bush

jsnipy wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

lolwut
lol.. never. I really thought it was very simple. Call me an asshole turd er something nipsy, I understand .
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6592|132 and Bush

Locoloki wrote:

isnt this kind of like saying sleeping with a hooker isnt cheating on your wife
There is a three zipcode rule with that. If you're three zipcodes away (from your wife) it's ok.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
jsnipy
+3,276|6514|...

Kmarion wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

lol.. never. I really thought it was very simple. Call me an asshole turd er something nipsy, I understand .
Definitely not, I'm not at all angered (maybe a bit surprised you got riled, then again im not in DAST much). My point is is that your statement is more like a mantra rather than a fact.

Last edited by jsnipy (2009-05-13 21:23:13)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6592|132 and Bush

jsnipy wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

Definitely not, I'm not at all angered (maybe a bit surprised you got riled, then again im not in DAST much). My point is is that your statement is more like a mantra rather than a fact.
Come here.. lets hug it out bitch.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
jsnipy
+3,276|6514|...

Kmarion wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

ok ...
https://img524.imageshack.us/img524/7016/gaymarriage2.jpg
Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|5985|Truthistan

jsnipy wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

ok ...
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/7016 … riage2.jpg
^^^^LOL
see the guys hand... they are married and you can tell too because the wife already looks bored

EDIT: and to think that people were scared that same sex marriage would destroy the boredom sanctity of marriage lulz

Last edited by Diesel_dyk (2009-05-13 21:48:03)

nickb64
formerly from OC (it's EXACTLY like on tv)[truth]
+77|5602|Greatest Nation on Earth(USA)

Kmarion wrote:

I'm using hulu more and more. If people start canceling their tv packages I fear fios is going to go the route of bandwidth caps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGNiLf7s0cw
My friend uses Hulu for all his TV most of the time because his mom doesn't have a TV, so he just has a nice computer because his dad builds them for a living.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
Once Hulu adds HD streaming then it will be pretty much perfect. I'll go to the TV if I can cos I love my HD, but Hulu is perfect for, say, watching stuff at 1:30AM.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard