blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6615
Do you consider file sharing stealing or no? Do you think its k to download some software from a torrent and then use it without having to pay for it? What are some of your alternative to solving this problem, would you want the software to be cheaper that way you would actually go to the store and spend some money instead of downloading it illegally? Where do you stand? Also do you think all software should be open source?

Do you think some form of legal protection should be given to intellectual property even if we do grant such protection to physical property?

Development of software in the computer industry has evolved from a spirit of cooperation and sharing to advance the state of art for program to one in which cooperation is virtually forbidden. Programmers should work together to make software freely available for humankind rather than supporting efforts to restrict its issue. Richard Stillman
Would you like the software to be "free" or just have wide choice of alternative to the "closed source" model?

Discuss and debate?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

First, I believe people should have the right to sell their stuff for whatever price they want, insofar as it doesn't violate trade laws.

From the perspective of someone with a partially-disposable income, here's the way I look at it (doesn't mean it's legal to act on, it's just the opinion I've formed):

OK when:

- Want to test and the demo's either unavailable or an inadequate representation of the software.
- Learning the ins and outs of a program for educational purposes. I'm aware that there's student versions of software, but some of these have restricted features and are still prohibitively priced for an already strapped student. Developers are already aware of this, and most of them are unofficially ok with the matter, as when a student graduates into a professional, that will be the software they know and (hopefully) love.
- Downloading the soundtrack to a movie already in possession. I cannot make sense out of spending more (or even nearly as much) for a 30 minute soundtrack than I did for its 120 minute film. I still buy soundtrack CD's, but only if reasonably priced. Movies anymore often come with a digital copy, so why not a digital soundtrack?
- You've already bought a license, but the hard copy was damaged.
- The product is officially under public domain, even if it's still sold.

Not OK when:

- You don't think a game's worth $40, but want it in your collection anyway.
- You can't afford toys, but want to have them anyway.
- 'Testing it' is really just an excuse to use it for years.
- You've sold your copy second hand and want it back, but don't think you should buy it.
- It's so old that you don't think it's worth buying.
- It's so bad that you don't think it's worth buying.
- You're part of the 'in-crowd' who hates EA, Microsoft, or whoever, but you want their stuff anyway.
- You're going to use development software for commercial purposes (not learning), but don't want to purchase a proper license.

Development of software in the computer industry has evolved from a spirit of cooperation and sharing to advance the state of art for program to one in which cooperation is virtually forbidden. Programmers should work together to make software freely available for humankind rather than supporting efforts to restrict its issue. Richard Stillman
Make of that what you will, but I don't blame people for wanting to put food on their table and get rich.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2009-05-10 16:56:46)

Man With No Name
جندي
+148|5544|The Wild West
Is Rosetta Stone really worth $549.00?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Man With No Name wrote:

If it actually works as well as advertised, I'd say it's reasonable to expect it to be just under the value of a course. Going off of reviews, though, not all seem to have the same stamp of quality. I've heard native speakers complain about elements of inaccuracy.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2009-05-10 17:08:42)

BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6737

Man With No Name wrote:

Hell no!

Try Michel Thomas.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

BN wrote:

Man With No Name wrote:

Hell no!

Try Michel Thomas.
Hey, never heard of that one. Taking a look now.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum
I dunno.

I have no qualms with copying stuff to disc that i already own (i.e bought - i buy the vast majority of my media). On the other hand, i have no problem lending mates dvd's/music, knowing full well he/she will copy them.

People however that 100% pirate everything i would consider thiefs. I might torrent a game, or a new album, and if i like it i'll go out and buy it.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Man With No Name
جندي
+148|5544|The Wild West

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Man With No Name wrote:

If it actually works as well as advertised, I'd say it's reasonable to expect it to be just under the value of a course. Going off of reviews, though, not all seem to have the same stamp of quality. I've heard native speakers complain about elements of inaccuracy.
Its not all that great really.  I got it for free when I was in the Army.  Now that Im out, its kind of hard for me to pay that much money for something that I had (and neglected) for free
BVC
+325|6665
There are business models which can make a profit from the provision of free software.  Sadly, a lot of companies neglect these models.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Pubic wrote:

There are business models which can make a profit from the provision of free software.  Sadly, a lot of companies neglect these models.
Then again, there's tons of free-license software for anyone who wants to look.
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6488|Montucky
https://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n48/lil_naruto/piracylulz.png
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6488|Montucky
or

https://s.buzzfeed.com/static/imagebuzz/2008/8/27/12/27311d2d7c84e8f3e3f5036ed08d198b.jpg
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6416|Chicago, IL
Maybe or maybe not, but people need to either stop pirating or stop complaining about DRM on everything, companies have the right to protect their interests.
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6737
Piracy would be reduced if prices were reasonable...$110 for a latest Xbox game in Australia is extraordinary.
HollisHurlbut
+51|5967
This argument is bullshit.  Copy or not, you are taking someone's labor product without their consent.

As for the original question, no, file sharing per se is not theft.  That's too broad a brush.
imortal
+240|6634|Austin, TX

HollisHurlbut wrote:

This argument is bullshit.  Copy or not, you are taking someone's labor product without their consent.

As for the original question, no, file sharing per se is not theft.  That's too broad a brush.
I agree.  Also, you are taking their product without giving fair (or established) value for it.  That little picture is not a valid argument; it is only a justification and rationalization.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

S.Lythberg wrote:

Maybe or maybe not, but people need to either stop pirating or stop complaining about DRM on everything, companies have the right to protect their interests.
Odd that people who stop pirating always seem to run into issues due to DRM. You don't think about it if you're pirating because, well, the 'feature's' been ripped out. Buy some legit software and suddenly your computer's subject to trojan (yeah, I know it pisses them off to hear the comparison, but it's there) software and 'YOU GOTTA PUT IN THE DVD' messages.

Come on, if you needed to insert the MS Office disc every time you wanted to run it, no business in their right mind would still use it.

Most recently ran into that in Fallout 3. Patched the game before I left on a business trip and it started fine. Went to start it later across the state and suddenly I needed the disc...too bad it was at home. Now if only I pirated it, I wouldn't have that issue...

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2009-05-13 19:17:05)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6122|what

You buy a dvd and have to sit through 3 minutes of "it's illegal to steal dvds" crap.

If each of my music tracks cost, say $1. I'd have had to spend thousands for my music collection. Close to $5000.

Even the most die hard music fan isn't going to fork out that much.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum
my dad's prob spent somewhere in the region of 9k on his, and that's only the CD stuff.

I've probably spent around 2k on mine
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6122|what

FatherTed wrote:

my dad's prob spent somewhere in the region of 9k on his, and that's only the CD stuff.

I've probably spent around 2k on mine
I'm talking about the "kids these days who do nothing but pirate stuff"
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum
ahhhhhhhh kk reapsikins
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5671|College Park, MD
Companies need to adapt and put out or shut up. Hulu is a great example of this. In the US it's a success... I'd much rather go on Hulu and watch the last few episodes of 24 I missed than download them off of BitTorrent.

But, Hulu only works in the US. If the studios and license owners don't want to make Hulu available to everyone, then they shouldn't cry when people in other countries turn to piracy to catch up on shows. To quote Trent Reznor, "they're ripping people off and that's not right."
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6570|132 and Bush

Man With No Name wrote:

It probably wouldn't be $549 if people werent getting free copies. Piracy drives the cost up.

The software companies are fighting a losing battle.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
chittydog
less busy
+586|6805|Kubra, Damn it!

There's nothing to debate here. If the maker of the software/music/video has not given approval for file sharing, then it's stealing. Whether you think it's fair or not is totally irrelevant. If that business model doesn't work anymore, that doesn't mean that it's not stealing, it only means they're not going to stay around forever.
jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

Kmarion wrote:

Piracy drives the cost up.
evidence?

chittydog wrote:

There's nothing to debate here. If the maker of the software/music/video has not given approval for file sharing, then it's stealing. Whether you think it's fair or not is totally irrelevant. If that business model doesn't work anymore, that doesn't mean that it's not stealing, it only means they're not going to stay around forever.
+1 I agree. Trying to argue it is like saying polls are the best way to make govt policy.

Last edited by jsnipy (2009-05-13 20:28:52)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard