Banksey
Banksey Says: Chew, don't choke :)
+12|5523|Ireland
Soooo. I saw Reddhedd's thread on 5 Things the World would be a better place without. And saw the religion was number one.

I've always taught about this for some reason, and now I am not a man of God at all, but have always taught, that without religion, the world would be a terrible place.

Think about it, the vast majority of religions tell people to do good and not bad, and most people follow these "Teachings".

So follower of God or not.

Religion, good or bad?
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6443|North Carolina
I don't know if you can really say religion is good or bad overall.

It's more inevitable than anything.  It will always exist, people will always abuse it, while others will do good things in the name of it.

Dogma is really what's bad.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6754
Religion is good
the perversion of Religion is bad
Love is the answer
Man With No Name
جندي
+148|5613|The Wild West
congrats on the first thread about religion in the history of this forum. be proud!

http://forums.bf2s.com/search.php?search_id=1706772157

Last edited by Man With No Name (2009-05-09 13:06:23)

FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6538|so randum
be nice dennis x
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Man With No Name
جندي
+148|5613|The Wild West
I figured out if you talk enough shit about hispanics, the government, muslims, black people, poor people and euros, you dont have to be nice.  You get karma!

quit being a liberal pussy
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6538|so randum
quit being a mac10
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6485|Chicago, IL
It has it's ups and downs

fear of eternal damnation makes bad people do good, but religious fervor makes good people do bad.

break even if nothing else.
Home
Section.80
+447|6886|Seattle, Washington, USA

It's not necessarily either. People would do the good they do whether religion was there to encourage them or not, it's a natural human tendency. If it was gone, something else would be there to fill the void.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6538|so randum
yup. it helps many people live life in a good way, but it also gives many people the means to live a bad life.

50/50
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
jsnipy
+3,276|6561|...

thinking you understand the universe by your late teens is bad
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5624

Despite it's tendency to be misused overall it is a stabilizing factor.
imortal
+240|6703|Austin, TX

jsnipy wrote:

thinking you understand the universe by your late teens is bad
Yeah, but you can't stop them from doing it.  Hell, it took me a dozen years of the universe knocking me around to realize I understood it a hell of a lot less than I thought I did when I was 18.
SofaKing18
L33TGamerz.com
+7|5537|Rainbowland
religion r bad. it starts wars.
legionair
back to i-life
+336|6661|EU

Religion as we know sucks, paganism FTW!
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6221|Ireland
Islam is bad, that is why they call it Islam.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6449|'Murka

Home wrote:

It's not necessarily either. People would do the good they do whether religion was there to encourage them or not, it's a natural human tendency. If it was gone, something else would be there to fill the void.
Or the exact opposite of that.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6806
religion = mind control
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6550|Gold Coast
Peaceful religion: good
Extreamists/fanatics: bad

When people claim they're blowing up something in "Allah's" or "Gods" will, thats the type of shit thats bad. If people say they built a community hall or whatever for God, then thats good.
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6418|MN
In general non-religous people seem to think religous people just wake-up one day and decide to be religous.  Funny this.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6449|'Murka

LividBovine wrote:

In general non-religous people seem to think religous people just wake-up one day and decide to be religous.  Funny this.
And that the non-religious people know better than the religious people. And then they mock the religious people for having the same position for themselves. Hypocritical as well as funny.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6659|London, England
Most religious people are born into a religion and it depends on their parents/upbringing as to how indoctrinated they are into a specific religion. Religion ain't so bad, it's just that when it's used for power and manipulation which is pretty much always is, is when it's bad. It doesn't help that most religions are set up for exactly that. Not to mention the fact that, mainly the Western religions of Christianity and Islam, these days, do too much to hinder progress. There was a time when these two religions weren't so much of a hindrance to progress but these days I think these two religions are going backwards and are starting to become a real problem
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6144|eXtreme to the maX
On balance - bad.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Ei Em
+7|5528

KuSTaV wrote:

When people claim they're blowing up something in "Allah's" or "Gods" will, thats the type of shit thats bad. If people say they built a community hall or whatever for God, then thats good.
Like Jim Jones and his Peoples Temple?

Seriously though, I don't care in what people belive, or why they believe it. Believing in something "higer" isn't bad or good.

So, in my opinion, religion is neither good or bad.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5740|College Park, MD
Normal religion is fine. Extremist religion isn't. See:

part 2 (lol long song is long)
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard