FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6489|so randum

BBC wrote:

A county in central China has ordered officials to smoke nearly a quarter of a million packs of cigarettes ever year in the hopes of raising tax revenues.

Gong'an county told civil servants and teachers to smoke 230,000 packs of the locally-made Hubei brand each year.

Those who do not smoke enough, or are caught puffing on brands from other provinces, or overseas, face being fined or even fired.

wow. just wow

Source
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6142|what

This is why the Chinese economy is doing better than the American.

They are willing to make sacrifices. lol
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
GodFather
Blademaster's bottom bitch
+387|6209|Phoenix, AZ
https://thetobaccoindustry.net/images/family-guy-smoke.jpg
maffiaw
ph33r me 傻逼
+40|6410|Melbourne, AUS
I guess some bright spark forgot all about the unimportant Bronchial Cancer thingy.  I mean no real manly man who smokes to look cool cares about lung cancer.
CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6119|Carnoustie MASSIF
what is the chinese health service like? Cause that way they're killing two birds with one stone, revenue on cigs up, and money to the government
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6564|London
Population control lol.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6610|London, England
Only in China, as if Chinese people aren't short enough already (except for the tallest man in the world, who is Chinese, also the latest tallest man entrant, who is also Chinese, and that Basketball player, and that guy at my school)
link52787
+29|6511
yeah, We're actually pretty close to the ground.

I'm 5'8, I don't know what standard deviation I fall in.

The Chinese government doesn't give a rats ass about its people.

well, the smokers have no choice in the matter which is sad.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6644

Not like the government will have to pay for those people's health care when they get sick later on in life. Plus the country is so overcrowded anyway. It's win-win!
CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6119|Carnoustie MASSIF

BBC wrote:

China cigarette order up in smoke
A Chinese county has rescinded a rule urging its government workers to smoke more in order to boost tax income.

The authorities in Gong'an county had told civil servants and teachers to smoke 230,000 packs of the locally-made Hubei brand each year.

Those who did not smoke enough or used brands from other provinces or overseas faced being fined or even fired.

But the government has now backtracked from the policy, after a report in a local newspaper generated criticism.

U-turn

A million people die from smoking-related diseases in China every year, but the local authorities were initially undeterred by the health risks.

"The regulation will boost the local economy via the cigarette tax," Chen Nianzu, a member of the cigarette market supervision team in Gong'an county, Hubei province, told the Global Times newspaper.

The paper said the measure was probably an attempt to shore up the Hubei brands against tough competition from cigarettes produced in neighbouring Hunan province.

On Tuesday, the local government's website published a statement saying "We decided to remove this edict", but declined to elaborate further.

Smoking is deep-rooted in Chinese culture - where more than half of all male doctors smoke - and there is still a general lack of awareness about the impact on health.

But the authorities have recently started encouraging smokers to kick the habit - even imposing a ban on smoking in public buildings in the capital, Beijing, in the run up to the 2008 Olympic games.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6142|what

"Smoking is deep-rooted in Chinese culture"

Opium maybe...
the air in china is so friggin dirrty already - lets smoke more and see if that helps . .   .yes,  it has to be part of the population control plan. heh
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6380

AussieReaper wrote:

Opium maybe...
Supplied by the British, even when the Chinese government tried to blockcade it (and Hong Kong was subsequently taken over).
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6142|what

some_random_panda wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Opium maybe...
Supplied by the British, even when the Chinese government tried to blockcade it (and Hong Kong was subsequently taken over).
Exactly. The opium wars are an important part of Chinese culture. Yet I doubt very much you'll hear about the subject in any school syllabus. lol
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6695
Only in China...
Yellowman03
Once Again, We Meet at Last
+108|6224|Texas

AussieReaper wrote:

Opium maybe...
No, the Chinese smoke ALOT. It disgusts me. All of my male relatives in China and Taiwan smoke. I've never asked why.
maffiaw
ph33r me 傻逼
+40|6410|Melbourne, AUS

Yellowman03 wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Opium maybe...
No, the Chinese smoke ALOT. It disgusts me. All of my male relatives in China and Taiwan smoke. I've never asked why.
AFAIK it's a predominantly Asian masculinity thing.
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6564|London

maffiaw wrote:

Yellowman03 wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Opium maybe...
AFAIK it's a predominantly Asian masculinity thing.
Yeah that's what I've always thought as well
~FuzZz~
.yag era uoy fi siht deaR
+422|6311|Orrstrayleea
Wow, i never realized we had so many Asians on bf2s

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard