Wreckognize
+294|6476
Source

THE WHITE HOUSE
Office of the Press Secretary
June 26, 2003

STATEMENT BY THE PRESIDENT

United Nations International Day in Support of Victims of Torture

Today, on the United Nations International Day in Support of Victims of Torture, the United States declares its strong solidarity with torture victims across the world. Torture anywhere is an affront to human dignity everywhere. We are committed to building a world where human rights are respected and protected by the rule of law.

Freedom from torture is an inalienable human right. The Convention Against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment, ratified by the United States and more than 130 other countries since 1984, forbids governments from deliberately inflicting severe physical or mental pain or suffering on those within their custody or control. Yet torture continues to be practiced around the world by rogue regimes whose cruel methods match their determination to crush the human spirit. Beating, burning, rape, and electric shock are some of the grisly tools such regimes use to terrorize their own citizens. These despicable crimes cannot be tolerated by a world committed to justice.

Notorious human rights abusers, including, among others, Burma, Cuba, North Korea, Iran, and Zimbabwe, have long sought to shield their abuses from the eyes of the world by staging elaborate deceptions and denying access to international human rights monitors. Until recently, Saddam Hussein used similar means to hide the crimes of his regime. With Iraq's liberation, the world is only now learning the enormity of the dictator's three decades of victimization of the Iraqi people. Across the country, evidence of Baathist atrocities is mounting, including scores of mass graves containing the remains of thousands of men, women, and children and torture chambers hidden inside palaces and ministries. The most compelling evidence of all lies in the stories told by torture survivors, who are recounting a vast array of sadistic acts perpetrated against the innocent. Their testimony reminds us of their great courage in outlasting one of history's most brutal regimes, and it reminds us that similar cruelties are taking place behind the closed doors of other prison states.

The United States is committed to the world-wide elimination of torture and we are leading this fight by example. I call on all governments to join with the United States and the community of law-abiding nations in prohibiting, investigating, and prosecuting all acts of torture and in undertaking to prevent other cruel and unusual punishment. I call on all nations to speak out against torture in all its forms and to make ending torture an essential part of their diplomacy. I further urge governments to join America and others in supporting torture victims' treatment centers, contributing to the UN Fund for the Victims of Torture, and supporting the efforts of non-governmental organizations to end torture and assist its victims.

No people, no matter where they reside, should have to live in fear of their own government. Nowhere should the midnight knock foreshadow a nightmare of state-commissioned crime. The suffering of torture victims must end, and the United States calls on all governments to assume this great mission.
Kind of ironic, dontcha think?
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

He meant well, all is forgiven!

https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6520|Global Command
9-11
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6592|132 and Bush

Bush invented waterboarding dontchaknow? None of this ever happened before him.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6656|NT, like Mick Dundee

jews did wtc poseidon toled me all bout it tru stori
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6708
Only reason why this torture stuff is being brought up now is to distract everyone from the incredible spendathon bankrupt a nation party...
BO will use Bush for his escape hatch everytime he stumbles with his inexperience...

not to mention the Wax faced Nancy Peloser...
I love how she said she was never told... liar
/////
Holding Pelosi Accountable For Torture
The speaker was briefed on waterboarding and other torture techniques used by the White House. She was part of the select group of congressmen and women told of the program. She did nothing to stop it and now claims she was never told it was going to be used. Porter Goss has a different recollection:

“We were briefed, and we certainly understood what C.I.A. was doing,” Mr. Goss said in an interview. “Not only was there no objection, there was actually concern about whether the agency was doing enough.”

For what it's worth, I believe Goss. Getting to the bottom of how the US became a torturing nation is not about one party or another. It's about getting accountability from all those who made it happen.

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/t … rture.html

Retire you inept dottering fool... lol  and bring Bawney Fwank and Hairy Reid with you...

Last edited by [TUF]Catbox (2009-04-23 20:25:50)

Love is the answer
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6402|'Murka

If they're going to investigate Bush Admin officials, then they need to investigate the Congress members who were briefed on and approved of the techniques...to include Pelosi and other ranking Democrats.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

FEOS wrote:

If they're going to investigate Bush Admin officials, then they need to investigate the Congress members who were briefed on and approved of the techniques...to include Pelosi and other ranking Democrats.
Yeah, to make the whole thing fair and transparent.
chittydog
less busy
+586|6826|Kubra, Damn it!

ATG wrote:

9-11
THE WHITE HOUSE
June 26, 2003
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6097|eXtreme to the maX

FEOS wrote:

Agreed, prosecute them all.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
FEOS
+1,182|6402|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Agreed, prosecute them all.
You have to investigate first. Or are you presuming guilt?

Nvm. I know the answer.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
As Idi Amin said - "They will have a fair trial, then they will be shot"
There was a guy who got things done.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6656|NT, like Mick Dundee

Dilbert_X wrote:

He also shot a person who was in a hospital bed didn't he?
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Pretty sure he ate him too.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

Flecco wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

He also shot a person who was in a hospital bed didn't he?
You'd do the same thing if it were a racing horse with a broken leg.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

FEOS wrote:

You have to investigate first. Or are you presuming guilt?
Pot-Kettle?
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6282|Éire
All these threads about torture and you guys can only ever seem to boil it down to an argument about Republicans versus Democrats... they're all cunts.

Your Government tortured people, that's what the whole world thinks and believes. You can argue all you want about how "safe" and "harmless" waterboarding is, you can argue all you want about which Democrat signed off on this and which Republican agreed to that, you can argue all you want about the merits of these tactics in terms of intelligence, but don't delude yourselves that people think of you as any kind of exemplar for human rights because it just isn't the case anymore. You're not as bad as Saudi Arabia or Zimbabwe, not by a long shot, but in the eyes of the world you're on their side of the table now.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

Wreckognize wrote:

Source

THE WHITE HOUSE
June 26, 2003

Today, on the United Nations International Day in Support of Victims of Torture, the United States declares its strong solidarity with torture victims across the world. Torture anywhere is an affront to human dignity everywhere. We are committed to building a world where human rights are respected and protected by the rule of law.

Freedom from torture is an inalienable human right. The Convention Against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment, ratified by the United States and more than 130 other countries since 1984, forbids governments from deliberately inflicting severe physical or mental pain or suffering on those within their custody or control. Yet torture continues to be practiced around the world by rogue regimes whose cruel methods match their determination to crush the human spirit. Beating, burning, rape, and electric shock are some of the grisly tools such regimes use to terrorize their own citizens. These despicable crimes cannot be tolerated by a world committed to justice.

Notorious human rights abusers, including, among others, Burma, Cuba, North Korea, Iran, and Zimbabwe, have long sought to shield their abuses from the eyes of the world by staging elaborate deceptions and denying access to international human rights monitors. Until recently, Saddam Hussein used similar means to hide the crimes of his regime. With Iraq's liberation, the world is only now learning the enormity of the dictator's three decades of victimization of the Iraqi people. Across the country, evidence of Baathist atrocities is mounting, including scores of mass graves containing the remains of thousands of men, women, and children and torture chambers hidden inside palaces and ministries. The most compelling evidence of all lies in the stories told by torture survivors, who are recounting a vast array of sadistic acts perpetrated against the innocent. Their testimony reminds us of their great courage in outlasting one of history's most brutal regimes, and it reminds us that similar cruelties are taking place behind the closed doors of other prison states.

The United States is committed to the world-wide elimination of torture and we are leading this fight by example. I call on all governments to join with the United States and the community of law-abiding nations in prohibiting, investigating, and prosecuting all acts of torture and in undertaking to prevent other cruel and unusual punishment. I call on all nations to speak out against torture in all its forms and to make ending torture an essential part of their diplomacy. I further urge governments to join America and others in supporting torture victims' treatment centers, contributing to the UN Fund for the Victims of Torture, and supporting the efforts of non-governmental organizations to end torture and assist its victims.

No people, no matter where they reside, should have to live in fear of their own government. Nowhere should the midnight knock foreshadow a nightmare of state-commissioned crime. The suffering of torture victims must end, and the United States calls on all governments to assume this great mission.
terrorists are not victims.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6282|Éire

lowing wrote:

Wreckognize wrote:

Source

THE WHITE HOUSE
June 26, 2003

What about people who are innocent? What would you say to an innocent victim of torture if they were standing in front of you lowing?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

Braddock wrote:

lowing wrote:

Wreckognize wrote:

Source

What about people who are innocent? What would you say to an innocent victim of torture if they were standing in front of you lowing?
2 different topics. You are against waterboarding of ALL people. I am just against waterboarding of innocent people.

Known terrorists? Waterboard the shit out of them, and once you get what you want, go ahead and finish drowning the bastard
imortal
+240|6656|Austin, TX
So, how many people died in custody at GITMO?  How many were broken on the rack?  Drawn and quartered?  How many hand limbs removed, even if just hands or feet, or even fingers or toes?  How many were blinded with hot irons?  Who were permenantly scarred or disfigured by tearing out gouges of skin and muscle, and filling the wound in with molten lead?  How many were hobbled?  Physically castrated?  Impaled?  Or even such semi benign things like having every single bone in your arms and legs (including all ones in the hands and feet) systematically broken, or being skinned alive from the feet and hands up?

I did not make a single one of those above activities up.
13rin
+977|6470

imortal wrote:

So, how many people died in custody at GITMO?  How many were broken on the rack?  Drawn and quartered?  How many hand limbs removed, even if just hands or feet, or even fingers or toes?  How many were blinded with hot irons?  Who were permenantly scarred or disfigured by tearing out gouges of skin and muscle, and filling the wound in with molten lead?  How many were hobbled?  Physically castrated?  Impaled?  Or even such semi benign things like having every single bone in your arms and legs (including all ones in the hands and feet) systematically broken, or being skinned alive from the feet and hands up?

None.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6282|Éire

lowing wrote:

Braddock wrote:

lowing wrote:

2 different topics. You are against waterboarding of ALL people. I am just against waterboarding of innocent people.

Known terrorists? Waterboard the shit out of them, and once you get what you want, go ahead and finish drowning the bastard
I've said many times before that I couldn't really give a shit what happens to actual proven terrorists... what worries me is a system that does not worry about legitimately proving whether a person is a terrorist or not and just proceeds straight to the torture.

You should really move to Saudi Arabia lowing... if you can get past the whole Islam thing you'll have a serious boner for their justice system!
FEOS
+1,182|6402|'Murka

Braddock wrote:

I've said many times before that I couldn't really give a shit what happens to actual proven terrorists... what worries me is a system that does not worry about legitimately proving whether a person is a terrorist or not and just proceeds straight to the torture.
Then what are you crying about? Those two were proven and admitted terrorists. So all the teeth-knashing you've been doing has been--by your own words here--completely unnecessary.
― Albert Einstein

imortal
+240|6656|Austin, TX

DBBrinson1 wrote:

imortal wrote:

None.
I feel I need to ammend my statement.  I am not saying that that is what went on at GITMO. When I think of torture, these historical acts of torture is what comes to mind.  I did not make up these activities in the fact that everything I mentioned were once valid, sanctioned methods of torture in years gone by.  I think that all too often, the term 'torture' is bandied about without realizing exactly what torture really means.  The goal of my post was to put a sense of perspective on the issue.  When the worst thing you can dredge up is waterboarding, it does not say that much.  Perspective.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard