Junior_Mud
+1|6657|Concord, CA
Ok, I fancy myself a pretty desent pilot. LGM's, dog fighting, choppers. etc. my huge weak point is when I drop my dumb bombs. I have about a 20% chance to even hit the ground!

I searched the forums... no love.
I searhced the wiki guide... no love.(great LGM guide though)

can anyone drop me some help on how to line these drops up? what alt. to fly at, what degree of attack, drop one or two bombs, etc, etc. Any help would be great help! Thanks much guys!
jord
+2,382|6668|The North, beyond the wall.
Alls i know is drop 1 and fly fast.Im a shit pilot but i can hit tanks and apc's 7-% of the time if i have a good run up.
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6652|USA
As pointed out by SlayThem months ago, my pilot stats are shit.

But if you care, I found the best release for those bombs is at an almost straight down angle.

YOu HAVE to do a flyby (or I usually do) then come back at the right angle and nail them. I drop both at once for a greater chance at hitting the target.

Releasing them level will send them straight across Wake Island and into the sea. Also, if your too low and release them level, you have a chance of taking damage yourself from the explosion.

PATIENCE is a huge part of flying....I don't have any.

-Mason-

PS- I admit my pilot stats are shit. I can still fly through the Kubra Dam tunnel, under any wooden Wake bridge, and put the choppers under the I beam's of the Sharqi Construction point.  Please do not brag about these accomplishments any longer. Flame on peeps.
Colfax
PR Only
+70|6634|United States - Illinois
How do you only drop one bomb?
Junior_Mud
+1|6657|Concord, CA
by tapping the release button and not holding it. will drop one bomb.
deject
Got His War On
+37|6764|Golden, CO
In my highly limited pilot experience, dive bombing works really well.  In the 30 minutes of flying I've done, I've found that going into a fairly steep dive (one that you can pull out of obviously) directly at the target and releasing the bombs at the last possible moment works pretty good.  Honestly only about 15 minutes of that was seriously trying to bomb people.  The rest was me unsucessfully trying to avoid enemy jets or hills.

and yes, I've practised a bit on an empty local server, but it doesn't help a lot.
CackNBallz
+45|6733|Toronto, Canada
There are two effective ways of dropping one bomb.  The most common way is to drop your payload then reload only one bomb.  Then release that, then reload for two bombs, you will now drop one bomb from now on. This will happen until you reload one bomb then return to reload a second bomb and then finally releasing them.

I prefer to use the second method which to press the bomb button and you will hear a bomb release and immediately after switch to air-to-air missiles and then back to the bombing pipper.  This method allows you to drop one or two bombs when you want to.  Places where I drop two bombs is when I go into an extremely steep attack angle (perpendicular or almost 90 degrees to the ground.) or there is a long convoy or large spread out group of transport vehicles/infantry.

The higher attack angle means you will be in and out of view very quickly, you will have a higher chance of hitting your target for maximum damage.  A good way I cause the most damage is to come down at them at a steep angle with the Vulcan cannon blazing, APCs get destroyed from about 5 to 7 seconds of cannon fire, boats and transports about 3 seconds or less, tanks well I haven't had the patience to just pelt a tank with the vulcan cannon, but I have finished off a tank after putting one direct bomb hit on it and then with two seconds of direct cannon fire.

I am starting to like flying fighters a lot more than bombers, sure I like destroying half a dozen people in one payload, but I love the mobility of the fighter jets and the extra air-to-air missiles. I also hate getting shot down, and that mostly happens when I am in the bomber.
Junior_Mud
+1|6657|Concord, CA
ok, but what about the line up? CAN you make a strafing run with the bombs? or is it just better to come at them from an almost 90` angle?

Also, secondary question....

a bomber plane and fighter plane, exact equal skill. would the fighter win every time due to the better maneuvering? or would it be a very equal fight?
MaddoxM
+4|6603
The fighter has an edge over the fighter-bomber against each other, but the 'bomber' and its 5 bombs make bombing tanks (or groups of tanks in EF) much much easier and effective.
arson
+99|6627|New York

Colfax wrote:

How do you only drop one bomb?
Upon takeoff drop both bombs, then pick up 1, drop it now & pick up 2 bombs and you are now in single bomb drop mode.
I.M.I Militant
We Are Not Alone In Here
+297|6709|Melbourne, Australia
just play by urself on lan.. ull get the hang of it
Crazyfool_OA
+12|6753|Gloucester - UK
if you want to practice, set up a local server, playing 64 player gulf of oman. get in the SU34, and while flying along the edge of the beach, attempt to bomb the middle US artillery cannon. As all 3 are in a nice straight line, if you release too late, you will destroy the furthest one, if you release too early, you will get the closest one etc... If you destroy more than one (which would be the general idea in a real game, but this is for practice) then you need to come in at a steeper angle. Yeah its boring but its a fairly effective way of getting to know when to release and what angle of attack to use for different situations, as there is no single "best" way to bomb, it all depends what you're bombing.
For taking out a tank, you'll want to try bombing the same way as you would to destroy only the middle arty cannon (especially if friendlies are near by). If you're bombing a base to try and get as many infantry as possible, you'll want to try bomb in the way that would take out 2 or all 3 of the arty cannons.
Hope my method helps you out, and if it does, please dont bomb me!
skratch-x
+25|6627|NY, USA

Junior_Mud wrote:

a bomber plane and fighter plane, exact equal skill. would the fighter win every time due to the better maneuvering? or would it be a very equal fight?
The bomber should get destroyed without too much trouble.  The sad thing is, J-10 Vs. F-35B is almost as bad as J-10 Vs. Bomber.
af7ersh0ck
+6|6624|Albany, NY, USA
Crazyfool, your advice might be helpful, but after practicing that constantly it might not help when trying to bomb moving vehicles.  The cannons are stationary, and bombing tanks and APCs when moving requires a little more finesse.

As for myself, I suck with air-to-ground combat in fighters, so I normally stick with bombers.  I have a maneuver that gets almost all but the truely good pilots off of me.  Fighters OR bombers.  I've actually found out though that the bomber can be more effective in air-to-air combat than the fighter sometimes.  It seems to have a slower control speed than the fighter, so while the fighter desperately tries to slow down and shoot it, it will most likely end up screeching past, and from there the slow speed lets you turn the bomber much sharper, often maintaining a lock on the fighter for a very long time.
Crazyfool_OA
+12|6753|Gloucester - UK
Yeah granted they dont move, but it helps you get used to the angle of attack and release time, which is what most people have trouble with. transfering that knowledge to a moving target is easy, just drop where said vehicle is going to be in 1 or 2 seconds time. I never learnt this way, I just figured it out by playing, but thats what I tell my mates and most of them will never miss a target now, unless they're being raped up the arse by a fighter at the time of course. Kind of a bad move teaching all your mates how to own in the bomber really, cus half of them always get in game before me so I never get to use the bloody thing anymore
CackNBallz
+45|6733|Toronto, Canada

Junior_Mud wrote:

ok, but what about the line up? CAN you make a strafing run with the bombs? or is it just better to come at them from an almost 90` angle?

Also, secondary question....

Yes you can make a strafing run with bombs. I usually strafe with machineguns to soften them up prior to my one bomb drop.  If you are level you will need to release the bomb way before the target.

When you get good at bombing normally with the bomber, then you can try more advanced and dangerous techniques like bombing while horizontal or diagonal to the ground. So you can drop the bombs diaginonally sideways. A good place to use this technique is in Kubra Dam.  Approach the opening of the Lower Dam CP from above and to one of the sides then make a U-turn to avoid hitting the dam, while you are turning before the apex of the turn release the bombs the bombs will fly forward and into the dam if timed and aimed correctly causing devastation within the flag area. 

Another good instance of this technique is to use this is if an enemy vehicle is off to the side and there are trees or a building in the way (or you just want to do show off your bombing skills) preventing a direct line of attack from your current vector.  Just turn to the side and release! BOOM! 

The bottom vertical line in the bombing HUD will show you the general area where the bomb will land so line the enemy up with that line and as long as you time the drop you will hit him.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard