Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6574|England

Vax wrote:

The smaller versions of the map are a bit linear; but, it's a whole team coming thru there, and with apc's AND boats you will probably need a ton of AT guys to close it down.
4 AT guys will be enough... 1 shot per boat, assuming they are fully loaded = 24kills. APC's, with no supply crates, in water, are absolute sitting ducks.

I also see the PLA will get an APC, and 2 MBT's... If the US fail in their very first attack...thats it, game over. Just like Devils Perch, and similar to Wake/Dalian/OCS, hell, even Oman and Gator at times. Notice the trend there...they are all maps where the US have a separate island/carrier, and are often left sat on said carrier/island getting raped because of both the general BF2 population being jerks and, in some respects, poor map design.

Vax wrote:

As others said, we don't really know yet how it will play.
Granted, but its no different to some of those maps listed above...

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

It's a cool map... you can't judge it by a minimap...
Going by how it is going to play, and be played by the general BF2 population, I think you can. 3 years of BF2 (for me), I think we can pretty much tell how the map is going to be played and how it will pan out. As an experienced mapper - I thought you would have been able to?

Having another look, either:

1) Both Temple and Old Square need to start as neutral (if the timings are correct, the US and PLA would both reach Temple at a similar time).
Temple and Market are not directly linked by a bridge, so it should work out. Mind you, that is without PLA FAV's surging forward straight for the Temple flag...which would get there way before any US boat can reach the shore. note: I havent seen any FAV's in the pictures

2) Have all flags except Harbour Office and Industrial Harbour starting as neutral - so the armies have to push forward and capture the flags, similar to Dalian, Tampa, etc.

3) [wishful-thinking]Give the US a blackhawk, preferably with its old miniguns, so that it could secure a beachhead for the boats to land. [/wishful-thinking]

===

I actually like this map, it looks really good fun. Fog included. Its the start of every single round (in its current state) that is putting me off of the map, and I haven't even played it yet...

Also, that TOW at the temple flag is waaaay too exposed.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6462|The Twilight Zone
the fog needs to be more orange looking
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Oisín | Irishpride
Banned
+118|5603|Dublin, Ireland

.Sup wrote:

the fog needs to be more orange looking
Noooooo

It would look like karkand mate!

The map does actually look quite nice, different anyways.

I would love if USMC had a blackhawk though.

First 2 flags need to be greyed tbh.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6462|The Twilight Zone
Harbor office on 16 is going to be hard to take its the last flag to be captured
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6231|Escea

Snake wrote:

Vax wrote:

The smaller versions of the map are a bit linear; but, it's a whole team coming thru there, and with apc's AND boats you will probably need a ton of AT guys to close it down.
4 AT guys will be enough... 1 shot per boat, assuming they are fully loaded = 24kills. APC's, with no supply crates, in water, are absolute sitting ducks.

I also see the PLA will get an APC, and 2 MBT's... If the US fail in their very first attack...thats it, game over. Just like Devils Perch, and similar to Wake/Dalian/OCS, hell, even Oman and Gator at times. Notice the trend there...they are all maps where the US have a separate island/carrier, and are often left sat on said carrier/island getting raped because of both the general BF2 population being jerks and, in some respects, poor map design.

Vax wrote:

As others said, we don't really know yet how it will play.
Granted, but its no different to some of those maps listed above...

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

It's a cool map... you can't judge it by a minimap...
Going by how it is going to play, and be played by the general BF2 population, I think you can. 3 years of BF2 (for me), I think we can pretty much tell how the map is going to be played and how it will pan out. As an experienced mapper - I thought you would have been able to?

Having another look, either:

1) Both Temple and Old Square need to start as neutral (if the timings are correct, the US and PLA would both reach Temple at a similar time).
Temple and Market are not directly linked by a bridge, so it should work out. Mind you, that is without PLA FAV's surging forward straight for the Temple flag...which would get there way before any US boat can reach the shore. note: I havent seen any FAV's in the pictures

2) Have all flags except Harbour Office and Industrial Harbour starting as neutral - so the armies have to push forward and capture the flags, similar to Dalian, Tampa, etc.

3) [wishful-thinking]Give the US a blackhawk, preferably with its old miniguns, so that it could secure a beachhead for the boats to land. [/wishful-thinking]

===

I actually like this map, it looks really good fun. Fog included. Its the start of every single round (in its current state) that is putting me off of the map, and I haven't even played it yet...

Also, that TOW at the temple flag is waaaay too exposed.
I was thinking, if they wanted to avoid helos, they could make a parachute spawn for the US. A bit like on GW 64, over the water but closer to the mainland.
Vax
+42|5860|Flyover country

Snake wrote:

Vax wrote:

https://news.battle.no/viddi/bf2/blue_pearl/11.jpg

I think you are assuming a lot. If you look at that screen, and we try to imagine the distances...it looks like the shot was taken from about halfway out...(or even less than halfway) seems doubtful AT's are going to be able to hit the boats from the outset, they will have some room to maneuver, and flank.
Sure if a USMC team sucks and dawdles around in their main, the opposing team gets entrenched and it gets much harder to break out...this can happen on any map, even Jalalabad or Kark; but how often does it really happen ? If you get some good teamworking squads together it takes only one cap behind the lines to shift the momentum.
The Us side has the only uncap, and PLA doesnt have any air to rape the main or shred every boat like on Wake or Dalian, and also there being no air means less of a tendency for players on US to sit around "waiting for a jet" -- a big problem with maps with carriers, a portion of the team is often as good as idle because they sit and wait for, or fight over, their favorite air-toys rather than joining the attack.
That said, we are just speculating, and you guys might be right that making the temple flag neutral at the start may be the needed change to get it working; like say Lake flag on Jallalabad..if the MEC's rush Lake at the start, US has a much harder time of it, but any good US team will take the Lake fast...

Last edited by Vax (2009-04-19 11:40:19)

steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6390|the land of bourbon
the US is going to need great snipers to have a chance.  taking out the AT guys will be the only hope of having a chance to secure a flag.  but as snake said, it will most likely be rape for china.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
.:i7|Batman
Banned
+27|5509| - | - | - | - | - |
Make the boats invincible and arm them with nukes.
$tayGold
Be Eazy!
+10|5540|USA
^ lol

I'm just looking forward to playing on this map because its different, I'm sure there will be rounds where US caps out and rounds where china rapes, but don't all maps have that happen? It will depend on the players on each side and how well they do. Like someone else said also, play it then talk about if you like or dislike the map. I think its going to be a really fun map and hope it doesn't end up like some maps where everyone plays for a month and then they are never on any servers!
legionair
back to i-life
+336|6632|EU

Beer*Abuser wrote:

^ lol

I'm just looking forward to playing on this map because its different, I'm sure there will be rounds where US caps out and rounds where china rapes, but don't all maps have that happen? It will depend on the players on each side and how well they do. Like someone else said also, play it then talk about if you like or dislike the map. I think its going to be a really fun map and hope it doesn't end up like some maps where everyone plays for a month and then they are never on any servers!
like Tampoon... pretty decent map but cant see anywhere
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6574|England

Vax wrote:

I think you are assuming a lot. If you look at that screen, and we try to imagine the distances...it looks like the shot was taken from about halfway out...(or even less than halfway) seems doubtful AT's are going to be able to hit the boats from the outset, they will have some room to maneuver, and flank.
Oh yeah, its all assumptions - but having seen the same thing on Devils Perch when the US have just the submarine is just a complete rape-fest. I remember 1 round when I was on MECSF, IIRC, my score doing just that ^ ^ with AT rockets came to something insane like 43/1...just sinking boats. The same can be done on Gator. Distances aren't a problem if you have any sort of experience guiding AT rockets - boats aren't that maneauverable and the boats don't get the lock warning tones

Honestly, I do believe the flags I mentioned need to start as neutral. At least we get to test it in beta (and I will play a lot of PLA I think ). But, we will see

steelie34 wrote:

the US is going to need great snipers to have a chance.  taking out the AT guys will be the only hope of having a chance to secure a flag.
1 word: medics
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6231|Escea

Snake wrote:

Vax wrote:

Oh yeah, its all assumptions - but having seen the same thing on Devils Perch when the US have just the submarine is just a complete rape-fest. I remember 1 round when I was on MECSF, IIRC, my score doing just that ^ ^ with AT rockets came to something insane like 43/1...just sinking boats. The same can be done on Gator. Distances aren't a problem if you have any sort of experience guiding AT rockets - boats aren't that maneauverable and the boats don't get the lock warning tones

Honestly, I do believe the flags I mentioned need to start as neutral. At least we get to test it in beta (and I will play a lot of PLA I think ). But, we will see

steelie34 wrote:

the US is going to need great snipers to have a chance.  taking out the AT guys will be the only hope of having a chance to secure a flag.
That calls for the SAW .

I'm wondering when the beta will be though, seeing as 1.5 is meant to come out very soon as I read from somewhere quite recently, a post on the EA Forums by a DICE member. (Probably here as well but I missed it and can't be bothered to look for it right now ). Unless they plan on running the beta as 1.5 comes out and then releasing the final tuned version afterwards.

There's always room for change though, like Tampa. The flags were all capable (I think) originally, before the US was made an uncap.
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6574|England

M.O.A.B wrote:

There's always room for change though, like Tampa. The flags were all capable (I think) originally, before the US was made an uncap.
Aye, both MEC and US ( ) airfields were capables. The beta was awesome seeing 2 BH's unload on the MEC airfield, whilst 2 MI17's unloaded on the US uncap to totally turn the map around Best teamwork Ive ever seen on pub servers...
Was a pain being the commander though
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6699|Devon, England
Give USMC a blackhawk and all is sorted, IMO.

As well as the neatural flag on the end, though.

By the way, why don't we all gather together, get on the EA forums and post these ideas somewhere that they'll read it? Or Catbox, you tell em for us.

You can't all just say "Needs a neutral point" and then get all bitchy when it doesn't get put into final release if you only said it on here or to your friends.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6231|Escea

FFLink13 wrote:

Give USMC a blackhawk and all is sorted, IMO.

As well as the neatural flag on the end, though.

By the way, why don't we all gather together, get on the EA forums and post these ideas somewhere that they'll read it? Or Catbox, you tell em for us.

You can't all just say "Needs a neutral point" and then get all bitchy when it doesn't get put into final release if you only said it on here or to your friends.
On that thread I found about the very soon release I was going to make the suggestion of the neutral, (one guy also pointed out to the DICE guy the liquid glitch on the sandbags, who noted it). But for some reason it wouldn't let me sign in. As soon as I can I'm gonna put forth that suggestion.
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6390|the land of bourbon

Snake wrote:

steelie34 wrote:

ah but then you bring up an interesting situation... how many will be medics versus AT?  this may turn out to be an interesting map after all.  i am looking forward to this, which is something i haven't done to bf2 in a looong time.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
legionair
back to i-life
+336|6632|EU

You really think they care? I mean on those forums, I always had a feeling that its pretty useless, just like arguing about it here on bf2s...
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6231|Escea

legionair wrote:

You really think they care? I mean on those forums, I always had a feeling that its pretty useless, just like arguing about it here on bf2s...
Dunno, but worth a shot. Nobody ever thought we'd get a vanilla PLA map really.
legionair
back to i-life
+336|6632|EU

M.O.A.B wrote:

legionair wrote:

Dunno, but worth a shot. Nobody ever thought we'd get a vanilla PLA map really.
Ok you have my support then
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6477
Hopefully this map will suck so much without the US getting APCs that no one would ever play it in IO

That'd be
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6332|Graz, Austria
I'm happy with any official content that I can get for one of my favorite games.

About the flag issues:
In my opinion, the fault for a team being capped out or getting raped is most of the time the players themselves, not necessarily the map layout.
(Granted, Iron Gator is an exception there.)
But on all other maps, including Blue Pearl as it seems, there are always multiple ways to get by certain choke points.
I doubt that in every game all the players will spawn as AT. People don't do that on Iron Gator either.

Adding a Blackhawk for the USMC team will probably bring AA sites and/or mobile AA to the PLA team, as it's near impossible to bring down a heli without those, and the USMC would have a rather easy time capturing checkpoints by flag-hopping.

BTW, I wonder if there is enough room to get by the quay south of the market checkpoint next to the redline.
If not, it probably will be easy enough with a boat full of medics to drive through the red zone altogether.
lxcpikiman
imbad @ bf2
+70|6604|Toronto-Canada
pixel sraw shots here I come..
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6231|Escea

Fat_Swinub wrote:

http://www.game-monitor.com/bf2_GameServer/77.75.212.187:16567/

Is it open or closed beta btw? Anyone know?
TehMyke
8======D
+343|6717

Fat_Swinub wrote:

http://www.game-monitor.com/bf2_GameServer/77.75.212.187:16567/
you knooo tomorrow is tusedaiii rite guiz?!?!

/starting a rumor
» You guys are all old and wrinkly now, GG... | Steam | teHmyke.com | YouTube

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard