Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6518|San Diego, CA, USA
The Pentagon's EXACTO Rifle Will Be Able to Take Out Pirates A Mile Away

Gizmodo wrote:

The EXACTO (EXtreme ACcuracy Tasked Ordnance) rifle will conceivably be able to fire accurately at far longer distances than are possible now by combating weather with self-guiding bullets. Yes, you read that right.

The Pentagon has been working on the .50 caliber EXACTO for about a year already, and its main focus is to overcome climate conditions to stay accurate over a longer range. Here's some jargon they've used to describe the kind of tech that might do such a thing:

Fin-stabilized projectiles, spin-stabilized projectiles, internal and/or external aero-actuation control methods, projectile guidance technologies, tamper proofing, small stable power supplies, and advanced sighting, optical resolution and clarity technologies.

Basically, we're talking about bullets that can adjust to weather conditions in mid-air, either through external control or the abilities of the bullet itself.

Currently, snipers are really only accurate up to about 800 meters. Beyond that, it gets much harder to reliably hit a target: At 2,000 meters, snipers can probably hit the side of a barn, but a head shot isn't too likely. This rifle could change all of that, and more importantly, lead to even more badass pirate takedowns than we've seen already. And we're all about the pirate takedowns.
Besides having a name from a 1930s Sci-fi film, this is awesome.  Couple the above with This Robot Helicopter Snipes Better Than You With an Xbox 360 Controller...In Real Life and you got a winner.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5513|Toronto
But can it cure my headache?

So are Somalian pirates the new reason for Americans to toot their horn and polish their guns?

Last edited by Pochsy (2009-04-16 20:23:24)

The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Narupug
Fodder Mostly
+150|5567|Vacationland
Yes any excuse to whip out the new hi tech stuff.  I mean the old show they use to have on History channel, Futureweapons, there's some cool stuff.  Guns that can shoot around corners are my personal favorite oddity
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

Pochsy wrote:

So are Somalian pirates the new reason for Americans to toot their horn and polish their guns?
Hey we gotta use our military every once and awhile how Canada's military doing in Afghan...never mind
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5513|Toronto

Macbeth wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

Hey we gotta use our military every once and awhile how Canada's military doing in Afghan...never mind
Ops, can't compete in that depart. We don't measure how great our country is by the number of wars we fight and guns we own. Be proud. Militarism is the way of the future.

Before one of you says it- I do acknowledge the need for a military. I do not support militaristic policy (ie policy that aggressively supports military action at the drop of a hat).
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

Pochsy wrote:

( policy that aggressively supports military action at the drop of a hat).
You make it sound like a bad thing.
Narupug
Fodder Mostly
+150|5567|Vacationland

Macbeth wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

You make it sound like sending thousands of Allied forces, not to mention a large amount of civilians who are left uncounted, to their deaths at the drop of a hat sound like a good thing.

Last edited by Narupug (2009-04-16 20:48:09)

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

Narupug wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

You make it sound like sending thousands of Allied forces, not to mention a extremely large amount of uncounted civilians, to their deaths at the drop of a hat sound like a good thing.
Look I've played enough video games to know that war is a good pastime done for just amusement.
Spoiler (highlight to read):
I've been joking around
Narupug
Fodder Mostly
+150|5567|Vacationland

Macbeth wrote:

Narupug wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

You make it sound like sending thousands of Allied forces, not to mention a extremely large amount of uncounted civilians, to their deaths at the drop of a hat sound like a good thing.
Look I've played enough video games to know that war is a good pastime done for just amusement.
Spoiler (highlight to read):
I've been joking around
Sorry to make a point at your expense, I kinda figured that.
CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6100|Carnoustie MASSIF
But will it blend?
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5723|Roma
man can't wait to see the rifle in a game.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5758|Catherine Black
We can already shoot a mile +.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6100|Carnoustie MASSIF

Harmor wrote:

Currently, snipers are really only accurate up to about 800 meters. Beyond that, it gets much harder to reliably hit a target: At 2,000 meters, snipers can probably hit the side of a barn, but a head shot isn't too likely
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro

SirSchloppy wrote:

Harmor wrote:

Currently, snipers are really only accurate up to about 800 meters. Beyond that, it gets much harder to reliably hit a target: At 2,000 meters, snipers can probably hit the side of a barn, but a head shot isn't too likely
You never seen Shooter?
ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

Finray wrote:

Not with the hope of being able to hit someone. At that range, there are far too many variables to take into account to conceivably be accurate.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro

ghettoperson wrote:

Finray wrote:

Not with the hope of being able to hit someone. At that range, there are far too many variables to take into account to conceivably be accurate.
I'm sure it's been done a few times.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum

Finray wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Finray wrote:

I'm sure it's been done a few times.
Not with any kind of accurate repitition.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6548|Columbus, OH
I use to make throwing stars from Exacto blades when I was a yoot...sewing class had it's perks.
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6360

loubot wrote:

I use to make throwing stars from Exacto blades when I was a yoot...sewing class had it's perks.
I assume that's completely unrelated to the exacto mentioned in the article.
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6548|Columbus, OH

some_random_panda wrote:

loubot wrote:

I assume that's completely unrelated to the exacto mentioned in the article.
Maybe or the govt stole my idea

https://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j296/loubot/Exacto.jpg
CaptainMike
It's just a flesh wound
+45|6615|Canada

Macbeth wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

We just lost our 117th soldier to be killed, thanks. Just remember that not everyone has a military as large or capable as the United States.
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6619
This whole somali pirate situation is becoming america's training ground. Fucking awesome.
david363
Crotch fires and you: the untold story
+314|6709|Comber, Northern Ireland
pffft i can take out pirates at 2 miles away
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6535|Area 51

david363 wrote:

pffft i can take out pirates at 2 miles away
With a rifle? Or a tactical nuke?
Christbane
+51|6205

CaptainMike wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Pochsy wrote:

We just lost our 117th soldier to be killed, thanks. Just remember that not everyone has a military as large or capable as the United States.
R.I.P.    the canadians are doing a hell of a job.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard