daffytag
cheese-it!
+104|6582
I had a copy of XP from college, but I cant get it to work anymore.

I'm wondering has Vista come on enough to make it worth getting over XP?
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6204|Winland

If your computer can handle it, Vista is superior.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
daffytag
cheese-it!
+104|6582
Ok my second question being.

Vista Home Premium or Ultimate?

Does Ultimates extras really suit the price and will I use them?
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6604|Seattle

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Vista sucks my balls. It's like Microsoft's little game of hide and seek, rename everything, make drivers incompatible, and just make everyone's life more difficult. I see ZERO benefits to using that OS.
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6204|Winland

King_County_Downy wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Vista sucks my balls. It's like Microsoft's little game of hide and seek, rename everything, make drivers incompatible, and just make everyone's life more difficult. I see ZERO benefits to using that OS.
You just haven't used it enough.

Let me guess, you got it with your new lappy, used it for a week, and then installed XP?
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6604|Seattle

Freezer7Pro wrote:

King_County_Downy wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Let me guess, you got it with your new lappy, used it for a week, and then installed XP?
Nope. I work at a large corporation where more and more people are wanting to upgrade to Vista but all that means is more problems... I've used it quite extensively actually. Hate it hate it hate it. There is NO benefit to using it over xp pro. Prove me wrong.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6608|132 and Bush

Too bad you missed the windows 7 beta .
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6204|Winland

King_County_Downy wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

King_County_Downy wrote:

Nope. I work at a large corporation where more and more people are wanting to upgrade to Vista but all that means is more problems... I've used it quite extensively actually. Hate it hate it hate it. There is NO benefit to using it over xp pro. Prove me wrong.
You prove ME wrong. Name a feature that is in XP that's not present in Vista.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6574|NYC / Hamburg

Vista FPS > XP FPS for new games and hardware.

What are you doing on the tech team anyhow?

HP doesn't really have anything over ultimate. Bitlocker is nice for a laptop, but truecrypt will do the same thing

Last edited by max (2009-04-16 11:02:37)

once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6604|Seattle

Freezer7Pro wrote:

King_County_Downy wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

You prove ME wrong. Name a feature that is in XP that's not present in Vista.
How about this... you run the IT department for 2000+ users all running xp pro.

Some users want to upgrade to Vista cuz it looks prettier.

Do you

a) upgrade 2000 computers and 500 printers to accommodate said knucklheads and spend the next year or so training them on where the fuck everything is now?

or b) Tell them to stfu because there's no real benefit over xp?

It looks pretty. That's it. It's a resource hog and does nothing to improve productivity of aforementioned knucklheads who think they know everything.

Zero benefit to Vista. I repeat. Zero.

So I put it back to you.. Allow? Deny? Allow? Deny?
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6204|Winland

I didn't know daffytag was a 2000+ user IT department.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6460|The Twilight Zone

King_County_Downy wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

tbh
even with 2gbs of ram its slower than XP. Laggggggg
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6604|Seattle

www.sanmar.com if you must know (Port Authority's parent company)

btw, wtf is a daffytag? lol

Last edited by King_County_Downy (2009-04-16 11:18:18)

GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6421|Finland

It uses more ram because its designed to cache often needed stuff on ram for faster loading. It will free up the ram if needed for certain application(s).

It gives real benefits in performance for new tech such as new HD4xxx series radeons that benefit from it greatly performance wise.
Vista also has lots of multi-GPU scaling fixes that show real benefit for me example.

DX10 is getting more popular, FC2, STALKER: CS, Dead Space, Crysis, Crysis: WH, Assassin's Creed, HAWX, Bioshock, Cryostasis, list goes on... show better image quality and sometimes nice performance increase over DX9.

New drivers for ati/nvidia for example are showing more popular trend to be better on Vista as they spend more effort for Vista driver support.

Conclusion:

If ur running officer PCs in large scale -> Not worth it to move from XP.

If you are normal user and your PC is somewhat decent or even better, Vista is the way to go. in 64bit of course.
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6204|Winland

I still don't think daffytag is more than one person.

King_County_Downy wrote:

btw, wtf is daffytag? lol

Hint hint, it has something to do with the first post in this thread.

Last edited by Freezer7Pro (2009-04-16 11:27:26)

King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6604|Seattle

Freezer7Pro wrote:

I still don't think daffytag is more than one person.
Ah...

https://xs138.xs.to/xs138/09164/php8suoj2653.jpg

Daffytag is the OP.

I'm an idiot.

https://xs138.xs.to/xs138/09164/monkey374.jpg

Anyways, FUCK VISTA! YEAH!

https://xs138.xs.to/xs138/09164/crazymonkey158.jpg

Sorry daffy
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6460|The Twilight Zone
i see a human face in the monkey's chest (last pic)
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6652

.Sup wrote:

i see a human face in the monkey's chest (last pic)
yea that monkey is seriously tripping some balls
_Dominiko_PL
TITS or gtfo.
+97|6528|Polish state of EU

Freezer7Pro wrote:

QFT

inb4 bsod every ~15 hibernations, which need shitload of time to hibernate the OS
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6421|Finland

_Dominiko_PL wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

QFT

inb4 bsod every ~15 hibernations, which need shitload of time to hibernate the OS
who the hell uses hibernation? first thing I did was remove hibernation files.
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6204|Winland

jamiet757 wrote:

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

_Dominiko_PL wrote:

QFT

who the hell uses hibernation? first thing I did was remove hibernation files.
Truth, the only reason I have hibernation enabled is because I have a UPS and it hibernates the comp when the power goes out so I don't get fubar'd.
That's the gay way of using a UPS. Real men listen to it go RRR and ride out the power outage
jaymz9350
+54|6584

King_County_Downy wrote:

How about this... you run the IT department for 2000+ users all running xp pro.

Some users want to upgrade to Vista cuz it looks prettier.

Do you

a) upgrade 2000 computers and 500 printers to accommodate said knucklheads and spend the next year or so training them on where the fuck everything is now?

or b) Tell them to stfu because there's no real benefit over xp?

It looks pretty. That's it. It's a resource hog and does nothing to improve productivity of aforementioned knucklheads who think they know everything.

Zero benefit to Vista. I repeat. Zero.

So I put it back to you.. Allow? Deny? Allow? Deny?
Well if the OP was asking what OS to use for his 2000+ employee's I'd probably say XP, but for home use I prefer Vista.  Do I see many benefits over XP, not really, but I don't see any disadvantages at all.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard