Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6990|Reykjavík, Iceland.

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Sydney wrote:

Finray wrote:

Okay, I'll take this one.

It's not as user friendly as Windows or OSX.
It is. People are just used to OSX or Windows, and because Linux doesn't behave similarly they automatically think it's non-user-friendly.

Is using a package manager more unfriendly than having to search for applications to perform something online?

Just go to synaptic package manager, search for something, and more likely than not there is an app there that will do that job for you.

Give me a reason Linux is less user friendly than OSX or Windows.
Try installing a Wacom tablet.
Or getting a Synaptics touchpad to work properly.
That's the fault of the manufacturer having closed source drivers released only for certain operating systems.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6344|Winland

Sydney wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Sydney wrote:

It is. People are just used to OSX or Windows, and because Linux doesn't behave similarly they automatically think it's non-user-friendly.

Is using a package manager more unfriendly than having to search for applications to perform something online?

Just go to synaptic package manager, search for something, and more likely than not there is an app there that will do that job for you.

Give me a reason Linux is less user friendly than OSX or Windows.
Try installing a Wacom tablet.
Or getting a Synaptics touchpad to work properly.
That's the fault of the manufacturer having closed source drivers released only for certain operating systems.
Still a 100% valid point.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Sydney
2λчиэλ
Tried using ndiswrapper to import the .inf file of the windows driver? Worked for my lappy's wireless card.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6344|Winland

Sydney wrote:

Tried using ndiswrapper to import the .inf file of the windows driver? Worked for my lappy's wireless card.
That doesn't sound particularly user-friendly.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Sydney
2λчиэλ

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Sydney wrote:

Not for someone who has little or no experience with Linux.

Googling some terminal commands is much easier than trying to navigate some shitty GUI IMO.
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6561|Finland

It depends what you are familiar with and use a lot.

Also, please use http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=124128 when you notice discussion has nothing to do with this thread.
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Shadow893
lel
+75|6839|England
So i'm thinking of getting a 4870 to replace my 8800GT. Is it worth it?

Current one is in my sig and the 4870 is this
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6344|Winland

Sydney wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Sydney wrote:

Not for someone who has little or no experience with Linux.

Googling some terminal commands is much easier than trying to navigate some shitty GUI IMO.
In your opinion.

In everyone elses, downloading X.exe and pressing Next five times is easier.
dill13
+67|6340

Shadow893 wrote:

Itll give you a decent amount of improvment what res do you play games at and if you can strecth your budget 47 go for the 4890 it is way beter at overclocking and will give a 280gtx a run for its money.
Edit: Cant wait for ati or one of their partners to put out a 4890x2 you know its going to happen .

Last edited by dill13 (2009-04-15 09:09:10)

Shadow893
lel
+75|6839|England

dill13 wrote:

Shadow893 wrote:

Itll give you a decent amount of improvment what res do you play games at and if you can strecth your budget 47 go for the 4890 it is way beter at overclocking and will give a 280gtx a run for its money.
Edit: Cant wait for ati or one of their partners to put out a 4890x2 you know its going to happen .
1680x1050

i don't really wanna spend anymore either tbh
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6813

dill13 wrote:

Shadow893 wrote:

Chatter is that a 4890x2 wouldn't be much an improvement over the 4870x2.
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6561|Finland

Ilocano wrote:

hardly a surprise as its just a bit OC'ed HD4870x2....
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
dill13
+67|6340

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

hardly a surprise as its just a bit OC'ed HD4870x2....
Wouldnt it run alot cooler giving more ocing room.
Shadow893 the 4870 is a good choice then id go for it.

Last edited by dill13 (2009-04-15 11:45:31)

GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6561|Finland

dill13 wrote:

Wouldnt it run alot cooler giving more ocing room.
Shadow893 the 4870 is a good choice then id go for it.
It runs hotter than HD4870x2 because of higher vcore at stock = louder fan. Same what happened with HD4890; high rpm fan > cooler but loud
Brasso
+1,549|6777

10% more performance, albeit with more OC headroom.  no thanks, 4870 > 4890 imo.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
PPSKevin
+2|5700|Mukilteo,Washington, USA
nope haven't got a single thing yet, but got a new mod for BF2 (Eve of Destruction 2)
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6805|BC, Canada
swiftech mcp 665 pump
https://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g294/twigmar/MCP655.gif
and chipset waterblock mcw30
https://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g294/twigmar/MCW30.gif
and some algecide
Tech-Knight
+4|5666|USA
https://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e6/jc06902us/nokia-n810-wimax.jpg

This is a Internet tablet...just got it, its awesome!!!!!!!!!!
Tech-Knight
+4|5666|USA
https://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e6/jc06902us/Htc_Mogul_6800_CDMA_Mobile_Phones.jpg

Just got this amazing phone...htc mogul!! its good...just alittle slow(needs more ram) before i had this i had a treo 700wx and that was awesome.....two things wrong with mogul...1 needs more ram 2 sound on/off switch is not hardware (like treo) but this phone is still grreeaattt!!!
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6600|The Twilight Zone

Tech-Knight wrote:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e6/jc … -wimax.jpg

This is a Internet tablet...just got it, its awesome!!!!!!!!!!
looks nice. whats it for?
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6714|NYC / Hamburg

Had some spare cash, so my GTX260's are getting a new home

i7 920, Asus P6T, 3x2GB DDR3-1600, Alpenföhn Brocken (~ about as good as the Noctua or TRUE), couple fans, some case, an 8 port switch and resistance 2 for my PS3.

Pics in a couple hours but first it's time to sleep
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6295|'straya

max wrote:

Had some spare cash, so my GTX260's are getting a new home

i7 920, Asus P6T, 3x2GB DDR3-1600, Alpenföhn Brocken (~ about as good as the Noctua or TRUE), couple fans, some case, an 8 port switch and resistance 2 for my PS3.

Pics in a couple hours but first it's time to sleep
Bastard.
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5689|Toronto
This one is for Freezer

https://www.itcsales.co.uk/acatalog/RF952.jpg
Laptop battery.

My old one gave up after only 1 year at university. Total bullshit.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6512|California
I bought a digital camera??
Wallpaper
+303|6140|The pool

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

I bought a digital camera??
I dont know, did you?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard