Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6752|Scotland

So yeah, I finally gave in and got a PS3 for a nice bargain off a friend. It comes with no games so I have decided to choose 3 to purchase for it.

Now, I have a vague idea of what people are going to suggest : MGS4, LBP and Killzone 2.

But if there is anything different that people can recommend, that would be real cool. Note that I already have an Xbox 360, so preferably it would be best if they were PS3 only games.

Also, I want to connect this up to my Samsung LCD monitor, but after reading a few things, it seems that it's a pain to convert to VGA. HDMI to DVI simple converter should do the trick, right?

Thanks.
Kez
+778|5699|London, UK
Formula 1: Championship Edition
GT5 Prologue or whatever it's called

Last edited by Kptk92 :D (2009-04-09 05:47:56)

madmurre
I suspect something is amiss
+117|6707|Sweden
Motostorm PR - very fun arcade racing definitly worth a look.

Buzz - if you play allot with friends its great fun. ( unfortunely the PS2 versions are better way to few modes in PS3 version and it feels very rushed and incomplete in comparission )
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6752|Scotland

Not really into car games, but I'll look into the F1 game.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5785|Catherine Black
KZ2, that nazi zombie one (get the first one, not the second, heard it sucks), Guitar Hero 3, picked it up the other day for £25 with guitar..
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
little big planet is mario like fun
the new cod looks awesome on there
motorstorm, yeah is fun - i think there is a free demo you can dl in the ps3 store?
r'Eeee
That's how I roll, BITCH!
+311|6445

Check out Valkyrie Chronicles MAAAAAAN!!!!
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6571|London

r'Eeee wrote:

Check out Valkyrie Chronicles MAAAAAAN!!!!
lol aint seen you in ages
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6752|Scotland

No other suggestions? This is poor. And I thought this place was full of PS3 fans.

Valkyrie Chronicles? Hmm.
madmurre
I suspect something is amiss
+117|6707|Sweden
Oh i forgot Buy Pixeljunk Monsters from PS3 Store most epic towerdefense game ever created Coop mode is a blast tbh the best game all categorys i have played in a couple of years.
[CSE]Anubis
+24|5989
Bioshock.  That is if you don't have it on Xbox or PC already.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6464

Zimmer wrote:

No other suggestions? This is poor. And I thought this place was full of PS3 fans.

It's a Japanese "role-playing" game.

I would avoid it.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6534|Long Island, New York
Get MGS4 now and wait for InFamous. Looks decent enough.

Nice to see you finally took the plunge though - now you've got the best of both worlds like I do.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6661|NT, like Mick Dundee

Jaysus Krist I swear I've seen this exact thread before with all the same replies.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6763|UK
LBP
Killzone 2
Resistance 2
Drakes Uncharted
Ratchet and Clank Future
Valkyria Chronicles
MGS4

Then the platinum games like Motorstorm, Resistance, infact think Ratchet and Clank is now.

Then the PSN games like Pixel Junk Monsters, Wipeout HD
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6752|Scotland

[CSE]Anubis wrote:

Bioshock.  That is if you don't have it on Xbox or PC already.
Completed on both.

@ Vilham : MGS4 is platinum as well
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6564|NYC / Hamburg

Resistance 2 is pretty fun.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
FrankieSpankie3388
Hockey Nut
+243|6527|Boston, MA

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

It's a Japanese "role-playing" game.

I would avoid it.
I still don't understand how it's a "role-playing" game. It's so much more of a strategy game than anything else...

Anyway, here are my suggestions:

Metal Gear Solid 4 - You're stupid if you have a PS3 and don't play this game. I'm not saying this as a PS3 fanboy or anything, in fact this is the only MGS4 that I've beaten entirely by myself, and it is an amazing experience. It is the only game that I have ever played in my life that I could play all day and when I go to bed, I want to get out to continue playing. I had to drop literally everything else to keep playing this one.

Resistance 2 - It's basically the Halo for PS3 so if you like FPS on consoles you could definitely pick this one up. The Co-op is really fun to play online but in my opinion it starts to get boring kind of quickly. I'm not a big fan of competitive so I only really play this game once in a while. But then again it did keep me entertained for like 3-4 months so maybe I'm being too harsh since it took that long to get kind of bored of it. Resistance 1 is good too but I would assume the online community is mostly dead.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift - I know you said you don't care too much for driving games but this one is really fun. It's nothing too serious like Gran Turismo or a NASCAR game, it's a really good arcade racer. It has a very low learning curve so you should be able to pick it up and just start enjoying it right away. The late races in the game are difficult but by then you should really be getting the hang of the game. The online is really fun too.

Valkyria Chronicles - Don't let the branded "JRPG" scare you off from this because I still don't understand how it's considered a RPG. Sure the story is an obvious Japanese one but once you get past that biased thought, it's a great game. It's practically a strategy war game where you control each member of your squad and you can tell them where to aim for (what body part) and there are a lot of variables so strategy is key. Some of the stages can be kind of long but you can ever save during battles so you never have to feel like you have a lot of time to play it. There's probably like 20 hours of gameplay so it's not too too long but it's not short either.

Uncharted - Drake's Fortune - There really isn't anything to hate about this game. Think of the first Tomb Raider that was awesome and mix in a similar combat engine to Gears of War where there's cover and at times several enemies all around you, put it all in a tropical setting and you already have a feel for the game. The story line is pretty cool too. This game definitely doesn't disappoint.

Heavenly Sword - This was one of the premier exclusives when the system still came out and it seems to have lost its shine since. I don't know why since it was an amazing game. It's basically hack and slash game with brilliant graphics and a good, comical story line. The only weird part of this game was when you control Kai with her bow and arrow since you get to control the arrow with the sixaxis which takes a bit of getting used to. But once you get the hang of that, you'll love this game. However, I suggest renting it because it's only like 5 hours long.

SOCOM: Confrontation - I'm sure you know what SOCOM's like. It's just a realistic third person shooter that's all online. A lot of people complained about it for some reason but I really like it. Unfortunately I don't know anybody else with the game so I don't play it much anymore. If you know a couple people with this game that are still willing to play it, definitely pick it up.

Then there's what to come: God of War 3, MAG, Uncharted 2, and Gran Turismo 5. Also if you like baseball games, MLB: The Show is supposed to be incredible.

Edit - I didn't include KZ2 or LBP because I still haven't played either one yet.

Last edited by FrankieSpankie3388 (2009-04-09 09:56:01)

GravyDan
Back from the Grave(y)
+768|5928|CA
Uncharted:  Drake's Fortune
MGS 4
Heavenly Sword

These are the PS3 exclusive games that I had the most fun with.  LBP, although fun, was an over-rated 2-D platformer.  Resistance seemed to be a paint by the numbers FPS with some inventive environments, yet it is not the monster some would have you believe.  The Motostorm series was the most over-rated of all the PS3 exclusives; fun in bursts, but lacking in overall depth and replayability.

All things considered, the PS3 exclusive list is rather weak.  MGS4 and Uncharted are the only two "must own" titles, as I see it.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6651

You really do need to get MGS4 and KZ2 and LBP.

Others I've got on my wishlist: Resistance 2 and Resistance: FoM (first R. game), Burnout Paradise (I hate car games with a passion but Burnout is an amazing exception), Ratchet and Clank Future (I've only played the demo of this, but I own and have beaten all the R&C games on PS2 and they were awesome, it's a 3rd-person platformer/shooter, you get some pretty awesome guns and blow up some shit in very stylistic ways, it's real fun)
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6623|UK
Can't go wrong with GTA, tbh.
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6710|Purplicious Wisconsin
I just have motorstorm PR that I don't play as I am not a racing game fan, Socom Confrontation which I haven't played in awhile, and cod5 which I play all the time.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6617|London, England
Uncharted (you must play this game, besides you should be able to find it for dirt cheap)
MGS4
And GTA IV if you haven't played it yet

Also Burnout Paradise, Motorstorm Pacific Rift, Midnight Club: LA

You should be able to get all these games for cheap tbh cos they've all been out for awhile
SofaKing18
L33TGamerz.com
+7|5495|Rainbowland
MGS4, Resistance, GTA4
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6752|Scotland

I got GTAIV on the Xbox. I don't need another copy of it.

Ok, so MGS4 should be coming today. The other main reccommendations you have given me are Uncharted, Resistance 2, Killzone 2 and Valkyria Chronicles.

Hm...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard