Daniel_Malloy
+0|6618|Mars
I was always wondering how we can still have people cheating in-game (you know, one shot kills for guns that come no where close and deaths for no reason, ect). I found out that Punk Buster is set to scan your computer every 20 seconds. Good idea to make sure they don't load their game up and then start cheating. Well, guess what? I found out that you can set your Punk Buster to update every 500 SECONDS!! That's slightly over 8 minutes. All of us people who don't cheat get screwed by them slowing down our computers scanning every 20 seconds and all these cheaters find a way to cheat AND speed up their game performance! I won't EVEN start talking about stat hacking. I could go on that forever!!!
Nexar
Banned
+1|6679
OMFG WTF is going on, ARE THE BRITISH COMMING?@#
Vampira_NB
Trying is the first step to failing
+76|6674|Canada Eh?
QUICK, get to the lanterns!
One if by land, two if by sea!
JimKong
+31|6643|Ohio

Daniel_Malloy wrote:

I found out that you can set your Punk Buster to update every 500 SECONDS!! That's slightly over 8 minutes.
How? I wonder if it would make a noticable performance iincrease.
Sgt.Abyss
+2|6782
Instead of getting kicked/banned after 20 seconds they get kicked/banned after 8 mins... still not very useful imo...
MuseSeeker
2142 Soldier: Behenaut
+110|6776|EUR
wow 8 minutes. Or maybe they have hacks much smarter then PB.
Daniel_Malloy
+0|6618|Mars
If you want to set it up, here is how to do it cause I figure anyone who doesn't know about it by now must not be a cheater/hacker. Load up BF2 and join a server, preferably an EA official. open up the command menu using the  `  key if you haven't changed it to something you can't bump accidentally. After you open the menu up, type in the following without the quotation marks: "pb_sleep 500" then type in "pb_writecfg". that will set PB to update every 500 seconds. When I changed it on my comp, it seemed to  speed it up a lot. Especially when i first join a server and load a new map. I still don't like using PB since there seems to be so many cheaters still. What if people stored their "cheating" files on a thumb drive or a cd? Like anything else, people who cheat find ways to get past them and the people who don't get screwed.

Hmmm, I still wonder how many points they could get in 7 minutes while cheating.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Desire for gain and fear of loss burn like fire."
-Dorothy Norman
lord_tyler_486
+54|6753|Upper Franconia
Yes you can set the PB scan delay up to 500 secs; and the PUNKBUSTER TEAM even recommends setting it up [I've read this on sectretsofbattlefield.com]
Vampira_NB
Trying is the first step to failing
+76|6674|Canada Eh?
If it'll improve performance then I'm doing it
graag
+7|6676
MILLIseconds, not seconds. You really can't cheat much in that time. Or you have to be very, very fast.
Daniel_Malloy
+0|6618|Mars
From everything I have read, it is SECONDS. There are very few computers that would be able to scan an average hard drive of 100 gigs every 500 MILLI seconds, let alone the default of 20.  I REALLY doubt it is in milli seconds.
graag
+7|6676
It is a timeslice - in it PB client activates, does a part of its job (scan, communicate with server, prepare screenshots) and deactivates itself till the new wakeup. Besides it never does a full disk scans - only critical files (game executable, DirectX libraries etc) and memory are scanned.

Check http://www.evenbalance.com/publications … /index.htm for more information.
JimKong
+31|6643|Ohio

Vampira_NB wrote:

If it'll improve performance then I'm doing it
It did nothing for me. Unless you have to change and save it everytime you join a server.
PunkX
stoned
+198|6624|Canada
someone call the french to fight them off!
Daniel_Malloy
+0|6618|Mars
As long as you type in the "pb_writecfg", it will be saved and will be ready for every time you join. And graag was right about the milli seconds things,

"PB_Sleep [Period]
Holds the period of time (milliseconds) that PunkBuster "sleeps" between processing cycles; the default is 60; lower numbers will cause PunkBuster to process events more times each second which also has the effect of increasing the bandwidth used by PunkBuster; Players with a modem connection will probably want to set this as high as possible."

That is the definition from BP's site. Sorry graag. I suggest everyone read about PB and know how to use the commands like Power kick, since BF2's kick doesn't seem to do much as far as showing how bad a player the person being kicked really is. http://www.evenbalance.com/publications … tegration.
-=S8M=-Phoenix
+45|6794|South Cybertown, Texas
I have mine set for min scan ("pb_sleep 500") and yes it does seem to help.
Daniel_Malloy
+0|6618|Mars
It hleped with mine, glad to hear it helped with yours. I still don't quite understand PB, but I'm getting better about using it.
KillerYaNk
Hard Case
+11|6682|S.E. United States
JimKong wrote:
How? I wonder if it would make a noticable performance iincrease.

bring down the command prompt(`) while your in a server playing and type   pb_sleep 500 then type in    pb_writecfg  this will save it to you BF2 files

I have done this with no bad preformance side effects
also the "problem with your connection" only happens once in a blue moon...
bennisboy
+829|6647|Poundland
jus a quick question, after typing 'pb_sleep 500' do you press enter or type the rest straight away?
Daniel_Malloy
+0|6618|Mars
You press enter then type in the pb_writecfg and hit enter again. Sorry for not saying tha directly.
Elamdri
The New Johnnie Cochran
+134|6647|Peoria
lol, you thought the punkbuster sleep setting was a way to cheat? Jeez. I mean no offense, but you gotta check stuff like that before you make that kinda statement.
Daniel_Malloy
+0|6618|Mars
I did check it out. What i saw was not entirely correct. I posted thinking that if it was wrong, someone WOULD CORRECT ME. And I NEVER said it was a WAY to cheat. I stated "all these cheaters find a way to cheat AND speed up their game performance." From what i was told at the time, it was a doorway they could open to allow them more time to use their hacks. From stuff that I have discovered in other forums, It sounds like all they have to do now is go buy a hack and not even have to worry about PB.
BudRell
+2|6838|Home
Thehe...believe me, cheaters do NOT use any PB_SLEEP or other PB_ commands.
They don't have to.
They just cheat.
Punkbuster does not check ALL possible systems, files or processes on client PC. If it would, the game would be unplayable.

And yes, too many players has bought that MSX shit but that's not the only cheat that works. Unfortunately.
One way is to use a software that tells BF2 that players PC is "lo-end" even if you had really HI-END PC. That way you can, in a way, alter your "game speed".
As I have told 10^10 times, only assholes and mentally degraded are using them.

Last edited by BudRell (2006-03-25 22:53:21)

{A.I}TheBusDriver
+2|6614

Daniel_Malloy wrote:

I was always wondering how we can still have people cheating in-game (you know, one shot kills for guns that come no where close and deaths for no reason, ect). I found out that Punk Buster is set to scan your computer every 20 seconds. Good idea to make sure they don't load their game up and then start cheating. Well, guess what? I found out that you can set your Punk Buster to update every 500 SECONDS!! That's slightly over 8 minutes. All of us people who don't cheat get screwed by them slowing down our computers scanning every 20 seconds and all these cheaters find a way to cheat AND speed up their game performance! I won't EVEN start talking about stat hacking. I could go on that forever!!!
YEAH NICE JOB YOU FUCKING N00B, YOU JUST TOLD EVERYONE AT BF2S WHO DIDNT KNOW ABOUT THIS HOW TO CHEAT.  IM SURE WERE NOW GONNA SEE A SPIKE IN ASSFUCKING CHEATERS BECAUSE OF THIS POST.............SO GOOD JOB!!!!!
Daniel_Malloy
+0|6618|Mars

{A.I}TheBusDriver wrote:

YEAH NICE JOB YOU FUCKING N00B, YOU JUST TOLD EVERYONE AT BF2S WHO DIDNT KNOW ABOUT THIS HOW TO CHEAT.  IM SURE WERE NOW GONNA SEE A SPIKE IN ASSFUCKING CHEATERS BECAUSE OF THIS POST.............SO GOOD JOB!!!!!
Well well well, I'm not the dumbest BF2 player around. WE HAVE FOUND OUR WINNER!!! Now, since we know you can't read well, I'll put it as simply as I can. PB only scans the BF2 folder and its own folder. PB sleep setting is in MILLI SECONDS NOT SECONDS as mentioned in this thread and pointed out to me. If someone wanted to cheat, they would have already cheated by now, unless you’re referring to the ones like you who have trouble reading and probably can't use Google. By the looks of other forums, all someone who wants to cheat has to do is go buy a hack instead of having to search for one. So, you wanna pick on NOOBS, let us all hope you can find one dumber than you, or go back running to your clan mates cause I hurt your fellings; WAAA WAAAA WAAAA (12 year-old starts running away from computer crying).

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard