Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6547|San Diego, CA, USA
Immigrant tuition bill sneaks out of panel

The Colorado Statesman wrote:

4/03/2009

By Jason Kosena
THE COLORADO STATESMAN

When the cat’s away, the mice will play.

Early Wednesday morning, Senate Democrats, led by Abel Tapia, of Pueblo, and Chris Romer, of Denver, pushed Senate Bill 170, which would allow undocumented immigrants to pay in-state tuition at public universities and colleges. Democrats hold a 6-4 majority on the Senate Appropriations Committee, where the bill has been sitting for weeks. However, Sen. Moe Keller, D-Wheat Ridge, doesn’t support the legislation, and the Democrats had been stalling a vote out of fear of a tie, which would kill it.
Comment: This fucking sucks.  My roommate is playing by the rules and because his company went out of business he has to leave the country.  But fucking illegal immigrants thwarting the system can stay here and pay IN-STATE tution...that's fucked up.

Gee wiz.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6403|North Carolina
Remember how I mentioned that Colorado rocks?  I take that back.  Fuck them.
topal63
. . .
+533|6716
Another riddle,

What do these have in common?
A Chinese worker
A Indonesian worker
An Illegal alien working in America
Turquoise
O Canada

topal63 wrote:

Another riddle,

A Chinese worker
A Indonesian worker
Indeed...  cheap labor that the powers that be would like to enfranchise just a little bit.
topal63
. . .
+533|6716

Turquoise wrote:

topal63 wrote:

Another riddle,

A Chinese worker
A Indonesian worker
Indeed...  cheap labor that the powers that be would like to enfranchise just a little bit.
Yeppers,

And for those that desire border-less capitalist corporate empires, national sovereignty is meaningless. Erase the borders--all is permitted if it benefits the powers that be, whether moving jobs overseas (ignoring the border) or allowing them to cross the border illegally (once again: ignoring the border).
Turquoise
O Canada

topal63 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

topal63 wrote:

Another riddle,

A Chinese worker
A Indonesian worker
Yeppers,

And for those that desire border-less capitalist corporate empires, national sovereignty is meaningless. Erase the borders--all is permitted if it benefits the powers that be, whether moving jobs overseas (ignoring the border) or allowing them to cross the border illegally (once again: ignoring the border).
It's like that scene from Austin Powers...  "There are no countries, Dr. Evil, there are only corporations."
LiamPK
+2|5801|Middlesbrough
These laws are made on the assumption that "immigrants" are to be of a worse of situation than the average american. It is "the veil of ignorance" principle in action.

They also do well to piss people off and divide the working classes into little groups, fighting the same problem.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5584

Why the hell are they even let go to college?
Instead paying for some illegals to get cheaper education they should pay to make it cheaper for the average people.
LiamPK
+2|5801|Middlesbrough
Well they are people at the end of the day. Aren't they?
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5584

LiamPK wrote:

Well they are people at the end of the day. Aren't they?
Well that's debatable
The thing is they are here not paying taxes and contributing but often times getting more gifts and privileges from the government then the citizens.
Then people get angry with me when I say I don't care for other Hispanics
LiamPK
+2|5801|Middlesbrough
There not contribituing to society now, but when they graduate, surely they will contribute then? What if they become doctor's and help the rest of soceity?

If they stayed within a low income job by refusing to go to college, they would likely pay less income tax and other taxes.

This legislation is to correct problem's but this intervention create's new problem's I can not see the problem with upward social mobility.

Last edited by LiamPK (2009-04-04 17:12:45)

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5584

LiamPK wrote:

There not contribituing to society now, but when they graduate, surely they will contribute then? What if they become doctor's and help the rest of soceity?

If they stayed within a low income job by refusing to go to college, they would likely pay less income tax and other taxes.
An illegal alien doctor? Good luck getting medical insurance and linencsing to practice.
Turquoise
O Canada

LiamPK wrote:

This legislation is to correct problem's but this intervention create's new problem's I can not see the problem with upward social mobility.
I see what you're saying, but you do realize that this is a slap in the face to legal immigrants.

The guest worker program that Bush came up with was actually a good compromise.  Giving in-state tuition to them is just insane though.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
Yep...its definitely a slap in the face for legal immigrants.

My roommate's company went under and he can't renew his work visa.  He's been trying to get his residency (that's a pre-requisite before getting your green-card before becoming a citizen), but never got it for the last 5 years he's been in the country.

He's trying to find another company to work for, but as you know anyone on a work visa can only be hired AFTER exhausting the search for citizens - so that's very unlikely.

He can't get a student-visa to say in the country because they won't let you get one after you've had a work visa.

So he has to leave the county at the end of the month.  He's doing everything legally and following procedure yet he's going to have to leave the country.  It fucking sucks - I can't tell you how pissed I am.

And then I hear this story about ILLEGAL aliens getting in-state tuition...heck I couldn't even get in-state tuition if I decided to go take classes in Colorado...wtf...Gee wiz...fucking Democrats.

grrr
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5584

Warhammer wrote:

You know part of the reason for this bill is to make sure illegals vote for their side, and to let rely on government more in the future.
Illegals can't vote hence why they are deemed illegal.
Warhammer
+18|5679
You know part of the reason for this bill is to make sure illegals vote for their side, and to let them rely on government more in the future.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5584

You delete your post then repost it under the other person why?
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found

Macbeth wrote:

Warhammer wrote:

You know part of the reason for this bill is to make sure illegals vote for their side, and to let rely on government more in the future.
In California if you know someone's address and their name you can vote (no ID or anything).  So if you show up and they don't you basically voted for them.
Turquoise
O Canada

Harmor wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Warhammer wrote:

In California if you know someone's address and their name you can vote (no ID or anything).  So if you show up and they don't you basically voted for them.
Wow, that's pretty fucked up...

I don't think I'll ever understand the opposition to showing your ID at a voting place.  If you don't have an ID of some sort, you're probably not legal.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6714
sucks to be an immigrant who went through the right steps to come here legally... This is beyond f*cked up along with many other things that are happening with the out of control democrats(and republicans)... I read something more nuts everyday... and i think... are these friggin people for real... yes they are and its scary... 2010...vote out all incumbents... and do it every election until things get better or we go down the drain...
Love is the answer
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5700|College Park, MD
lol

My family paid who knows how much money and I had to wait about 1.5 years (pretty good compared to other cases) for my green card, and I can't get in-state at somewhere like Virginia Tech.

Meanwhile, someone who breaks the law can get it in Colorado
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6714
UPDATE: The bill has been squashed... there is some sanity....

Democratic Sens. Morgan Carroll of Aurora, Jim Isgar of Hesperus, Moe Keller of Wheat Ridge, Linda Newell of Littleton and Lois Tochtrop of Thornton voted against the bill.

Carroll, after the debate, referred reporters to a statement on her website that said she could not support the bill “in a climate where the state is cutting or eliminating over $1 billion of benefits to the people and is facing a $300 million cut to higher education, which virtually ends higher education as we know it in the state of Colorado.”

Isgar and Tochtrop made similar comments about cuts to colleges, while Keller declined comment on her vote.

Newell, who was elected in November by a razor-thin margin, simply said “I listened to my constituents” when asked about her vote.

And...
http://michellemalkin.com/2008/05/14/no … -students/
The N.C. Community College System will no longer allow illegal immigrants to enroll in curriculum degree programs.

Community college officials made the announcement on Tuesday in response to recent advice from N.C. Attorney General Roy Cooper’s office.

“We asked the Attorney General’s Office for clarification of our present policy and will abide by their advice,” N.C. Community College System President R. Scott Ralls said in a statement. “We will continue to be a primary source of economic advancement for the state by providing world-class education and work force training to every student eligible to enroll.”

Tuesday’s announcement reverses the policy updated in November, which stated all 58 community colleges could admit illegal aliens who pay out-of-state tuition, are 18 years or older and high school graduates. At the time, the Attorney General’s office supported the N.C. Community College System’s “open door” policy.

Cooper’s office suggested to community college officials last week to drop the open admissions policy. Under federal law, the state would have to pass a law to allow illegal aliens admission to community colleges, the office said.

Common sense is a good thing...

Last edited by [TUF]Catbox (2009-04-06 19:24:29)

Love is the answer
imortal
+240|6663|Austin, TX

Turquoise wrote:

Harmor wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Wow, that's pretty fucked up...

I don't think I'll ever understand the opposition to showing your ID at a voting place.  If you don't have an ID of some sort, you're probably not legal.
...well, they DO (officially) check that name against voter registration records.  Remember those voter registration drives, where people were filling out four or five cards, whenever someone came up and asked them?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard