trex1210
I am Canadian
+72|6229|B.C. Canada
I started running about 2 months ago. I run 1.6km which 4 laps around a 400 meter track about 3 times a week and I need to bump that up to 5km by summer. The thing is I fucking hate running. It just plain sucks, their is nothing fun about it.
I barely manage to make it to the track and I am just wondering if there is any runners on this forum that has any advice/tips for me to keep going because I really need it.
Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6417|Boulder, CO
I just listen to music, though I always just go a section of road that i know to be .3 of a mile over and over till i get to my chosen distance. Its somehow alot more interesting than track running.

EDIT: 5k isn't hard to do so you should do fine.

Further edit. Run a longer distance tbh 1.6km is too short really to get you into shape for a 5k, i suggest just skipping to 2.0 or some such.

Last edited by Noobeater (2009-04-03 14:02:39)

cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6443|Kakanien
don't run on a track
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6726|Scotland

Why do you really need it?

I used to run a lot but my motivation was pure enjoyment. The feeling of your legs collapsing after a hard run whilst Wilco - Impossible Germany is playing in your ears is just amazing. You can't beat it.

Why don't you run somewhere else than the track? Try the city or a suburb or something. It's usually more enjoyable and interesting.
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6126|Vancouver | Canada
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum
pm m3thod

oh, and when i used to run (rarely) i used to go and run in the country - nice and calm.

Last edited by FatherTed (2009-04-03 14:05:07)

Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6736|UK
when i used to run, i did track at school and country side at home. track was good for measuring the distance well, u get into a nice rhythm too. Country side was just more enjoyable though, clean air etc.

Last edited by Vilham (2009-04-03 14:18:04)

trex1210
I am Canadian
+72|6229|B.C. Canada
Well I really need it because I am going to Basic Training for the military at the end of summer and need to run 5k. So I should probably aim for at least 8k. I choose to run the track simply because I know the distance of each lap.
I am going to give running around my neighbourhood a try tonight.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6491|Austin, Texas

trex1210 wrote:

Well I really need it because I am going to Basic Training for the military at the end of summer and need to run 5k. So I should probably aim for at least 8k. I choose to run the track simply because I know the distance of each lap.
I am going to give running around my neighbourhood a try tonight.
Running somewhere is a lot better than running. I prefer to run with music too, keeps your mind off the running bit. Try and concentrate on other things while running - if you think about it too much, you'll become weak mentally.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5758|Catherine Black
Music, varied tracks, cross-country, splash in puddles.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6463|N. Ireland
I should really start taking advantage of the cemetery beside me before I end up in there.
-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|6624
Music helps enormously.  It makes a world of difference in terms of helping you ease into a good rhythm, and helps you ignore the fact that your breathing is becoming more labored, etc...basically, it helps you get into the "zone".  I have asthma, but I swear that listening to music is almost as important to my being able to run a longer distance (as in more than a mile, heh) as using my inhaler. 

Also, hydration is super important.  It sounds obvious, but I can't stress this enough...if I run 5k having only drank at "normal" times throughout the day (say, a glass of juice/water in the morning, with lunch, and then another glass or so at some other point in the day), I will probably feel a lot more tired than if I consistently made myself drink a little extra throughout the day.  Typically, on days where I know the forecast is nice, I start drinking "extra" water around lunch time, and then jog after work/class in the evening - an extra bottle or two of water makes me feel completely different at the end of 5k.  Instead of feeling like I NEED to stop at the end, I usually feel almost invigorated at the end.  It sounds cheesy, but I've found it to be true.

My buddy was in the Marines and he said they stress hydration to a high degree (it gets hot over in the sandbox...), but he agreed with me that it truly makes a world of difference.

Physiologically, hydrating not only provides water that your body needs, but it also increases overall blood volume (remember, your body is mostly water), which means there is essentially more blood available to flow through your body, which translates to more oxygen being available for your muscles to utilize.  This helps delay the onset of muscle fatigue, and thus keeps you from tiring so fast.

Last edited by -CARNIFEX-[LOC] (2009-04-03 14:50:43)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12516/Bitch%20Hunter%20Sig.jpg
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6702|St. Andrews / Oslo

Don't run on a track, it's boring as shit.

Running in the woods is best. With the slopes and uneven terrain you get better endurance, better balance & coordination and have a much more enjoyable run. Running one long round is better than many short ones, and buy a pedometer or something that'll measure the distance for you. You can start off without the music and enjoy the peacefulness of the woods, and start the music when you get tired, or listen to music the whole way.

And the best way to improve your endurance (and in a lot of cases entertainment) is running intervals. Like, run for 4 minutes, jog slowly to regain your breath, run for 4 minutes, etc. Try to keep yourself just under the Lactic acid level (I dunno if you use this term in english, oh well). This is picked up from friends/random places, so it might not be 100% correct, but should be about right.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
madmurre
I suspect something is amiss
+117|6681|Sweden

Jenspm wrote:

Running in the woods is best.
This.

About music i use it in the city theres nothing interesting listening to there anyways but out in the woods or countryside i prefer without, the nature plays for you try it.

Have a friend to tag along? beeing 2 often makes it easier you´ll push yourself harder.

You should go out for a minimum of 2-3km imo theres hardly any distance at all even if you have no training at all. The important is not the run itself in the beginning dont worry if you run/walk/run/walk. try jogging for 5 minutes than if needed walk for 2-3 then 5 minutes more you´ll remove that walk soon.

Most people i see jogging for their first times thinks its a 400m lap it aint, start sloooooow you should be able to go for a long time the pace and speed will come with time and distance.

Edit: Oh and dont forget to have fun thats the most important part!

Last edited by madmurre (2009-04-03 15:29:59)

justice
OctoPoster
+978|6711|OctoLand
I'm kinda in the same boat...running a 10k run in london in May....can only manage 3 or 4 right now :S

I don't usually listen to music, but I'll give it a ago. As for where I run, I run on a mile long stretch of beach, so that's not a problem
I know fucking karate
argo4
Stand and Deliver
+86|5903|United States
run in the streets, go see places. Music helps tremendously as well as good running shoes and cooler weather
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6745|Noizyland

cl4u53w1t2 & Jenspm wrote:

Don't run on a track
Wise words.

Track running is boring as batshit. Run somewhere interesting. If you're concerned that you want be able to know how far you've been take a car and plot the distance out or alternatively there is some prety nifty mapping software out there; that's how a mate of mine maps out his runs.

Also 5kms isn't much at all, my suggestion is to not "build up" but actually just go for the full distance. 1.6kms three times a week will not improve your fitness, it's simply too little. If you still want to run a short distance though time yourself. For 1.6kms I'd expect you to be able to do that in 8-9 minutes max at a 3/4-speed jog. Make sure you don't go above this time and try to go faster all the time. Personally when I don't have enough time for a long run I do a 2.4km time-trial - for the NZ Army the bare minimum fitness standard is to run this distance in twelve minutes or less.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
trex1210
I am Canadian
+72|6229|B.C. Canada
Alright guys thanks a lot for the replies.
I think I got a spot to run picked out. Its a trail with a few hills and some stairs. I have no idea the distance of the trail so I will have to figure that out but I know that it is fairly long and if I run through it a couple times it should be good.
As Ty and Noobeater mentioned 1.6k isn't going to do shit and it hasn't so far so I well step it up to 3k for a couple weeks and see how that goes.

Last edited by trex1210 (2009-04-03 17:25:46)

Gfinners
+17|6273|Cornwall, England
If you've got a wood or forest (whatever you call them) nearby with decent tracks/paths that's pretty handy. The random little hills here and there help.
SealXo
+309|6506
dont run on a track or treadmill its all about the scenery

i do sprints though so im forced ):
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6736|UK

Ty wrote:

Don't run on a track
Wise words.

Track running is boring as batshit. Run somewhere interesting. If you're concerned that you want be able to know how far you've been take a car and plot the distance out or alternatively there is some prety nifty mapping software out there; that's how a mate of mine maps out his runs.

Also 5kms isn't much at all, my suggestion is to not "build up" but actually just go for the full distance. 1.6kms three times a week will not improve your fitness, it's simply too little. If you still want to run a short distance though time yourself. For 1.6kms I'd expect you to be able to do that in 8-9 minutes max at a 3/4-speed jog. Make sure you don't go above this time and try to go faster all the time. Personally when I don't have enough time for a long run I do a 2.4km time-trial - for the NZ Army the bare minimum fitness standard is to run this distance in twelve minutes or less.
If I can do 4 miles in 25 minutes at my literally shit stamina, asthma kicks in and my throat closes up, then he should definately be able to do that.
madmurre
I suspect something is amiss
+117|6681|Sweden

Vilham wrote:

Ty wrote:

Don't run on a track
Wise words.

If I can do 4 miles in 25 minutes at my literally shit stamina, asthma kicks in and my throat closes up, then he should definately be able to do that.
1 mile = 1.6km? than thats very decent and having asthma i would say you carry some excellent genetics. Under 4.0min/km is quite fast imo and under no circumstances shitty stamina for such a distance.
The A W S M F O X
I Won't Deny It
+172|5654|SQUID
run
elite.mafia
Banned
+122|6424|USA
run until u fall over from exhaustion, then turn around and run back home
Seriously push yourself as hard as you can. Music helps, I like running with friends though.
Remember this though- run with good shoes, always stretch before you run, stretch after you run, and don't abruptly stop as this can be unhealthy, jog in place if you have to... when you are done, slow your pace down, then walk, then stretch again.
I got shin splints once from running - it wasn't fun. I wore bad shoes (really thin pumas) and didn't stretch very good... So make sure you don't wear bad shoes.
trex1210
I am Canadian
+72|6229|B.C. Canada
I have an "okay" pair of running shoes and I am going to invest in a good pair fairly soon.
Well running in the morning be as effective as running at night? I want to go out and run about 30 minutes after I wake up.
Also can you guys list some of the tunes (music) you listen to while running. My music selection sucks. Thanks.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard