.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6424|The Twilight Zone

Cybargs wrote:

.Sup wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

It's like a fucking yeast infection though, give them an inch and they'll take a mile.

Hi I'm the government, you aren't eating properly, you aren't watching the right media, you aren't doing things right, now go to prison.

Bit far fetched, but ya know what i mean.
I only agree with this (with the government)  "Government is becoming more controlling every single day." when gun related. Our personal life on the other hand (tapping phones as a legal action)...
Theres gotta be control to guns. But it's how much control is the question. Best way by doing so isn't taxing the bullets, since most people who buy a shitload of bullets shoot guns for a hobby, but to tax the guns itself and continue to pay tax for them like owning a car.
That works but not for those who buy them on the black market (and most crocks buy them there)
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6687

.Sup wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

.Sup wrote:

I only agree with this (with the government)  "Government is becoming more controlling every single day." when gun related. Our personal life on the other hand (tapping phones as a legal action)...
Theres gotta be control to guns. But it's how much control is the question. Best way by doing so isn't taxing the bullets, since most people who buy a shitload of bullets shoot guns for a hobby, but to tax the guns itself and continue to pay tax for them like owning a car.
That works but not for those who buy them on the black market (and most crocks buy them there)
Where'd you think they got their guns in the first place? Were talking about US here, not Africa though.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6635|NT, like Mick Dundee

Cybargs wrote:

.Sup wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Where'd you think they got their guns in the first place? Were talking about US here, not Africa though.
From the shops legally!
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6687

Flecco wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

.Sup wrote:

From the shops legally!
Tax that shit yo, paying $2000 for a hand gun isn't something that someone from the ghetto could usually afford.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6424|The Twilight Zone

Cybargs wrote:

Flecco wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

From the shops legally!
Tax that shit yo, paying $2000 for a hand gun isn't something that someone from the ghetto could usually afford.
I think that will only encourage people who own and fire guns for a hobby to obtain them illegally thus making more profit for those who illegally import guns.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6687

.Sup wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Flecco wrote:

From the shops legally!
I think that will only encourage people who own and fire guns for a hobby to obtain them illegally thus making more profit for those who illegally import guns.
Reason for gang related violence is usually drugs. Cut off drugs, you got a lot less deaths.
seymorebutts443
Ready for combat
+211|6565|Belchertown Massachusetts, USA

Vilham wrote:

seymorebutts443 wrote:

In a perfect justice system then yes, the police are your best defense against criminals. However no system can be perfect, why can't people realize this yet. If i am a criminal and i break into a home with a gun, or i mug someone with a gun with the knowledge that no one is carrying a firearm or owns one then what is stopping me. If i attempt to commit the same crimes with the knowledge that the people i am mugging/robbing are carrying or own a firearm then i would probably second guess it. Another thing is, controlling guns probably won't work. If you pass a law saying that guns are pretty much banned outside of law enforcement and military personnel, criminals can still get the guns, it may not be legally but they still can get them and use them. This completely defeats the purpose of the law, law abiding citizens who don't own firearms can't defend themselves against the gun toting criminals. tried to explain it the best i could.
According to the Bureau of Justice statistics and the UK home office:

Percentage of violent crimes in which a gun was used.
US - 9% (only includes non-fatal incidents)
UK - 1% (includes fatal and non-fatal incidents)

Crimes comitted using a firearm
US - ~ 400,000
UK - ~ 10,000 multiply this by the difference in populace gives 58,000 crimes if England and Wales had the same populace as the USA. Around 35% of these involved replica or paintball guns. Only 15% involved any serious injury.

Firearm homicides

US - 10,100  (2005)
England & Wales - 52  (2007)

42% of robberies in the US were comitted with a firearm.
1% of robberies in the UK were comitted with a firearm.

An armed populace forces the criminals to arm themselves. The notion that criminals will arm themselves regardless of the laws is not true.
thats great, now explain it instead of re quoting some text. the old adage of 86.5% of statistics are made up can be put into play here. that and the population and the cultural differences between the UK and the US are different.
GravyDan
Back from the Grave(y)
+768|5903|CA
A Ruger 9mm sold my 12 year old sister cocaine.  A gang of inner city AR-15s savagely beat and robbed my Grandpa.  I was raped by an M1A on my way to the corner store in 1998.  Granted, I probably could have escaped, but still.  Still think guns are so great Mitch?

Why don't you get off your high horse and accept the facts.  Gun crimes are committed with guns.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6728|Argentina

Mitch wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Mitch wrote:

1. Guns are the best tools for protection, and for crime.
2. As said in number 1, guns are good for crime. Criminals commit crimes.
3. Criminals commit crimes by breaking the law. That is why they are criminals. So, a law that bans guns will not be followed by said criminal.
4. Now, criminal has a gun, and he is going to commit a crime because he knows innocent people do not have guns.
5. Innocent person gets raped, shot, robbed, and has no tool more powerful or effeciant than the gun the criminal has.

Thus crime is easier for the criminal.

However, if the criminal knew there was a chance he could get shot back, the criminal would not be so inclined to rob you.

It's a god damn proven fact that gun laws do not stop the use of guns by criminals.

And finally, guns were protected by the 2nd amendment for one main reason.

Protection against an over powering government.

Whats happening in the world?

Gun laws are getting more restrictive.
Government is becoming more controlling every single day.
1-Law, a good Justice system and the police are the best protection against criminals.

2-Criminals commit crimes, they are used to guns, they probably know how to use them better than Joe the plumber.  So, if Joe has a gun he still gets shot.  If Joe doesn't have one, he could be safe.

3-Yes, criminals break the law, and therefore they are criminals.  If they use a gun they would be breaking another law.

4-Wrong.  Criminal will try to commit a crime regardless of what innocent people have.  Maybe, if he knows that a person doesn't have a gun, he'll treat the said person better.

5-See point 1 again.
Bro, thats completely flawed. Unless we're under a complete martial law police state theres no way a cop is gunna be able to do shit.

Your walking down the street and 2 dudes walk up behind you, throw you in the nearest alley and start beating you up and taking your shit.

Police? Yah, if someone calls 911 and you have 5-10 minutes to wait.
Basically, you are saying that you can't walk safely without a gun.  It must be awful living that way.

Last edited by sergeriver (2009-04-01 11:46:07)

Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6737|UK

seymorebutts443 wrote:

Vilham wrote:

seymorebutts443 wrote:

In a perfect justice system then yes, the police are your best defense against criminals. However no system can be perfect, why can't people realize this yet. If i am a criminal and i break into a home with a gun, or i mug someone with a gun with the knowledge that no one is carrying a firearm or owns one then what is stopping me. If i attempt to commit the same crimes with the knowledge that the people i am mugging/robbing are carrying or own a firearm then i would probably second guess it. Another thing is, controlling guns probably won't work. If you pass a law saying that guns are pretty much banned outside of law enforcement and military personnel, criminals can still get the guns, it may not be legally but they still can get them and use them. This completely defeats the purpose of the law, law abiding citizens who don't own firearms can't defend themselves against the gun toting criminals. tried to explain it the best i could.
According to the Bureau of Justice statistics and the UK home office:

Percentage of violent crimes in which a gun was used.
US - 9% (only includes non-fatal incidents)
UK - 1% (includes fatal and non-fatal incidents)

Crimes comitted using a firearm
US - ~ 400,000
UK - ~ 10,000 multiply this by the difference in populace gives 58,000 crimes if England and Wales had the same populace as the USA. Around 35% of these involved replica or paintball guns. Only 15% involved any serious injury.

Firearm homicides

US - 10,100  (2005)
England & Wales - 52  (2007)

42% of robberies in the US were comitted with a firearm.
1% of robberies in the UK were comitted with a firearm.

An armed populace forces the criminals to arm themselves. The notion that criminals will arm themselves regardless of the laws is not true.
thats great, now explain it instead of re quoting some text. the old adage of 86.5% of statistics are made up can be put into play here. that and the population and the cultural differences between the UK and the US are different.
What is there to explain? The stats clearly show your wrong. Your opinion isn't based in fact. The facts say that actually the complete opposite is true to what you claim. Legalising guns doesn't stop people using guns in crime or killing people with guns, it in fact increases the likelihood.

If you want to make a distinction between the culture in the UK and US that is up to YOU to make clear in your original point. Where in your original quote do you make it clear you are talking about a specific country?
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6431|UK
Guns are cool but they only belong in the range and war.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6512|Texas - Bigger than France
As in all gun control debates, you can't compare the cultures.

Do you feel safer here versus there?  Depends on your culture.

Are the statistics comparable?  Not unless you have the full picture - for instance, socio-economics plays a role, the type of government, immigration, drug laws, the prowess of the groups collecting the data, religious background, population density, the average diet, and the average position of the population versus where the moon is located.

In other words, soccer sucks.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6652|Disaster Free Zone

Pug wrote:

Are the statistics comparable?  Not unless you have the full picture - for instance, socio-economics plays a role, the type of government, immigration, drug laws, the prowess of the groups collecting the data, religious background, population density, the average diet, and the average position of the population versus where the moon is located.

In other words, soccer sucks.
So the fact that everyone and their dog has pretty much unlimited access to guns have nothing to do with it? But lets compare your list of things anyway between the US and UK.

Type of government: Same (or at least similar enough to not matter)
Immigration: Both have lots of legal and illegal immigration as well as very multicultural urban centres.
Drug laws: As far as I know, pretty much the same. Except legal drinking age is lower in the UK.
Prowess of the groups collecting the data: As far as I can tell its the governments official figures.
religious background: Very similar, majority Christian but with all other religions present in small percentages.
Population density: UK-246/km2 US-31/km2 Much higher in the UK.
Average diet: Reasonably similar with westernised variations of global cuisine.
The average position of the population versus where the moon is located: Down.

So a densely populated Drunk population = much fewer gun related crimes. Shit I could have sworn it was the other way around.

Last edited by DrunkFace (2009-04-01 12:14:26)

Pug

DrunkFace wrote:

So the fact that everyone and their dog has pretty much unlimited access to guns have nothing to do with it? But lets compare your list of things anyway between the US and UK.

Type of government: Same (or at least similar enough to not matter)
Immigration: Both have lots of legal and illegal immigration as well as very multicultural urban centres.
Drug laws: As far as I know, pretty much the same. Except legal drinking age is lower in the UK.
Prowess of the groups collecting the data: As far as I can tell its the governments official figures.
religious background: Very similar, majority Christian but with all other religions present in small percentages.
Population density: UK-246/km2 US-31/km2 Much higher in the UK.
Average diet: Reasonably similar with westernised variations of global cuisine.
The average position of the population versus where the moon is located: Down.

So a densely populated Drunk population = much fewer gun related crimes. Shit I could have sworn it was the other way around.
There's also stats on towns in the US that have 98% gun ownership and no history of a gun crime.  And there's towns that have 2% gun ownership and has gun crime.  Stats lie.

Of the 1000s of gun crimes being committed this year, is having more liberal gun ownership laws the ONLY issue why it occurred?

In general there's millions of reasons why the crime rate varies.  Are you going to limit it only to one?

On a hunch, I'm wondering about the following: of the percentage of gun owners in the UK, how many killed someone?  of the percentage of gun owners in the US, how many killed someone?

Now, if the argument is no gun ownership laws = more death, do you think the % of killers who own guns would be higher in the UK or in the US?

I have no idea why people debate the differences between gun laws here versus there.  It's like debating between which Olsen twin you are more likely to bang Spoiler (highlight to read):
Ashley, but very unlikely
13rin
+977|6450
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6685|US
"More guns = more violence"
...runs into this problem: http://guncite.com/gun_control_gcgvsupp.html

Gary Kleck wrote:

About half of the time gun stock increases have been accompanied by violence decreases, and about half the time accompanied by violence increases, just what one would expect if gun levels had no net impact on violence rates. The rate of gun suicide is correlated with trends in the size of the gun or handgun stock, but the rate of total suicide is not, supporting a substitution argument--when guns are scarce, suicide attempters substitute other methods, with no effect on the total number who die. Trends in the size of the cumulated gun or handgun stock have no consistent correlation with crime rates.
Now, for the US vs. UK bit,
The BCS (England and Wales) reported a 2110 per 100k rate of violent crime in 2003-2004 (september to September)
The CDC WISQARS system (US) reported a 592.19 per 100k violent crime rate in 2004 (Calendar year)
It would seem the raw numbers indicate England and Wales have over 3 times the violent crime rate of the US.
Now, I don't know if there are serious differences in data collection or definition of "violent crimes," so that may account for some differences.
PureFodder
+225|6256

RAIMIUS wrote:

"More guns = more violence"
...runs into this problem: http://guncite.com/gun_control_gcgvsupp.html

Gary Kleck wrote:

About half of the time gun stock increases have been accompanied by violence decreases, and about half the time accompanied by violence increases, just what one would expect if gun levels had no net impact on violence rates. The rate of gun suicide is correlated with trends in the size of the gun or handgun stock, but the rate of total suicide is not, supporting a substitution argument--when guns are scarce, suicide attempters substitute other methods, with no effect on the total number who die. Trends in the size of the cumulated gun or handgun stock have no consistent correlation with crime rates.
The US pretty well hit the firearms saturation point. As firearms are so widely available changes in gun stocks make little difference to their availability. If a gun owner had 4 guns instead of 2 guns it makes no difference to how much access to a gun they have so the number of guns and homicides/suicides etc are expected to have no correlation.

seymorebutts443 wrote:

They are the official government stats form the US and UK.

If you want it explained, fair enough. If the populace is armed, then it WILL discourage some criminals from comiting crimes. This is probably a major reason for the lower burglary rates in the US vs. the UK. On the other hand, a lot of the criminals, instead of deciding not to commit the crime, will choose to do it anyway. Knowing that the populace tends to be armed, the criminals will get a gun to defend themself from the armed populace. This is easier in the US as the large number of firearms owners leads to large numbers of stolen firearms being on the black market (if very few people have a gun, there are very few guns to steal in the UK.) This leads to the much higher percentage of crimes being comitted with a firearm in the US vs. the UK.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6645|Canberra, AUS

Pug wrote:

This.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
mcjagdflieger
Champion of Dueling Rectums
+26|6281|South Jersey
Its hilarious watching these debates....euros:we have no guns and less gun crimes. no shit asshats, your country is as big as my state, and your populace has been unarmed for many years, and most of you are of the same race, religion, etc. You just cannot compare your stats with ours, its like comparing electricity usage in africa vs. usa. we get it, you dont like guns. we do. The stats for citizens with concealed weapons permits says it all. If a person goes through the trouble of legally obtaining a firearm, and legally getting a permit to carry it, that person does not commit crimes. when i was at the range last month (in Florida) honest to allah i heard this come from a black man that was there..."shit man, now i know not to rob nobody in da souf."
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6464|N. Ireland
No, see. Here's the thing. You guys have one of the highest gun crime rates in the world. Reducing the number of guns is a good thing.
Pug

kylef wrote:

No, see. Here's the thing. You guys have one of the highest gun crime rates in the world. Reducing the number of guns is a good thing.
sure, it's "good" but will it reduce crime? or will it merely reduce gun crimes?
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6471|so randum

Pug wrote:

kylef wrote:

sure, it's "good" but will it reduce crime? or will it merely reduce gun crimes?
Whats worse, getting shot, or getting your car jacked?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Man With No Name
جندي
+148|5545|The Wild West
getting shot while youre getting car jacked
Man With No Name
جندي
+148|5545|The Wild West

mcjagdflieger wrote:

Its hilarious watching these debates....euros:we have no guns and less gun crimes. no shit asshats, your country is as big as my state, and your populace has been unarmed for many years, and most of you are of the same race, religion, etc. You just cannot compare your stats with ours, its like comparing electricity usage in africa vs. usa. we get it, you dont like guns. we do. The stats for citizens with concealed weapons permits says it all. If a person goes through the trouble of legally obtaining a firearm, and legally getting a permit to carry it, that person does not commit crimes. when i was at the range last month (in Florida) honest to allah i heard this come from a black man that was there..."shit man, now i know not to rob nobody in da souf."
silly negroes
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6439

Pug wrote:

kylef wrote:

Guns do tend to make crime easier.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard