Poll

Is changing the name to "One World Trade Center" unpatriotic?

Yes22%22% - 12
No77%77% - 42
Total: 54
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6557|San Diego, CA, USA

AussieReaper wrote:

I think "Freedom" Tower is a bit of a wank.
I still liked Donald Trump's idea to rebuild the Twin Towers with +1 floor.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6546|Long Island, New York

Superior Mind wrote:

Kinda off topic: I can't really imagine the twin towers on the sky line anymore. I've forgotten what it was like.
I can. And I still can't believe they don't exist anymore.

Harmor wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

I think "Freedom" Tower is a bit of a wank.
I still liked Donald Trump's idea to rebuild the Twin Towers with +1 floor.
Yep. I always thought that was the best idea. I mean, what an awesome way to say "fuck you" to Al Qaeda. We build 'em bigger, better and structurally stronger. Shame they didn't do it.

Last edited by Poseidon (2009-03-28 22:08:00)

trippy982
+34|6406
Who cares what the name will be now, in a matter of years, some company will come in and changed the name to something gay like Skippy Peanut Butter Tower or Heineken Building.  I mean look what happened to the Sears Tower, oops I mean Willis Tower..
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6780|PNW

This is just a stupid annoyance of no actual import to problems faced today. Both names suck, but who cares? Names change, and I don't think anyone who works there would say 'bye, honey, I'm off to wheel and deal in the One World Trade Center!' The name's clumsy and it doesn't easily roll off the tongue, and Freedom Tower makes the whole issue feel like an episode of G.I. Joe.

They've been dicking around with this shit for too long, and they should just build and have done with it.
BVC
+325|6704
Its a commercial outfit is it not?  The name sounds more like a marketting ploy than anything.
RavyGravy
Son.
+617|6414|NSW, Australia

they should make it solid gold
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6115|eXtreme to the maX
Calling it 'Bin Laden pwnd here crater' would be unpatriotic, but would show the world the US has a sense of humour we had not previously detected.
Calling a high rise cube farm for corporate wage donkeys 'Freedom Tower' is lame frankly.
Calling it what it was already called makes sense.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Marinejuana
local
+415|6594|Seattle
At least there's some honesty in the current title.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6414|North Carolina

Marinejuana wrote:

At least there's some honesty in the current title.
Subtle, but I like it.

In all seriousness, I can't believe they're building yet another giant target.  You would think after 9/11 that they'd make it something like a subterranean complex or something.  Just something harder to hit with a fucking plane.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6630|London, England

Superior Mind wrote:

I think both names suck.

Kinda off topic: I can't really imagine the twin towers on the sky line anymore. I've forgotten what it was like.
Say what you want, those things were an eyesore, stuck out like a sore thumb etc etc..

Aesthetically, the WTC twin towers were horrible. Imo

Turquoise wrote:

In all seriousness, I can't believe they're building yet another giant target.  You would think after 9/11 that they'd make it something like a subterranean complex or something.  Just something harder to hit with a fucking plane.
I can't tell if some of you are serious or something, you really think there's a chance of such a similar attack happening? And that the one way to thwart said attack would be to build something that wasn't so "easy to fly a plane into" - because they'd only ever fly a plane into a tall building in that location of the USA, should they repeat a 9/11 attack, so that specific location must instead be an underground bunker

Yeah, makes sense

Can you imagine how laughable/weak that would look to build an underground building where the terrorists struck, or to do something like that

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2009-03-29 12:44:31)

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5594

Mekstizzle wrote:

Superior Mind wrote:

I think both names suck.

Say what you want, those things were an eyesore, stuck out like a sore thumb etc etc..

Aesthetically, the WTC twin towers were horrible. Imo
They were awe inspiring though.
Turquoise
O Canada

Mekstizzle wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

I can't tell if some of you are serious or something, you really think there's a chance of such a similar attack happening? And that the one way to thwart said attack would be to build something that wasn't so "easy to fly a plane into" - because they'd only ever fly a plane into a tall building in that location of the USA, should they repeat a 9/11 attack, so that specific location must instead be an underground bunker

Yeah, makes sense

Can you imagine how laughable/weak that would look to build an underground building where the terrorists struck, or to do something like that
It's not so much a matter of expecting a second attack as it is a recognition that putting so much capital in a vulnerable location is a bad idea.

While I understand the logistics of why the World Trade Center was in NYC, I believe that maybe the time has come to consider a more decentralized way of doing things.  We have technology now that doesn't require physically meeting people to make deals.  Via teleconferencing, the physical location of business is trivial, with only tax matters being of relevance when it comes to moving capital around.

I believe that maybe it would be better to spread the infrastructure around some, so that no chance is afforded to terrorists to seriously injure the global economy and that no actual physical symbol is available for them to attack and gain morale from.

Trade is ubiquitous and its institutions should reflect this.

Last edited by Turquoise (2009-03-29 12:51:29)

mikkel
+383|6610
Politicians called the tower proof of the country's triumph over terrorism.
It'd have to be a pretty fucking huge building to distract from the fact that they're still jumping at shadows, being perpetually scared shitless, eroding civil liberties and changing the way of life in the US, and that they've in no way triumped over terrorism, but have been thoroughly defeated by it.
Turquoise
O Canada

mikkel wrote:

Politicians called the tower proof of the country's triumph over terrorism.
It'd have to be a pretty fucking huge building to distract from the fact that they're still jumping at shadows, being perpetually scared shitless, eroding civil liberties and changing the way of life in the US, and that they've in no way triumped over terrorism, but have been thoroughly defeated by it.
Defeated, no.  Tricked and humiliated, yes.

We're slowly realizing the folly of trusting government encroachments against civil liberties as being methods of ensuring safety.
jsnipy
+3,276|6531|...

I think too much emphasis is place on it. Sure its horrible a thing, like many of the other incidents that have occurred since then in many parts of the world, to many different cultures, and where greater numbers of people have died.
Turquoise
O Canada

jsnipy wrote:

I think too much emphasis is place on it. Sure its horrible a thing, like many of the other incidents that have occurred since then in many parts of the world, to many different cultures, and where greater numbers of people have died.
Agreed.  The recent tsunami was far more destructive to the world.  Oftentimes, what Mother Nature does kills more people than anything people do to each other.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5710|College Park, MD
Not gonna read the whole thread:

No it's not unpatriotic. People who quantify patriotism on things like the name of a tower, the usage of lapel pins and taking off your hat during the national anthem are idiots.

@Turqoise I think the reason that people are still more... attached to 9/11 than the tsunami because the tsunami was, as you said, a force of nature. Fucking terrible, but nobody could really control that. Whereas 9/11 was orchestrated by human beings, people who could have easily at any time decided that they shouldn't hijack planes and attack a country.

Last edited by Hurricane2k9 (2009-03-29 16:19:06)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6674|NT, like Mick Dundee

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

People who quantify patriotism on things like the name of a tower, the usage of lapel pins and taking off your hat during the national anthem are idiots.

The president is an idiot!?!?!?!?!??!?!????!!!!!!!?!?!?!?
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6162|what

Don't listen to him Flecco.

Hurricane is the real unpatriotic one, here.

He didn't even attend Obamas Inauguration, that was in the same city Hurricane lives in!
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5710|College Park, MD

AussieReaper wrote:

Don't listen to him Flecco.

Hurricane is the real unpatriotic one, here.

He didn't even attend Obamas Inauguration, that was in the same city Hurricane lives in!
like hell I didn't

I didn't want to stand in the freezing cold with a bunch of tourists and then trek for hours to the metro. It's historic, but not worth that. Maybe when a dog or a fennec fox is elected president I'll stand out in the harsh DC cold for 12 hours.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6701

Poseidon wrote:

Superior Mind wrote:

Surely you don't see the Manhattan skyline as often as I do.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6674|NT, like Mick Dundee

Superior Mind wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Superior Mind wrote:

Omgshitfight.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6701

Flecco wrote:

Superior Mind wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Omgshitfight.
Far from. Moar like OmgJewfight. No, but really, I write with the gentlest of suggestion.

Last edited by Superior Mind (2009-03-29 17:26:47)

Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6477

Superior Mind wrote:

Flecco wrote:

Superior Mind wrote:

Omgshitfight.
Far from. Moar like OmgJewfight. No, but really, I write with the gentlest of suggestion.
Well seeing as Jews did WTC, I don't see the point of this.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6162|what

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

I didn't want to stand in the freezing cold with a bunch of tourists and then trek for hours to the metro. It's historic, but not worth that. Maybe when a dog or a fennec fox is elected president I'll stand out in the harsh DC cold for 12 hours.
But that is what patriotism is all about, you fool!
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard