[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6748

Only use a joystick with a helo if you have a good one, have it calibrated, and you are willing to invest some time getting a feel for flying with it. It will take 3-7 days to get comfortable with a joystick, whereas a mouse and keyboard gets you up much faster which is why everyone defaults to it. Plus joysticks cost money, especially good ones.

Once you get used to a joystick it is a much more stable platform for doing complex maneuvers in quick sucession. You can really get into and out of sticky (omg teh punz) situations with a joystick, especially where a mouse will not keep pace. I have yet to see anyone practiced enough with a joystick though - this game has some kind of stigmata about joysticks users. I have seen many mouse users - all of whom consider themselves awesome with it kind of like cs players lol, so don't always take their words at face value. I have only seen one or two do anything out of the ordinary (e.g. other then circling and spawn raping which everyone can do) and nothing that cannot be done with a good joystick. Most helicopters attribute their skill to
how many kills they can rack up, and whether or not their tv gunner can aim well.

The reality is, good pilots stay alive longer, and know when to fight and when to run. They know when to rearm, repair, where all the important assets such as AA, Jeeps, Rocket toting hos, and when the enemy helicopter should be back up, and where about it will be without communication. Good pilots know where their gunner is looking and what he is thinking, so that when your gunner is half baked, you can utilize aircraft movement to say, hey get this guy right here. There is a continuity between a good gunner and pilot, especially when you have voice comm (it helps a lot), but if you don't have it, you can utilize common movements to say look at this, or there is a guy here - e.g. I'm not here for no reason and I didnt fire a single rocket right there to see the pretty fireworks.

Most importantly, good pilots have a bag of excellent maneuvers for ugly situations, and good pilots know how to evade constant jet raping, and enemy helicopter fire. It takes a lot of knowledge to be a good pilot, but just a little flying skill in BF2, so you can see why a mouse and keyboard will still work well, but you will have to spend a lot more practice developing any kind of tricks to get away safely and take less fire when you are using a mouse and keyboard. You need a big deskspace, and a good arm, and a lot of time, because when a helicopter gets in a near unrecoverable maneuver, e.g. a dive, or a roll over, it is much much harder to recover from with the mouse then it is with a joystick.

For the majority of you, you may as well just use mouse and keyboard, it gets the job done the fast and easy way which is what everyone wants. If you are more interested in flying and the feel you get for flying with a stick, you really get a sense of what your vehicle is wanting to do when you're on the stick and how to counter its antisocial behavior Regardless, have fun, the AA will take you out anyway rofl. Flying isn't what it used to be - all the heli's now spawn rape where they know they are safe from AA and its kinda ruined half the fun of flying a heli when everyone is too scared to venture forth.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6758|Scotland

very well said zenmaster
SunTzu
Playdough! Nope C4...
+6|6725|Toronto, ON, CAN

[CANADA]_Zenmaster wrote:

...There is a continuity between a good gunner and pilot, especially when you have voice comm (it helps a lot), but if you don't have it, you can utilize common movements to say look at this, or there is a guy here - e.g. I'm not here for no reason and I didnt fire a single rocket right there to see the pretty fireworks.
Completely agree... I have developed some communication techniques when I play with a gunner for a while (lately I have been playing gunner, so I looks for the style / queues given by the pilot), and if I am looking hard to port, and saying spotted, it is because of a threat to the port (which my comm rose can't center on). This is usually when I can't VOIP with the pilot, but it works well.

[CANADA]_Zenmaster wrote:

...and a lot of time, because when a helicopter gets in a near unrecoverable maneuver, e.g. a dive, or a roll over, it is much much harder to recover from with the mouse then it is with a joystick.
This is why I decided to start playing with the gamepad. I don't have all the feel of the joystick, but I do have the ability to recover a heavy dive, or fly upside down for a while (it works for lighting your flares, and have them protect you longer). I couldn't pull these tricks off when using the mouse.

I just wish there was an easy way the commo rose could be used by the gamepad controls (an oversite in the control setup imo)
specops10-4
+108|6745|In the hills

Torin wrote:

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

Joysticks r pretty limiting, get much faster manouvres from KB and mouse, that said turning a plane round with a mouse is more like a workout for your right arm than playing a game lol
How do you figure? Even with sens turned up, how can a mouse be any faster for banking than the half second it takes me to yank the joystick to the right and hold it there? At very best, a mouse can be equally as fast as a joystick, if not a little awkward, but how do you reason that it can be faster?
I am pretty much a worthless peice of crap to anyone on the opposing team when I play wake (normally they are USMC), I just baserape em to death and the J-10 is too easy to dodge their missles do a loop fire my 6 missles at em and boom.  The mouse makes it 10x easier to line up the bombs, I bought a joystick and used it for about 10 days and all I accomplished was doing like 5 turns, some wierd loops an attempted bomb run and then crashed, soon after I returned it, I dont remember the name but I bought it cause I heard some people talking about how good it was.  Also my sensitivity is like 1.60 for the jet and I can easly take down this guy Black_opsblack or something who has an insane amount of kills with the jet and he can take down about everyone but me.
BlueScreen
I am the pwnage! Bitches!
+5|6741|Finland
Keyboard and mouse in Chopper and planes aren't for me
scorps
+2|6624
When i fly a jet use joystick and when i fly chopper i use keyboard and mouse

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard