Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6559|San Diego, CA, USA

Fox News wrote:

WASHINGTON -- California's Mojave Desert may seem ideally suited for solar energy production, but concern over what several proposed projects might do to the aesthetics of the region and its tortoise population is setting up a potential clash between conservationists and companies seeking to develop renewable energy.

Nineteen companies have submitted applications to build solar or wind facilities on a parcel of 500,000 desert acres, but Sen. Dianne Feinstein said Friday such development would violate the spirit of what conservationists had intended when they donated much of the land to the public.

Feinstein said Friday she intends to push legislation that would turn the land into a national monument, which would allow for existing uses to continue while preventing future development.
Source: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/03 … ar-panels/

Comment:  /boggle WAT? 

Wait so we can't put up solar panels to get rid of the coal/oil plants that are supplying 80% of our electricity?
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6449|King Of The Islands

It boggles the mind when people use the whole "ugly" argument for green energy.

FYI: I live near Morwell, home to several brown coal power stations, including Hazelwood. There's been several attempts to get green energy around here, we now have 2 wind farms. Both were rallied because of the aesthetics (weak arse arguments at that) and also apparently we have some absolutely dumbshit birds who could fly right into them (but they're fine with trees?).

They were also trying to bring power in from Tasmania (shitton of Hydro which could power a significant portion of the mainland). Blocked cause pylons were ugly. Engineers drafted a plan to move it all underground for a shload more coin just to appease the cocks, still blocked.

Out in the desert there's been several proposals to have solar of some variety. Traditional panels, that panels-focus-on-some-sand-and-make-some-crazy-ass-super-heated-shit-which-turns-into-energy-somehow, and there's also a "Tower solar power station" which uses thermal to spin a prop in the tower. Each have been pushed back for some various hippy reason.

Fucking hippies, enjoy your fucking coal.

wait wat
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6510|so randum
NIMBY tools wheeee

Oh we lurrrve green energy, just not anywhere near us kthx.

Pathetic.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо
+826|6530|Adelaide, South Australia

FatherTed wrote:

NIMBY tools wheeee

Oh we lurrrve green energy, just not anywhere near us kthx.

Pathetic.
My reaction exactly.
imortal
+240|6675|Austin, TX
...and isn't this coming from a state with rolling brownouts every summer?  Nice to know they can afford to be picky.  I guess they just prefer coal or nuclear power.  Who would have thought such a hippie state would fight green energy?
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6415|North Carolina
More nuclear plants would be a good thing, but yeah, the solar panels should be allowed too.
Narupug
Fodder Mostly
+150|5607|Vacationland
I'm all for the whole conservation thing but sometimes you have to think logically, if this planet becomes unlivable because it is too hot the animals will die anyway, so just build the solar panels and save a couple tortoises and reintroduce later.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6726
enjoy not having electricity eventually... Cali folks... but be proud that you didnt harm any turtles or have any unsightly solar panels...
while you sit in the dark...
Going Green means doing nothing from what i have gathered... nice...  no coal..no nuke...no solar... no shale oil...  sounds like a winner to me...
guess i will build my shelter out of branches and leaves and beat the rush...

I have driven through Utah and Arizona... there is an S load of remote desert there and setting up some solar panels to help lessen our dependence on foreign oil... sounds good to me...

Last edited by [TUF]Catbox (2009-03-21 22:32:00)

Love is the answer
rdx-fx
+955|6602
California hypocrites.

Living in dense urban environments, where every inch of ground is covered in concrete or asphalt - and crying about how 'green' they are, over their Fourbucks latte...

Assclowns.

You want real green, go to Montana or Alaska.  Go out into the wilderness with a professional guide, or bush pilot.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6685|Canberra, AUS
Maybe he would prefer a few coal power plants there instead.

Fucking idiot.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
BVC
+325|6706
Some hippies just want to drag us back to the stone age.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6691|Disaster Free Zone

Cheez wrote:

It boggles the mind when people use the whole "ugly" argument for green energy.
It boggles the mind when people suggest 'Solar' as a suitable replacement for coal.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6449|King Of The Islands

No-one ever did. But you have to admit a solar panel farm out in the desert is better than 4 giant coal power stations and 3 open cut mines around a populated area, yes?
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6233|Brisneyland
This woman is an idiot. And she says she advocates alternative energy. Hope they use the desert anyway.
PureFodder
+225|6296
Chances are that the people complaining are never going to actually see this bit of desert, so just build the solar pannels and don't tell them.
Zefar
+116|6660|Sweden
Wildlife in the desert? What are they? Nuts?

What's so worth protecting there when there are only sand and rocks. Plus some other thing.

Ok the desert might have a bit of creatures but wiping them out won't cause a problem beside we NEED this solar power. I also like how they say the desert was meant for the public but I doubt a lot of people from the public wants to have anything to do with the desert.

I say, plant those solar powerplants there and make use of whatever sunlight you can get.

But I wonder one thing, someone said it was a win-win situation in this case if we accepted the other guys offer but what exactly was the offer?
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6631|London, England
Governments need to take a more hardline stance on this shit. Too many projects are being abandoned because of a few, there will come a time when the only choice will be green sustainable but "ugly" solutions, or fossil fuel solutions (that are somehow not as ugly and nobody complains about), or no electricity whatsoever. Personally I can't wait until there comes a crisis which forces governments and dickheads to finally accept alternative energy sources and so the world can finally put some thought into it and get things rolling.

The planet needs a massive energy crisis to get things rolling
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6539|Global Command
This is all by design.

I spend more time in the Mojave than some forest rangers, and I have seen one desert  tortoise.

There are vast tracts of remote desert not visible from any road where these things can be placed. There is no excuse. More of the desert life is killed by marine tanks training to kill Haji than anything else.

The desert would bloom around the solar panels and wildlife would flourish. Why?

Look at how a solar still works. The underside of these panels would trap moisture, feeding the desert plants, attracting animals.

It's so fucking obvious.

I have a profound love for the desert, but we need energy independence yesterday.

I took this in the Mojave last spring.

nickb64
formerly from OC (it's EXACTLY like on tv)[truth]
+77|5621|Greatest Nation on Earth(USA)

rdx-fx wrote:

California hypocrites.

Living in dense urban environments, where every inch of ground is covered in concrete or asphalt - and crying about how 'green' they are, over their Fourbucks latte...

Assclowns.

You want real green, go to Montana or Alaska.  Go out into the wilderness with a professional guide, or bush pilot.
I think that some of my fellow Californians are just stupid, let the damn solar panels in if it will help with the power outages, the tortoises could move to another part of the desert, it's a helluva big place.
SgtHeihn
Should have ducked
+394|6497|Ham Lake, MN (Fucking Cold)
She would only support it if her husband was putting in a bid to do it.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5596

I'm sure the Chinese will maintain the deserts after we've collapsed.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard