Erkut.hv
+124|6880|California
Hey all,

I was just curious what people think of the immigration laws in their native countries. Here where I live, it is out of control. You can't legislate anything to enforce laws, and you can't enforce existing laws without some group calling you a racist.

Read this article, and tell me the inmates aren't running the asylum inthe US:

ATLANTA -- Members of the Latino community plan to protest against new state legislation aimed at illegal immigrants in Georgia.

Protesters say they will neither spend money nor report to work Friday. An estimated 800,000 Hispanics are expected to take part in Georgia's "Day For Latino Dignity."

Organizers passed out flyers at businesses across the metro area Thursday, pushing other Hispanic workers to take part in the protest. At least 13 supermarkets, dozens of restaurants, and even banks will likely be affected by the work stoppage. Latino community leaders, some from out of state, decided on the idea at a Thursday night meeting.

The day is set aside to protest Senate Bill 529, sponsored by state Senator Chip Rogers (R-Woodstock). Senate Bill 529 would, in part, force state and local government contractors to verify the legal status of their employees.

Some employers have contacted Channel 2 Action News to say if their employees do not show up Friday, they may be out of a job.
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6986|Cologne, Germany

are you saying, as it is now, employers don't have to check on the legal status of foreign-born employees ? that's weird...

here in germany, we have had some very relaxed immigration laws in the past, basically letting everyone in.
This was in part due to our specific history with regards to ethnic minorities...

But that is changing right now. we are even consiering setting up a special test for possible immigrants to take before being allowed a german passport. I hear you have something like it already in the US ?
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6881|Salt Lake City

I agree.  Where I live we have a very quickly growing Latino community.  In fact, where I live, I'm a minority and English is the second language.  In fact, I've stopped going to most of the restaurants in my area because they continually get my order wrong because I can't order in Spanish.

I don't have a problem with immigration or immigrants, as long as they've done it legally.  If they are here on a visa or have obtained their green card, I say welcome to America.  Otherwise, I say they have no rights to dictate any legislation.

I think the government needs to start handling illegal workers the same way they started cracking down on prostitution.  Busting the hookers didn't work that well, so they started going after the "Johns".  By the same token I think they need to levy some heavy fines for employers that fail to properly confirm the legal status of the workers they hire.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6881|Salt Lake City

B.Schuss wrote:

are you saying, as it is now, employers don't have to check on the legal status of foreign-born employees ? that's weird...

here in germany, we have had some very relaxed immigration laws in the past, basically letting everyone in.
This was in part due to our specific history with regards to ethnic minorities...

But that is changing right now. we are even consiering setting up a special test for possible immigrants to take before being allowed a german passport. I hear you have something like it already in the US ?
The problem is two fold.  Identify theft is at an all time high, much of it used to provide false identities to illegals. As is often the case, all they have to do is show their Social Security card and drivers license, and there is no check on whether it is valid or not.

The other problem is that some employers simply don't put these workers on the payroll at all.  They are strictly off the books, paid under the table.
Erkut.hv
+124|6880|California
We have politicians here who pander for the immigrant vote, by offering more and more programs to help them live off the fat of the land. It's like a plague over here. Back in the days, people used to immigrate to make a better life, avoid persecution, etc.... Now they come over here for free schooling, housing, medical care, and government handouts.

America is starting to look like a third world country.

And Schuss, we have NO TEST, because we can't control our borders, and nobody enforces our laws.

We have a program called The Minuteman Project, basically citizens who are pissed off patrol the borders on their own dime. Sad, because the more we have to do shot on our own, when we pay TAXES for the governemtn to do the work, the closer we get to revolt.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6881|Salt Lake City

And before anyone says that these illegals take jobs that Americans won't, that's a load of crap.  If the laws of supply and demand were allowed to work, the wages for these jobs would align themselves such that an American worker would take them.  The problem is that there is such a flood of illegal immigrants that know they have to take what they get, because they are here illegaly, they are often paid less than minimum wage, and the employers doesn't have to pay FICA, or provide any other type of benefits to these works.  It saves them a bundle of money.

I think this is part of the reason that some government officials are hesitant to crack down hard, as they know it would affect the bottom line of many companies that have money and power, which could possibly spell an end to their political career.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6789
uhhh yeah we do require a test in order to become an american citizen.  Im the son of immigrants.
Erkut.hv
+124|6880|California
Exactly. Two things politicians can't live without: Corporate Lobbyists, and Idiot voters.

This isn't a Republican or Democrat issue either. This is a lack of law enforcement from the very people who swear to uphold the Constitution, and the laws of the land. I don't recall seeing an asterisk that denotes laws don't apply when money or votes are involved.

I need to start nother thread now, becaie the more I think about politicians, the more I get pissed off.
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6916|Atlanta, GA USA
Yeah, I live in Georgia and am very happy about this bill.  Our local paper had a good rundown of what the bill would do, but I can't find anything online.  Basically, the laws in the US are too lax.  It is way to easy for illegal immigrants to stay in this country.  So a number of states are cracking down on illegal immigrants themselves.  The Georgia law (this is most of what it does):
1. Ensure that all employees who work for companies that have government contracts are lawfully in the country
2. Prohibit adult illegal immigrants from getting many public benefits
3. Financially penalize private employers who hire workers in the county unlawfully
4. Establish harsh penalties for human trafficking
5. Add a fee to wire money out of the country for anyone who cannot prove US residency (something like this)
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with these provisions.  THe only people who don't like them are the people who hire illegals (they can pay them less and get away with it) and the illegals themselves.  And of course Hispanic groups.  I find it amusing that Hispanic groups get all up in arms any time the gov't tries to crack down on illegal immigration.  Since I would assume that the majority of the people in these groups entered the country legally, I would think that they would be pissed that people are bypassing the system, when they did it the right way...  But that's just me...
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6916|Atlanta, GA USA

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

I don't have a problem with immigration or immigrants, as long as they've done it legally.  If they are here on a visa or have obtained their green card, I say welcome to America.  Otherwise, I say they have no rights to dictate any legislation.
I agree 100%
I think the government needs to start handling illegal workers the same way they started cracking down on prostitution.  Busting the hookers didn't work that well, so they started going after the "Johns".  By the same token I think they need to levy some heavy fines for employers that fail to properly confirm the legal status of the workers they hire.
I agree.  THat is one thing the Georgia law does.  It penalizes employers who can't prove the citizenship of their employees.  Basically, I think they deny them state money.
Another thing that irritates me is the people who move here and seemingly make no effort to learn English.  If you speak bad English, I will try to communicate with you because you are making an effort.  It is not that hard to learn enough to get by...
Erkut.hv
+124|6880|California
Interesting. I am thinking of leaving California in the next few years, because I don't speak Spanish. Georgia sounds kinda cool.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6789

Erkut.hv wrote:

Interesting. I am thinking of leaving California in the next few years, because I don't speak Spanish. Georgia sounds kinda cool.
lol.......nvm, just lol
^*AlphA*^
F*ckers
+3,135|6883|The Hague, Netherlands

Here in Holland, they check were the immigrants came from and if they really need to be here, if not and the home country is safe enough they will be send back. if not they can stay and need to make some test and speak dutch properly, past the test and they will get a pasport.

(maybe something is wrong, dont know it exactly how everthing works)
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36eac2cb6af70a43508fd8d1c93d3201f4e23435.png
Erkut.hv
+124|6880|California

-=>cSc<=-*RunDje*cT| wrote:

Here in Holland, they check were the immigrants came from and if they really need to be here, if not and the home country is safe enough they will be send back. if not they can stay and need to make some test and speak dutch properly, past the test and they will get a pasport.

(maybe something is wrong, dont know it exactly how everthing works)
If we had a politician that tried something like this, they would be called a racist, and removed from office. Holland is starting to look better than Georgia...

And Gunslinger, if you had a nice one liner for me, let loose brutha!
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6789
Im gonna give you the respect you deserve by not making my assumptions about your character public....im just gonna sit this one out man.
wannabe_tank_whore
+5|6922

Erkut.hv wrote:

Come on over.  I live in the ATL too.
Erkut.hv
+124|6880|California

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Im gonna give you the respect you deserve by not making my assumptions about your character public....im just gonna sit this one out man.
99% of what I say is for effect. I can guarantee whatever you are thinking is 100% incorrect. That's why I am curious what you have to say.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6919|Noizyland

I dunno about this. The last thread on immigration turned into a one-on-one shit fight with me and xanthpi - but he's banned now isn't he, HA HA HAA!

My country's immigration laws are fine, in fact we need MORE people. We only have about 4,000,000 people, which isn't enough to make a decent economy. Unfortunatly there are politicians like Winston Peters, (Tthis guy makes politics worth keeping up with,) who want to stem the flow of people, (strangely enough, he gets the majority of the immigrant vote.)
It's a tricky subject here, because after all most people who consider themselves 'native' New Zealanders are acutally immigrants themselves who overtook the real native Maori population by mass immigration.
I for one am for keeping those whos ethnicity is "New Zealander", (Either New Zealand European or New Zealand Maori,) in the majority.

Asians are a big thing. There are so many asians. It can get quite frustrating because they tend to stick in groups of only asian people and only speak asian languages, but the few that want to mingle with everyone else are great, and I'm mates with many of them.
Still, I would mind it if asians became the absoloute majority - the "Asian invasion" scenario. I wouldn't mind a majority of immigrants if they came from all different nationalities, but all coming from one part of the world can be... worrying.

So yeah, anyone is welcome here, but remember, say 'Hello' to your new countrymen. We're pretty good people and don't mind immigrants, but what we do mind is if you come to our country and give us the cold shoulder. Meet us down at the pub, learn as much of our language as you can and practice the old New Zealand tradition of greasy Fish & Chips on Fridays with lashings of tomato sauce and a trusty six-pack by your side. You'll fit in in no time. Alcohol is good like that.

Edit: Closer inspection reveals that xanthpi is in fact no longer banned. Shit.

Last edited by Tyferra (2006-03-24 17:07:23)

[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6796|USA
yes i love it..........they are going to protest their American right to live here illegally........ sighhhhhhhhhhhh...........give me strength
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6861
In Taiwan immagration is not really a problem... except for the chinese hookers that come on boats trying to leave China... If you're from Europe, USA and other developt countries, getting a visa is real easy since of Taiwan's status and economy...
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Not Entirely Sane
+6|6805|Just Outside Seattle
Myself and my family Immigrated here to the States, and let me tell you it was hard despite the fact that were white, middle class citizens of the U.K. (people that even my most xenophobic neighbors welcome with open arms), the way I see it you to get into the U.S. you either have to be so desperately poor that you will take the worst paying jobs and be willing to die crossing the border illegally, or you have to be making a ton of money already. Everyone else gets stuck in a long frustrating, process, to get in you really have to want it.

I have mixed feelings about people who come here illegally; on the one hand to think how awful their lives must have been that they would come here in often dangerous circumstances really makes me feel sorry for them. On the other they are a big problem, they can’t get health insurance so everyone else’s costs go up, they can’t get auto insurance but that doesn’t mean they won’t drive it just means that if they get in a crash everyone else has to pay. Also they have no real incentive to learn English since at any moment if they are caught they can be deported. I think more legal immigrants should be allowed in so that the smugglers will lose trade and because no matter how high a fence the U.S. builds people are going to keep coming as long, we may as well take some of the criminals out of the process.

As for the Hispanic groups protesting, I think that is just stupid, in my state and I suspect in yours illegal immigrants aren’t eligible for welfare, and thus they are stuck in a living hell well below the poverty line. The Hispanic groups should be campaigning to get the illegal immigrants already here legal status so they have some hope of improving their lives, not worrying about whether the government won’t employ them. All the illegal immigrants still coming into the country must mean that there are still jobs available so the newly displaced workers who can’t work for the government anymore should still be able to find work.

P.S. I’m sorry for ranting and my use of such atrocious grammar, its late, I’m tired, and it has been a surprisingly long day.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6819|Canberra, AUS
I don't think I need to say anything about my country's illegal immigration policy *cough*tampa!*cough*children overboad!

Other than that, we're quite multicultural and (mostly) proud of it.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
SharkyMcshark
I'll take two
+132|6930|Perth, Western Australia

Tyferra wrote:

I dunno about this. The last thread on immigration turned into a one-on-one shit fight with me and xanthpi - but he's banned now isn't he, HA HA HAA!

My country's immigration laws are fine, in fact we need MORE people. We only have about 4,000,000 people, which isn't enough to make a decent economy. Unfortunatly there are politicians like Winston Peters, (Tthis guy makes politics worth keeping up with,) who want to stem the flow of people, (strangely enough, he gets the majority of the immigrant vote.)
It's a tricky subject here, because after all most people who consider themselves 'native' New Zealanders are acutally immigrants themselves who overtook the real native Maori population by mass immigration.
I for one am for keeping those whos ethnicity is "New Zealander", (Either New Zealand European or New Zealand Maori,) in the majority.

Asians are a big thing. There are so many asians. It can get quite frustrating because they tend to stick in groups of only asian people and only speak asian languages, but the few that want to mingle with everyone else are great, and I'm mates with many of them.
Still, I would mind it if asians became the absoloute majority - the "Asian invasion" scenario. I wouldn't mind a majority of immigrants if they came from all different nationalities, but all coming from one part of the world can be... worrying.

So yeah, anyone is welcome here, but remember, say 'Hello' to your new countrymen. We're pretty good people and don't mind immigrants, but what we do mind is if you come to our country and give us the cold shoulder. Meet us down at the pub, learn as much of our language as you can and practice the old New Zealand tradition of greasy Fish & Chips on Fridays with lashings of tomato sauce and a trusty six-pack by your side. You'll fit in in no time. Alcohol is good like that.

Edit: Closer inspection reveals that xanthpi is in fact no longer banned. Shit.
hey dont forget me buddy, I was involved in that shitfight with xanthpi too!! (on your side for the record)
BVC
+325|6840
I think NZ immigration laws work reasonably well, our geographically isolation does help stop a lot of illegals from coming in (no land borders, in the arse-end of the pacific)
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6919|Noizyland

SharkyMcshark wrote:

hey dont forget me buddy, I was involved in that shitfight with xanthpi too!! (on your side for the record)
Oh yeah that's right, (laughs,) that was classic.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard