Commie Killer
+192|6383
All these things taken seperately would be innocuous, but when together it interests me. I think that we may be looking at war on the Korea peninsulla, and I believe that Russia is going to support Korea non officially, through possible pressure on US/NATO efforts in afganistan, and disarmament.

North Korea plans rocket launch
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7907039.stm

Hillary warns NK about missile testing
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne … sting.html

North Korea wont gaurantee the saftey of aircraft around its border
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World- … _Exercises

North Korea will go to war if there is any attempt to shoot down its satalite
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7931670.stm

All after this:

Biden warns Obama will be tested with first 6 months
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/200 … st_ob.html

Russia wants to disarm now
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009 … 510285.htm

Kyrgyzstan closes US base in what is diplomatic victory for Russia
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7868586.stm

Russia may help the US in Afganistan
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/europ … 65335.html

Maybe Im just high, maybe reading Red Storm Rising twice was to much.

Last edited by Commie Killer (2009-03-09 13:08:41)

FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6496|so randum
The Russians definatly can't afford a proper war, i think they'll steer far clear of the NKs
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6617|London, England
About North Korea, big deal. People are just making a big deal about it for no reason. Most people just want to hate for the sake of hating, cos that's how it's always been. Honestly, even if they are using a rocket launch for a satellite as a guise for a long range missile, who gives a fuck. Their numero uno #1 is still their fellow ethnic Koreans south of their border.
Commie Killer
+192|6383

FatherTed wrote:

The Russians definatly can't afford a proper war, i think they'll steer far clear of the NKs
I dont believe that they can or would either, but with US forces stuck in Afganistan(Russia technically controls a major nearby airbase now), more could be tied up on the Korea peninsulla, and we wouldnt have the sea and airlift support to provide for both of those conflicts, there would be absolutely nothing left to support another conflict that Russia would now be free to brew up.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6496|so randum

Mekstizzle wrote:

About North Korea, big deal. People are just making a big deal about it for no reason. Most people just want to hate for the sake of hating, cos that's how it's always been. Honestly, even if they are using a rocket launch for a satellite as a guise for a long range missile, who gives a fuck. Their numero uno #1 is still their fellow ethnic Koreans south of their border.
Mek tbf, if a country say's it'll attack you if you blow up a missile which is over your airspace, you tend to take notice, however stupid the threat is.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6443|Chicago, IL
Nobody likes North Korea, that includes the Russians and the Chinese, both of them are currently focused on economy building, and would have no vested interest in supporting their bastard child this time around.

Russia is not in a position to pay for a war, and the Chinese are getting closer to the west every day.  There may be a war in Korea, but the North Koreans will be on their own this time.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6526|Global Command

FatherTed wrote:

I don't.

We pissed the russians off right good in both Vietnam ( our pilots going against soviet migs ) and especially in Afghanistan.

Plus, whenever there is a desire on Russias part to sieze more territory or otherwise missbehave there is nothing like a international crisis to make that easier.

If there is action of some sorts in Korea look to the ruskies to invade the Ukraine.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6496|so randum

Commie Killer wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

I dont believe that they can or would either, but with US forces stuck in Afganistan(Russia technically controls a major nearby airbase now), more could be tied up on the Korea peninsulla, and we wouldnt have the sea and airlift support to provide for both of those conflicts, there would be absolutely nothing left to support another conflict that Russia would now be free to brew up.
You still have the UK and Germany, and Turkey too iirc, and you're unlikely to lose them anytime in the near future. Considering most of Russias major population centres/industry and economic hubs are located within strike range of all these bases, i wouldn't worry
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Commie Killer
+192|6383

FatherTed wrote:

Commie Killer wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

You still have the UK and Germany, and Turkey too iirc, and you're unlikely to lose them anytime in the near future. Considering most of Russias major population centres/industry and economic hubs are located within strike range of all these bases, i wouldn't worry
Your cities/ports/towns/factories/and goverenments are in range too. Russians have been proving all to often anymore that they have no problem sending a Bear of a Backfire to say hi.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6617|London, England

FatherTed wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Mek tbf, if a country say's it'll attack you if you blow up a missile which is over your airspace, you tend to take notice, however stupid the threat is.
Who's airspace is gonna be violated? I don't remember reading that bit, South Korea's...Japan.....PRC?
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6496|so randum

Commie Killer wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

Commie Killer wrote:

Your cities/ports/towns/factories/and goverenments are in range too. Russians have been proving all to often anymore that they have no problem sending a Bear of a Backfire to say hi.
If they could just about put up a fight against the US, with the EU against them they would be totally overwhelmed. None of the big players in the EU mil have much time for Russia. The only way Russia could really do enough damage quick enough would be to go Nuclear. And i doubt N.Korea means that much to them.

If the shit hits the fan with N.Korea (which i think is more a matter of when than if) I seriously doubt you'd have any serious Russian support, covert or otherwise. Maybe a bit of hardware being given over, but nothing too serious.

Mekstizzle wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Who's airspace is gonna be violated? I don't remember reading that bit, South Korea's...Japan.....PRC?
Japan said in no uncertain terms they'd love to test their missile defences against this korean thingy

Last edited by FatherTed (2009-03-09 13:19:36)

Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6219|Escea

FatherTed wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

I remember watching a documentary that was filmed undercover in NK. Some of the people there were determined to fight the US, they've got big billboard posters demonising the US as well. If Kimmy even drops the word they would roll in, they follow every command he gives with blindess to what might actually happen. One guy even told the reporter that the NK people fighting are more powerful than nuclear weapons and that they weren't afraid of them. That's a dangerous way of thinking in such an isolated and militaristic country.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6443|Chicago, IL

M.O.A.B wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

I remember watching a documentary that was filmed undercover in NK. Some of the people there were determined to fight the US, they've got big billboard posters demonising the US as well. If Kimmy even drops the word they would roll in, they follow every command he gives with blindess to what might actually happen. One guy even told the reporter that the NK people fighting are more powerful than nuclear weapons and that they weren't afraid of them. That's a dangerous way of thinking in such an isolated and militaristic country.
But nothing we haven't fought before

except this time Japan's on our side
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6219|Escea

S.Lythberg wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

Oh I know that. But just to point out that NK's threats, taken as a joke most of the time myself included, should still be taken as threats. They've got one the largest standing armies in the world, poorly equipped and trained nonetheless. But despite that, they have an ideology that revolves around Kim who they see pretty much to be a god, willing to carry out any order he gives with a big disregard to the consequences themselves. I would bet a lot of the NK military would like the chance to hit the SK or Japanese, and especially the US.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6496|so randum

M.O.A.B wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

Oh I know that. But just to point out that NK's threats, taken as a joke most of the time myself included, should still be taken as threats. They've got one the largest standing armies in the world, poorly equipped and trained nonetheless. But despite that, they have an ideology that revolves around Kim who they see pretty much to be a god, willing to carry out any order he gives with a big disregard to the consequences themselves. I would bet a lot of the NK military would like the chance to hit the SK or Japanese, and especially the US.
Means shit all, they have zero projection.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6443|Chicago, IL

M.O.A.B wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

The fact that they are poorly trained and equipped is precisely why they are taken as a joke, the human wall technique worked well enough in the 40's and 50's, but is hopelessly outdated against today's weapons.

The only problem i could forsee is the sheer scale of the massacre would turn off a lot of people, even if NK is the agressor
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6486|Gogledd Cymru

I've been thinking similar thoughts then again, I finished reading Red storm rising the other week
maffiaw
ph33r me 傻逼
+40|6417|Melbourne, AUS
Don't get taken in by all this political posturing by all sides, especially NK. All they want is more bargaining chips so they can get more concessions and aid from the new US administration at the next round of talks.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard