• Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Xbox 360, wiring an ethernet cable from upstairs to downstairs.
sportsman11-2cool4u
We can be those mistakes!
+98|6337|USA Biznatch!
Well, after all my attempts at failing to get videos and music onto my computer a friends who actualy knows how to do it showed me last night so thank god that's over. Well, since I get a HORRIBLE connection downstairs via a wireless adapter, I want to wire it. Now, I pretty much own the xbox since my brother is going off soon and my little brother well, I can kick him off always haha =P. So my whole point to this is what ethernet cable to get? I can look on the router and xbox is you need any specs.

Oh yeah keep it on ebay as my brothers selling shit for college for some money and I'm gonna sell some stuff too so I might as well buy it there. Thanks.

EDIT: Totally forgot, it's going from the upstairs (2nd floor) to my basement.

Last edited by sportsman11-2cool4u (2009-03-07 16:45:18)

FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6510|so randum

sportsman11-2cool4u wrote:

Well, after all my attempts at failing to get videos and music onto my computer a friends who actualy knows how to do it showed me last night so thank god that's over. Well, since I get a HORRIBLE connection downstairs via a wireless adapter, I want to wire it. Now, I pretty much own the xbox since my brother is going off soon and my little brother well, I can kick him off always haha =P. So my whole point to this is what ethernet cable to get? I can look on the router and xbox is you need any specs.

Oh yeah keep it on ebay as my brothers selling shit for college for some money and I'm gonna sell some stuff too so I might as well buy it there. Thanks.
XBL isn't too internet demanding, so the longest ethernet cable you need will be 100% A-OK.

Mine was wired about 40m from router and it worked perfectly. Although, i was using an 8mb connection
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
sportsman11-2cool4u
+98|6337|USA Biznatch!
Ok, thanks. But is there any type/specific ethernet cable you need? Or will any old ethernet cable work?
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6749|Toronto | Canada

Ok, thanks. But is there any type/specific ethernet cable you need? Or will any old ethernet cable work?
A really long one
sportsman11-2cool4u
+98|6337|USA Biznatch!
Ok I'm thinking a 100 foot would do. Would this work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/CAT5e-CAT5-CAT-5-5e … 1|294%3A50
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6510|so randum

Ok I'm thinking a 100 foot would do. Would this work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/CAT5e-CAT5-CAT-5-5e … 1|294%3A50
assuming it's long enough, perfectly.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
sportsman11-2cool4u
+98|6337|USA Biznatch!
Alright thanks guys +1!
Brasso
+1,549|6640

two powerline adapters and you won't have wires all throughout the house
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Defiance
+438|6681

haffeysucks wrote:

Nope, no wires. No Gb/100Mb either; with an added bonus of latency, instability and extra hardware.

It's an option, but a bad one imo.
Brasso
+1,549|6640

Defiance wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

Nope, no wires. No Gb/100Mb either; with an added bonus of latency, instability and extra hardware.

It's an option, but a bad one imo.
100Mb is possible, Gb might not.  Latency is maybe 2ms.  Instability?  Not with the Panasonics I have.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Obiwan
Go Cards !!
+196|6704|The Ville
I did that to mine. I wanted to play from my projector and it's in the basement and my router is upstairs. I however had to cut the plug off and re wire it to get it to fit and after a couple of go's I got it working.
baggs
+732|6214

haffeysucks wrote:

This.

Just don't buy cheap crap!!!!!!
mikkel
+383|6611

FatherTed wrote:

XBL isn't too internet demanding, so the longest ethernet cable you need will be 100% A-OK.

Mine was wired about 40m from router and it worked perfectly. Although, i was using an 8mb connection
The Category 5 and Category 5e standards are specified to work at distances of up to 100 metres. Doesn't matter how much data you transfer.
  • Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Xbox 360, wiring an ethernet cable from upstairs to downstairs.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard