Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6108|eXtreme to the maX
Legality of alcohol can't be reconciled, simple as that.

If it were discovered tomorrow it would illegal the day after, it causes immense personal and social harm.
Its readily accepted in society though, and that the way it is.

Cannabis is still not seen as a good thing by society in general - hence no real push to get it legalised, and whatever Dr Whacko boils up in his lab tomorrow won't be either.

I am still opposed to legalisation, a lot of people might be able to 'handle it' but given how many can't handle alcohol I somehow doubt thats true.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2009-03-04 02:51:57)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6408|North Carolina

Dilbert_X wrote:

If it were discovered tomorrow it would illegal the day after, it causes immense personal and social harm.

Cannabis is still not seen as a good thing by society in general - hence no real push to get it legalised, and whatever Dr Whacko boils up in his lab tomorrow won't be either.

I am still opposed to legalisation, a lot of people might be able to 'handle it' but given how many can't handle alcohol I somehow doubt thats true.
So you'd rather have us continue spending tons on enforcing drug laws on marijuana, when the costs of dealing with abuse if it was legal would be much lower (partially because of the tax revenue that could be gained by taxing it and then using it for rehabs and the like)?

I can see why you'd fight legalizing cocaine, but pot really should be legal at this point.  There is no logical reason to keep it illegal.
BVC
+325|6698

Dilbert_X wrote:

If the legality of alcohol cannot be reconciled, would you accept a ban on non-medical alcohol in order to bring about moral consistency?  If you oppose an alcohol ban, are you aware that this opens you and other who hold this position to accusations of hypocrisy?

Do you dispute that marijuana has any positive uses?  If you acknowledge that it does have some positive uses, do you think that these should be mentioned in government-funded anti drug education in order to maintain the politcal neutrality which is required by public institutions across the democratic world?
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6496|N. Ireland
As long as regulation costs are below overall revenue for it then it's good.
¦TØP¦ Rommel1l
+8|6305

Superior Mind wrote:

Does this mean no more DEA harassment of vendors legal under California law?
It means exactly that.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6108|eXtreme to the maX
If the legality of alcohol cannot be reconciled, would you accept a ban on non-medical alcohol in order to bring about moral consistency?
If society chose to ban it I would accept it.
I can live without it, doesn't mean I don't mind a cold beer now and then.
Do you dispute that marijuana has any positive uses?
Of course not, cocaine, ecstacy, morphine and heroin are used medicinally, I don't think people should be allowed to self-medicate with them for lulz though.
So you'd rather have us continue spending tons on enforcing drug laws on marijuana, when the costs of dealing with abuse if it was legal would be much lower
There would be other costs which would be higher, taken together its hard to say if there would be a net gain or loss - it would be nice to see the drug gangs lose some income though.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
BVC
+325|6698
I've often wondered about international effects of legalisation within specific countries.  Here all of our weed is grown locally due to our nearest neighbours being 3-4 hours away by air.  If it were legalised for general use in the USA, what effect do you think it would have upon relations with, and immigration traffic (legal or otherwise) from Mexico?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6635|949

Pubic wrote:

I've often wondered about international effects of legalisation within specific countries.  Here all of our weed is grown locally due to our nearest neighbours being 3-4 hours away by air.  If it were legalised for general use in the USA, what effect do you think it would have upon relations with, and immigration traffic (legal or otherwise) from Mexico?
Well a lot of the weed directly imported from Mexico is of the less potent variety, however it is assumed the Mexican Mafia and/or Mexican drug gangs also grow a lot of pot here too.  I think it would actually impede their efforts unless they sold to legal dispensaries.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard