Col-Khadafi
+0|6766|Your Mom's House
*Ima add more info and some purdy colors / picks*
*Correct anything you see wrong*

Tank Guide

-This is For Tanks, that means the M1A2, the T-90 and the Type 98, and nothing else-

>Before you even get in a tank, get your settings correct. Push your vehicle mouse settings to 4.0 or higher (play around with it a little). This will allow you to quickly turn around to shoot something behind you or something that just drove by you. Theres nothing fun about having to drag your mouse across the mousepad 4 times just to turn around.

>Know your hotkeys. by default, F9, F10 and F11 are the camera change keys (c cycles them). If you've got a mouse with more then 2 buttons, put them on it for fast change. You should be constantly checking behind you, making sure no one is seaking behind you with some C4.

> Pay attention. Move the turret around, check places where units often hide. Dont be afraid to lob a shell somewhere if you think someone could be there.

>Know the warnings. The lock on siren doesn't always mean an Anti Tank. Bombers, TOWs (both APC and Stationary) and possibly TV guided (correct me if im wrong) will all give you a warning if you're being targeted.
a targeted symbol w/o a siren is a at mine. You wont show up as a target if you're in the gunners seat, but this will only help you vrs bombs/laser missiles.

> Lead your target. Moving targets, even those that arnt even going that fast, will require leading. Shoot ahead of the target based on the range (farther away = farther lead), speed and possible heigh changes. For shooting something far away, you usually have to aim higher than you think.

>Never stop in a battle. When combating any vehicle (land or air), always move around. Turn your treads sideways and move back and forth to avoid projectiles. If you need to stop breifly to when firing, go ahead, but keep moving afterwards. Dont pop smoke and then just sit there, use it and quickly move out of the way.

>Use your bulk. If an APC decides to fight, they'll usually move closer to you. If they've already used their tow, charge into them and push them. It makes it a lot harder for them to hit you, or even move for that matter. Remember, the barrel ends right as it starts on the model, so the rest of it will just clip through an enemy (which means you can shoot stuff even if it looks like your barrel is too long). Raming can also expose vehicles underbelly, which is weak. APC's wont be able to hit you with a tow if you're right up next to them

>Soften it up. If your assulting an area alone, put a few hits into any vancant vehicles (make sure no one else, including your gunner, is able to use it). This will soften them up and make for an easier fight if someone manages to hop inside. Stationary TOWs can be taken out with 1 shell as well.

>Pick your shots. Dont shoot something just because you see it. Wait tell you know it will it, or at least scare them away, before you shoot. If you manage to sneak up behind another tank, aim for its treads (the link from the last wheel to the base of the tank). If a jihad jeep comes after you, wait tell it comes strait at you, then shoot infront of it (depending on its speed). When going for ground troops, show your shells at the base of their feet.

Tank armor / weaknesses  info

>Dont Fear Helis. Go ahead and take pot shots if you see a heli in the distance. You have to lead a lot more (both for speed and altitude), even if them seem to barley be moving. If you're being attacked by an heli, there are 2 things you can do: 1) pop smoke and move quickly. Even with gunners, most helis will strafe you, opposed to just hovering. If you've got building cover (sheds, small streets, ect) hide behind those. 2) move twords its. If its moving fast and flying high, if you moving towards it can put you behind it before they can really let the rockets go. If you survive the strafe, fight back! The 2nd fire for tanks will damage the heli, and if    they start to fly high, jump into your gunners spot. The .50 cals rip right through helis, even moreso then mobile AA weapons. Dont forget to lead with the .50 cal, too.

>Land mine spotted! The presence of mines is indicated by a "locked on" symbol without any siren, regardless of who's mine it is (friend/foe). If its not ovbious where it is, then switch chamer modes and check behind you. Smart miners put them on tops of hills, sharp conrers or bushes, so pay atterntion those. If the mine is in plain sight, you can use the main gun to blow them out of the way.  If you get traped by an engeneer (either mines under treds in both directions or a mine on top of you), DONT shoot the main gun. This moves the tank enough to set the mines off. If you cant get him with 2nd fire or the gunner seat, go ahead and get out and fight, as he cant really get in and drive away. It now seems mines can be set off with grenades as well. If you go trapped, its probably best to get out as soon as you can

>C4 and such. If you catch a Spec Ops running twords your tank, make it your prime target. If he's too close to hit, dont be afraid to get out and shoot. Most people are too focused on trying to "own" you with their c4, and are oblivious to anyone neer them. You can often take them down (specially with shotguns) before they can land it on you. Trying to run over spec ops often doesnt work, but can if they are directly infront of/behind you and aren't trying to throw the C4 too far.

>Shot Timing. When you get into closer quarters tank vrs tank fights, pay attention to your fire time compared to their fire time. If they go right after you, you can take them out even if you're down in the low (2-4 bars) health range. If your shots are equal distance apart, then its often the first shooter who wins. If you're not that person, move away (behind a obstacle or down a hill) and try getting another hit over them.  Running, smoke poping and raming are pretty useless in close tanks fights (unless the other guy sucks), so its better to line up your shots and try for a tread hit. If, however, they miss, then go ahead and run up and blast them.

>Active Vehicles. Always make sure there is someone in a tank before you go ahead and finish it off. Many Anti-Tanks just do what they can with their vehicle then pop out and try to finish you off with an Eyrx/SRAW.

Last edited by Col-Khadafi (2005-10-10 12:43:35)

BlacksCougars
Kitless Roof Jumper Bird
+0|6744
Thanks man thats heaps of help, I might go try some of those tactics out.
Cimlite
+1|6814|Sweden
Another thing on this subject is that AT mines (and claymore mines) can be blown up in 1.03. So if your path is blocked by mines just either shoot them with the tanks maingun or get out and toss a nade at them.

The mines also blows up, doing all it's damage... so if you get in the situation described in the guide where you have an enemy with a mine under him and he's not moving, a nade will fix the situation.
Doyley
+1|6778|Australia
Also, just to add, if your a tank driver, try to be an engineer so you can repair your tank when you get the chance (usually pop smoke and drive around a corner or away from battle. When you repair keep moving as snipers will pick you off and nick your tank)
kilroy0097
Kilroy Is Here!
+81|6813|Bryan/College Station, TX

Cimlite wrote:

Another thing on this subject is that AT mines (and claymore mines) can be blown up in 1.03. So if your path is blocked by mines just either shoot them with the tanks maingun or get out and toss a nade at them.

The mines also blows up, doing all it's damage... so if you get in the situation described in the guide where you have an enemy with a mine under him and he's not moving, a nade will fix the situation.
You can blow them up now? really? Well I didn't know they did that in the patch. Cool.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
Chard
+1|6801|Christchurch, New Zealand

kilroy0097 wrote:

You can blow them up now? really? Well I didn't know they did that in the patch. Cool.
Col-Khadafi
+0|6766|Your Mom's House
yEa i Just read about this mine removal tactic (see the engeneering guide for more. Ill update mine.
luckybaer
+10|6744| Going Feral
I can't wait to try the "push vehicle mouse setting" tip.

What a great idea!  Thanks.

I never thought of that.  I usually mess around with my Mouse's DPI setting.
Gilgalad
Renaissance Soldier
+2|6747|Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Well written. I think that most good tank drivers knew this stuff already, but it will be good for all those tank grabbing n00bs on my teams last night. Don't forget that if you have a decent commander, you'll usually get UAV when assaulting a base, which is as useful as switching views. (I was even accused of hacking because I saw a bunch of guys on UAV and killed them before they even broke cover thanks to splash damage from the main shell)
McCullough
+7|6808
You can change the speed of the turret movement!? had no idea about that. Actually i never looket at the vehicle controls untill now. thanks for the tip.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard