sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6727|Argentina
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7914357.stm

China has responded in detail to a US report published this week criticising China for alleged rights abuses.

Beijing released its own report on the US, saying crime is a threat to many Americans and racial discrimination prevails in social life across the US.

When US officials first published their report on China, Beijing told them to mind their own business.

The BBC's James Reynolds, in Beijing, says the reports are a standard yearly exchange with little practical impact.

The 9,000-word Chinese report depicts a bleak picture of the US, saying violent crime is a widespread threat to people's lives, property and personal security.

The American people's economic, social and cultural rights are not properly protected, say the Chinese, and many young Americans "have personality disorders".
It seems they took a long time to make this report, let's say one day.  GG China.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

sergeriver wrote:

It seems they took a long time to make this report, let's say one day.  GG China.
The US made one first, but hey, let's ignore that irony and focus on the irony of China.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6499|Global Command
yet the chicoms are snapping up foreclosed kalifornia houses.
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6548|Columbus, OH
Does anything get resolved when one country criticizes another country of rights abuse? Any way Touche China....good report.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6732

AussieReaper wrote:

The US made one first, but hey, let's ignore that irony and focus on the irony of China.
lets have ultimate irony and have you post something positive, just once, about the US.  instead of crying all the time.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

usmarine wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

lets have ultimate irony and have you post something positive, just once, about the US.  instead of crying all the time.
Pass me your rose tinted glasses, first.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6732

AussieReaper wrote:

usmarine wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

or just talk about the OP.  but you cant it seems.  you have to go right into compare mode.  sad really.

"yes but zomg the US does..........."
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

usmarine wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

usmarine wrote:

or just talk about the OP.  but you cant it seems.  you have to go right into compare mode.  sad really.

Feel free to compare my post that mentions the US started it, with your post talking about the OP. Wait, you can't. Your posts haven't mentioned the OP, other than just trying to troll and never add anything to yet another topic, how about you add something to the thread?
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6381|'Murka

AussieReaper wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

How about we focus on the irony of a country with a totally homogeneous racial population making "racism" claims about the inner workings of a country with some racial diversity?

They're just being pissy because everyone in the world except them has a problem with their human rights record.

Their report sounds remarkably like the BS the Soviets would spew about the US: crime-ridden, can't walk the streets at night because of "capitalist gangsters", blah, blah, blah. That was proven ridiculous, as well.

Last edited by FEOS (2009-02-27 07:23:40)

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

FEOS wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

How about we focus on the irony of a country with a totally homogeneous racial population making "racism" claims about the inner workings of a country with some racial diversity?
China haven't quite reached the goal of making it to a homogeneous racial population, they are still working on removing Tibet as a country within their own, you did notice that lovely railroad they built into Tibet, you know, the one said to unify the two countries but which then brought carriages full of soldiers?

You assume I don't care about the abuse in China, not only in Tibet but of the entire populace living in poverty? Homes were bulldozed to make way for the Olympic stadiums, not even that, let's be honest here, homes were demolished to make the backdrop to the Olympics more palatable to the eye for the western viewer. So called slums that were thought to possibly draw negative media attention around the Olympic area had the home owners forcibly removed and without compensation they lost everything.

Now I'm all for criticism coming from another country with regards to human rights violations, but thinking that China is unqualified to offer a retort to another of the worlds recent human rights violators is cutting it a bit close towards bigotry imo.

FEOS wrote:

They're just being pissy because everyone in the world except them has a problem with their human rights record.
^irony

Last edited by AussieReaper (2009-02-27 07:30:48)

FEOS
+1,182|6381|'Murka

AussieReaper wrote:

Now I'm all for criticism coming from another country with regards to human rights violations, but thinking that China is unqualified to offer a retort to another of the worlds recent human rights violators is cutting it a bit close towards bigotry imo.
How can a country with no other races (notice I said races, not cultural subgroups) know anything about dealing with a non-homogeneous race demographic? They don't. Thus, they are unqualified to make an assessment of that dynamic. If they want to remark on economic class differentials and the impact on human rights, go for it. They are certainly qualified to make that remark.

It's not about bigotry. Not even close to it.

AussieReaper wrote:

FEOS wrote:

^irony
icwatudidthar

The US's human rights record is just atrocious. That's why so many people are clamoring to leave.

No...that's not right.

The US's human rights record is just atrocious. That's why nobody is trying to immigrate here, both legally and illegally.

No...that's not right, either.

Damn. I'm stumped. Stupid facts. So damned inconvenient.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

FEOS wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

How can a country with no other races (notice I said races, not cultural subgroups) know anything about dealing with a non-homogeneous race demographic? They don't. Thus, they are unqualified to make an assessment of that dynamic. If they want to remark on economic class differentials and the impact on human rights, go for it. They are certainly qualified to make that remark.

Well China is just one of the voices of many critical the US stance on human rights of late, rather then condemn their double standards I thought it might be prudent to point out this "report" was in retaliation to the US report on China. This is a dick waving contest at an international level and these two players are compensating.

FEOS wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

FEOS wrote:

^irony
icwatudidthar

The US's human rights record is just atrocious. That's why so many people are clamoring to leave.

No...that's not right.

The US's human rights record is just atrocious. That's why nobody is trying to immigrate here, both legally and illegally.

Yeah, immigration, that's a clear indicator of human rights treatment. Except, the US doesn't violate human rights within it's own borders, that's what Gitmo was for, along with all the other facility across the globe that don't make the headlines.

Feel free to weigh in on the dick waving contest by using tourism and immigration figures. Hey, maybe you think China's stance on 1 child per couple is a human rights violation too?

Here's a shock, I think it is, when taken into the context of how Chinese culture prefers males to females in a family thus causing huge numbers of orphans because they were the wrong sex. However it is a required law due to overpopulation. It needs better management but you'd sooner look at who visits and decides to stay to make your judgement on human rights in China.
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6617
It's a bit funny when they compare how our citizens act towards how their government acts. Silly Chinamen.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum
coming from china, with that wonderful 3 gorges plan?

lol
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6676

FEOS wrote:

I really hope that's sarcasm.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6727|Argentina

AussieReaper wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

The thing is the US report took longer than a day to write, and the Chinese one just one day, not very clever IMO.  Just a retalition, like many threads here.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6551|SE London

FEOS wrote:

No...that's not right.

Human rights != Quality of life.

The US has, over recent years, a fairly poor human rights record (compared with their social peers - EU, Canada etc.).

China has an abysmal human rights record (compared with almost anyone) - but is improving, very slowly.

It is clearly a stupid report China have written, simply as a backlash against the US. On the other hand, people who live in glass houses........
maffiaw
ph33r me 傻逼
+40|6391|Melbourne, AUS
why are we all taking this seriously. It's is just a diplomatic tit-for-tat.

Hilldog probably pissed off the Anti-China Lobby (so-called human rights activists) by not paying lip service to human rights during her visit to Beijing, so the US released a pointless report shortly after her return in appeasement to these people.

Then China of course releases a similarly pointless report in the never-ending annual bout over human rights.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6732

AussieReaper wrote:

usmarine wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Feel free to compare my post that mentions the US started it, with your post talking about the OP. Wait, you can't. Your posts haven't mentioned the OP, other than just trying to troll and never add anything to yet another topic, how about you add something to the thread?
add something...lol.  like you did?  who the fuck are you to preach anything?  i responded to you wonderful "addition" to this thread.
FEOS
+1,182|6381|'Murka

AussieReaper wrote:

FEOS wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Well China is just one of the voices of many critical the US stance on human rights of late, rather then condemn their double standards I thought it might be prudent to point out this "report" was in retaliation to the US report on China. This is a dick waving contest at an international level and these two players are compensating.
If they were talking about Gitmo or something along those lines, I'd say they have a point. But to call the level of crime and state of race relations in the US a "human rights" issue is just...silly.

AussieReaper wrote:

FEOS wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

^irony
icwatudidthar

No...that's not right.

Yeah, immigration, that's a clear indicator of human rights treatment. Except, the US doesn't violate human rights within it's own borders, that's what Gitmo was for, along with all the other facility across the globe that don't make the headlines.
Too bad that's not what they were talking about (see above).

AussieReaper wrote:

Feel free to weigh in on the dick waving contest by using tourism and immigration figures. Hey, maybe you think China's stance on 1 child per couple is a human rights violation too?
Immigration and emigration numbers would certainly be a good indicator of both internal and external views on human rights in a given country. Or do you really think that people pick up and move to a country that has an atrocious human rights record? That's simply nonsensical.

AussieReaper wrote:

Here's a shock, I think it is, when taken into the context of how Chinese culture prefers males to females in a family thus causing huge numbers of orphans because they were the wrong sex. However it is a required law due to overpopulation. It needs better management but you'd sooner look at who visits and decides to stay to make your judgement on human rights in China.
Where did I ever say that was a sole measurement? I didn't.

I know quite a bit about that whole issue, as my daughter was one of those orphans. I don't see their one child policy as being a human rights issue. I do, however, see their imprisoning political dissidents a human rights issue. Oh wait a minute...that didn't have anything to do with the one child policy, did it?

I do, however, see their crackdown on free expression of religion to be a human rights issues. That didn't have anything to do with the one child policy, either....weird.

I do, however, see their restriction of freedom of speech, both in print and online, a human rights issue. No one child policy there, either.

I'm detecting a pattern here.
― Albert Einstein

FEOS
+1,182|6381|'Murka

Bertster7 wrote:

FEOS wrote:

No...that's not right.

The US has, over recent years, a fairly poor human rights record (compared with their social peers - EU, Canada etc.).

China has an abysmal human rights record (compared with almost anyone) - but is improving, very slowly.

It is clearly a stupid report China have written, simply as a backlash against the US. On the other hand, people who live in glass houses........
See previous posts re AussieReaper. Read the OP. It pointed to crime and race relations in the US, not Gitmo or anything else that presents a valid discussion point on US human rights issues.

And human rights has EVERYTHING to do with quality of life.

Nowhere did I say that the US hasn't had human rights problems in the recent past. What I DID say (reading comprehension ftw) is that China's examples of human rights violations in the US are shit. They didn't say shit about Gitmo or rendition because they have no problems with that.
― Albert Einstein

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6551|SE London

FEOS wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

FEOS wrote:

No...that's not right.

See previous posts re AussieReaper. Read the OP. It pointed to crime and race relations in the US, not Gitmo or anything else that presents a valid discussion point on US human rights issues.

And human rights has EVERYTHING to do with quality of life.

Nowhere did I say that the US hasn't had human rights problems in the recent past. What I DID say (reading comprehension ftw) is that China's examples of human rights violations in the US are shit. They didn't say shit about Gitmo or rendition because they have no problems with that.
Human rights don't have everything to do with quality of life. It has something to do with it. But, particularly when those human rights abuses are rarely against your own citizens, it is certainly not everything.

All I was doing is pointing out that human rights are far less relevant than quality of life for immigrants - since much of your argument seemed based around immigration and human rights would be a secondary factor, at best, in that instance.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2009-02-28 03:06:53)

Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6119|'straya
Here we go again...
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6375|North Carolina
China criticizing racism is like Sierra Leone criticizing poverty....

Hey, China, we'll take your advice on race relations as soon as you fix your problems with the Uyghurs.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

Turquoise wrote:

China criticizing racism is like Sierra Leone criticizing poverty....

Hey, China, we'll take your advice on race relations as soon as you fix your problems with the Uyghurs.
But don't ya know, they might be terrorists!
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard