Torin
+52|6700
Alright, so normally I'm used to just owning it up, no matter what plane I'm in, too many noobs in the world not to.

So since the patch, I've noticed that the J-10 can avoid incoming AA fire, I occasionally also did the same with other jets, so I didn't think much of it. Then today, I was playing a couple rounds of Dalian Plant, first round in the F-35B going against a decent J-10 pilot. I take him down a couple times, I guess he was warming up, never really got behind me, or the times he did, I broke him before he got tone.

So then a minute or two later, he comes out of nowhere, bam, blows me out of the sky. Repeat 1 or 2 times and I'm really starting to wonder wtf I'm doing wrong. So I'm more careful, start to fly higher, catch him befoe he cathes me. I get behind him 4 consecutive times in a row, get tone, wait for flares, re-lock and fire off all 6 missiles. 24 missiles later, I've hit him once. It wasn't deep turns breaking the lock (although I was doing deep turns against him and he was still blowing me out of the sky), it was just simple stuff, like you'd expect to work in 1.12. So 24 missiles later, he manages to get behind me, 2 missiles and I'm dead again.

Fast forward to the next round, sides switch, I'm on PLA now. Get in my J-10 and proceed to just own the crap out of this dude, never died, shot him down without needing to rearm everytime I saw him, etc. So I start to wonder if it really is that easy to consciously lose AA missiles with simple evasive manuevers. I start strafing the Essex, taking down whatever is up to get someone to use the Essex AA guns. Eventually someone does, and I let him get tone and fire, no flares, just do simple rudder turns and mild pitch/yaw and amazingly, multiple times in a row, I'd dodge all 8 essex missiles with no flares. WTF?

Nerf the J-10!
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6709
the j-10 and eurofighter seem pretty prone to breaking missile locks. The missiles appear to go straight at them, but then dip 'under' them and fly away. Thats been my experience at least.
Torin
+52|6700
That's another thing, if you're chasing a J-10 that is chasing a friendly plane, better to not fire, because you'll probably just kill your team-mate. Any other plane though, and assuming no flares, you're safe to blow him away.
BUDFORCE
Moderator Emeritus
+76|6780|London UK

Torin I was about to post something similar myself.

There is a definate balance issue youve raised here.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6755|The United Center
theres nothing to say here that hasnt already been said.

...but yes, i definitely agree.  it almost seems as if the hitboxes are smaller or something and that the missiles just bounce off then go on their merry way.
Gen. Payne
+50|6715|USA
Yeah, I've noticed that too. Whenever I fight a J-10, even if it's flying level, my missle will get close and then fly right under the plane. I like it better just to unload on it with my guns.
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6772|Dallas
I vote to just take planes out of the game all together.  That would instantly eliminate 74% of the bugs, glitches and complaints in the game.  Not to mention eliminate all the plane whores.  The only negative side effect to this would be listening to the fly-boys whine and cry like little pussies in every BF2 forum known to man.
Ghosty
+3|6680|Leicester,UK
personaly i aint had any problems shooting down J -  10s and as for dogeing missiles can do it in any plane.....

Last edited by Ghosty (2006-03-20 13:35:24)

notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6755|The United Center

Cougar wrote:

I vote to just take planes out of the game all together.  That would instantly eliminate 74% of the bugs, glitches and complaints in the game.  Not to mention eliminate all the plane whores.  The only negative side effect to this would be listening to the fly-boys whine and cry like little pussies in every BF2 forum known to man.
yeah, that, and the premise that one of the main points behind BF2 is the ability to fight as infantry, in tanks, in choppers, or in jets...

also, i love how people complain about something, then make fun of other people complaining.

awww, jets suck...i always get killed and im not a very good pilot...its not fair!  take them out and let everyone else cry like babies!  LOL!
good post.  it really added a lot to the discussion.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6661
The J10 has a near-100% chance of dodging missles if you know how

Also, mr. "24 missles later", have you ever heard of guns? Heck, have you ever flown a jet pre-1.2? Try using them, they actually do work

The Su-34 also seems strangely resilient to missles if you use the same method of dodging as with the J-10.
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
wooly-back-jack
Jihaaaaaad!!!
+84|6748|England
J10 is just plain filth now compared to the other planes, does need some balancing.
The Soup Nazi
+18|6795|North Lauderdale, FL
Read this for further information regarding J-10 balance issues in 1.21 http://www.totalbf2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61220
wooly-back-jack
Jihaaaaaad!!!
+84|6748|England

The Soup Nazi wrote:

Read this for further information regarding J-10 balance issues in 1.21 http://www.totalbf2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61220
top link, thanks for that
Torin
+52|6700

SargeV1.4 wrote:

The J10 has a near-100% chance of dodging missles if you know how

Also, mr. "24 missles later", have you ever heard of guns? Heck, have you ever flown a jet pre-1.2? Try using them, they actually do work

The Su-34 also seems strangely resilient to missles if you use the same method of dodging as with the J-10.
Yeah, thanks for assuming I didn't. I was very successful pre 1.2 with the machine guns, and I still do use them, but if you flew pre 1.2, and knowing how quickly you CAN take down a jet in 1.21 (except the J-10), you tend to rely more on missiles. If I really wanted to chase another good pilot around for 20 minutes with the machine guns, I wouldn't really be on here bitching about the J-10s effectiveness against missiles, would I? The point is not that jets can or can't be killed by machine guns, it's that the J-10 is alone in it's effectiveness in dodging AA, unlike any other jet in the game.

And don't reply back with "well you don't know how to use the MGs if it takes you 20 minutes to kill someone", because not only was I exaggerating, and not only are they not very effective in fighter vs. fighter combat (which IS what I am discussing here), it just isn't the point of the thread. Yes, sure, I can MG down any plane in the game with any plane, given enough time, but that's not the point, obviously.
The Soup Nazi

wooly-back-jack wrote:

The Soup Nazi wrote:

top link, thanks for that
Anytime.
DebonairXcel
+40|6621|Minnesota
That was quite a nice link, plane***** did a good job describing the symptoms and treatment for J-10 imbalance.  An additional problem with the fighters is the size of the hit-boxes, the j-10 and eurofighter have very small profiles compared to the Mig-29 and bombers. 

But in terms of hitting J-10s much of it seems similar to hitting them in 1.12, it required a firm lock a bit of luck and a steady shot. 

If you want better results hitting the J-10s with missiles in this patch, I suggest waiting for them to be making some sort of incline oriented manuever.  Missile lock seems to improve dramatically when the speed of the jet decreases as well as at a distance.  Especially during loops, immermans, and split-S manuevers as per described by GotMex? in WIKI. 

Since the improvement of the 1.2 and 1.21 AA missiles, fewer pilots check their six, this means sneaking up on a J-10 is more likely, especially if done from above or below.  If you get in close go for a gun run, if the server latency and # of players is low lead only a little bit, if it is more populated or laggy you will probably have to lead significantly, of course this is all relative to a lower ping in relation to your opponent.  If your opponent has a low ping, do not expect much for results in fighter vs fighter gun battles. 

Additionally, the moment the J-10 starts turning off to evade, it is high time to attempt to missile-lock.  Decelerate your plane, while initiating your turn prior to his will allow for you to stay in visual range to finish lock and fire.  The moment that J-10 starts winning the turn war, pull off some sort of terrain oriented fast fast escape, immmerman, split-s combo to increase your chances of escaping prior to re-engagement. 

A skilled J-10/MiG pilot is especially detrimental to your team, but remember that on Dragon valley, Wake Island, Operation cleansweep, and Kubra Dam you have the option of taking over the enemy airfield thus mitigiating your woe. 

----Finally as a note regarding to the linked post, tank combat is not all equal as some may surmise, The M1A1 is not only larger vertically higher and horizontally longer, but has a significantly larger hit box in the rear which includes a larger hit box for treads, rear, and the back of the turrent.  This is somewhat offset by the M1A1s ability to aim equally low to the other thanks but significantly higher than the Type-98 PLA tank.  Additionally, the larger turrent on the M1A1 allows for effective ricochet hits. 

APCs also have this same discrepency, the LAV is significantly smaller than the MEC/PLA variants, it has a higher ROF than the PLA WZ-551, and slower but more powerful rounds than the MEC BDRM.  Additionally, the LAV can aim far lower than the PLA WZ-551 but not anywhere near as high, and can aim slightly higher than the MEC BDRM. 

What I'm trying to get at is that balance issues remain throughout the game, but the idea is to give each army an edge in certain aspects of combat.  The USMC has by far the most well rounded ground force, (aside from the .50 cal angle of moment on the buggy) the PLA the best jets/bombers and worst land vehicles (aside from the mobile AA), whereas the MEC is a middle man that wins out in basic infantry armanents, better attack helo rounds, etc, but is slightly weaker in ground vehicles.  So while it isn't fair that the PLA has by far the best airforce, the U.S. has slight advantages in helocopters, tanks, and infantry weapons that are designed for distance rather than close up encouters.  I agree the J-10 needs to be toned down, but in the meantime realize nothing is unbeatable and you do have advantages as the USMC even if they are harder to initially surmise.
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6655
I've got about 47 hours in planes and I'm pretty good. I still have yet to notice these little differences in planes. I usually win no matter what nowadays though cuz all you have to do is fly high around 300m and sneak behind them first. I had no idea the j-10 had any advantages like this.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6780|PNW

I have no more trouble taking out J-10's than any other type of plane, though I do admit that it is more difficult to hit them with a missile than it previously. My solution: bombing mode + 1-second gun strafe.
PlaneWhore
+59|6773
Since the 1.20 patch was released and hundreds of games later I've been killed a single time while in a J-10 by another plane. That death was completely my fault though.

J-10 versus J-10 dogfights are very very good, which I've experienced a few times now. They can hit each other with missiles, but not when they've reached the apex of a turn with lots of airspeed, however if you time your missiles right and pick your shots carefully you'll hit most missiles in a J-10 versus J-10 dogfight. The problem with other planes if the initial angle they head off at when intercepting a J-10 is always compromised to begin with because the J-10 is so much more maneuverable. Which is what I've based my recommendations for the adaptation of the J-10 flight model for all planes.

Dogfighting based off pure skill and cunning rather than team choice, and random chance variables. That's all I want, and hopefully DICE is listening.

Untill then I'll keep on whoring the J-10 every chance I get, always with a look of half contentment, half digusting on my face.
mhawk
+0|6646
The f-18 has a similar problem with hits.
washow
Get out of MY JET!!!
+23|6720
totally freaking agree although i'm a mediocre planewhore (i love you pw you are my hero)

anyway J-10 is crazy now

not that they don't get hit because of their small hitbox which i don't think it's true, it"s because of their speed

while F-35B's speed can drop to ~850 ish while turning, freaking J-10 can keep it's 1100 speed even while turning..

i kinda stopped flying after 1.2 patch because i was afraid that i'd get shot down every 2 sec even though i'm not so bad...

anyway after i realized the awesomeness still left in j-10, i started to play on wake as of last week

and amazingly, with the span of 2 days or so, i up'ed my ratio from 3.9 ish to 4.1 ish right now

so cool.. hehe

one more thing,

hey planewhore, can you like pm me with the server you play on a lot? i want to learn/play with yoU

thx
BUDFORCE
Moderator Emeritus
+76|6780|London UK

DebonairXcel its true what you are saying, it IS possible to take down a J10.

See what you are saying is only relative to each pilots skill. High skilled pilots spend alot of time checking behind them etc.

Im not the best pilot by a long way, but I have just short of 120 hours in a jet, and a K of about 5.80.

But in a J10, using the pull up and barrel roll technique, some of you will know what I mean, I can dodge teh AA missiles 90% of the time. Even 8 from the Essex isnt too hard to dodge. Now when I am in an F35B, Im pulling out every manouver I know, and I usually get owned.

All Im trying to say is, and I dont think you can argue, that if both pilots (one J10, one F35) are equally high skilled, the J10 pilot has a massive advantage over teh F35B pilot every time.

And its also true what you say about other vehicles being slightly unbalanced. But its not like the american APC can dodge teh MEC one, 90% of the time if the player is skilled enough. There is no real comparison to how overpowered the J10 really is.
PlaneWhore
+59|6773

washow wrote:

hey planewhore, can you like pm me with the server you play on a lot? i want to learn/play with yoU
CantStopGaming, Cain's Lair, among other but mostly those two servers. Though my infantry profile is a "secret" (heh heh) you should be able to spot me without too much trouble once an airplane capable map rolls around.
DebonairXcel
+40|6621|Minnesota

BUDFORCE wrote:

All Im trying to say is, and I dont think you can argue, that if both pilots (one J10, one F35) are equally high skilled, the J10 pilot has a massive advantage over teh F35B pilot every time.
Oh I totally agree Budforce, its a regular Gettsyburg with the F-35 being the Confederates.  By that I mean it requires pre-planning, rational thinking, and high risk to be able to win it.  Whether you go in balls first like the rebels or carefully like Lee usually ordered yous till get served from time to time. 

J-10 are a far cry from fair so long as they can dodge missiles during most sharp turns & corkscrew manuevers.    Even so, I'm an optimist, and I generally prefer to be USMC against J-10s, not because I have something to prove.  But because it forces me to think on my feet and plan while I play.  Rather than simply following the patterns that I've used successfully in the past.  I dislike video games being like zombie TV, minimal thinking and following patterns, we all do it, probably more than we should, but we actively think about what we are doing before we do it, it takes this game out of the genre as a waste of time but aids us in our strategic-active thinking. 

But yeah, AA stills needs some tweaks as 6'oclock missile need the capacity to a moving target which is usually the case when it is essex versus J-10.
The Soup Nazi

PlaneWhore wrote:

washow wrote:

CantStopGaming, Cain's Lair, among other but mostly those two servers. Though my infantry profile is a "secret" (heh heh) you should be able to spot me without too much trouble once an airplane capable map rolls around.
I think I know what it is...  would you like me to let the cat out of the bag? 

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard