blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6637
video

The invitations have been sent through Facebook. The rules are set. Police and medical responders are ready to go.

When a whistle blows Saturday afternoon, University of Wisconsin-Madison students will begin pelting each other with snowballs in a fight they hope will go down in history.

More than 3,700 students at Michigan Technological University in 2006 laid claim to the largest snowball fight, according to the Guinness Book of World Records.

Organizer Mike Basak, a UW-Madison freshman, said Saturday's snow showdown would likely beat that record, though he's decided not to bother with the hassle of submitting it to Guinness.

More than 4,000 people are members of the event's Facebook group, and word continues to spread as rival dormitories get ready to rumble in the center of campus.

''Once the whistle blows, let the chaos ensue!'' Basak said.

The ground rules are simple: No throwing at cars. No throwing at buildings. And don't hit innocent passers-by.

Some suspect poor timing means the Michigan record might not fall.

Temperatures in Madison were forecast to remain in single digits Saturday. Wisconsin's men's basketball team plays at Illinois at the time of the fight. And although snow is everywhere on campus, it's the powdery kind that's hard to pack.

Still, school officials are prepared for the event.

UW-Madison spokesman John Lucas said in a statement that officials would monitor the event, which he noted wasn't university-sanctioned.

''We want students to be able to enjoy winter and have fun, but safety is also an important priority,'' he wrote.

The Dean of Students' office recruited a student group of volunteer emergency medical technicians to be on the scene. One of its organizers, Katie Egan, said members would be ready to treat injuries such as bleeding and hypothermia and call 911 if needed.

Police Sgt. Jason Whitney said officers were getting in touch with the organizers and would be ready Saturday. Patrolling snowball fights was something new for his force, he said.

As for judging a winner, Basak said, that was not the point. ''It's just a bunch of chaos until it all kind of dies down,'' he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2009/01 … .html?_r=1
Kurazoo
Pheasant Plucker
+440|6676|West Yorkshire, U.K
Awesome find!
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6637

Kurazoo wrote:

Awesome find!
thx https://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll221/shal-mal-gal/heart.gif

Last edited by blademaster (2009-01-26 14:04:55)

trex1210
I am Canadian
+72|6250|B.C. Canada
That would be so much fun

It would suck to be the people right in the front of the crowds

Last edited by trex1210 (2009-01-26 18:09:53)

loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6570|Columbus, OH
ahh very nostalgic
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6619|UK
Started off pretty lame but they soon got in to it. Cool.
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6705|Purplicious Wisconsin
Anyone wanna come to Wisconsin now?
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6638
Retards. You need 30 degrees for a snowball fight. Only thing you can throw in single digit weather are iceballs.
tyme414
+29|6633
<3 Wisconsin..although I goto Whitewater not Mad.
War Man

tyme414 wrote:

<3 Wisconsin..although I goto Whitewater not Mad.
I've been to Whitewater at least once, and that was to watch my cousins(whom I haven't seen since I was a tod) play college volleyball and meet my Aunt(whom I also haven't seen since I was a tod).

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

Retards. You need 30 degrees for a snowball fight. Only thing you can throw in single digit weather are iceballs.
Wisconsin is full of retards.

Last edited by War Man (2009-01-27 07:26:39)

JoshP
Banned
+176|5681|Notts, UK

War Man wrote:

Wisconsin is full of retards.
hai
13/f/taiwan
+940|5690

War Man wrote:

Yeah, as long as we get together. <3
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6684
I like the guy from the red team near the beginning that said "Rack em. Racket Ball."

12/f/taiwan wrote:

War Man wrote:

Yeah, as long as we get together. <3
I don't think you could handle it, Jesus.

Last edited by Superior Mind (2009-01-27 07:47:19)

Christbane
+51|6226

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

this^  and silly cheese heads  Minnesota would own you in a snowball fight.
War Man

Christbane wrote:

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

And Wisconsin would own you in a drinking contest
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6684

War Man wrote:

Christbane wrote:

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

You would both win in a race to be Canadian.
War Man

Superior Mind wrote:

War Man wrote:

Christbane wrote:

You would both win in a race to be Canadian.
If I wanted to be Canadian, which I don't. Oh and you would win in a most annoying accent contest.

Now lets please get back on topic, I don't want to rune this thread.
Idlewild
Disrupted Logic
+71|6320|Londawn
I always hated snow-ball fights at school. Either i'd forget gloves or when i did bring 'em they were really bad and i couldn't make a proper snowball; so i did it bare-handed. After 15/20 minutes all i wanted to do was to get the feeling back in to my fingers.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard