Liberal-Sl@yer
Certified BF2S Asshole
+131|6447|The edge of sanity
I have been working on my friend's laptop for the past two days. It is an HP Pavilion DV2000. The situation before was that the CPU would run 60C idle and 76-90C under load. The GPU would run 70C idle and about 90C under load. Well I opened the laptop to examine the heatsink, and applied thermal paste to the GPU and CPU.

The CPU now runs at a much cooler 35C idle. The GPU however still runs at about 70-80C idle. Being that it is a HP laptop the BIOS are locked and I can not underclock the GPU from the BIOS. i tried to use ntune to change the clock settings, but no luck. I also found that there was a BIOS update for the HP dv2000's on HP's website and downloaded that but still no help. Any suggestions?
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6491|so randum
None, but a mate of mine, same laptop, has the same problems.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Liberal-Sl@yer
Certified BF2S Asshole

FatherTed wrote:

None, but a mate of mine, same laptop, has the same problems.
Well I mean I was able to get teh CPU to regular temps, but the GPU refuses to do so.
Stimey
­
+786|6111|Ontario | Canada
clear out the dust?
Check the heat sink pipes. I guess
­
­
­
­
­
­
Liberal-Sl@yer
Certified BF2S Asshole
I did some more testing on it, and when I plug in the power supply the temp goes from it's idle 80C to a fast climbing dangerous temperature. Any correlations?
Benzin
+576|5990
If it is an Nvidia card, then you have one of the bad chip batches. Call HP and see if they are doing any kind of recall.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6188|Winland

CapnNismo wrote:

If it is an Nvidia card, then you have one of the bad chip batches. Call HP and see if they are doing any kind of recall.
No. The bad batch nV cards wouldn't run hotter, they would just break from running hot.

And OP, are you sure you've removed all dust from the fans, reset the heatsink correctly, and made sure the fan(s) work?
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Brasso
+1,549|6622

pretty obvious question - but you're running the laptop on a flat surface, right?  laptops are designed to work on desks and such, with the little rubber pads under the laptop providing room and air for the intake fans to suck in.  they're not actually designed for use on the...lap.  (stupid, i know)
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Benzin
+576|5990
Freezer, everything breaks from running too hot ...

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/02/nvid … -defectiv/

The cards themselves did overheat. If it is doing it from the factory, take it back. You already have one member who confirms that it happens in another model. Granted, that's not enough to be a guaranteed fact, but Nvidia did sell a batch of bad cards ...
Liberal-Sl@yer
Certified BF2S Asshole
CapnNismo: The graphics card is an Nvidia 6100. The GPU was the one thing that ran hotter than all the others in the beginning.  The recall HP is doing on these laptops are only for Wireless card problems and problems with the LCD screen. Anything other than that HAS to be paid for (the laptop is out of warrenty)

FreezerPro: Yes I made sure, and the heat sink is a block that covers both the GPU and the CPU. The fan runs, as stated by SIW and ntune monitor ~30kRPM. Also I set the heatsink correctly.

Haffey: Yes the laptop is on a flat surface and the same temps display.
JoshP
Banned
+176|5680|Notts, UK
30kRMP = 500 revolutions per second

Doesn't sound at all right.
Liberal-Sl@yer
Certified BF2S Asshole

JoshP wrote:

30kRMP = 500 revolutions per second

Doesn't sound at all right.
True. Leave me alone I just woke up. I will check the rates again, but the fan does operate and rotate at normal speeds.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6484|N. Ireland
Did you use rubbing alcohol / Isopropyl after you removed all visible thermal paste?
Liberal-Sl@yer
Certified BF2S Asshole

kylef wrote:

Did you use rubbing alcohol / Isopropyl after you removed all visible thermal paste?
There was no visible thermal paste on either of them. There was a small thermal pad on the GPU but nothing on the CPU.
Benzin
+576|5990
What about trying one of those cooling pads that you can get a notebook???
Liberal-Sl@yer
Certified BF2S Asshole

CapnNismo wrote:

What about trying one of those cooling pads that you can get a notebook???
That's good if it is overall overheating but this is specifically the GPU overheating.
Reddhedd
trolawlawl
+188|6436|EE Chat
I know that its the GPU but this helped my friends computer big time.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications … CatId=3486

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard