steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6352|the land of bourbon
Obama signs order to close Guantanamo in a year

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama began overhauling U.S. treatment of terror suspects Thursday, signing orders to close the Guantanamo Bay detention center, review military war crimes trials and ban the harshest interrogation methods.

With his action, Obama started changing how the United States prosecutes and questions al-Qaida, Taliban or other foreign fighters who pose a threat to Americans — and overhauling America's image abroad, battered by accusations of the use of torture and the indefinite detention of suspects at the Guantanamo prison in Cuba.

"The message that we are sending the world is that the United States intends to prosecute the ongoing struggle against violence and terrorism and we are going to do so vigilantly and we are going to do so effectively and we are going to do so in a manner that is consistent with our values and our ideals," the president said.

The centerpiece order would close the much-maligned Guantanamo facility within a year, a complicated process with many unanswered questions that was nonetheless a key campaign promise of Obama's. The administration already has suspended trials for terrorist suspects at Guantanamo for 120 days pending a review of the military tribunals.

discuss

Last edited by steelie34 (2009-01-22 09:35:12)

https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6499|Global Command
There will just be another location for what they were doing. One not advertised.
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6352|the land of bourbon

ATG wrote:

There will just be another location for what they were doing. One not advertised.
i agree... and i'm sure there always have been/will be other undisclosed locations.  gitmo's downfall was only because of the publicity.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
13rin
+977|6450
I feel safer all ready.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Bradt3hleader
Care [ ] - Don't care [x]
+121|5906
I say torture those fucking terrorists then decapitate them like they do to US troops.

Fuck them, I knew Obaba would screw stuff up...unless he opens a new one and has skull **cking and a$$ raping a commpn interrogation method in some secret camp...
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

ATG wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

It looks like he is closing the CIA "blacksites" today.
http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/ja … ack-sites/
It's a matter of what you choose to believe.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6549|Columbus, OH
Let them go. They will evantually get JDAM'ed sooner or later.

What I do not get is the President wants other countries to grant asylum for some of the prisoners. They have a risk of being tortured if they return to their native land. (yahoo / Asooc. Press article)
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6617
Lame. I liked Gitmo only for the fact that it pissed certain people off.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6526
Does this mean we don't get to view America as evil anymore?
{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6548|Florida

steelie34 wrote:

ATG wrote:

i agree... and i'm sure there always have been/will be other undisclosed locations.  gitmo's downfall was only because of the publicity.
While Im still unhappy with the overall idea of things in that article, you are right.
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6548|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

Lame. I liked Gitmo only for the fact that it pissed certain people off.
Same here! Well the fact that it pissed of some people and the fact that they were asking the REAL question
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6508|Long Island, New York

CameronPoe wrote:

Does this mean we don't get to view America as evil anymore?
I'm sure you'll find a way.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6591|London, England

Bradt3hleader wrote:

I say torture those fucking terrorists then decapitate them like they do to US troops.

Fuck them, I knew Obaba would screw stuff up...unless he opens a new one and has skull **cking and a$$ raping a commpn interrogation method in some secret camp...
One of the main reasons we're fighting them, is because they do shit like that, to then go and suggest we do the same shit, well it puts you firmly in their camp. Go sign up for the Taliban and get those marine bars and slogans out of your sig you waste...
ghettoperson
+1,943|6620

Mekstizzle wrote:

Bradt3hleader wrote:

One of the main reasons we're fighting them, is because they do shit like that, to then go and suggest we do the same shit, well it puts you firmly in their camp. Go sign up for the Taliban and get those marine bars and slogans out of your sig you waste...
He's a genuine Swiss Marine!
rammunition
Fully Loaded
+143|5832

Bradt3hleader wrote:

you got EVIDENCE that the guys in Gito are terrorists???

i though not
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6687

rammunition wrote:

Bradt3hleader wrote:

i though not
do you have evidence they aren't...?    back under your rock...lol
Love is the answer
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

rammunition wrote:

Bradt3hleader wrote:

i though not
Innocent until proven guilty.

Your courts follow that yeh?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6687
Gitmo is closing... all the boyscouts will be set free...lol
Love is the answer
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum

FatherTed wrote:

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

rammunition wrote:

i though not

Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

FatherTed wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

Yes our US civilian courts follow that.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
13rin
+977|6450

FatherTed wrote:

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

rammunition wrote:

i though not

Ain't US Citizens.  Shit, if we followed their law we'd probablly be beheading them with curved knives then posting it on a web video.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum

DBBrinson1 wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

Ain't US Citizens.  Shit, if we followed their law we'd probablly be beheading them with curved knives then posting it on a web video.
Thankfully you try and be better than that
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6736|Cambridge (UK)

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Ain't US Citizens.
Which is where the Geneva Convention kicks in.

And what does that say?

OH, yeah... "Innocent until proven guilty."
13rin
+977|6450

FatherTed wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

And I think we have been.  Again, why should we hold those who want my countrymen exterminated with the same elevated status when they don't even allow their women right equal to theirs?
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum

DBBrinson1 wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

And I think we have been.  Again, why should we hold those who want my countrymen exterminated with the same elevated status when they don't even allow their women right equal to theirs?
Because if you don't, are you any better than the other side?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard