-=|BW|=-Hollow_Moon
+5|6756
I was just going to buy a new AGP video card (A 7800GS), when spontaneously I purchased the following:

AMD X2 4800+
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe PCI-Express Mainboard - ATX
DDR400 Memory - PC3200 (4x1024)
800GB (2x 400GB) Serial ATA Hard Drive with 16MB Buffer
SONY 16x Dual Layer DVD-Re-Writable +R/-R/RW
16x DVD-ROM Drive
512MB nVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX
Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS
19" ViewSonic VX924 TFT Flat Panel Monitor

At around £2250 it wasnt cheap, having two gfx cards would have bought it up to about £2600 which I couldnt afford. But at last a replacement for my S478 P4-3.06Gh on cheap board with Vanilla 6600 256mb

Now all I need to do is sell some internal organs to help pay for it :s
Maj.Do
+85|6753|good old CA
uhh pics?
-=|BW|=-Hollow_Moon
+5|6756
Erm, I only just ordered it. But to have an idea of the sort of stuff www.meshcomputers.com is where I ordered the new system from. It has a shiny new aluminium case with fan controllery doo dats on it too
Maj.Do
+85|6753|good old CA
oh ok, bench the 7900 when u can please.  I might sell my 1900 for one
Mr.Pieeater
+116|6626|Cherry Pie

-=|BW|=-Hollow_Moon wrote:

I was just going to buy a new AGP video card (A 7800GS), when spontaneously I purchased the following:

AMD X2 4800+
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe PCI-Express Mainboard - ATX
DDR400 Memory - PC3200 (4x1024)
800GB (2x 400GB) Serial ATA Hard Drive with 16MB Buffer
SONY 16x Dual Layer DVD-Re-Writable +R/-R/RW
16x DVD-ROM Drive
512MB nVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX
Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS
19" ViewSonic VX924 TFT Flat Panel Monitor

At around £2250 it wasnt cheap, having two gfx cards would have bought it up to about £2600 which I couldnt afford. But at last a replacement for my S478 P4-3.06Gh on cheap board with Vanilla 6600 256mb

Now all I need to do is sell some internal organs to help pay for it :s
Nice Computer man, you got alll of that nice stuff and then you end up with a Viewsonic monitor though!!?  I mean, what gives?  You go to a computer store for the parts, then to a pawn shop for the monitor?  You should have gotten a Sony 32" LCD monitor since you are made of money!  Unless you spent all of your cash on the computer...  In that case, I feel your pain.  I just dropped $2,500 on my system.  Got a 20.1" Samsung LCD, you should get one of those if you can't get a Sony.  Kick ass system dude, I almost believe you!  Maybe 60%...
Maj.Do
+85|6753|good old CA
yea maybe he didnt have the money.  I have that gateway monitor .  like 25 or something
-=|BW|=-Hollow_Moon
+5|6756
No, I like the viewsonic monitors & I dont really see the need for anything larger than 19" at the moment. Plus it has a 3ms respose time & It will fit more comfortably on my desk (& my bank)
ISIK_Dark
+0|6840|Pueblo
Sweet system!
Rofl_My_Waffle
+11|6693
you did some serious overkill on the RAM. 2gigs is good enough for any game + background applications. bf2 only uses 1.3 gig. You can save money on the RAM to put towards another gfx card.

Do you really need 800gigs, you can probibly save money on that too for your gfx card or get 2 raptors instead of all that memory.

But anyway, nice system, im sure it will pwn in bf2 especially when you get 2 gfx cards.

Last edited by Rofl_My_Waffle (2006-03-17 20:34:22)

.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1
+76|6697|Gold Coast,QLD,Australia
you should've gotten 2 x 150gb raptor for ultimate performance
-=|BW|=-Hollow_Moon
+5|6756

Rofl_My_Waffle wrote:

you did some serious overkill on the RAM. 2gigs is good enough for any game + background applications. bf2 only uses 1.3 gig. You can save money on the RAM to put towards another gfx card.

Yes becaue I work on hig definition graphics apps & CG artwork

Do you really need 800gigs, you can probibly save money on that too for your gfx card or get 2 raptors instead of all that memory.

I use hard drive space very quickly, one of my gfx apps takes 35 gig on its own. Raptors are also very expensive & were not an option from the place I purchased the computer.

But anyway, nice system, im sure it will pwn in bf2 especially when you get 2 gfx cards.
The improvement to cost ratio of two graphics cards to one does not make the purchase (even if I could afford an additional £400) worth while. 20% max performance gain in something does not sound too great.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6773|PNW

Contrary to popular gamer opinion, a pair of Raptors in RAID0 doesn't really improve game performance, or speed up map loading by a significant margin. However, if you are going to do lots of transferring and compression, the RAID0 might help by a margin. Still, in some cases, it can negatively impact performance due to the innate overhead of using two drives for a single partition. In my case, I have two 74GB raptors. One is used for the OS and other dev apps, and the other is used for games. A large SATA drive on the side is used for storage.

And 2GB of memory is no longer overkill. Remember, aside from BF2, you're going to usually have other processes running in the background. And as games get more complex (i.e., UT2007), there is going to be more demand for memory dedicated to texture info storage.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-03-18 11:51:05)

-=|BW|=-Hollow_Moon
+5|6756

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Contrary to popular gamer opinion, a pair of Raptors in RAID0 doesn't really improve game performance, or speed up map loading by a significant margin. However, if you are going to do lots of transferring and compression, the RAID0 might help by a margin. Still, in some cases, it can negatively impact performance due to the innate overhead of using two drives for a single partition. In my case, I have two 74GB raptors. One is used for the OS and other dev apps, and the other is used for games. A large SATA drive on the side is used for storage.

And 2GB of memory is no longer overkill. Remember, aside from BF2, you're going to usually have other processes running in the background. And as games get more complex (i.e., UT2007), there is going to be more demand for memory dedicated to texture info storage.
Yuppers & im double glad I didnt sell my legs to get SLi, since apparently it has a problem with X2 processors :s
MuseSeeker
2142 Soldier: Behenaut
+110|6777|EUR
Wow thats beautiful. Treat it like a child.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6647
nice system..... would like to see some pics though
.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1

-=|BW|=-Hollow_Moon wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Yuppers & im double glad I didnt sell my legs to get SLi, since apparently it has a problem with X2 processors :s
well i used to have 2 bfg 7800gt oc in sli with a 4600 at 2.92ghz, no preoblems, now i got a 7900gtx and gonna get another to power my 24" dell
-=|BW|=-Hollow_Moon
+5|6756
You would probably be better off with two 7900Gt's unless you have really good case cooling, two GTX's that close run very hot :s
Maj.Do
+85|6753|good old CA
u only get like 20% increase in performance thought ^  : \. Soon maybe u can get 200FPS in bf2 : )
.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1
i know but i would like to further extend my e-penis and see what 3dmark06 gives me( also they are 512mb 7900gtx's)
Maj.Do
+85|6753|good old CA
lol^
-=|BW|=-Hollow_Moon
+5|6756
lolz, I thougt it might be the e-penis
.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1
im gonna get all the chicks
-=|BW|=-Hollow_Moon
+5|6756
Yup, I can see it now... ACB|_Cutthroat1 - 'Hey girls get a load of my machinery!'
                                                  Girl 1  - 'Wow is that two 7900GTX's running in True X16 PCI-E SLi?'
                                                  Girl 2  - 'Oh, Sli is just so sexy mmmmmmmm.'
                                  ACB|_Cutthroat1 - 'Also has two raptors in raid 0 config.'
                                                  Girl 1  - 'Oh God I can see the liquid cooling, Aieeeeee!'
                                                  Girl 2  - 'Oh ACB|_Cutthroat1 take us now with your mighty e-penis!'
                                  ACB|_Cutthroat1 - 'Booyaah!'

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard