aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5906|Roma

wah1188 wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

too incompetent for EVE
Lol some dude out my clan was absolutely bumming it before release.
So what was so bad about it? I was tempted to buy it a few times.
It was very buggy, they didn't pay much attention to details, the controls were difficult and confusing and they also took bits and pieces from old flashpoint and put them in ArmA. Lazy....
https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
Commie Killer
+192|6540
I got higher hopes for the new Flashpoint. The few gameplay videos Ive seen look better then this...
Bradt3hleader
Care [ ] - Don't care [x]
+121|6089
ArmA is awesome, how can some of you say that it sucks?  It's lots of fun! Well making missions and playing the campaign is, the MP is ok but you want to be at least 3 friends playing it together or it gets boring, and the Bezerk servers are the best because you won't have people just anywhere, and you don't have to walk 300km to see somebody, or walk 500km and get shot from the middle of nowhere from some nolife sitting there waiting for that one guy...
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6621

jord wrote:

"A map the size of 240 square kilometers has been mentioned in a recent interview with a BI representative. ArmA 2 is expected to be released in 2009."
Enemy walking simulator detected.

I mean honestly, there would need to be 1200 players in that server for the map to not feel completely empty. The game would either be  so infinately boring that you die of old age before you get to kill anything, so laggy that it makes you want to ram a metal spike through your face or both.

Last edited by DoctaStrangelove (2009-01-10 10:33:27)

jord
+2,382|6831|The North, beyond the wall.

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

jord wrote:

"A map the size of 240 square kilometers has been mentioned in a recent interview with a BI representative. ArmA 2 is expected to be released in 2009."

I mean honestly, there would need to be 1200 players in that server for the map to not feel completely empty. The game would either be  so infinately boring that you die of old age before you get to kill anything, so laggy that it makes you want to ram a metal spike through your face or both.
I imagine it is spilt down somewhat so the flags are all in a general area as is the action.
-TL-
Srs lurker
+25|6645|Oklahoma City

jord wrote:

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

jord wrote:

I imagine it is spilt down somewhat so the flags are all in a general area as is the action.
Yeah, usually it's either heavily vehicle combat so you would use the whole map, or the map for that particular round has "red zones" added in like bf2 so that you're confined to a smaller area. (at least in my experience from OFP, and I assume mission designers for ArmA would still use that formula)

Last edited by -TL- (2009-01-10 13:59:12)

TopHat01
Limitless
+117|6057|CA
This looks kick-ass, sort of looks like a war version of Far Cry 2, but hopefully the AI won't have laser vision and insane hearing to spot you 100 yards off in bushes, and unload into with an AK-47, like Far Cry 2 did.   The first person view looks very realistic, hopefully it should capture that "embody the player into the soldier" feeling, where the camera sometimes whirls around, looks down, etc. but not so much as to make you motion sick.

We'll see...
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5941|Catherine Black
WHAT THE FUCK DOES ARMA STAND FOR.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Wallpaper
+303|6147|The pool
Armed Assault

I think

Last edited by Wallpaper (2009-01-11 17:17:18)

Machine_Madness
Madness has now come over me
+20|6589|Brisbane, Australia

Wallpaper wrote:

Armed Assault

I think
Correctemundo
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6376|Escea

ArmA II has a new engine I believe. ArmA was built on the original Flashpoint engine so that was why the controls weren't that smooth. I'll still get it along with Flashpoint II, for the PS3 though because my comp might actually melt otherwise if I trie to run them.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6914

better have a demo or they can fuck right off
Rohirm
Fear is a Leash
+85|6324|New Austin, Not
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6690|Long Island, New York

Rohirm wrote:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/44914.html

new "trailer"
I was more interested in the scrolling headlines than the video tbh.
-TL-
Srs lurker
+25|6645|Oklahoma City

Poseidon wrote:

Rohirm wrote:

new "trailer"
Seemed to me they were mostly trying to show off the sound.  I think it did need a little more action, but I thought the A-10 flyby sounded .
rdx-fx
+955|6744
Operation Flashpoint was a very interesting game, for it's time.

The large maps, the different weapon systems, the distances involved - all made for a more 'realistic' experience.

Artillery took time to arrive on target.
Assault Rifles worked well out to 300m, or 600m if you were skilled.
Sniper rifles worked out to 1000m+
Close Air Support took time to get on-station, and talent to guide onto target.

The problems with OFP that were even worse in ArmA;
- Buggy as hell spaghetti-code programming

- Brain-dead AI ("One, where are you? One, where are you?.."  right f'ing next to you, STFU!!)

- or The Matrix super-Agent AI, can see in the dark, can shoot you in the dark at 600m with a pistol, and psychically tells every enemy in game where you are.

Never had any performance issues due to the size of the environment.
Never had any issues with having to walk too far to get to the action, as I was usually the Helicopter Taxi pilot.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6621

Poseidon wrote:

Rohirm wrote:

new "trailer"
It actually made me want to play the game less.

Which says allot considering I would only play it if I was paid to. And I wouldn't do it cheap either.
-TL-
Srs lurker
+25|6645|Oklahoma City

rdx-fx wrote:

The problems with OFP
If they actually improve that stuff, and smooth out the infantry movement so that CQB is enjoyable, Arma II could be my game of the year.  If they don't, I probably won't get it.

To be honest, I had no problem with the times Flashpoint was a "walking simulator", for me the positives of a game being open-world can make up for long travel times (if a game does it right).

Last edited by -TL- (2009-01-29 20:45:26)

Machine_Madness
Madness has now come over me
+20|6589|Brisbane, Australia

-TL- wrote:

thought the A-10 flyby sounded .
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5637|Bolingbrook, Illinois
You guys that are hating on ArmA have no reason to hate.  If you don't like realistic simulators, then don't play/bias your views on them.  For the people saying the ArmA campaign was good, it was terrible.  The multiplayer is the best part about it, as long as you have a decent server.  I play on TacticalGamer, and it's great.

For those wondering about the point of such a big map, there's only one map with a single or up to 5 objectives.  It's not like everyone spawns in random spots and walks around to try to find each other.  You have platoon sized games, larger then 32 on 32 in BF2.  Imagine a 46 strength platoon, divided into 3 squads and 3 fireteams per squad, marching down a field supporting each other.  Combine the detail and the sheer amount of everything, and realize that you're depending on every single person in your platoon.

I'm terrible at writing this kind of stuff, so you need to try it out for yourselves.  Do not use the demo to look at how the game will play out.  The demo = complete fail.  It was not optimized or bug fixed at all.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6924|PNW

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

ArmA is the reason why most games aren't realistic.
I don't think that was the real issue. I'm sure people would've looked past the steep learning curve if the control wasn't so awkward. I felt like I was controlling ant worming its way through a Jello mold.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6376|Escea

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

ArmA is the reason why most games aren't realistic.
I don't think that was the real issue. I'm sure people would've looked past the steep learning curve if the control wasn't so awkward. I felt like I was controlling ant worming its way through a Jello mold.
It was pretty evident in ArmA that some of the best elements of OFP had gone with Codemasters after Bohemia split from them. ArmA just never seemed to have much of a direction, namely its story which wasn't up to much. Little things as well that had sort of been cannibalised from OFP and put in ArmA always made it seem like it was done for quickness and I have to say that having played ArmA and OFP again just recently, OFP had better gameplay at times and was much easier to play. The AI also seemed a bit more intelligent in OFP as well and OFP also seemed more tactical.

ArmA was a good game in its own right, but just always seemed very rushed and unfinished. I'm hoping that ArmA II isn't just a reuse of the older mechanics with new GFX and additions, and doesn't have clunky gameplay. One thing that did sort of worry me from the vids was that the movements, death animations and first person view looked identical to ArmA, unlike OFP2 which has an overhauled first person view.
Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6496
I jsut hope the controls are intuitive. Back in the day, I was down to learn OFP´s controls-chaos, but nowadays, something as clumsy and unhandy is just cold coffee.
Voicecommands like in Endwar or hawx would rock the fucking shit!!
Never played arma though, cause it´s not running under Vistax64. The patch fixing that issue ist still beta, so here´s hoping it ever comes out

Last edited by Sisco10 (2009-05-10 01:33:05)

https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5906|Roma
Will my 8-core make the game run smooth?
https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,054|6775|Little Bentcock

Sisco10 wrote:

I jsut hope the controls are intuitive. Back in the day, I was down to learn OFP´s controls-chaos, but nowadays, something as clumsy and unhandy is just cold coffee.
Voicecommands like in Endwar or hawx would rock the fucking shit!!
Never played arma though, cause it´s not running under Vistax64. The patch fixing that issue ist still beta, so here´s hoping it ever comes out
I play ArmA on vistax64

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard