Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6149|'straya
Ask to test drive and have it inspected. and if she seems reluctant say you will pay an extra $100-$200 for that to happen. its still a good deal and if shes legit she will agree to it
OmniDeath
~
+726|6644

I actually have a 2000 Toyota Celica. Here in the States the car she is selling is worth $8,455 (twice what she is asking) according to kbb.com, assuming it's in excellent condition. I find it hard to believe they would take half the value when they could very easily get more.

The only way I see this being legit is if they've come to realize the flaw with 00-02 model Celicas and just want to get rid of the car instead of fixing it. Those models have a factory defect that causes the engine to leak oil at an alarmingly fast rate. To fix it you need to rebuild the shortblock with newer parts or replace it completely with one from one of the newer models. Either way it can be expensive. I know some parts of Europe have done a recall on the issue but it hasn't happened in the States yet. If you do plan on buying a Celica from those few years look into that issue and make sure it has already been fixed before you buy one, or plan on spending the money to get it done!

Other than that issue, my Celica has been great and if the deal turns out to be legit, I'd say go for it!
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6847|"Frisco"

I would never, EVER buy a car without seeing it, driving it, and having a mechanic of my own choosing look it over. Neither should you -- that's a basic used car purchasing rule.

This could be real, but you had best get some ducks in a row. Lots of good suggestions all above, etc. The number one being don't give them any cash until you are 100% sure this is legit.

Also, for a decent car like that at the price they're saying, I'd have a really, really hard time believing they couldn't off load it locally twice as fast as selling it across an ocean. Based on that alone the scam factor goes up a few notches.
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6511|Gold Coast
Chuy broooo!
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
Vub
The Power of Two
+188|6494|Sydney, Australia

chuyskywalker wrote:

I would never, EVER buy a car without seeing it, driving it, and having a mechanic of my own choosing look it over. Neither should you -- that's a basic used car purchasing rule.

This could be real, but you had best get some ducks in a row. Lots of good suggestions all above, etc. The number one being don't give them any cash until you are 100% sure this is legit.

Also, for a decent car like that at the price they're saying, I'd have a really, really hard time believing they couldn't off load it locally twice as fast as selling it across an ocean. Based on that alone the scam factor goes up a few notches.
I think the car is actually in Sydney, because she just moved overseas. (If you believe the email)

p.s. thanks OmniDeath, I'll def check into that. I'd karma you if I could, but I'm out.
OmniDeath
~
+726|6644

chuyskywalker wrote:

The ad says it's in Sydney and if she is having "financial trouble" I can't imagine she intends to pay shipping across the globe. Assuming again of course that this is legit. I guess if it's a scam they'll say anything.
trippy982
+34|6398
Like they say on craigslist.  Offers to ship cars are always 100% fraudulent.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sss/
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6681|Disaster Free Zone
I know a guy who bought an tunned R34 (470KW) for 30k because the owner was going overseas. These things do happen when people just want to offload their cars asap.

Just make sure you get to see and test the car before buying.

Last edited by DrunkFace (2009-01-11 08:42:29)

Nessie09
I "fix" things
+107|6670|The Netherlands
Don't believe it.
Not too long ago I saw a tv program about this "I moved to england and need to sell my car and will cover shipping" scam.

For people that know Dutch: linky
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6519|Πάϊ
If you're gonna buy a car, what you do is you go over there and check it out yourself. Then take it to a mechanic, check the engine and bodywork. If the latter says it's ok, you buy. This way there's no chance you might get scammed.
ƒ³
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5788|Catherine Black
I can only echo other people, don't pay a penny until you get in the car and drive it.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Vub
The Power of Two
Thank you all for your replies, I have updated the situation (which you can find in the edited original posting). Basically she has replied to my message complying only with one instruction, and that is to send more photographs. I've asked her one more time the two questions which I'd like the answers to: location of the car and VIN. If this time she gives me another email telling me about the features of the car, then I may as well report it as a scam.

Also, in the pictures she sent the number plates show: NI07 ALA or N107 ALA

I know that isn't a NSW number plate, does anyone know which country that plate is from?

Last edited by Vub (2009-01-11 14:22:22)

SgtHeihn
Should have ducked
+394|6487|Ham Lake, MN (Fucking Cold)
OK, if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.

People try running scams like this on Craigs List all the time.
Peter
Super Awesome Member
+494|6402|dm_maidenhead

Vub wrote:

Thank you all for your replies, I have updated the situation (which you can find in the edited original posting). Basically she has replied to my message complying only with one instruction, and that is to send more photographs. I've asked her one more time the two questions which I'd like the answers to: location of the car and VIN. If this time she gives me another email telling me about the features of the car, then I may as well report it as a scam.

I know that isn't a NSW number plate, does anyone know which country that plate is from?
Sounds like a UK number plate.
A pic would help if you could post.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6500|so randum

Peter wrote:

Vub wrote:

Sounds like a UK number plate.
A pic would help if you could post.
ooo theres a number you can text uk plates to and it brings up the history! ill look around for the number and text it!
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6500|so randum
CTC (http://www.cartextcheck.co.uk/) says "No DVLA or Police record found"
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6742|London

Tell her you have a relative in London that wants to look at the car, and I'll go round there and knock her block off.
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
Vub
The Power of Two
Pic of car and number plate

Last edited by Vub (2009-01-11 18:51:45)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6153|what

Assuming she has left the car with a friend\relative go inspect it and offer to pay that friend\relative in person. But don't go by yourself if your planning on having $4,200 on you. After seeing the car, go into a bank with them and get the money if you'd like (there's prob an easier way you could come up with though).
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6716
Tell her you are a Police detective and you are very busy at work.... and you would like to have a friend who lives by her check out the car... If the emails from her stop... it's a scam...lol
Love is the answer
Bull3t
stephen brule
+83|6302
Don't do it.

Deal locally.
OmniDeath
~
+726|6644

Scam Lady wrote:

My husband is employed at Lufthansa Corporation and he has a special status and facility regarding cargo transportation. I will even pay for the shipping back to my location if you reject the car.
With this facility that my husband has , I agree to cover all the shipping costs.That is the reason that I chose to sell it worldwide.I will ship via Lufthansa air cargo and once it arrives to your closest airport it will be trailed to your house.
Bullshit. Don't do it.
Vub
The Power of Two

OmniDeath wrote:

Scam Lady wrote:

My husband is employed at Lufthansa Corporation and he has a special status and facility regarding cargo transportation. I will even pay for the shipping back to my location if you reject the car.
With this facility that my husband has , I agree to cover all the shipping costs.That is the reason that I chose to sell it worldwide.I will ship via Lufthansa air cargo and once it arrives to your closest airport it will be trailed to your house.
Bullshit. Don't do it.
Yeah this did sound very dodgy. I'll give her one more chance, see if I can catch her red-handed. And how can a car be registered in Sydney but be over there in London.

Last edited by Vub (2009-01-11 19:49:09)

Obiwan
Go Cards !!
+196|6694|The Ville

CrazeD wrote:

How does she want the payment?
make her ship you the car before you buy it
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6780|Great Brown North
yeah im going to go with bullshit as well

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard