Poll

Should snipers get points for spotting enemies?

Yes31%31% - 39
No65%65% - 81
Unsure3%3% - 4
Total: 124
mporlier
+42|6663|Montreal, Canada
How can you say other snipers dont spot?
DTAC
+9|6763
How about once a target is spotted it can't be spotted again.
Torin
+52|6715
Fuck. No.
Terrible_chester
PKM Whore
+16|6658|Prolly on wake.
I figure why the hell not, I get points for out-sniping them with my PKM, they gotta be able to score somehow. 
[zulu]steviep831
+6|6656|Florida
I like this idea a lot. I'm don't spend too much time as sniper but last night I was playing as sniper and did my best to spot enemy armour, chopper and snipers since I was in a position to see better than most. If someone else spots things out then most likely I will look to see where they are to make sure no one's coming up my six or to help take out an advancing force. I appreciate it when teammates do it and I think there should be some teamwork points in there. How many times have you gone to cap a flag and shot at an enemy first before spotting. Then die and wish you would have spotted them to let your squad know so that they don't walk into a trap?
^*AlphA*^
F*ckers
+3,135|6761|The Hague, Netherlands

i dont, man i can see in the future and 100% sure that we would have spotting whores then. all time this spotted that spotted ENEMY boat spotted 10000000000 times more. NOT a good idea !
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36eac2cb6af70a43508fd8d1c93d3201f4e23435.png
ICE
+1|6699|Bremen, Indiana

washow wrote:

not for infantry, but for vehicles FO SHO

freaking nobody ever spots enemy jets and i always have to spot them myself and kill them

quite annoying
Well ive gotten in the habbit of spotting other jets when I have the chance, to help out my teamates.  It takes no time at all to q and spot weither its a jet or armor on the infantry on the ground.  It lets your team know whats going on around them.  I think snipers should get team work points for spotting enemy if that enemy gets killed after being spotted, or maybe half a point like one posted.  I do agree that the guys screaming ememy spoted is annoying, maybe ea needs to tone down the speech volumn some.

Keep in mind I rarely play sniper.  For me its boring even with the added team points added for spotting... Yes you might get a few more noobs sniping at you but really its probably better they arn't running around on the ground running infront of your fire or throwing tons of ammo, and health packs in your face...  I dont' think its going to hurt the game that much...

Last edited by ICE (2006-03-16 08:46:55)

Kung Jew
That one mod
+331|6768|Houston, TX
Nay I say.

You would form a new class of stat-spotting-padding-sniper-whores.  Then it's just spotting spam coming across the line all day long. 

KJ
Nyte
Legendary BF2S Veteran
+535|6775|Toronto, ON
Why spot?  I can kill faster than I spot.

I guess it might be useful for the new people on the block though.
Alpha as fuck.
beerface702
+65|6716|las vegas
it would be sweet

but get annoying quick.

"NEEMY ARMOUR SPOTTED" repeat 75 times
VspyVspy
Sniper
+183|6695|A sunburnt country
I think it is a good idea.  I've always thought that if you spot a target (I, like you, do it automatically now) and someone else makes the kill you should get 1 point.
NoS
karma padder
+13|6649|UK
"enemy spotter spotted"
Not Entirely Sane
+6|6683|Just Outside Seattle
Snipers should get points for spotting but only for vehicles and they should only be able to collect the point once for each vehicle they spot, to stop them from spamming.
Schw3nk3r
+3|6652|Candy Land
If they did there would be constant spamming, it would get every annoying EVEN if there was a limit per minute or so.
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6723

Not Entirely Sane wrote:

Snipers should get points for spotting but only for vehicles and they should only be able to collect the point once for each vehicle they spot, to stop them from spamming.
There would still be spamming, as every sniper on your team would be spotting the same vehicles. Imagine getting base camped by a few tanks, an apc, a few cars and maybe an aircraft or two, and your snipers are spotting them all every time they spawn in.
vassili_zaitsev
+1|6650
To those worrying about spammage, I'm sure a modified 'shut up' system like the one used currently where you are blocked for 30 seconds should work...

Perhaps limit you to 1 spot every 5 seconds or so. Make it cumulative so every 30 seconds you get a maximum of 6 spots, so that it's possible to spot a group of troops quickly without getting penalised for 'over spotting'.

Last edited by vassili_zaitsev (2006-03-16 19:14:13)

Maj.Do
+85|6775|good old CA
ok i dont like that idea.  What if theres a tank, humvee, apc and a mec fella
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6723
The current system is just fine. Ive never been blocked for spotting, and getting blocked for spotting would be greatly annoying. The only change i would suggest is not playing the "enemy spotted" sound for players that are outside the minimap range. As in, you wouldn't hear when someone spotted a tank on the other side of the map, because its out of range on your minimap. That would help with the spot spamming, especially in large games.
vassili_zaitsev
+1|6650

Skruples wrote:

The current system is just fine. Ive never been blocked for spotting, and getting blocked for spotting would be greatly annoying. The only change i would suggest is not playing the "enemy spotted" sound for players that are outside the minimap range. As in, you wouldn't hear when someone spotted a tank on the other side of the map, because its out of range on your minimap. That would help with the spot spamming, especially in large games.
Great idea, big thumps up.
nordicfireman
+7|6695
this is overall a good idea that possibly has a few flaws. the flaws would be easily worked out by a smart team of competent programmers who know how to test ideas thoroughly, and this would add another layer of depth and teamwork to the game if done correctly.

anyone who says otherwise is either getting hung up on small details that would be worked out, or didn't read the original post all the way...honestly, do you really think there would be sniper stat padders spotting for 1/10 of a single point? of course not.

so you say they could just spam-spot? what about the idea i just read where there's a maximum of 6 spots every 30 seconds? combined with the idea of not playing the sound clip for people outside a certain distance radius? problem solved. things like that could EASILY fix every minor problem with this idea.

sometimes ideas are flawed in principle and can never be changed enough to work. this is not one of those ideas. with a little thought, it would be perfect.

edit: sorry, i had 6 spots a minute when the actual suggestion was every 30 seconds. the point is that simple adjustments like that can be applied to fix minor problems with the basic idea.

Last edited by nordicfireman (2006-03-16 22:10:31)

Maj.Do
+85|6775|good old CA
only 6 spots a min. i dont like.
vassili_zaitsev
+1|6650

Maj.Do wrote:

only 6 spots a min. i dont like.
I actually suggested 6 every 30 seconds, it was just a suggestion to try to prevent 'over spotting'.
Maj.Do
+85|6775|good old CA
hmm it works, put im a spotting whore, because on kark stupid americans dont protect the hotel and yea there always attacking so im spotting away hoping some guy will spawn and help me

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard