Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6764|132 and Bush

^^ Worthy comment.

Bertster7 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

So what?

Of course Hamas will reject any ceasefire terms. If they continue to reject calls for ceasefires until Israel eventually withdraw, they will claim victory and boost their popularity immensely. This action by Israel is improving the popular standing of Hamas.

War crimes have nothing to do with ceasefires. The UN is demanding investigation of alleged Israeli war crimes - specifically, the incident I have mentioned about the IDF rounding up civilians (mostly women and children) into a single house and then repeatedly shelling that house. As horrific as many of the things Hamas does are, I don't think they've ever done anything quite as despicable as that and I hope those responsible do face charges for war crimes.
What the fuck do you mean so what? I was just updating the thread. Chill the hell out.
I mean "so what?". Nothing to chill out about - and I can assure you, I'm very chilled out.

I just don't consider it worthy of comment, since it's so blindingly obvious. Israels stated immediate goals for this attack directly clash with those of Hamas. The conflict will continue until Israel give up and withdraw. There will be no progress and certainly no ceasefire recognised by both sides.
It was recent news. Not a personal comment.

"Worthy" gtfo.

Hamas has said it won’t accept any agreement that does not include the full opening Gaza’s blockaded border crossings.
I wonder if that includes Egypt opening it's blockade? The US abstained because they wanted "Mubarak's initiative to mature". Whatever that means.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6692|Global Command
Just saying, demographically speaking Israel is getting outbred.

I am ok with them relocating.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6744|SE London

Kmarion wrote:

Hamas has said it won’t accept any agreement that does not include the full opening Gaza’s blockaded border crossings.
I wonder if that includes Egypt opening it's blockade? The US abstained because they wanted "Mubarak's initiative to mature". Whatever that means.
The US abstained for very simple reasons; they back Israel almost unquestioningly and in different circumstances would've vetoed this resolution in an instant, they also have to consider their key allies in Europe and the Middle East (who are united in their condemnation of Israel).

They abstained because it was the only realistic available option.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6764|132 and Bush

ATG wrote:

I am ok with them relocating.
Where's the Bielski brothers? We could always send them to live in the Russians forest.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6764|132 and Bush

Bertster7 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

The US abstained for very simple reasons; they back Israel almost unquestioningly and in different circumstances would've vetoed this resolution in an instant, they also have to consider their key allies in Europe and the Middle East (who are united in their condemnation of Israel).

The EU has condemned Hamas also? I think?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6744|SE London

Kmarion wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

The EU has condemned Hamas also?
Not to the same extent as Israel at all. Israel is the party being held accountable throughout the world outside the US.
There have been no calls for Hamas to do anything, other than accept a ceasefire, from the EU.

When it comes to support for Israel the US is pretty much alone at the moment. Hence the abstention from the security council vote.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6764|132 and Bush

Didn't they brand them as terrorist.. right after they executed their opposition?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6744|SE London

Kmarion wrote:

Didn't they brand them as terrorist.. right after they executed their opposition?
Pretty close. I believe they stopped short of actually branding them as terrorists (as the current lists stand - I know they've been on EU terrorist lists many times before, currently I think they're on a sort of 'almost terrorist' list (could be wrong there - these lists change too damn often and Hamas jump on and off them more than I can keep track of)).

Currently, Israels actions are the ones being condemned though. When you look at what they been upto, it's not hard to see why.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2009-01-09 13:11:10)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6764|132 and Bush

Bertster7 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Pretty close. I believe they stopped short of actually branding them as terrorists.

Currently, Israels actions are the ones being condemned though. When you look at what they been upto, it's not hard to see why.
Our incoming President has also hinted at having talks with Hamas.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6744|SE London

Kmarion wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Pretty close. I believe they stopped short of actually branding them as terrorists.

Our incoming President has also hinted at having talks with Hamas.
Good sign.

For there to be peace in the region the two sides need to be treated as equals. This cannot happen with the sort of unquestioning support Israel have enjoyed from the current US administration.

(It's this sort of stuff I think Obama will excel at - repairing the battered international reputation of the US. Diplomacy looks like a strong point of the incoming administration - fortunate, because it's one of the very few points I actually care about)

Last edited by Bertster7 (2009-01-09 13:21:00)

kylef
Gone
+1,352|6656|N. Ireland

Bertster7 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Pretty close. I believe they stopped short of actually branding them as terrorists (as the current lists stand - I know they've been on EU terrorist lists many times before, currently I think they're on a sort of 'almost terrorist' list (could be wrong there - these lists change too damn often and Hamas jump on and off them more than I can keep track of)).
I read that it was in political terms not a definite-terrorist-organization but in "country judgement" if you understand what I mean they are considered terrorists.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6744|SE London

kylef wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

I read that it was in political terms not a definite-terrorist-organization but in "country judgement" if you understand what I mean they are considered terrorists.
You could well be right. It does change all the time though. I know their politcal branch has been classed as a terrorist organisation by the EU before, I also recall them being removed from that list. But I can't keep track of it all, as I said earlier.

Yet who is all the political condemnation focused at across the EU (and the world in general)? That's a pretty simple one.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6764|132 and Bush

European Union diplomats have been finalising details of their decision to put the political wing of the Palestinian militant group Hamas on its list of terrorist organisations.
That was back in 03.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3100518.stm

Brussels - The Palestinian Islamist movement Hamas, the Lebanon' Hezbollah movement and Iranian People's Mujaheddin remain on the European Union list of terrorist organizations published Friday.
http://www.monstersandcritics.com/news/ … ist_groups
'07

I've done some searching and I can't find where they changed their Hamas position after that one.

I did find where the Brits were battling to put the People's Mujahideen Organisation of Iran back on the Terror watch list .
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7387531.stm
Xbone Stormsurgezz
c14u53w172
+31|6161|tomania

Bertster7 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

"The political wing of Hamas, the militant Palestinian group, has been on the EU's so-called terror list since 2003. Hamas' military wing, the Ezzedin al-Qassam Brigades - responsible for the rocket attacks on Israeli territory - was blacklisted in 2002."

source: http://euobserver.com/24/27347
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6574|'Murka

Ottomania wrote:

You act like investigating a top secret report. I wonder why you doubt so much to understand this evidence. Maybe you conditioned yourself to much to believe that Israel would never ever kill civilians intentionally.
Or perhaps you've conditioned yourself too much to believe that Israel doesn't kill civilians intentionally.

But Hamas does.

But that's OK, because they're just Jews.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6744|SE London

FEOS wrote:

Ottomania wrote:

You act like investigating a top secret report. I wonder why you doubt so much to understand this evidence. Maybe you conditioned yourself to much to believe that Israel would never ever kill civilians intentionally.
Or perhaps you've conditioned yourself too much to believe that Israel doesn't kill civilians intentionally.
Huh?

Or what? Is that supposed to say does?

Have you read the posts? Fancy addressing anything there? Perhaps you have an answer for the parts where you repeatedly claim only one artillery shell was fired yet the article repeatedly says shells?

Do you have a solid explanation for the deaths of the (predominantly women and children) civilians that the IDF rounded up, forced into a house and then slaughtered? Why are the UN calling it a probable war crime if it's so nice and friendly and unintentional?

But it's ok. They're just Arabs.

c14u53w172 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

"The political wing of Hamas, the militant Palestinian group, has been on the EU's so-called terror list since 2003. Hamas' military wing, the Ezzedin al-Qassam Brigades - responsible for the rocket attacks on Israeli territory - was blacklisted in 2002."

source: http://euobserver.com/24/27347
Which differs from the UK terrorist list.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2009-01-09 20:44:09)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6764|132 and Bush

Hamas Izz al-Din al-Qassem Brigades:

Hamas aims to end Israeli occupation in Palestine and establish an Islamic state.
Is that different? Isn't it assumed that they are fighting the "militant wing" of Hamas?

This is all very confusing..lol. It sounds like nobody wanted to fuck up their $$ supply .."the political wing" of Hamas.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,813|6269|eXtreme to the maX
Up to 110 members of the extended Samouni clan were put into one building without water, heating or food.

At dawn on Monday it was shelled repeatedly by Israeli forces. Survivors described seeing bodies with brains oozing out.

Surviving members of the Samouni family described how the Israeli soldiers went from house to house detaining younger men and then crowding a large number, mostly women and children, into a single building.

Meysa Samouni, 19, said up to 110 members of the Samouni family were forced inside without running water or food.

She said: "When the missile stuck, I lay down with my daughter under me. Everything filled up with smoke and dust, and I heard screams and crying.

"After the smoke and dust cleared a bit, I looked around and saw twenty to thirty people who were dead, and about twenty who were wounded.

She said the survivors and walking wounded eventually emerged and found some Israeli soldiers who took two of the male survivors and let the rest pass.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne … -gaza.html

That would be a war crime.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6784|London, England

FEOS wrote:

Ottomania wrote:

But Hamas does.

But that's OK, because they're just Jews.
I think both of you in this case are as stupid as each other tbh. Whilst I do think that Israel doesn't intentionally go after civilians, surely this isn't the whole picture cos some of the things they do, it's dodgy. But at least we do know for sure that Hamas actually do intentionally target civilians, and hide behind them, and all sorts of other shit. So that's one side confirmed. But to blindly think that Israel is some sort of Angel state, no wait "Gods country" (metaphorically.......but probably also literally for some of you) is equally stupid

So basically, unlike you two, I ain't getting caught up in the propaganda that each side is spewing out.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,813|6269|eXtreme to the maX
Both sides target civilians, its pretty clear really.
The difference is the IDF falsely claim the moral high ground.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6744|SE London

Dilbert_X wrote:

Both sides target civilians, its pretty clear really.
The difference is the IDF falsely claim the moral high ground.
Whereas what they should be doing is taking the moral high ground.
Ottomania
Troll has returned.
+62|6684|Istanbul-Turkey
I hate Hamas, and I am sure nobody here supports them, but you should stop trying to cover Israeli war crimes with "But Hamas" excuses.

If Israel's real task was to finish Hamas, they would already have done.  Do you give a chance to a terrorist organisation hiding in a city can be ended by air strikes?

Israel using Hamas as international cover while clearing the area from Arabs, to expand it's borders.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6879

Ottomania wrote:

I hate Hamas, and I am sure nobody here supports them, but you should stop trying to cover Israeli war crimes with "But Hamas" excuses.

If Israel's real task was to finish Hamas, they would already have done.  Do you give a chance to a terrorist organisation hiding in a city can be ended by air strikes?

Israel using Hamas as international cover while clearing the area from Arabs, to expand it's borders.
Yes. The evil Jews want to take over the world, one little step at a time.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6924

Bertster7 wrote:

Whereas what they should be doing is taking the moral high ground.
ya thats effective.  good way to fight a war.  lol
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6574|'Murka

Bertster7 wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Ottomania wrote:

Or perhaps you've conditioned yourself too much to believe that Israel doesn't does kill civilians intentionally.
Huh?

Or what? Is that supposed to say does?
Huh? Oh...nevermind. Fixed.

Bertster7 wrote:

Have you read the posts? Fancy addressing anything there? Perhaps you have an answer for the parts where you repeatedly claim only one artillery shell was fired yet the article repeatedly says shells?
I have read the posts and the articles. They vary between one explosion and several. The facts are not at all clear and, unfortunately, the "reporters" involved (particularly from the Guardian) have chosen to inject their emotion into the story instead of reporting what is known and what is not known.

It says very clearly in the Guardian article that it appeared the shells fell short when targeting an area used by Hamas to launch rockets. That is not uncommon with artillery...it happens and that is far more plausible than "the IDF decided to kill a bunch of civilians on the beach".

Bertster7 wrote:

Do you have a solid explanation for the deaths of the (predominantly women and children) civilians that the IDF rounded up, forced into a house and then slaughtered? Why are the UN calling it a probable war crime if it's so nice and friendly and unintentional?
Where was that in the story Ottomania linked?

Oh, it's not? It's in whatever Dilbert linked to well after the post you're responding to? Hmmm...gee...I wonder why that wasn't included in my response. Damn lack of precognizance.

As to that particular incident...it sounds pretty sketchy. I'll have to read more about it and then reply...you know, instead of replying to something that wasn't even posted yet.

Bertster7 wrote:

But it's ok. They're just Arabs.
Nobody said it was OK or that Israel was justified if they intentionally target civilians. But it's OK when Hamas does it.

Nobody can prove a single instance where IDF policy (vice individuals who are then investigated and convicted) says it's OK to target civilians. Not a single one. But Hamas' stated policy is that civilians are legitimate targets. And none of you...NOT A SINGLE ONE OF YOU HAMAS APOLOGISTS...have a problem with that. Only when Israel kills civilians collaterally when attacking Hamas militant targets...which Hamas knowingly (and in violation of the GC and other international laws/agreements) puts right in the middle of civilian areas. Your double-standards are ridiculous and increasingly obvious. You don't scream for Hamas to be tried for war crimes...you never even use the term when referring to them. But they are doing things--intentionally and publicly stated--that are clear war crimes. Yet not a word from any of you or the UN about it.

That incident in Dilbert's post should be investigated. If it's found to be intentional, those responsible should be held accountable. How many of you Hamas apologists are willing to say the same thing for the group that intentionally targets civilians and embeds its military in civilian areas...both of which violate the GC and international laws of armed conflict, making Hamas' stated policies (and subsequent actions in line with those policies) war crimes?

I'm guessing none. I won't even speculate as to why there is this remarkable double standard. There's an easy answer, but I hope to God that's not it.

Ottomania wrote:

It's been said repeatedly that Israel could very easily resolve the Hamas problem. But that would require Israel to attack without regard to civilian casualties in Gaza (since Hamas embeds themselves in the civilian areas). Israel isn't willing to do that. And how much would you scream about Israel taking that approach if you're already screaming about civilian casualties now...when Israel is showing extreme restraint in their targeting (by and large)?

Think about that for a second or two.

Don't confuse my lack of support for Hamas with a lack of support for the Palestinian people. Likewise, don't confuse my support of Israel with a lack of support for the Palestinian people. Israel is not attacking the Palestinian people...they are attacking Hamas. Hamas just puts the Palestinian people in between in the hopes they can use the public outcry in their favor. It's truly despicable. No different than when Saddam put human shields at his key installations back in the day. People decried that immediately...nobody says shit about Hamas doing it as a matter of policy.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard