TSI
Cholera in the time of love
+247|6001|Toronto
And about insurance:

I have two cars which I drive. The Audi costs me $340/year, and my '00 Jetta costs me $3000/year. I think that you should get a German, pre-1995. They were reliable then, and the parts are everywhere in junkyards. Moreover, they won't rape you on fuel, especially the Merc diesels.
I like pie.
B00MH3ADSH0T
Fresh NoobCaeks Here
+118|6411|Penrith,Nsw, Aus
lol all those cars look ugly..
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6786|Cambridge (UK)
Get a bike.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6513|N. Ireland
A clio would do nicely.
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6386|California

TSI wrote:

argo4 wrote:

get a 1990's mercedes or bmw and ride in style
I drive a 1993 Audi CS90 Quattro. Silver. Is that also stylish?
I has 96' & 08' Mercedes
I want a Audi R8 though
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6344|Graz, Austria
I bought a Citroën Xantia DHX 1996 for €800.- yesterday.
And I only pay €60.-/month for insurance including driver insurance and legal costs insurance.

The thing guzzles over 10 liters Diesel per 100km though.
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6510|Gogledd Cymru

Rosse_modest wrote:

The Sheriff wrote:

Mint Sauce wrote:

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/HONDA+CIVIC/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-12-240-4294966988-4294967196/advert.action?R=200901326259326&distance=32&postcode=BB23JN&channel=CARS&make=HONDA&model=CIVIC&min_pr=&max_pr=1000&max_mileage=&vehicleYearOfManufacture=1990&vehicleRegLetter=H
Don't buy that, 161K miles, 18 years old and it's a 1.6, Jord would be paying through the roof to insure himself on that.
And an 18 year old car with 161K miles on it wouldn't be a good idea for a cheap first car? How much would it cost to insure over there?
You would have more problems than it's worth, 161,000 and it's 18 coming on 19 years old, sooner or later he'll run into a costly problem.
Rosse_modest
+76|6796|Antwerp, Flanders

The Sheriff wrote:

Rosse_modest wrote:

The Sheriff wrote:

Don't buy that, 161K miles, 18 years old and it's a 1.6, Jord would be paying through the roof to insure himself on that.
And an 18 year old car with 161K miles on it wouldn't be a good idea for a cheap first car? How much would it cost to insure over there?
You would have more problems than it's worth, 161,000 and it's 18 coming on 19 years old, sooner or later he'll run into a costly problem.
Maybe you're right. I got my car when it was 15 years old and it only had 148,000 miles on it. It'll turn 18 in april and it currently has 168,000 miles on the clock. Only problem I've had so far is the cam belt breaking and it was pretty cheap to replace. Maybe I should dump my car on jord before anything serious happens?
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6640|Mhz

168k is high for a petrol, 80% of petrol engines will have major faults develop by then, but it may have already had them and been repaired so it could last for ages. Diesels are another animal altogether, 100k on a diesel is nothing, the thing will barely be worn in by then, mines coming up on 250k miles and it's still completely sound, just passed it's MOT with only a small suspension problem to fix...
hawaythelads
We are PREMIER LEAGUE!
+84|6507|Newcastle Upon Tyne.

kylef wrote:

A clio would do nicely.
I own a Clio II, while driving home from work tonight on the motorway( South Bound A19, Just south of the Tyne Tunnel for those that live near) my bonnet blew up smashing my windscreen to pieces, totally destroying its self dinting the roof of my car and scaring the shit out of my and the car that was behind me. So i wouldnt suggest you buy a Clio unless its a newer shape.
Rosse_modest
+76|6796|Antwerp, Flanders

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

168k is high for a petrol, 80% of petrol engines will have major faults develop by then
What faults should I be expecting when I join the 80% group?

Hawaythelads wrote:

I own a Clio II, while driving home from work tonight on the motorway( South Bound A19, Just south of the Tyne Tunnel for those that live near) my bonnet blew up smashing my windscreen to pieces, totally destroying its self dinting the roof of my car and scaring the shit out of my and the car that was behind me. So i wouldnt suggest you buy a Clio unless its a newer shape.
Your car's aerodynamic profile has improved. You should be happy.

How fast were you going when your car started disassembling itself?

Last edited by Rosse_modest (2009-01-09 10:16:35)

hawaythelads
We are PREMIER LEAGUE!
+84|6507|Newcastle Upon Tyne.

Rosse_modest wrote:

Your car's aerodynamic profile has improved. You should be happy.

How fast were you going when your car started disassembling itself?
65-70MPH at the time
VicktorVauhn
+319|6412|Southern California

168k is high for a petrol, 80% of petrol engines will have major faults develop by then, but it may have already had them and been repaired so it could last for ages. Diesels are another animal altogether, 100k on a diesel is nothing, the thing will barely be worn in by then, mines coming up on 250k miles and it's still completely sound, just passed it's MOT with only a small suspension problem to fix...
Not really.... You can expect most of the more reliable modern (say 90s and above?) cars to run up to 200k with out too much trouble with basic matenance.

Most people I know have petrol engines and old cars, most are over 170k miles and most are driven hard daily. My buddies 944 has over 300k miles on the original engine and pretty much every car I have owned has been over 150k miles.

The old American stuff really wasn't expected to go over 100k miles, but with the small Japanese cars that started coming over late 70s they REALLY started to show that cars could last much much longer.

If someone tells me about a petrol engine that is replaced before 200k I wonder what happened to it.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6491
I roll a Pug 106 GTi.

The Pug-club.

Join it.

Seriously all my friends back at home around age 17-18 started buying 106's. Small, fairly economical, not the ugliest of cars (not the prettiest either but non-ugliness is a bigger concern!) and pretty much dirtcheap to insure if you get a small-engine.

Last edited by Uzique (2009-01-09 13:14:38)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6364

80% is exxagerated. Especially if it comes to cars build after ´95.
Fiat and seat might be trouble when approaching 200k for example, honda´s and Mitsubishi easily run 300k without major probs. SO do most of te french and germans.

Most of the costs that come at this mileage are the wear parts like the gear belt. And rust. That´s the most common problem. nasty rust.
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6640|Mhz

Sisco10 wrote:

80% is exxagerated. Especially if it comes to cars build after ´95.
Fiat and seat might be trouble when approaching 200k for example, honda´s and Mitsubishi easily run 300k without major probs. SO do most of te french and germans.

Most of the costs that come at this mileage are the wear parts like the gear belt. And rust. That´s the most common problem. nasty rust.
Probably true if I'm honest, the failure rate on petrols is still quite a bit higher than diesel though. I love my diesels lol, same performance (on newer diesels anyway) better MPG, last longer etc.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard