AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6315|what

Hamas are fighting for a cause they believe in (that I don't agree with) which is that they are to claim back the lost territory taken by Israel.

But I ask do any of you know what Israel are going to do once the army occupies all of Gaza? Police the streets like the US in Baghdad?

They are going to have to hold new elections if they don't want to deal with the Hamas govt. and they have said on a number of occasions they are unwilling to negotiate with Hamas. Israel even said they wouldn't negotiate with Hamas immediately after they came to power.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11009552/

So how is peace to be achieved?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6315|what

san4 wrote:

TheAussieReaper wrote:

I don't think anyone here is supporting the rocket attacks san. But the problems we see are in Israel's handling of the attacks.
That's not correct. People just prefer to talk about Israel because it is inconvenient to talk about how Hamas has committed hundreds of war crimes.

For example, let's ask the following unpleasant question: what should happen to individuals who have committed hundreds of war crimes?
They should be held accountable like all war criminals, in a war crimes court. That doesn't mean an airstrike over Palestinian homes to get one or several militant each time.

lowing wrote:

FEOS wrote:

TheAussieReaper wrote:

Which does what exactly?

Oh yeah, cause more violence and more retaliation from Hamas. Until all that's left is to invade.

Tell me what is Israel's next move once it occupies all of Gaza?
Let's turn it around: Why doesn't Hamas just sit back and not fire rockets to begin with? It's already been shown that if they don't attack Israel, Israel doesn't attack them.
How dare you turn this around and hold Palestine responsible for their actions.
You mean hold Hamas responsible. All the Palestinians did was vote in a democratic election. Oops, they chose the wrong guys?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6814|USA

TheAussieReaper wrote:

Hamas are fighting for a cause they believe in (that I don't agree with) which is that they are to claim back the lost territory taken by Israel.

But I ask do any of you know what Israel are going to do once the army occupies all of Gaza? Police the streets like the US in Baghdad?

They are going to have to hold new elections if they don't want to deal with the Hamas govt. and they have said on a number of occasions they are unwilling to negotiate with Hamas. Israel even said they wouldn't negotiate with Hamas immediately after they came to power.

Am I mistaken, or are you actually BLAMING Israel for not wanting to negotiate with Hamas? Given the objective of Hamas, you are blaming Israel for this?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6814|USA

TheAussieReaper wrote:

san4 wrote:

TheAussieReaper wrote:

I don't think anyone here is supporting the rocket attacks san. But the problems we see are in Israel's handling of the attacks.
That's not correct. People just prefer to talk about Israel because it is inconvenient to talk about how Hamas has committed hundreds of war crimes.

For example, let's ask the following unpleasant question: what should happen to individuals who have committed hundreds of war crimes?
They should be held accountable like all war criminals, in a war crimes court. That doesn't mean an airstrike over Palestinian homes to get one or several militant each time.

lowing wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Let's turn it around: Why doesn't Hamas just sit back and not fire rockets to begin with? It's already been shown that if they don't attack Israel, Israel doesn't attack them.
How dare you turn this around and hold Palestine responsible for their actions.
You mean hold Hamas responsible. All the Palestinians did was vote in a democratic election. Oops, they chose the wrong guys?
Nope, I think they know EXACTLY who they voted for.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6574|'Murka

TheAussieReaper wrote:

1. Hamas quits firing rockets/suicide bombing/etc Israeli civilians.
2. Hamas removes the whole "destroy Israel" thing from their mantra...Israel will probably negotiate with them then (similar to Arafat back in the day).
3. Hamas makes their operations transparent to objective UN observers/peacekeeping force.
4. Hamas voluntarily holds new elections in Gaza.

What makes you think Israel isn't fighting for a cause they believe in (protecting their civilian population from indiscriminate rocket attacks)?

I don't think any of us know what Israel plans to do once they control Gaza...don't even know if Israel knows what Israel's going to do.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
san4
The Mas
+311|6851|NYC, a place to live

TheAussieReaper wrote:

san4 wrote:

TheAussieReaper wrote:

Do you really believe that Hamas members should be held responsible for committing hundreds of war crimes? Would you support an effort to apprehend them?
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6315|what

lowing wrote:

No, they didn't expect the opposition to be killed either.

lowing wrote:

Am I mistaken, or are you actually BLAMING Israel for not wanting to negotiate with Hamas? Given the objective of Hamas, you are blaming Israel for this?
No, I'm blaming Israel for not wanting to negotiate with the UN, with Palestine or with the representatives from all over the world who have called for a cease fire.

They shouldn't have to negotiate with Hamas for peace. And they don't have to.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6814|USA

TheAussieReaper wrote:

lowing wrote:

No, they didn't expect the opposition to be killed either.

lowing wrote:

No, I'm blaming Israel for not wanting to negotiate with the UN, with Palestine or with the representatives from all over the world who have called for a cease fire.

Does it elude you that no one is calling for a cease fire from Hamas, only Israel? Did it occur to you that this war was a non-issue to anyone UNTIL Israel fought back?

Israel sees the UN for what it is. It does not have a neutral attitude toward this issue, it CLEARLY is anti-Israel, so is it such a mystery as to why Israel does not think it is in its best interests to succumb to their bullshit?
FEOS
+1,182|6574|'Murka

TheAussieReaper wrote:

lowing wrote:

Israel's not participating in negotiations?

Someone should tell AP:

AP wrote:

While the Security Council failed to reach agreement on a cease-fire resolution, Egyptian diplomats said Egypt will host separate talks with Israel, Hamas and the Palestinian Authority in Cairo Thursday, but there would be no meeting between Israel and Hamas.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6315|what

FEOS wrote:

2. Hamas removes the whole "destroy Israel" thing from their mantra...Israel will probably negotiate with them then (similar to Arafat back in the day).
3. Hamas makes their operations transparent to objective UN observers/peacekeeping force.

What makes you think Israel isn't fighting for a cause they believe in (protecting their civilian population from indiscriminate rocket attacks)?

I don't think any of us know what Israel plans to do once they control Gaza...don't even know if Israel knows what Israel's going to do.
Hamas put themselves into the position they are now in. Hamas are a militant organization. And Israel is fighting for a cause they believe in, the protection of it's civilians. But they aren't protecting the civilians of Palestine, either.

san4 wrote:

Do you really believe that Hamas members should be held responsible for committing hundreds of war crimes? Would you support an effort to apprehend them?
Of course they should be held responsible, but short of all out war with Palestine, when the war should be with Hamas, not the Palestinians.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6814|USA

TheAussieReaper wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Hamas put themselves into the position they are now in. Hamas are a militant organization. And Israel is fighting for a cause they believe in, the protection of it's civilians. But they aren't protecting the civilians of Palestine, either.

san4 wrote:

Of course they should be held responsible, but short of all out war with Palestine, when the war should be with Hamas, not the Palestinians.
You forget who voted in Hamas. Hamas targets Israel civilians and not the IDF, yet no one is screaming about that.
san4
The Mas

TheAussieReaper wrote:

san4 wrote:

What about the leaders of Hamas? They are in Syria. Should they be apprehended?

On second thought, let's not talk about the war crimes Hamas has committed. It's really inconvenient.
FEOS
+1,182|6574|'Murka

TheAussieReaper wrote:

Just what do you think they're doing, then? If Israel wasn't taking the Palestinian civilians into account, Gaza would be a smoking hole.

If Hamas cared more about the people it was elected to serve than about its own agenda, the Palestinian people wouldn't be suffering.

Period.
― Albert Einstein

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6315|what

FEOS wrote:

Israel's not participating in negotiations?

Someone should tell AP:

AP wrote:

While the Security Council failed to reach agreement on a cease-fire resolution, Egyptian diplomats said Egypt will host separate talks with Israel, Hamas and the Palestinian Authority in Cairo Thursday, but there would be no meeting between Israel and Hamas.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/01/ … 3823.shtml

It took France and Egypt to circumvent the UN to get Israel to even consider talks.

Sarkozy's statement did not give details of the plan, but appeared to go further than Israel, which said through a spokesman only that it "welcomes" the proposal.
Let's see what comes about it.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,813|6269|eXtreme to the maX

FEOS wrote:

And Israel have to do nothing, see where you're coming from.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
FEOS
+1,182|6574|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Who broke the ceasefire?

If you want to say "the ceasefire expired, so nobody broke it", then who fired the first shot after the ceasefire expired?

Hamas started this. Unless they want Israel to finish it, they need to take it upon themselves to stop doing the things that Israel is responding to.

If Hamas had not launched rockets at Israeli civilians, Gaza wouldn't be in the situation it's in.
― Albert Einstein

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6814|USA

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Ummmm, Israel would be put in a position where it would not have to defend itself. Isn't that doing something?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
LOL
Both sides were pounding each other during the ceasefire.
The Israelis broke the terms of the ceasefire by shelling Gaza and failing to lift the blockade, Hamas by firing rockets.

Israel wouldn't be in the situation they are in if they hadn't continued shelling and blockading civilians in Gaza.
Its been tit-for-tat for 60 years FFS.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6814|USA

Dilbert_X wrote:

LOL
Both sides were pounding each other during the ceasefire.
The Israelis broke the terms of the ceasefire by shelling Gaza and failing to lift the blockade, Hamas by firing rockets.

Israel wouldn't be in the situation they are in if they hadn't continued shelling and blockading civilians in Gaza.
Its been tit-for-tat for 60 years FFS.
Please show where the IDF has taken unprovoked action in Gaza.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Here ya go, just one off the top of my head.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5066496.stm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaza_beach_blast

The Palestinians claim the beach was shelled, the Israelis came up with all sorts of excuses, and then resumed their shelling of Gaza.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2009-01-07 20:38:36)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6763|132 and Bush

TSI wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

My intent with posting the video was to demonstrate the lengths these militants will go through. I should not have said "that" school though. The following quoted AP article is the exact school you are referring to. It quotes Palestinian witnesses as saying they saw militants launching shells from just outside the school.. sadly the Israelis missed their mark. Still, that is not the same as deliberately targeting them. Gaza is extremely populated and that is why I expressed my disappointment with the IDF. War is hell, and in this century it's a televised hell. It makes absolutely no sense for Israel to make no attempt to avoid collateral. Even if Israel has no regard for innocent Palestinians they are certainly aware of the fact the entire world is watching. The appearance of at least showing concern is in their best interest. Hitting schools with no strategical value is nonsensical.

Your claim was that Israel is not letting anyone out or any aid in. I just picked one example. That is enough to dispel your claim. I would offer other examples including aid but you've already predetermined the validity of reporting with your selective reasoning. You've openly decided to withhold trust from information that does not fit within your world views. I truly feel you have a fixed mindset, and you have deemed any non conforming source bogus. No offense but if your willing to brush off Palestinian accounts of Hamas launching mortars from civilian locations how can I expect you to accept a neutral source?
None taken. I don't disagree with you about Hamas. As I've oft stated, I do not condone them, support them, agree with them. I do, however, understand their raison d'être, much as I can sympathize with the Palestinian civilians' plight. It is them who are losing, and it is only them whom I defend.
The Palestinian struggle is exacerbated by those who claim to be fighting for them. I concede that they, the Palestinians, are ultimately the ones who bear the brunt of this conflict. This isn't because the desire Hamas has to destroy is somehow lesser. It is because they are technologically dominated. The intent of Hamas is to provoke Israel into retaliation, quickly demanding a cease fire once a response has become apparent. I understand this. I do not condone it though. Inviting return fire upon their own civilian centers so they can parade their dead in front of the world media is disgusting.

TSI wrote:

I'm glad we concur on the IDF's mistakes regarding schools. I believe, however, that we differ on our perspectives on Israel's efforts to relieve the humanitarian crisis. Which is entirely fair. Perhaps I'm overly generalising in stating that Israel is blockading Gaza; my intent was to show that if any relief is in fact going on, its breadth and adequacy is next to null. Mind you, I'd be the first to laud Israel for taking steps to avert the crisis.
I am in no position to judge what "enough" is under the circumstances. I am conscious to the fact that I do not have all of the information. I can not make an informed decision, nor do I have the military credentials to dictate acceptable security breaches.

TSI wrote:

If you think they have actually tried to do anything to limit the "collateral", that's fair. Based on the info I have, I don't see that being the case at all, hence my open misgivings about the entire operation. Is it worth bombing a school even to get one mortar-launching pair, who according ? They didn't kill anyone (yet). The Israelis, however, have killed 39 (40 according to the UN). I'll be impressed if they can explain that one away.
The school was a mistake. Using 120mm shells or mortars to return fire does seem excessive. War is cruel and the bottom line is there is no way to make it 100% safe for everyone involuntarily caught in the middle.

I hold Hamas accountable for directing the artillery.
A young witness from Jabaliya, Ibrahim Amen, 16, said that he had seen one of the militants, whom he identified as Abu Khaled Abu Asker, in the area of the school right before the attack.

Ibrahim said he saw the militant after he answered calls for volunteers to pile sand around the camp “to help protect the resistance fighters.” Ibrahim went to pile sand near the school with his brother, Iyad, 20, who was then injured by the Israeli mortar fire.
I hold Israel responsible for using the wrong shell in response. It was a poor decision and mistake.

The Israelis have developed their own technology in dealing with the problem of congested urban warfare. They use a "knock on roof" technique to advise civilians before they hit certain areas. They often shoot especially loud artillery shells above buildings to give notice of an impending air strike. They have dropped pamphlets and have used cell phone technology to forewarn civilians. These techniques work for hitting large caches of weapons (time to get out but not time to move equipment). However, to announce beforehand that you intend to take out a building that is housing a Hamas leader is impractical. Israel can and has at times tried to minimize casualties even in these situations. They will use the smallest warhead needed and based on intelligence/drones hit the exact window that is needed to do the job. No system is perfect and the challenges are especially difficult in an area like Gaza. The gambles are high and it would be nice to tell everyone to get out of the way. Of course the militants would also vacate and find another school to hide in.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
san4
The Mas

Dilbert_X wrote:

The Palestinians claim the beach was shelled, the Israelis came up with all sorts of excuses, and then resumed their shelling of Gaza.
Try again. Israel was shelling rocket launchers (who were committing war crimes by targeting civilians). Israeli shelling of rocket launchers is permitted under Article 51 of the UN charter.

IDF wrote:

Chief of Staff Halutz: We need to remember the context of this incident. In the past few weeks Israeli civilians who live in the western Negev, especially in the city of Sderot, have been under a constant shower of Qassam rockets. We are operating in order to reduce this.

http://www.mfa.gov.il/MFA/Government/Co … Mode=print
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6486|New Haven, CT

Dilbert_X wrote:

This does nothing to prove that Israel broke the ceasefire, regardless of the unprovoked nature or not of the Israeli shelling.
san4
The Mas
On second thought, let's not talk about the war crimes Hamas has committed. It's really inconvenient.
Vax
+42|6014|Flyover country

san4 wrote:

Shh. Hamas is fighting for the oppressed ppl of palestine, the damage from their puny rockets is only minor and can be excused, because they are freedom rockets! The people of israel can endure these minor inconveniences; if you lost your car, or your apartment, or your mother, we are sorry, but it is for the freedom of Palestine from the Iron Grip of Zionism! 

Get yours today...

https://i39.tinypic.com/2dtry2u.jpg

Last edited by Vax (2009-01-07 21:33:37)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard