ATG
Banned
+5,233|6518|Global Command
I know for all appearences the economy is in critical condition. But what if, three months after O gets sworn in all the news is good?
If fear and panic are driving this downward frenzy we can look at a hostile press who has been demeaning and spiteful towards W for eight years and say " okay, you have your man in there, now please stop. "
Is it impossible that with daily good news and pep talks is all that is required to turn things around? Now people are scaird and they aren't spending any money. It's like a snake eating its own tail.

I for one would hate the press, because they would have had a hand in causing all the fear. Many agree that despite the real losses, fear is a bigger factor in turning this into a full fledged global calmity. You have to lay that at the feet of the press and politicians so eager to get elected that they too parrot the press with words like " collapse, meltdown, worse economy sinse the great depression

2.4 million jobs lost in 2008, the biggest number sinse 1945
Some highlights and quotes;

A barometer on layoffs due out Thursday is expected to show that the number of newly laid off people signing up for state unemployment insurance last week rose to 540,000, up from 492,000 in the previous week, according to economists' projections.
I do not believe these numbers will reflect most season holiday retail workers, who have or will soon get the ax.

"Many companies have a bare-bones mentality. With labor being their biggest expense, you will see them continue to drop the ax on jobs," said Richard Yamarone, economist at Argus Research. "There is absolutely no reason to believe the economy is going to be creating jobs any time soon. There are just no reasons for companies to flick on the hiring switch."
Electronic unemployment filing systems have crashed in at least three states in recent days amid a crush of newly jobless Americans seeking benefits.
Consumers and companies are folding under the negative forces of the collapsed housing market, a global credit crunch and the worst financial crisis since the 1930s. The recession, which started in December 2007, already is the longest in a quarter-century.

The expectation of more job losses ahead "will only perpetuate the vicious downward cycle propelling the economy," said Bernard Baumohl, chief global economic at the Economic Outlook Group.
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/090107/financia … .html?.v=2

http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/topst … flaws.aspx
mr.hrundi
Wurstwassereis
+68|6426|Germany
the only news that bring money are bad news. it's what most people need for their entertainment. that's the reason why I don't think we will hear good news from the news sources at any time.

Now I would guess that the economic situation could change if the mindset of the people was more positive. But since the mindset of people is heavily influenced by the media I think it will stay as negative as it is. The name of the current president of the US won't make a difference.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6557|Mountains of NC

https://blog.feestpaleis.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/sheep-flock.jpg

They do as they are told
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6621|949

Why would all the news be good?  I can assure you the media will pick Obama apart just like they do to all presidents.

Fear and panic are a result of the downturn - not a critical cause.

What if we all grew wings and floated to heaven one day?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6590|132 and Bush

Xbone Stormsurgezz
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6172|Ireland
I will be the first to sell my house and gtfo of oregon if it recovers quickly.

Fuck the left coast.
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6651|USA
You can blame the press for all the economic bad news you want. The fact is it didn't start until the President of the United States (G.W.) had is special notice and stated "we are in an economic crisis".

G.W. re-distributed the the nations wealth to the wealthy. And now there is a problem. Weird.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6142|what

Talking up the economy isn't going to help matters, but neither is talking it down. The facts, figures and projections that the media present may be real but they do slant the presentation of each to suit the story they are running.

An example I'll give you, is that when the US was denying for a long time that it was in recession. Economists had predicted that if the US were in a recession it would last 18 months and the recovery would then happen.

Because the media had not said you were in recession for such a long time, that when it finally did the news presented was "We are now in recession, and have been for some months." A rather negative assessment.

However, it could and probably should have been presented as the economists saw the recession. "It's a good thing we've been in recession for 2 months already, it means we'll be out of it even sooner. The predicted 18 month recession figures still remain true. And the first two months of the recession were not overly severe."
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6651|USA

TheAussieReaper wrote:

Talking up the economy isn't going to help matters, but neither is talking it down. The facts, figures and projections that the media present may be real but they do slant the presentation of each to suit the story they are running.

An example I'll give you, is that when the US was denying for a long time that it was in recession. Economists had predicted that if the US were in a recession it would last 18 months and the recovery would then happen.

Because the media had not said you were in recession for such a long time, that when it finally did the news presented was "We are now in recession, and have been for some months." A rather negative assessment.

However, it could and probably should have been presented as the economists saw the recession. "It's a good thing we've been in recession for 2 months already, it means we'll be out of it even sooner. The predicted 18 month recession figures still remain true. And the first two months of the recession were not overly severe."
Wall St. and the medias definition of a recession does not reflect an average Americans economic issues. It reflects wall st' economic issues. Americans have been feeling the recession for years.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard