argo4
Stand and Deliver
+86|5932|United States
I've got an acer aspire laptop from 2 years ago, and whenever i turn it on, it says the hard drive needs to be checked for consistency.When it finally boots up like 5 minutes later, the mouse and keyboard responses are really slow, and when I try to turn it off, it usually says that explorer.exe is not responding. Any ideas what's wrong?
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6197|Winland

Reformat.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6690|Devon, England

argo4 wrote:

I've got an acer aspire laptop from 2 years ago, and whenever i turn it on, it says the hard drive needs to be checked for consistency.When it finally boots up like 5 minutes later, the mouse and keyboard responses are really slow, and when I try to turn it off, it usually says that explorer.exe is not responding. Any ideas what's wrong?
Could try reformatting it.
Brasso
+1,549|6630

argo4 wrote:

it says the hard drive needs to be checked for consistency
in a Command Prompt: chkdsk /r
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5788|Catherine Black
You could also try the tech section.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
phishman420
Banned
+821|5681

Finray wrote:

The what?
bakinacake
HA HA
+383|5985|Aus, Qld

phishman420 wrote:

Finray wrote:

The what?
Freezer's battery house.
https://i.imgur.com/LGvbJjT.jpg
argo4
Stand and Deliver
+86|5932|United States
yeah, if the mods could move this to the tech section, that'd be good.

How do you perform the reformat?
Brasso
+1,549|6630

argo4 wrote:

do a chkdsk first, if that doesn't work, i'll tell you.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
argo4
Stand and Deliver
+86|5932|United States

haffeysucks wrote:

argo4 wrote:

see, it checks the drive for consistency every time i turn it on, i cant even cancel the scan
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6197|Winland

haffeysucks wrote:

argo4 wrote:

On an install that old, there's not much point. It's never too early to reformat.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Brasso
+1,549|6630

argo4 wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

argo4 wrote:

see, it checks the drive for consistency every time i turn it on, i cant even cancel the scan
ohhh i see what you're saying.  yeah then it's running a chkdsk every time...if that doesn't fix anything, i'd reformat.  which brings us to what freezer and link said.

to reformat (back up everything you need first!) get your original XP/Vista disc and boot off of it.  it will ask you if you want to repair windows.  say no.  it will bring you to an "install windows" screen.  basically just delete the partition that windows is already on and create a new one.  install windows on that new partition.
argo4
Stand and Deliver
+86|5932|United States
so i tried reformatting, but once it gets to about 70 percent, an error comes up saying that it couldn't read the file. I don't think it's a problem with the disk being scratched, so i'll probably just throw the laptop outl
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6570|USA

argo4 wrote:

so i tried reformatting, but once it gets to about 70 percent, an error comes up saying that it couldn't read the file. I don't think it's a problem with the disk being scratched, so i'll probably just throw the laptop outl
if you can't fix it yourself, take it to a tech. 70 bucks to get it repaired is better than 1000 dollars to buy a new one.
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6551|Scotland

argo4 wrote:

Try it again, I get that with my scratched CD, have to keep retrying until I get lucky.
argo4
Stand and Deliver
+86|5932|United States

Ender2309 wrote:

argo4 wrote:

if you can't fix it yourself, take it to a tech. 70 bucks to get it repaired is better than 1000 dollars to buy a new one.
not if it's a shitty acer that'll keep breaking.Plus its like 2 years old, so i might as well get a new one.
I tried reformatting twice, so it's probably not gonna work.
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6174|Sydney | ♥

download the iso, burn to dvd and use own serial? The modified ones are better anyway. They take out like every language but English, and useless accessories that you never use...
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6551|Scotland

argo4 wrote:

Ender2309 wrote:

argo4 wrote:

not if it's a shitty acer that'll keep breaking.Plus its like 2 years old, so i might as well get a new one.
You must have cash to burn then.
bakinacake
HA HA
+383|5985|Aus, Qld

argo4 wrote:

Ender2309 wrote:

argo4 wrote:

My computer is 2 years old
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6453|The Twilight Zone
Burn some calories instead man

bakinacake wrote:

argo4 wrote:

Ender2309 wrote:

So iz like older than u?

Last edited by .Sup (2009-01-06 15:42:26)

https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Brasso
+1,549|6630

argo4 wrote:

Ender2309 wrote:

argo4 wrote:

what model is it?  if you're just going to throw it out and it's a good laptop, i might want to pay you shipping so i can have it...
bakinacake
HA HA
+383|5985|Aus, Qld

.Sup wrote:

Burn some calories instead man

bakinacake wrote:

argo4 wrote:

So iz like older than u?
yes
argo4
Stand and Deliver
+86|5932|United States

haffeysucks wrote:

argo4 wrote:

Ender2309 wrote:

what model is it?  if you're just going to throw it out and it's a good laptop, i might want to pay you shipping so i can have it...
lol, i can probably have some fun with it before it goes hehe
and, it's not a good laptop, i cant even boot it up and i have a feeling the hdd is done

Last edited by argo4 (2009-01-06 16:27:55)

White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6551|Scotland

argo4 wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

argo4 wrote:

lol, i can probably have some fun with it before it goes hehe
and, it's not a good laptop, i cant even boot it up and i have a feeling the hdd is done
It can't boot because you need to format, and I doubt there is anything wrong with the HDD.

Download XP iso onto disk and use your serial to make sure, if you can just buy a new one because of this then like I say you obviously have money to spend.
N00bkilla55404
Voices are calling...
+136|5931|Somewhere out in Space
Oh look an Acer laptop with a shitload of problems, never seen that before.

Last edited by N00bkilla55404 (2009-01-06 16:53:57)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard