FloppY_
­
+1,010|6284|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

You can learn something from everything, and the most valuable lessons aren't taught in the classroom.

That said, something you play on the computer should not replace classical learning environments. Anything you do on the computer shouldn't be dismissed as useless, but there are important elements of school learning that you just can't get from the computer.
^ This tbh
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

blademaster wrote:

Researchers believe interactive games such as World of Warcraft and Second Life could be adapted so that children learn skills from them that could be transferred to real life.

They believe that the "immersive" aspect of the games in which the player suspends his belief means that the brain is particularly engaged and can absorb complex issues.
Immersion in classes is needs to return. You can learn more in an entire school day of math than you can in two weeks of one-hour classes.
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6363|California
Although you learn a lot more from school, learning something from the computer is helpful too, like learning to socialize on vent??
xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6340|California

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Immersion in classes is needs to return. You can learn more in an entire school day of math than you can in two weeks of one-hour classes.
I'm sorry but this is bullshit ^^ At least to some extent

Go get a school of Pre - Highschool and give them an entire day of one class and they'll perform like shit in that class. I'm saying this because I'm in highschool and I have had several different forms of teaching like these (including the computer) throughout my life and sitting in a class doing 7 hours of math is shit. Pure shit. I've found the best is what My school does. Monday is periods 0-6 like 55 minutes a class. Tuesday periods 1,3,5 about a little less than 2 hours a piece. Wed through Friday goes 0,2,4,6 (same time lengths as Tues except 0 period), 0,1,3,5, and 0,2,4,6. Sure as fuck is better than entire days of the same subject so stfu.

Now onto computer learning. When I was younger (elementary), I went to this after-school program (not school affiliated) and everything that was taught was on the computer. Although it was piss boring, they were learning games on the computer and they did help me, I only went there for about a year during school but for years I was ahead of the game in school because of that. It wasn't until about 7-8th grade that it started leveling out when I had gone to this program in about 4th grade. So unless you've had a personal experience, I don't want to hear older generations with narrow minds/minds stuck back in the setting they grew up in saying computers are "evil and useless". Hell, even if you have had a personal negative experience it doesn't matter because I've seen countless times that computers and learning games were helpful and extremely progressive.

Math - Can easily learned on the computer to those who think it can't (granted with a scratch paper or calculator at hand maybe for some tougher calc's but still.

Science - Oh god yes this can be learned on a computer. Granted you should do in-class labs for higher levels but yes, it can.

History - Probably the most possible of all.

English/Any language - Same as history

Health - Hell yes. They already do have this on computer.

P.E. - Sorry, but no.

Music/Arts/Etc - Nope Second though, yes. Music theory, composition, etc can be taught through computers but these are for AP Highschool classes and college classes. Art, yes. Conventional art no. Computer arts, designs, 3D blueprints, etc yes.

EDIT: I'm still not saying WoW can help in school, but things of the such and things I've previously mentioned and other (fun) games can help. Immensely

Last edited by xBlackPantherx (2009-01-02 14:39:46)

Parker
isteal
+1,452|6392|The Gem Saloon

xBlackPantherx wrote:

Hell, even if you have had a personal negative experience it doesn't matter because I've seen countless times that computers and learning games were helpful and extremely progressive.
lol?

xBlackPantherx wrote:

EDIT: I'm still not saying WoW can help in school, but things of the such and things I've previously mentioned and other (fun) games can help. Immensely
so can Ritalin.

i went to a high school where my entire curriculum was on a PC.
it didnt benefit me as much as you seem to think it should have...

just because something is good for one person, does not mean it is the same for everyone...

each individual has different ways that they learn.
Noobpatty
ʎʇʇɐdqoou
+194|6351|West NY
World of Warcraft? lol the auction house is good for learning how markets can work, with undercutting, supply, demand and so on....other than that wtf. To create a virtual "experiment" like a science lab or something would require a heavy amount of scripting to get it just the way you wanted it to.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6468

Noobpatty wrote:

World of Warcraft? lol the auction house is good for learning how markets can work, with undercutting, supply, demand and so on....other than that wtf. To create a virtual "experiment" like a science lab or something would require a heavy amount of scripting to get it just the way you wanted it to.
I think Second Life has a lot more potential for adapting and lending itself to virutal learning; after all, that game is basically what you make it.

As for Warcraft... I agree. I cannot see anything of use past the rudimentary-faux economics of the auction house and perhaps the social teamwork side of being in a guild, going on raids and cooperating and conducting yourself appropriately with other people. But why is that exclusive to Warcraft? Well it's not obviously, most of the article is bullshit. There's nothing you can pick-up on these games that you cannot in real life... unless you're socially reclusive and incapable of doing anything in real life .
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6150|what

Peter wrote:

I wish I had dragon slaying class at school, would beat geography.
Good luck scaling Dragon Mountain without geography, tard.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6649|USA

blademaster wrote:

Researchers believe interactive games such as World of Warcraft and Second Life could be adapted so that children learn skills from them that could be transferred to real life.

They believe that the "immersive" aspect of the games in which the player suspends his belief means that the brain is particularly engaged and can absorb complex issues.

The games real life feel also means that students could effectively carry out "work experience" on the computer learning techniques and skills they can apply back in reality.

Researchers believe that the games, which they say are more active than passive traditional learning, could be most useful for science based subjects with students able to carry out imaginary experiments and improve their ability to "learn to learn".

"Compared with a similar, paper-based curriculum that included laboratory experiences, students overall were more engaged in the immersive interface and learned as much or more," said Professor Chris Dede, an academic in Learning technologies at Harvard University in the journal Science.

Games such as Whyville and the ecology game River City have already been developed specifically to teach children and students but scientists believe established popular video games could be adapted so that players could be "dosed" with knowledge.

Much like "flight simulators" they are so "real" that many life skills can be learned from them. Early tests of these learning games have shown unusual levels of student engagement.

Dr Merrilea Mayo, director of Future Learning systems at the Kaufman Foundation, said the games can also help close the gap between under and over-achieving children.

"Unlike lectures, games can be adapted to the pace of the user," she said

"Games also simultaneously present information in multiple visual and auditory modes, which capitalises on different learning styles.

"Although the field is still in its embryonic stages, game-based learning has the potential to deliver science and maths education to millions of users simultaneously.

"Unlike other mass-media experiments in education (e.g., TV), games are a highly interactive."

The new research is likely to add to the debate about the pros and cons of video games.

Last year the culture minister Margaret Hodge called for a film-style classifications for games such as World of Warcraft which is said to have 10 million users worldwide.

There have also been concerns that the games are addictive and that children's education and lives are being disrupted by them.
source

where do you stand? Would you like to see video games being used in schools?
I would like to see parents actually getting involved in their kids lives FOR REAL.  Personal responsibility for your kids upbringing should be priority, not plopping them down in front of WoW.
Axatar
+29|6459|France
The only thing i learnt since I'm using a computer is English,some Egyptian mythology(Pharaoh) and that's it.
People saying that you'll learn teamwork, acquire skills in any domain,increase your brain abilities etc...have no idea about computers and video games.
The best way to learn, is not to actually learn, but to enjoy playing and learning "unwillingly" while playing.
Nothing beats a book in terms of content and availaibility and using a pencil/paper is way more effective than a keyboard, even though there is no Ctrl+Z.

Go in library, read, learn, remember, don't stare your screen for hours.

Last edited by Axatar (2009-01-02 17:28:12)

FloppY_
­
+1,010|6284|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

Axatar wrote:

The only thing i learnt since I'm using a computer is English,some Egyptian mythology(Pharaoh) and that's it.
People saying that you'll learn teamwork, acquire skills in any domain,increase your brain abilities etc...have no idea about computers and video games.
The best way to learn, is not to actually learn, but to enjoy playing and learning "unwillingly" while playing.
Nothing beats a book in terms of content and availaibility and using a pencil/paper is way more effective than a keyboard, even though there is no Ctrl+Z.

Go in library, read, learn, remember, don't stare your screen for hours.
Meh I can't stand books, too boring and slow for me Although reading and understanding is one of the most important things you need to learn....
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
sad fish
+7|5688|California
i vaguely remember reading this a long time ago but this wasn't the exact article, i probably originally read it on yahoo or something but here it goes:

http://games.on.net/article/2330/World_ … From_Moose
nickb64
formerly from OC (it's EXACTLY like on tv)[truth]
+77|5608|Greatest Nation on Earth(USA)

Snake wrote:

blademaster wrote:

That's the only part I agree with.

If I have kids, I wouldn't want them to sit around staring at a screen to learn, I'd want them to learn in the traditional, correct and formal manner.
Especially subjects like maths, which they are quoting, which you learn through examples and working it out. You can't do that on screen. It just doesn't go in.
I completely agree, and I am still in school, I think it would be cool, but I really doubt that anyone would really learn, who wouldn't rather spend their day playing a game than actually doing something.
rdx-fx
+955|6589
And what about teaching discipline and perserverance?

Not everything IRL is "fun".

The 'gifted' classes do it the right way;
Students spend the time to study and absorb the material, THEN they get to do cool practical applications exercises relating to the topic they've already learned. 

Learn it, know it, do a practical hands-on afterwards to cement the knowledge in your head.

Work, then reward.  That is how life really works.
Reward, then work.. doesn't work.

On the other hand, for adult learning in certain scenarios, it might work.

The classes in the America's Army game could be used as Common Task Training blocks of instruction, if further developed and fleshed out.
Everyone learns at their own pace, gets the achievement for completing each block, then goes into the field to do normal exercises.

Last edited by rdx-fx (2009-01-02 18:54:15)

xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6340|California

Parker wrote:

just because something is good for one person, does not mean it is the same for everyone...

I never said it should be the only way students are taught which is exactly why I added things in like labs and how certain subjects can only be taught in class. You need a good balance between the two. But there's people on here completely denoting the use of computers to learn and it's absurd and narrow-minded.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6146|'straya

Parker wrote:

xBlackPantherx wrote:

Hell, even if you have had a personal negative experience it doesn't matter because I've seen countless times that computers and learning games were helpful and extremely progressive.
lol?

xBlackPantherx wrote:

so can Ritalin.

Which is why schools need to be as flexible as possible when approaching subjects. some kids will learn from a book, some from practical/hands on, other from demonstation, others from listening and discussion. so teachers needs to use aspects from all of these the facilitate kids learning styles.

in my opinion if computer games help a kid with a learning difficulty (games are already used alot just not wow style games) then i think thats great. any form of teaching that works for the kid is good. but games like wow etc should not be introduced into any sort of mainstream curriculum.

Last edited by Little BaBy JESUS (2009-01-03 04:38:56)

xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6340|California

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Which is why schools need to be as flexible as possible when approaching subjects. some kids will learn from a book, some from practical/hands on, other from demonstation, others from listening and discussion. so teachers needs to use aspects from all of these the facilitate kids learning styles.

in my opinion if computer games help a kid with a learning difficulty (games are already used alot just not wow style games) then i think thats great. any form of teaching that works for the kid is good. but games like wow etc should not be introduced into any sort of mainstream curriculum.
^^ Perfect

This is one of the biggest faults in the school systems; most teachers don't know how to teach more than one way. The best teachers/professors teach multiple ways.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6403|North Carolina

usmarine wrote:

fuck sakes.  can we go back to the 80's pls?
You're the most nostalgic 20-something person I know....  lol

Still, I know where you and some of the others are coming from.  I would agree with Flaming that traditional learning environments are important to maintain, but embracing technology isn't a bad thing.
Tripulaci0n
+14|6154
I learned a lot of random stuff from video games
xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6340|California
Actually, even though I said games can't help with physical activity, it can. Certainly can't replace it, but can help. I'm sure everyone here will agree even fun mainstream games can certainly help with motor skills (hand-eye, reflex, etc), fast thinking, logic improving, problem solving (especially games like Zelda [Wii] or simple puzzle games like on the iPhone), etc for all of those people insisting technology can't help in traditional school.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5962|London, England

By the title i thought this was going to be about world of warcrack used as crack

title wrote:

Video games like World of Warcraft and Second Life could be used for e
Hardcore farming at raves tbh
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Teamsreth
Complete Tanker
+17|6841|England

rdx-fx wrote:

Students spend the time to study and absorb the material, THEN they get to do cool practical applications exercises relating to the topic they've already learned. 

Learn it, know it, do a practical hands-on afterwards to cement the knowledge in your head.

Unfortunately, people are becoming too lazy.

Rather than make people work, then rewarding, it is much easier to try the reward first. Anyone of roughly average intelligence will take the reward, and realising that work won't get them anything else, will do nohing.

Mutantsteak wrote:

By the title i thought this was going to be about world of warcrack used as crack

title wrote:
Video games like World of Warcraft and Second Life could be used for e

Hardcore farming at raves tbh
Thats the only reason I came into this thread. Wondered where it was going....
xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6340|California

Teamsreth wrote:

rdx-fx wrote:

Unfortunately, people are becoming too lazy.

Rather than make people work, then rewarding, it is much easier to try the reward first. Anyone of roughly average intelligence will take the reward, and realising that work won't get them anything else, will do nohing.
I believe their trying to illustrate the point that the reward is the work and vice versa. Trying to make the work the fun part (reward).

Like instead of work --> reward     or     reward --> work    it is    work
                                                                                              reward
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6516|Montucky

Tripulaci0n wrote:

I learned a lot of random stuff from video games
http://www.gamesradar.com/f/101-things- … 2511389033

1. It’s OK to kill people.

2. Dying doesn’t really matter much either.

3. If you’re 14, have hair covering your eyes and live in a small village, man up, because you’re going to have to save the world.

4. Medicine became obsolete in the year 2004, when doctors noticed that hiding behind a wall caused human health to regenerate to 100%.

5. Eating stuff found on the floor is good for you – your parents were wrong.

6. Sometime in the future, Earth will be menaced by hordes of alien spacecraft that fly in predictable patterns and can be killed in one hit. The logical course of action will be to despatch one brave hero in an untested plane/tank/spaceship to take them all on without help.

7. Winners don’t use drugs.

8. Buildings may have crates full of goodies on their roofs, so always check, even if it means riding a motorbike up the fire escape.

9. Enemies, rather than approach you directly, behave like Michael Flatley (of Riverdance fame) on a conveyor belt.

10. Keycards are only manufactured in primary colors.

11. Tanks will go faster if you turn the turret backwards and keep firing.

12. Anything in the world can be made from food, wood and gold.

13. Most guards forget you unsuccessfully tried to strangle them after walking around for 20 seconds.

14. It’s surprising just how useful martial arts are on the modern battlefield.

15. When you get shot, you don’t feel any pain, nor does it affect your aim. However, it does cause your vision to turn red for a couple of seconds.

16. If a crown princess is abducted by political dissidents or terrorists it is advisable to avoid using Special Forces and instead hire the services of an Italian plumber or a dizzy egg.

17. Firearms are most simply reloaded by pointing them at the wall and pulling the trigger.

18. Crates only contain one single item, much smaller than the crate itself. The item will usually be in the dead centre of the crate with no supporting packing material.

19. If you’re stuck in life and don’t know what to do, simply attempt to use every single item in your possession on your obstacle. If none of them work, go back the way you came. You’ve clearly missed something.

20. You can jump twice your own height, but water will kill you instantly.

21. Wrexham can win the Champions League if you have about 483 full days to spare, 80% of which are spent waiting for CM04 to load (non-UK folk may not get this one).

22. Jumping on turtles’ heads is socially acceptable. Unless it’s being used as a euphemism for needing the toilet.

23. Contrary to popular belief, you don’t gain experience and knowledge by education and hard work. You get it from wandering around the countryside killing wildlife.

24. Princesses float farther than plumbers.

25. Despite what logic dictates, the ideal shape for a war robot is not squat, armored, with a low centre of gravity, but a bipedal humanoid. Ideally with hands to hold a gun, rather than built in weaponry.

26. Large men are slow but strong; women are fast but weak.

27. When you look down, you can’t see your feet.

28. Explosives don’t work on doors unless they’re a bit shinier than the other doors.

29. If working on high scaffolding, beware of gorillas throwing barrels off the top floor.

30. No girls.

31. Always be sure to smash any crates you come across, they will always contain good things.

32. Despite the fact that modern weapons systems are effective over hundreds of miles, in the future all space/air/sea combat will be conducted within about 50 yards of the enemy.

33. Contrary to the strict regulations you might think pilots have to adhere to, you can actually fly any aircraft upside down beneath the Golden Gate Bridge without getting in trouble.

34. War is the best fun ever.

35. It doesn’t matter where you shoot someone, even if it’s in the foot, as long as you do it enough times there will eventually be an immediate transition between alive and dead.

36. There is no practical difference between walking into a weapon and picking it up.

37. In medieval times, women regularly fought in wars, wearing armor that afforded them equal protection to suits of plate mail worn by men, despite only covering about 3 inches of skin.

38. Most martial arts will teach you how to throw fireballs at about green belt level.

39. Roman and medieval generals had a zoomable and rotatable 3D view of the battlefield, and controlled their soldiers by clicking giant arrows.

40. Everyone speaks English, including Nazis, aliens and the living dead.

41. When your life ends you will be given 10 seconds to decide whether you fancy going again (in some circumstances this may cost you some change).

42. As long as you are wearing at least one ring you will never die.

43. Pulling out a weapon makes you see a + sign wherever you look.

44. Running from side to side or backwards is just as easy and quick as running forwards.

45. Never trust a giant monkey wearing a tie.

46. Graveyard zombies are predatory homosexuals, who’ll strip you down to your Y-fronts.

47. Bus-loads of people will turn up to a mostly empty field to see a man in a hippo costume stand next to a mail box.

48. Fat people are always evil. If not from the beginning, they will betray you eventually.

49. You can only use a pair of skis once and the only shop selling them at resorts is invariably on the other side of a busy motorway with no visible means of a pedestrian thoroughfare.

50. Not only is it perfectly normal for animals to talk, but their default attitude is “sassy”.

51. Modern tank warfare will be replaced in the future by building a very large number of tanks on the battlefield itself, then attacking the enemy’s strongest point head-on with hundreds of them at once.

52. You know when you have won a fight when your opponent stands still, waiting for you to decapitate him.

53. Prostitutes will judge you on the fanciness of your car and give you 25% bonus health post-sex. This is only in the pre-AIDS ’80s. In 2008, you will be tsk-ed at by an Eastern European, which makes you feel sick and guilty, even though you’ve been stabbing people all day.

54. Karate and driving can both be learned in minutes simply by repeating sequential dance routines as requested by cartoon animals.

55. Wearing a pair of white gloves to work every day may seem an unwise choice if your chosen career is plumbing, but, in reality, you will never have to dirty your pristine mitts by fishing a swollen, fetid tampon from a shit-clogged outflow pipe.

56. The bodies of your murdered victims will fade and disappear if you wait for a few seconds.

57. Explosives are not stored, as you might expect, in secure containers in controlled environments, but in barrels that are littered around combat zones at random. Highly-trained evil soldiers are quite happy to engage in sustained fire-fights while standing next to them.

58. Doing athletics really hurts your wrist after a while.

59. You can’t ever trip, even when running backwards as fast as you can while firing a shotgun.

60. World War II infantry jargon included such phrases as “lol”, “n00b” and “OMG HaXXoR!!11!” Modern counter-terrorist SWAT teams use the same phrases.

61. People wink out of existence when you’re not there to see them.

62. On the whole, you can withstand a lot more bullets/punches/magic compared to the other guy.

63. Always shut the door behind you, especially if it looks like it might snow later on.

64. You don’t need scintillating conversation get on in life. Two-word commands will do fine.

65. Many, if not all, problems can be solved with a Holy Hand Grenade.

66. Being on the goodies’ side doesn’t automatically make you winners of The War.

67. You can up your bank balance $1,000 at a time by chanting ‘FUND’.

68. Kick enough puppies and you’ll eventually gain the strength, wisdom and dexterity to take on ninjas.

69. Food can heal most serious injuries instantly.

70. Even cyborgs/ninjas/special agents able to smash whole cities with their fists and defeat the mightiest opponent in close combat are stumped when confronted with a locked door or box, and have to go find the key.

71. Music spontaneously plays whenever you do anything exciting.

72. Modern military training teaches that the best way to defeat an enemy is to stand stock still in plain view of the enemy and fire wildly. Making sinister noises to reveal your location is good, too.

73. If you notice a discolored section on a brick wall, try running up really close and pressing on it, for it may give way and lead you to a secret cache of weapons and armor.

74. Bullet holes will gradually disappear, foiling your attempts to draw a c--k and balls on the ground with a machine gun.

75. When you’ve run out of food and stuff, just leave the house and then go back in again.

76. When you kill people, sometimes they turn into food or money. Or some bullets.

77. You can travel anywhere instantly, as long as you’ve been there before.

78. When crawling along air-conditioning ducts, if you go forward and back a few times you may or may not see a pair of tits.

79. First aid kits can be applied to your injuries in under a second, and will instantly fix your injuries and make you healthier.

80. Flashlights only last for one minute, but thankfully recharge themselves over time.

81. If you’re in a castle looking for a lost loved one, they’re in another one.

82. If you’re good enough at trading/bartering – every single shop in the world will reduce their prices specially for you.

83. You can lead a fulfilling and adventurous life, and keep several friends, without ever opening your mouth.

84. You can shoot open a padlock, but locks on wooden doors only ever leave a dent.

85. It is possible to carry an infinite amount of items, including a full sunday roast spread, for no adequately explored reason, without impeding either your speed or clothing.

86. “Sho-ryu-ken!” is the best opening line to start a punch-up in a pub.

87. Conversation is easy! Just think of two or three possible responses, and pick the one you think will lead to the greatest reward.

88. Firing a rocket launcher straight into the floor is an excellent idea, and will get you cool stuff, provided you jump into the air as you do it.

89. Women who are experienced mercenaries and can carry multiple heavy weapons do not look like Bulgarian discus throwers, but are lithe, slim, and have very large breasts.

90. The world is packed with unexplored ruins, most of which are packed to the rafters with treasure. Despite this, no one has yet bothered to explore them.

91. The owners of theme parks/zoos/hospitals are able to pick up visitors to their attractions with a giant grapple, and drown them in lakes without penalty.

92. Being shot in the face is only a minor inconvenience, but going into an area you are not supposed to will result in instant death.

93. Nazis/Alien Invaders/Evil Megacorps are always leaving medical supplies around for their opponents to heal themselves with. Their own soldiers are under strict instruction not to touch them. Ever.

94. The popular third dimension was introduced in the ’80s, before which you’d simply shrink and move more slowly to convey distance.

95. You can probably fit another rocket launcher in your rucksack if you carefully rearrange those four ammo clips and that coke can.

96. If someone you don’t like is in a swimming pool, simply remove the steps to get out. Then they will be stuck and drown through exhaustion.

97.  Frogs die in water.

98. You can gaze at a woman’s tits for hours on end without either of you becoming embarrassed. However, attempts to mount her from every side like a determined St. Bernard will always result in you bouncing off her textured hide.

99. If you win a really big fight, don’t relax until you’ve made sure there isn’t a much more powerful robot version of your late opponent lurking in a corner.

100. “Ninja” is the most common occupation on the planet, just above “Secret Agent” and “Alien in Disguise”.

101. Comprehensive military training can be acquired simply by climbing a rope, crouching and firing down a range a few times.
Ridir
Semper Fi!
+48|6761

Snake wrote:

blademaster wrote:

That's the only part I agree with.

If I have kids, I wouldn't want them to sit around staring at a screen to learn, I'd want them to learn in the traditional, correct and formal manner.
Especially subjects like maths, which they are quoting, which you learn through examples and working it out. You can't do that on screen. It just doesn't go in.
Who said traditional and formal are correct? Ok, so I started playing games when I was in high school. FPS etc etc. They had zero educational benefit but highly enjoyable. I was absorbed into them, but I still made time for real life such as school, friends, sports, practice music. In college I started to play MMO's, Star Wars Galaxies [SWG] and breifly over this past summer World of Warcraft [WoW], I actually learned a lot about cost and effect in SWG via the immensely large crafting system. I recognized that I myself was a mooch and have taken measures to and for the majority have corrected that personality fault. I've also learned more about foreign cultures through MMOs than anything I have learned in school. While I would not say that MMOs are for everyone it is a type of game that can teach people many different things.

Of course I say this because I get bored very easily in lecture or non-interactive environments. I can't sit still and watch movies or TV. I would actually get so bored with classes listening to the teacher, watching some stupid video, or something similiar that I would read the text books. It kept my mind busy. Engage the students and they'll learn. The traditional and formal ways of education are boring, stagnent, and not engaging at all.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard