AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

Looks unlikely to happen imo. The US are trying to offload these guys because they are now likely to cause trouble if released.

Gitmo was never about rehabilitation, was it?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6656|NT, like Mick Dundee

Reaps, it's not happening. They don't pass muster from a security perspective.

I mean now that they've had years in a shitty prison without being charged or given a reason for their imprisonment, they are definitely a risk.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6396|North Carolina

Flecco wrote:

I put forward the motion that LBJ now be known on the forums as LBJ all the time.

ALL THE WAY WITH LBJ!

Also: Rudd = a diplomat, not a leader. If the libs can present me with a decent alternative to the current government at the next federal election, including a member who will actually fight for his constiuents (LOL SNOWDEN IS A BLOODY WANKER)...

Well, I'll vote for them. Peter Costello should take the leadership of the Libs around a year before the election for this to happen.
You really need some libertarians over there.  I thought Howard was bad, but Rudd seems even worse.
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6213|Brisneyland

Turquoise wrote:

You really need some libertarians over there.  I thought Howard was bad, but Rudd seems even worse.
Howard is worse than Rudd. But realistically Rudds govt wont do anything that it thinks will scare the population , or give the opposition and ammunition at the moment. Funnily enough the Howard govt probably would have taken the prisoners for no other reason than GWB asked him to. He would probably do anything he asked.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

Howard wanted us to be Deputy Sheriff for the US, so that we could have big brother over our shoulder for any disputes in South East Asia.

I'd prefer a Labor Govt. over the Liberals any day of the week, but that's just my opinion.
Turquoise
O Canada
I just don't understand the censorship/internet filtering kick that seems to be sweeping Australia.  First, it was video games, now...  internet?
GAIKIWARRIOR
Judge Death
+64|6734|PERTH WESTERN AUSTRALIA

Turquoise wrote:

I just don't understand the censorship/internet filtering kick that seems to be sweeping Australia.  First, it was video games, now...  internet?
yeah it suxs and they make over half the internet hard to access, if theres one little dodgy bit on the page we'll be blocked.

i live 89 Km's away from Perth and cant even have ADSL 2 fer chrissakes.

we want our internet back Ruddy , we pay for it , let us look at what we bloody want mate
Turquoise
O Canada

GAIKIWARRIOR wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

yeah it suxs and they make over half the internet hard to access, if theres one little dodgy bit on the page we'll be blocked.

i live 89 Km's away from Perth and cant even have ADSL 2 fer chrissakes.

we want our internet back Ruddy , we pay for it , let us look at what we bloody want mate
I take it that your government doesn't quite have the same interpretation of freedom of speech as ours does....

What I have to wonder though is...  what Australians actually approve of this?  I mean, every Aussie on this site seems very much against censorship, and so far, I haven't met any others online that support it either.  Who actually lobbies for this shit?

Eh...  perhaps, I should start another thread...
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6213|Brisneyland
Remember that the games thing wasnt Rudds fault. It was the attourney general in South Oz. The internet Filter thing definitely is...and it does suck. I personally think that it will be put in the too hard basket, but maybe thats just wishful thinking.

Warrior, the tender for faster broadband has just been handed in. ( thats the one Telstra pulled out of). At least something is being done. Nothing was done under 12 years of Liberals remember. Lets face it, nothing ever happens straight away, realistically even if a tender was agreed to tomorrow, it would take years to get the infrastructure in place. Dont hold your breath for ADSL2 mate.
Turquoise
O Canada
It sounds like this attorney general needs a thorough ass-kicking.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6097|eXtreme to the maX
Australian govts tend to float ideas, gauge public reaction, and then forget about them.
Doesn't mean it won't happen of course, and if it is it'll be done so badly it won't matter.

Our internet is very limited, its as likely they want to free up bandwidth by culling all the films and images as anything else.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6213|Brisneyland

Turquoise wrote:

What I have to wonder though is...  what Australians actually approve of this?  I mean, every Aussie on this site seems very much against censorship, and so far, I haven't met any others online that support it either.  Who actually lobbies for this shit?
I think that a lot of this has been done to get Stephen Fieldings support in the Senate. Our Senate is pretty much held hostage by Family First candidate Stephen Fielding and he is commited to very strong censorship.
"asked to specify the categories of content that Senator Fielding would like blocked by the mandatory first tier, a Family First spokeswoman indicated the party would want X-rated and refused classification (RC) content banned for everyone, including adults."

Remember that if he isnt onside then none of the Govt legislation gets through the senate. Unfortunately it makes him one of the most powerful people in Australia. Note how since the Govt Communication minister Stephen Conroy has bought up the internet filter, Fielding has been passing Govt legislation through the Senate ( although he claims it is to allow them to perform better during the financial crisis). Politics sucks , deals get done behind closed doors. Nothing changes. I think the govt can get around it by saying " its all too hard, but thanks for your support so far"
Have to wait and see.
Turquoise
O Canada
Hmmm...  maybe this whole coalition government stuff isn't such a good thing after all.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

Have you guys been watching The Howard Years, on ABC?

It's incredible hearing one politician say, "Yes we all agreed upon this resoundly."

The next interviewed says, "Well there was some disagreement that caused us some problems."

And the last one says, "Not one of us shared the same opinion."
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6213|Brisneyland
Actually I did watch it. Very good doco. I was suprised how much Peter Costello was shafted by little Johnny during their govt. They pretended to be such good mates all along. Thats why I am unsure if Costello will ever try for Opposition leader, the libs have not really treated him well over the years.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6097|eXtreme to the maX
I don't see what Costello has to offer as a leader.
Actually there seem to be no real leaders in Australian politics.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2009-01-03 20:07:40)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
GAIKIWARRIOR
Judge Death

Burwhale the Avenger wrote:

Remember that the games thing wasnt Rudds fault. It was the attourney general in South Oz. The internet Filter thing definitely is...and it does suck. I personally think that it will be put in the too hard basket, but maybe thats just wishful thinking.

Warrior, the tender for faster broadband has just been handed in. ( thats the one Telstra pulled out of). At least something is being done. Nothing was done under 12 years of Liberals remember. Lets face it, nothing ever happens straight away, realistically even if a tender was agreed to tomorrow, it would take years to get the infrastructure in place. Dont hold your breath for ADSL2 mate.
the next city down from me has ADSL2, Bunbury , i called my ISP, IINET they said we were Rural !!! 89 Kays out of Perth !!!!

They dont want my money and no other ISP does ADSL 2 out here either.

As for the internet censorship , last time i was home (work at Argyle Diamond Mine) my torrents were dead slow , and my wife said it was this censorship thing , just imagine if all the Ozzies get blocked from BF2s.com ?

thanks Rudd im glad i didnt vote for you or the other guy.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

Dilbert_X wrote:

Brand awareness. People know his name. LOL

Last edited by TheAussieReaper (2009-01-03 20:19:24)

Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6656|NT, like Mick Dundee

Gaiki, ever had a cavity search? Or don't you work in the tunnels?

@ Turq, it's our system, it means that everybody gets a voice, even if they are disproportionate. We don't have elections high-jacked by an electoral colledge either and every minister (equivalent to your secretaries) is an elected official.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6665|Canberra, AUS
It also means minor parties/independents are actually quite an important part of the political process.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6213|Brisneyland

warrior wrote:

As for the internet censorship , last time i was home (work at Argyle Diamond Mine) my torrents were dead slow , and my wife said it was this censorship thing , just imagine if all the Ozzies get blocked from BF2s.com ?
Actually the censorship thing hasnt started yet as far as I know, so I think mrs warrior may be wrong on that one. Cant see BF2s being blocked, but who knows.
GAIKIWARRIOR
Judge Death

Flecco wrote:

Gaiki, ever had a cavity search? Or don't you work in the tunnels?

@ Turq, it's our system, it means that everybody gets a voice, even if they are disproportionate. We don't have elections high-jacked by an electoral colledge either and every minister (equivalent to your secretaries) is an elected official.
Heheheh Hey Flecco long time no talk , nah mate i work on the surface (Contract Administrator) Air con all day 52' in the shade some days!

@ Burwhale , Oh dunno why it was slow then.

Last edited by GAIKIWARRIOR (2009-01-03 20:23:56)

DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6672|Disaster Free Zone
Is anyone taking part in the trial of the censorship thing?

I talked to some guy who is taking part (basically just to prove how shit an idea it is), and basically it like the days of 56k, 30 seconds to load a page, pages time out before they load, loads of 440s (or is it 404s) requiring up to 5 or 6 refreshes, gaming all but impossible and this is with a small volunteer group of a couple of thousand. There is no way it will ever be made national.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6139|'straya

Dilbert_X wrote:

Actually there seem to be no real leaders in Australian politics.
Costello is bit of a loser. but he did a great job as treasurer you cant deny that. costello and howard brought australia completely out of foreign debt, and saved a large amount of money for the government. it took them years to build up that money and rudd has managed to spend it all in a few weeks.

@ people saying Johnny was bad. Ok in his later years ill admit that he was losing touch with the country. but still he did some excellent things, u listed loads of "bad" things he did, but of course there are going to be bad things when you are PM for 11 years. bush has a huuuggeeee list of fuck ups and he was only in office 8 years.

One example of johnny doing good work was in his first year of PM. After the Port Arthur massacre he introduced tough new guns laws, rounded up guns etc. that was very brave of him considering it was his first year in office. here we are 12 years later and are far better off for it.

One example of Rudd being an idiot is the internet censorship. seriously he must be a big fan of china. he speaks their lanuage and is now trying to introduce similar censorship
GAIKIWARRIOR
Judge Death

DrunkFace wrote:

Is anyone taking part in the trial of the censorship thing?

is there going to be a trial of it ?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard