maxwell777
+27|6259|Doncaster, UK
I have just tried to overclock my graphics card on my Dell XPS1530.

Specs:
Intel C2D T8100
8600m GT 256mb
2gb DDR2 667mhz
1440x900 WXGA+ Display

My 3dMark06 score on default settings (GPU Core 475mhz, gpu memory 700) were 4689 3DMarks, with temp before at 61C and temp during at 74C.

Right so I used RivaTuner and turn my core clock up to 625mhz and gpu memory up to 850mhz. The results were a score of 5766 3DMarks. Idle gpu temp: 58C, during: 78C.

Just wondering what you think, is that ok to leave at that? Will the Graphics card be ok at those temps? Or could I push it further?

What temp is too high and should i stop overclocking, as i am aware of the risks of overclocking a laptop graphics card due to cooling limitations.

Thanks.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6560|NYC / Hamburg

These cards are fine well into 100°C. Push further
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Smithereener
+138|6309|California
Laptop GPUs can take a lot of heat (although it's obviously not very good for it), so those temps are OK. You should be fine if you push a bit more. But...

This might be old news, but there was this huge deal about certain notebook GPUs running far too hot because of some badly manufactured chips by nvidia or something. IIRC the 8600m GT was one of the affected chips. You might want to be a bit wary of higher temperatures unless you have warranty. Just in case.
maxwell777
+27|6259|Doncaster, UK
Just pushed to 675Coreclock, 900 memory clock.

3dMark06 Score: 6102 3DMarks, temps went to 82C.

RivaTuner will only let me go up to Core Clock 715mhz and memory clock 1055mhz.

What settings would you advise?
maxwell777
+27|6259|Doncaster, UK

Smithereener wrote:

You might want to be a bit wary of higher temperatures unless you have warranty. Just in case.
What temps would you say are acceptable?
alexb
<3
+590|5933|Kentucky, USA

Go for 700 core, 900 memory.

I have my 8600GT in my desktop at 720/900, as high as I can go without artifacting and crashing.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6190|Winland

maxwell777 wrote:

Just pushed to 675Coreclock, 900 memory clock.

3dMark06 Score: 6102 3DMarks, temps went to 82C.

RivaTuner will only let me go up to Core Clock 715mhz and memory clock 1055mhz.

What settings would you advise?
Those. I doubt a mobile 8600 will go much higher.

maxwell777 wrote:

Smithereener wrote:

You might want to be a bit wary of higher temperatures unless you have warranty. Just in case.
What temps would you say are acceptable?
Anything under 110 should be fine.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
maxwell777
+27|6259|Doncaster, UK
Just went to 700/900 and got a score of 6216 3DMarks. Temps went to 83C this time. I think I will leave it at that and monitor it for a while, play a few games etc.

Not bad gains, 4689 to 6216 3DMarks, up 32.5%. I'm impressed. Thanks for your help guys.
maxwell777
+27|6259|Doncaster, UK
You think my laptop would handle CoD4 since I overclocked and on what settings?
CoronadoSEAL
pics or it didn't happen
+207|6511|USA
what's your battery life? 20 minutes?
maxwell777
+27|6259|Doncaster, UK
Haha, when plugged in of course.
GAIKIWARRIOR
Judge Death
+64|6736|PERTH WESTERN AUSTRALIA
i run 2 x 8800gtx SLI in my Dell XPS 1730 non overclocked they barely get to 50' i think havent checked for a while

Last edited by GAIKIWARRIOR (2009-01-01 17:16:46)

max
Vela Incident

CoronadoSEAL wrote:

The 8600 doesn't eat that much power. With the right battery you can easily get 4h of gaming time out of such a machine
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6190|Winland

max wrote:

CoronadoSEAL wrote:

The 8600 doesn't eat that much power. With the right battery you can easily get 4h of gaming time out of such a machine
Yeah, and that battery happens to be something like one of my truck batteries.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
max
Vela Incident

Freezer7Pro wrote:

max wrote:

CoronadoSEAL wrote:

no, one of those will run the laptop for a week
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6190|Winland

max wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

max wrote:

no, one of those will run the laptop for a week
Actually just tested, one runs my laptop idling for four hours............

MORE VCORE! Erm, VBATTERY.

Last edited by Freezer7Pro (2009-01-01 19:30:12)

max
Vela Incident

*chants*
MORE VCORE!
MORE VCORE!
MORE VCORE!
MORE VCORE!
MORE VCORE!
MORE VCORE!
MORE VCORE!
MORE VCORE!
MORE VCORE!
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6190|Winland

max wrote:

*chants*
MORE VCORE!
MORE VCORE!
MORE VCORE!
MORE VCORE!
MORE VCORE!
MORE VCORE!
MORE VCORE!
MORE VCORE!
MORE VCORE!
MORE VCORE!
MORE VCORE!
MORE VCORE!
MORE VCORE!
MORE VCORE!
MORE VCORE!
MORE VCORE!
MORE VCORE!
MORE VCORE!

Ooga! Ooga!

MORE VCORE!
MORE VCORE!
MORE VCORE!
MORE VCORE!
MORE VCORE!
MORE VCORE!
MORE VCORE!
MORE VCORE!
MORE VCORE!
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6735|London

^ you guys are gay
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
maxwell777
+27|6259|Doncaster, UK
Hi, Ive been trying my gfx card while overclocked on l4d and cod4, they both run well but after about 20 mins I get a sudden drop in FPS, I havent measured it yet, neither have i measured the temps.

Is the card getting a little hot or is it something else?
Brasso
+1,549|6623

sounds like temps.  measure temps first.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
maxwell777
+27|6259|Doncaster, UK
Just played cod4 and the fps varied between 60 and 110, i'd say average was 75. Anyway after a while the game crashes for 2-3 secs, screen goes black then the game recovers, however the FPS averages out at about 10, lol.

I just got a warning then, it said display drivers stopped working and have recovered, but when they recover performance is seriously bad, should i drop the overclock speeds a little, or is it something else? Temps only went to 96C max.
max
Vela Incident

You're not stable. Unless there's a soft mod for move voltage you'll have to drop your speeds a little
Brasso
+1,549|6623

i didn't even read the beginning of this thread, sorry.  yes, since i don't really know too much about laptops...follow max's advice.  always.

"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard