Poll

Should snipers get points for spotting enemies?

Yes31%31% - 39
No65%65% - 81
Unsure3%3% - 4
Total: 124
vassili_zaitsev
+1|6649
I play sniper a lot and I try to spot out everything I can see so that my team can get a heads up on threats closing in on their positions. I spot so much that I do it pretty much instinctively now. My routine is basically
1) See enemy
2) Q/Enemy spotted (if not under immediate threat from said enemy)
3) Shoot
4) Repeat if target isn't dead or I missed

I am not the most skilled sniper (don't let the name fool you ), I have an accuracy of 47%, so I may not nail that spec ops guy sneaking up on armor every time, but at least if the driver is attentive he will notice a red dot next to him on the minimap and take appropriate action.

I often see other snipers that don't spot anything AT ALL, they just camp there and fire away. Sure, you may get the odd kill, but you can't kill everything you see (armor/choppers/jets) and spotting them out can give your team more chances of taking out those enemies.

IMO, a points system for spotting enemies could seperate the 'lonewolf' sniper from a 'team oriented' sniper. It will also encourage 'mute' snipers to spot more often and help out the team. 

My suggestion for a possible solution:

A cumulative system, similar to the engineer repair points, could work. Basically, it should be to reward teamwork, not to majorly boost the stats of the sniper class. I think 1 teamwork point per 10 spots is reasonable. It won't be enough to statpad over, but it should be incentive enough to get more snipers to hit the Q button more often.

In order for this system to not get exploited, and to reward those that use the sniper class as it's meant to be (*cough* claymore whoring *cough*) I suggest that a spot should only count when done in scoped mode. Naked eye and pistol spots should not get counted. Each spot would have to be a unique enemy, so you can't spam enemy spotted 10 times on the same soldier and hope to get a point.

Edit - belikeron made a good point about the UAV, obviously the spot would have to be outside the UAV radius to count. Might be kind of hard to implement, though only Dice knows the limit of the BF2 engine.

What do you think people - yay or nay?

Last edited by vassili_zaitsev (2006-03-15 22:43:05)

belikeron
+-1|6655
I think if the person dies while he shows up on the minimap non class dependant you should get teamwork points, something small like half a kill assist. When people spot with no UAV out it helps to get into position to ambush them, helps a ton with armor.
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6793|AUS, Canberra
no.
nordicfireman
+7|6695

the_heart_attack wrote:

no.
helpful.

p.s. vassili, i think you have a good idea that a lot of people would agree with, but having the vote at the top makes people think "ZOMG POINTS FOR SNIPPER WHAT NO WAY" and then they don't even read your logic, so i wouldn't be suprised if you get more "no"s than is accurate.

Last edited by nordicfireman (2006-03-15 22:48:47)

Maj.Do
+85|6774|good old CA
i say no because there will be spotting whores maybe : \

edit: reread.  Well ten spots hmm kind of a good idea.

Last edited by Maj.Do (2006-03-15 22:53:32)

vassili_zaitsev
+1|6649

nordicfireman wrote:

the_heart_attack wrote:

no.
helpful.

p.s. vassili, i think you have a good idea that a lot of people would agree with, but having the vote at the top makes people think "ZOMG POINTS FOR SNIPPER WHAT NO WAY" and then they don't even read your logic, so i wouldn't be suprised if you get more "no"s than is accurate.
Snipers don't get enough teamwork points as it is, you might get 5 kill damage assists a round, plus the odd flag defend point, so we hardly ever break 10 teamwork points unless we cap flags like mad, which is stupid to do as a sniper.

A poll is a poll, if people don't bother to read the post then too bad. There is a general 'hatred' towards the sniper class from some people anyway, so I already expected more 'no' votes from that camp alone.

Last edited by vassili_zaitsev (2006-03-15 22:56:51)

THA
+609|6793|AUS, Canberra

nordicfireman wrote:

the_heart_attack wrote:

no.
helpful.
its not a fucking debate.
he asked, i answered, im sure most people can grasp it.

and for the record i play sniper only, and the coms channel is spammed enough with crap, i dont need to hear 20 snipers spotting people all game on it.
vassili_zaitsev
+1|6649

the_heart_attack wrote:

nordicfireman wrote:

the_heart_attack wrote:

no.
helpful.

and for the record i play sniper only.
Easy there tiger. It's just an online forum.
nordicfireman
+7|6695

the_heart_attack wrote:

nordicfireman wrote:

the_heart_attack wrote:

no.
helpful.

and for the record i play sniper only, and the coms channel is spammed enough with crap, i dont need to hear 20 snipers spotting people all game on it.
wow. first of all, since when is any forum thread automatically "not a debate"? that's often the entire point of threads - to have debates. second, nobody said that this WAS a debate, so where the hell did you even get that?

also, if you just wanted the "he asked, i answered" thing, that's what the poll is for. if you want to add to the thread in a helpful way, THAT'S when you post. oh wait, that sounds familiar...could it be...the VERY FIRST RULE in the rules that you have linked IN YOUR SIG? (Any post you make should directly contribute to the forum.)

yes, i think it is.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6794|PNW

Not for regular spots, but vehicles and assets spotted with a laser targeter and destroyed by the team could be candidates for team points.
MelbourneVictory
+2|6668|Melbourne, Australia
Absolutely not. While in theory it's a great idea, in practice it's going to become a whore/pad heaven. Imagine the start of karkand? Someones gonna sit there and look at every twat that sits outside the UAV.

I agree that snipers dont get enough to do in terms of teamwork, and it IS a damned good idea, but in practice, it's bound to fail. Just remember that EA will be implementing something like this, they're bound to screw it up.
vassili_zaitsev
+1|6649

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Not for regular spots, but vehicles and assets spotted with a laser targeter and destroyed by the team could be candidates for team points.
There is no laser target designator in the game.

It was meant to be in it but it got scrapped at the last minute.

I wish there were binoculars as well. With double the zoom of the sniper scope, 5x is pretty weak for large maps with no fog.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6794|PNW

vassili_zaitsev wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I wish there were binoculars as well. With double the zoom of the sniper scope, 5x is pretty weak for large maps with no fog.
Yes, vassili, I am aware of all of this. But implementation has still been suggested in many threads, including [self-promotion]this one.[/self-promotion]

Must everyone take things so literally?

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-03-15 23:14:16)

vassili_zaitsev
+1|6649

MelbourneVictory wrote:

Absolutely not. While in theory it's a great idea, in practice it's going to become a whore/pad heaven. Imagine the start of karkand? Someones gonna sit there and look at every twat that sits outside the UAV.

I agree that snipers dont get enough to do in terms of teamwork, and it IS a damned good idea, but in practice, it's bound to fail. Just remember that EA will be implementing something like this, they're bound to screw it up.
Yeah, I considered that, but isn't 1 point for 10 UNIQUE spots a bit hard to statpad over?

10 points, which is nothing for a 'padder', will require 100 unique enemy spots, I'm not sure even I get that many in the busiest of rounds.
THA
+609|6793|AUS, Canberra

nordicfireman wrote:

the_heart_attack wrote:

nordicfireman wrote:

helpful.

wow. first of all, since when is any forum thread automatically "not a debate"? that's often the entire point of threads - to have debates. second, nobody said that this WAS a debate, so where the hell did you even get that?

also, if you just wanted the "he asked, i answered" thing, that's what the poll is for. if you want to add to the thread in a helpful way, THAT'S when you post. oh wait, that sounds familiar...could it be...the VERY FIRST RULE in the rules that you have linked IN YOUR SIG? (Any post you make should directly contribute to the forum.)

yes, i think it is.
its not a debate when at the end of it he asks yay or nay instead of "what do you all think about this"

and your remark "helpfull" is the kind of sly pretentious remark we dont need and it is where i get that you think its a debate, no where does he ask for opinions.

i posted becuase i know when i make a poll i like to see what people voted.
vassili_zaitsev
+1|6649

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

vassili_zaitsev wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Yes, vassili, I am aware of all of this. But implementation has still been suggested in many threads, including [self-promotion]this one.[/self-promotion]

Must everyone take things so literally?
Would've been helpful if you mentioned that thread, but anyway, don't take offence mate, there are still guys that think Spec Ops are invisible to a sat scan because the manual says so...
polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6811|Singapore

You go THA

Gotta work on that spelling.

And for the record. Fuck, no.
nordicfireman
+7|6695

the_heart_attack wrote:

nordicfireman wrote:

the_heart_attack wrote:

yes, i think it is.
its not a debate when at the end of it he asks yay or nay instead of "what do you all think about this"

and your remark "helpfull" is the kind of sly pretencious remark we dont need and it is where i get that you think its a debate, no where does he ask for opinions.

i posted becuase i know when i make a poll i like to see what people voted.
this is a more constructive post than your last one, because you provide some reasoning and i appreciate that. however, it's still wrong, and "it's not a fucking debate" is still retarded. regardless of whether or not he says "yay or nay" at the end of his post, the thread is still open to discussion. whether you want to debate or not is your own decision.

my sarcastic remark of "helpful" was responding to what seemed like a rude, snubbing post. surely you can see that just "no" is not usually taken any other way. if you just wanted to post to show people that you were one of the people who voted no, just say a couple words about it, like "i just don't think it is a good idea", or "good idea, but it won't work", or even just "i voted no", because a plain "no" sounds negative and asshole-ish.

i'm not trying to make enemies here, i just don't like to see people being dicks.

edit: you might as well just delete my posts now, i know how mods love to delete anything they don't like.

Last edited by nordicfireman (2006-03-15 23:45:58)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6794|PNW

vassili_zaitsev wrote:

Would've been helpful if you mentioned that thread, but anyway, don't take offence mate, there are still guys that think Spec Ops are invisible to a sat scan because the manual says so...
I can't self promote myself in every thread dealing with snipers and lasers. Anyway, no offense taken. Back to the X3 demo.
JimKong
+31|6665|Ohio
Why not everyone then?
washow
Get out of MY JET!!!
+23|6734
not for infantry, but for vehicles FO SHO

freaking nobody ever spots enemy jets and i always have to spot them myself and kill them

quite annoying
barleymeister
+0|6640
sounds good to me, every 10 would be good and somehow you couldn't just follow the same person and mark them to whore it up
rglaf
+0|6683
The sniper kit is one of the most unskilled classes in the whole game - why should they get more points for spotting?
THA
+609|6793|AUS, Canberra

rglaf wrote:

The sniper kit is one of the most unskilled classes in the whole game - why should they get more points for spotting?
lol coming from a medic whore....
mikeshw
Radioactive Glo
+130|6860|A Small Isle in the Tropics

A "yes" vote will be when everyone can put up with more spamming on the commo rose apart from the Commander's.. like this:

Enemy Infantry Spotted
Enemy Infantry Spotted
Enemy Air Assets Over
Enemy Boat Spotted
Enemy Infantry Spotted
Enemy Infantry Spotted
Enemy Air Assets Over
Enemy Boat Spotted
Sniper on our perimeter
Enemy Armor Spotted
Enemy Infantry Spotted
Enemy Infantry Spotted
Enemy Air Assets Over
Enemy Boat Spotted
Enemy Infantry Spotted
Enemy Infantry Spotted
Enemy Air Assets Over
Enemy Boat Spotted
Sniper on our perimeter
Enemy Armor Spotted
Enemy Air Assets Over
Enemy Boat Spotted
Enemy Infantry Spotted
Enemy Infantry Spotted
Enemy Air Assets Over
Enemy Boat Spotted
Sniper on our perimeter
Enemy Armor Spotted
Enemy Infantry Spotted
Enemy Air Assets Over
Enemy Boat Spotted
Enemy Infantry Spotted
Enemy Infantry Spotted
Enemy Air Assets Over
Enemy Boat Spotted
Sniper on our perimeter
Enemy Armor Spotted
Enemy Air Assets Over
Enemy Boat Spotted

Now..imagine every 10th of them awards you a point.. multiply that with 32 players on a full 64p map. The spamming will be annoying. Spare a thought for someone going up to knife an enemy but got given away by the incessant announcement on the commo rose. Arent commanders being mutiny voted because of the spamming on the commo rose?

So..my vote is Nyet! Nein!...and No.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard