SealXo
+309|6505
My dad has a baseball signed by the WHOLE 1960 Dodger team. The balls been sitting in a dark drawer wrapped in white paper, but its still been fading a really long time. The signatures are really faded, but still legible i guess.

I'm wondering if there is anything I could do or a place to go that could reverse the fading or something?

willing to spend some cash also if it works, considering it has to be worth a lot.

Last edited by SealXo (2008-12-23 15:44:44)

Luigi
Sniper Whore
+97|6148|Wisconsin
Well, I don't know about restoration, but I would get that baseball authenticated asap. PSA authentication will increase its value by alot.
SealXo
+309|6505

Luigi wrote:

Well, I don't know about restoration, but I would get that baseball authenticated asap. PSA authentication will increase its value by alot.
YEa - we're afraid to even take it out let alone send it in >:. And the value is probably shit since its so faded. Its go Sandy Cofax and the whole bit

I know theres stuff on the declaration of independence but i dont know if that restores it or just preseves it.

Last edited by SealXo (2008-12-23 15:51:56)

Luigi
Sniper Whore
+97|6148|Wisconsin

SealXo wrote:

Luigi wrote:

YEa - we're afraid to even take it out let alone send it in >:. And the value is probably shit since its so faded. Its go Sandy Cofax and the whole bit

I know theres stuff on the declaration of independence but i dont know if that restores it or just preseves it.
Hmm well, there are various shows around the country that the grading companies attend. They can have the ball authenticated and the whole deal in a few hours.

Wiki wrote:

Once the autograph has faded the best you can do is stop further damage by investing in a U/V protective display case. Try to find a Display case with 50% U/V protection. Don't try to restore the signatures yourself. You might cause further damage, and decrease the value more. Restoration of collectibles should be left to the professionals, and I have never heard of anyone restoring signatures on baseballs. The cost of restoring it would most likely be more than what the baseball is worth
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_there_any_ … a_baseball

PSA wrote:

At PSA, once our experts have determined that an autograph has been enhanced or restored in any way, we cannot assign a grade to it. While the autographs can be authenticated by PSA/DNA in some cases, the intentional alteration of the autograph precludes it from receiving a numerical grade. Please keep in mind that this is not an uncommon issue in the marketplace. At PSA, we have seen everything from crude amateur retracing to professional enhancement - the type of enhancement that may be extremely difficult to locate for the average hobbyist.

In addition, please note that restoration or enhancement to the item itself will not preclude the autograph from receiving a grade under the PSA system. Restoration is considered by many in the industry to be acceptable as long as the seller discloses any known restoration to that piece. It is often done by professionals to repair defects such as tears, creasing, staining, etc to photos and the like. It is also done to replace parts of items like seals on documents, fabric on jerseys and chips on wood-based collectibles like bats or various display pieces. Restoration of the item, in some cases, may affect the market value but it will not affect the PSA autograph grade.
http://www.psadna.com/grading_process.chtml

Last edited by Luigi (2008-12-23 16:04:12)

mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6624

Sell now before it fades any more!
SealXo
+309|6505

mtb0minime wrote:

Sell now before it fades any more!
>:
SealXo
+309|6505
My dad said they won the world series that year too ):

It's been wrapped up for 40 years its just the air thats gotton to it >:

The cost of restoring it would most likely be more than what the baseball is worth
so there is a way?

Last edited by SealXo (2008-12-23 16:31:08)

Luigi
Sniper Whore
+97|6148|Wisconsin
According to that wiki there is. Search around your location if you would like to get it fixed, keep in mind though, that the ball can never be graded then.
SealXo
+309|6505

Luigi wrote:

According to that wiki there is. Search around your location if you would like to get it fixed, keep in mind though, that the ball can never be graded then.
It's more of a sentimental thing to my dad - he's not planning on selling it. I just told him theres probably nothing we can do and i could hear it in his voice; it just means something. thanks though
GodFather
Blademaster's bottom bitch
+387|6189|Phoenix, AZ
pix or it doesnt exist

Last edited by GodFather (2008-12-23 23:42:45)

IKE_1
Disabled
+0|3931
SealXO,

I have exactly the same question/issue.  I have a 1957 Yankees ball signed by the entire team that was given to me by my grandfather. The signatures include Whitey Ford and Mickey Mantle, but some are faded.  I have no interest in selling the ball, just in restoring the faded signatures. The Yankees won the series in '56 and '58 but not '57.  Nevertheless, the ball has all of the signatures from players in that dominant Yankees era. I would be willing to pay a professional to improve the signatures regardless of whether it costs more than re-sell value.

IKE
Cisse
+63|4339
Youre too kind
pooppooppooppoophttps://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n223/Samtheman53/Sigs/6z8doqc.gif

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard