henno13
A generally unremarkable member
+230|6319|Belfast
My exams are just over 18 months away
these decide whether or not i will be studying for another two years to go to university
so ive been thinking alot about university lately

ive been to the US on holiday (vacation) more times than i care to remember
and i must say that i fucking LOVE it over there
so i have been thinking about how it would be if i went to university in the US

I was wondering, do I really need a scholarship to get to ANY university in the US or can i just apply like any other university here in the UK

Last edited by henno13 (2008-12-23 01:00:10)

MysteryJake
+12|6178|California
Well it really depends on what type of university and where it is. With the state our economy is in there are major education budget cuts so going to a State University is pretty much out of the question since they will be accepting based largely on the distance from the school. You man be able to get into a normal University if you have the grades and the major amounts of cash to shell out each year. I could be wrong, wait for responses from other users.
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6620
Well you won't be able to apply like any other British uni because I'd expect American institutions to require SATs. It's also an ass load more expensive than unis in the UK. I suspect you'll have to pay more annually on tuition than I spend the entire year on everything.
henno13
+230|6319|Belfast

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

Well you won't be able to apply like any other British uni because I'd expect American institutions to require SATs. It's also an ass load more expensive than unis in the UK. I suspect you'll have to pay more annually on tuition than I spend the entire year on everything.
shit

Ioan92
+337|5693
And why not go to Oxford?
henno13
+230|6319|Belfast

Ioan92 wrote:

wat
no im not that good

i was wanting to go to a university in DC or maybe go to a state university like UCLA

none of that harvard or yale shit.
im not that good
MysteryJake
+12|6178|California

henno13 wrote:

Ioan92 wrote:

wat
no im not that good

i was wanting to go to a university in DC or maybe go to a state university like UCLA

im not that good
State Universities are going to be really hard to get into.
Ioan92
+337|5693

henno13 wrote:

Ioan92 wrote:

wat
no im not that good

im not that good
Don't underestimate yourself.
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6546|London
1. It's gonna be really expensive unless you get a scholarship or grant of some kind
2. You better be damn smart or sporty if you want to think about unis like UCLA
3. You're gonna need to sit the SATs at some point.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6295|New Haven, CT
All US schools are way less inclined to give any form of aid to an international applicant, so you need to find external sources in Northern Ireland.
Brasso
+1,549|6601

in addition to the SATs, some colleges like the ACTs more.  although most colleges will accept either.  i recommend you take both.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6120|'straya
[Plug own country]
Come to australia... our unis will accept u and it dosent snow here

so where the bloody hell are ya?
[/Plug own country]
ghettoperson
+1,943|6620

A much better idea is to do what I'm doing. Study at a British university, but you can have the option to study abroad for a year/6 months.
david363
Crotch fires and you: the untold story
+314|6710|Comber, Northern Ireland

nukchebi0 wrote:

All US schools are way less inclined to give any form of aid to an international applicant, so you need to find external sources in Northern Ireland.
or he could try turning on the ole irish charm! works in bars in the US
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6727|Scotland

US Unis, from abroad, are harder to get into than UK Unis.

First of all, you would need to sit your SATs in Britain. It can be done, but if you don't think you have a chance in hell of getting into Oxford, you can start to forget the US. UCLA is on par with Kings and other great unis, and as there are 300 million people in the US, the likelyhood of getting in is even slimmer.

You should be expecting to get 3 As at A-LEVEL and be incredibly active and sporty - involved in something outside of school.

You are too young to start deciding where you are going and what you want to do. Get your preliminary results, look at courses and decide THEN. Enjoy life right now and don't think about such things.
justice
OctoPoster
+978|6712|OctoLand
Posters above are making it seem way harder then it really is, and I did exactly the same thing you're looking to do.

First of all not ALL uni's there require SAT's...especially in California, the majority don't require them....and there are others, Chicago for example (which came 9th in the uni rankings for America this year)

And they love international applicants, if you really want to do it, you can do it

But....be prepared to pay shit loads of money.....I mean shit loadssssssssss.
I know fucking karate
JoshP
Banned
+176|5660|Notts, UK

Ioan92 wrote:

oxford lets fucking nobody in

faggots

D:

Spoiler (highlight to read):
i'm just pissed that they rejected the phyiscs pro that is me, imperial college london here i come then again, they rejected almost all my clever friends too They probably just don't want anybody from inbred lincolnshire

Last edited by JoshP (2008-12-23 05:31:56)

CameronPoe
+2,925|6526
DePaul, Chicago.
henno13
+230|6319|Belfast
i just used UCLA as an example
my sis was always saying that she wanted to go to UCLA and it just popped into my mind

justice wrote:

Posters above are making it seem way harder then it really is, and I did exactly the same thing you're looking to do.

First of all not ALL uni's there require SAT's...especially in California, the majority don't require them....and there are others, Chicago for example (which came 9th in the uni rankings for America this year)

And they love international applicants, if you really want to do it, you can do it

cheers mate
did you get in?

i am (kind of) ready to spend shit load of money
i am not rich
i mean i dont live in a mansion or anything but i have had a privledged upbringing like holidays evry year in which not many people get from my school

Last edited by henno13 (2008-12-23 05:39:40)

Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6546|London

JoshP wrote:

Ioan92 wrote:

faggots

D:

i'm just pissed that they rejected the phyiscs pro that is me, imperial college london here i come then again, they rejected almost all my clever friends too They probably just don't want anybody from inbred lincolnshire
ooh do you have an offer at imperial? We don't discriminate against inbreds so come to us
henno13
+230|6319|Belfast
Now coming to think of it, my history teacher told our class a story once of a guy who left for america to study
he apparently can back to NI and the school in a USMC dress uniform....

Last edited by henno13 (2008-12-23 05:41:57)

JoshP
Banned
+176|5660|Notts, UK

Aries_37 wrote:

JoshP wrote:

Ioan92 wrote:

faggots

D:

ooh do you have an offer at imperial? We don't discriminate against inbreds so come to us
aye that i do

if i get the grades, i'm going there next year to do physics should be teh lolz
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6194|Escea

I thought studying in the US meant you got quite a bit of financial assistance, I remember reading that from The Times or something.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6652|Disaster Free Zone

henno13 wrote:

i just used UCLA as an example
my sis was always saying that she wanted to go to UCLA and it just popped into my mind

justice wrote:

cheers mate
did you get in?

i am (kind of) ready to spend shit load of money
i am not rich
i mean i dont live in a mansion or anything but i have had a privledged upbringing like holidays evry year in which not many people get from my school
By shit loads of money... they mean:
15k a semester just on course fees.
$500 on text books and other shit.
More on accommodation and food.

I'd be willing to conservatively price it at $50,000 a year minimum, and maybe as much as 80 or 100k per year.
Ioan92
+337|5693

JoshP wrote:

Ioan92 wrote:

faggots

D:

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard