S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6516|Montucky

lowing wrote:

S3v3N wrote:

HollisHurlbut wrote:

Unfortunately, I can't find the text of California's Good Samaritan statute to compare it with my own state's version, due to the flood of stories about this ruling.  I know my own state's law not only immunizes you from liability but also obligates you to take action commensurate with your ability to do so.  (For example, a wheelchair-bound driver who witnesses a severe auto accident must only call for help, but a capable paramedic who witnessees the same accident must use his training to help.  If he simply called an ambulance like the wheelie, he'd be criminally liable.  However, if the wheelie wheeled on over to the scene and performed an emergency tracheotomy with a Bic pen, he wouldn't be covered because he's operating outside the bounds of his own ability to provide competent care.)  If California's statute is similarly worded, this ruling puts anyone in California into a trick bag where they have to walk the thin line between criminal liability for not helping or civil liability for not doing everything just right when they do help.
Montana has the same laws.

However, I am trained in rapid extrication as most other EMTs and Firefighters.. Basicly All you do is put a C-Collar on and pull them the fuck out.

and yes I do have a "jump" kit in my truck since I'm certified by the state of Montana to practice emergency medicine.
Are you legally obligated to render aid?
Upon passing by any Accident Scene in the state of Montana, yes I am, unless an ambulance is on scene.

*edit* you have to remember, Montana is a very Rural State, the next town on the highway you could be traveling down might be 60 miles away.  For example, my area for response as a Firefighter and EMT is bigger than the state of Rhode Island.  Its a complex law that forces trained EMTs to provide aid within their scope of care and within their abilities with equipment on hand.

One call I went on as an EMT, it was a 45 mile drive on gravel road to some ranchers house, way out in the middle of f'n nowhere.

Last edited by S3v3N (2008-12-21 11:12:19)

DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6679|Disaster Free Zone

usmarine wrote:

she feared the car was going to explode
lol
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6647

HollisHurlbut wrote:

Unfortunately, I can't find the text of California's Good Samaritan statute to compare it with my own state's version, due to the flood of stories about this ruling.  I know my own state's law not only immunizes you from liability but also obligates you to take action commensurate with your ability to do so.  (For example, a wheelchair-bound driver who witnesses a severe auto accident must only call for help, but a capable paramedic who witnessees the same accident must use his training to help.  If he simply called an ambulance like the wheelie, he'd be criminally liable.  However, if the wheelie wheeled on over to the scene and performed an emergency tracheotomy with a Bic pen, he wouldn't be covered because he's operating outside the bounds of his own ability to provide competent care.)  If California's statute is similarly worded, this ruling puts anyone in California into a trick bag where they have to walk the thin line between criminal liability for not helping or civil liability for not doing everything just right when they do help.
In Norway you're entitled to stop at the accident site and call for help but I'm not sure if you'd be criminally liable for not pulling the guy out the car.

In England, from what I've understood, you have no duty to act unless you are related or whether the relationship between you and the victim is that of reliance.
Superslim
BF2s Frat Brother
+211|6689|Calgary
Ass rape............ Sorry. WTF.... So the moral of the story is....................Just drive by.......stare..DONT HELP.............because you will be sued..

Fucked...............Really fucked...............
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6649|USA

S3v3N wrote:

lowing wrote:

S3v3N wrote:

Montana has the same laws.

However, I am trained in rapid extrication as most other EMTs and Firefighters.. Basicly All you do is put a C-Collar on and pull them the fuck out.

and yes I do have a "jump" kit in my truck since I'm certified by the state of Montana to practice emergency medicine.
Are you legally obligated to render aid?
Upon passing by any Accident Scene in the state of Montana, yes I am, unless an ambulance is on scene.

*edit* you have to remember, Montana is a very Rural State, the next town on the highway you could be traveling down might be 60 miles away.  For example, my area for response as a Firefighter and EMT is bigger than the state of Rhode Island.  Its a complex law that forces trained EMTs to provide aid within their scope of care and within their abilities with equipment on hand.

One call I went on as an EMT, it was a 45 mile drive on gravel road to some ranchers house, way out in the middle of f'n nowhere.
You have my respect sir. I could not do what you do, and a big reason is, I could not stand to see children hurt or worse. Your profession takes a special kinda person.
HollisHurlbut
+51|5995
I read the opinion today and I'll admit that the majority's case was at least plausible, though I found the dissent more persuasive.  This decision leads to an interesting (if ridiculous) end.  If someone gets hit by a bus and you irreversibly injure them in your attempt to give first aid, you're immune from a civil suit.  If, however, you push them out of the way of the bus and break their ankle in the process, you're hit.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6546|San Diego, CA, USA
Was the person conscious when they were pulled from the car?  If so and the guy pleaded NOT to be pulled from the vehicle then I could see a case against the good samaritan, otherwise she was well within her rights to help another human being that she thought was in harms way.

Last year I was in an accident and an airbag that deployed in one of the other vehicles did make the car look like it was on fire.  In retrospect though, the car was not on fire or anywhere near exploding.  I can totally see why she thought that the person was in immanent harm though.

The problem is if this goes to trial she won't be found guilty in a criminal sense, but she will in a civil case.  In a civil case the 'proof' is much less than a criminal trial and thus she could be liable for ALOT.

Its sad.
Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|5992|Truthistan
This is not as big a deal as everyone is making it out to be. Its unfortunate that this good samaritan has to be hauled into court but if the lawyer does not get her into court then the stinking insurance company for the guy who was driving the car that crashed will claim that the good samaritan is to blame for the injuries. It would be the "blame the absent defendant" defense. It sucks this woman has to go to court and defend herself but I'm pretty sure that no jury would ever find that she is even 1% to blame for the injuries.... her sacrifice will keep the insurance company from sliming its way out of paying for this persons injuries.

The simple solution would be to expand the good samaritan law to shield people in these situations from liability.
sad fish
+7|5688|California

JahManRed wrote:

California is the craziest place Ive ever been.
Yeah, having had lived in the same area my whole life, i'm used to it already.  One just learns to kind of mind their own business unless you're close friends with the person.

And yes, most people that I've encountered here are shitheads...and that's 19 and a half years of having to deal with this bull crap.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard