blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6645

The#1Spot wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

The#1Spot wrote:

By law pedestrians have the right of way but in the real world its the opposite case. The vehicle always wins no matter what. Its more her fault that she had died as there are no blind spots and must have been one hell of a slow crosser to not make it to the median or from there to the other side. Funny how they fault the driver in the news report with mowed her down.
lol you have got to be kidding me. So when a battleship mows down a sailboat, the battleship takes no blame because might makes right.

Thank god you don't drive in my city.
Step in front of a 3000lb car going nearly 40mph and see who wins.
I put down my money on that British bull vs the 3000lb car

Last edited by blademaster (2008-12-08 23:02:35)

Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6664|NT, like Mick Dundee

blademaster wrote:

Flecco wrote:

BlackKoala wrote:

What if the girl was deaf?  Then I bet all of you assholes who are blaming the girl would have different views.
Definitely would. Because then it would have been a physical impairment that stopped her from realising she was stepping out infront of a speeding vehicle.

Not her own insistence on being oblivious to the world.
well they are both to blame, one for not looking and the other for driving too fast

area where she was killed
http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/3294 … 7f0tt1.jpg
Which is what I'm saying.

Half the people in this thread insist it was only the drivers fault. Yes he carries the bulk of the blame but she could have excersised just a wee bit of commonsense/caution/self preservation/intelligent judgement......
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6155|Vancouver | Canada

BlackKoala wrote:

K, you DONT FUCKING speed through residential areas.  And you DONT speed through areas with crosswalks that obvious.  If anything I slow down when I go through the city, I'm not going to speed through an area like that.  And definitely not 10 over.

Yes, the girl fucked up, but the driver should have been a little more on his toes.  The law gives the RoW to the girl.

What if the girl was deaf?  Then I bet all of you assholes who are blaming the girl would have different views.
If she was deaf, she wouldn't be listening to music, and so would probably be less distracted.
lettuce
site lurkerer
+26|6643|cheshire u.k
looking at the pic of where it happened,i don't think the pedestrian actually has right of way there.in the U.K a pedestrian crossing normally has black and white stripes all the way across the road.
crossings also sometimes,but not always,have pedestrian controlled traffic lights.
TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5904|CA

BlackKoala wrote:

What if the girl was deaf?

Thread title wrote:

Listening to her iPod
irony lol

https://clip.break.com/dnet/media/2007/11/45nov21-fire-truck-on-fire.jpg

Last edited by TopHat01 (2008-12-08 23:58:01)

mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6654

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

I was going to say all the stuff you guys are saying about it being partially her fault and she should have been more aware, but then looking at the picture you see it was a crosswalk. As a driver you fucking pay attention to a crosswalk, pedestrians have the right of way. Yes you should still look both ways as a pedestrian because while that's how a crosswalk is supposed to work, better safe than sorry, but the blame falls squarely on the driver.
Can't say the blame falls 100% on the driver. If a pedestrian steps out onto the street suddenly, even if it is on a crosswalk, it's mostly the pedestrian's fault. (Learned that good factoid from traffic school ). Granted, this driver would've been in a better situation had he been going the speed limit (you just know that this is what the prosecution is going to pound home), but still, he wasn't even going that much more than it.

Also a little FYI for everyone here: Did you know that painted crosswalks are more dangerous than non-painted ones? At any street corner, there's legally a crosswalk, regardless of whether there's paint on the street denoting such. However, when it comes to crosswalks that are painted, pedestrians assume there's a magical barrier protecting them and that any traffic will instantly stop the moment they set foot on the road. Whereas with an unpainted crosswalk, pedestrians are more cautious, will check for oncoming traffic, and will hurry across the street.
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6570|USA

The#1Spot wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

I was going to say all the stuff you guys are saying about it being partially her fault and she should have been more aware, but then looking at the picture you see it was a crosswalk. As a driver you fucking pay attention to a crosswalk, pedestrians have the right of way. Yes you should still look both ways as a pedestrian because while that's how a crosswalk is supposed to work, better safe than sorry, but the blame falls squarely on the driver.
By law pedestrians have the right of way but in the real world its the opposite case. The vehicle always wins no matter what. Its more her fault that she had died as there are no blind spots and must have been one hell of a slow crosser to not make it to the median or from there to the other side. Funny how they fault the driver in the news report with mowed her down.
it doesn't even matter if she stepped out in front of him. you're assuming she was well into the cross walk. you're also assuming he was cruising at 40. in reality he was probably breaking from 50, and she stepped out from behind a parked car or something.

equal blame in this case.
The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6673|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
My thoughts go out to her family, Ive seen parents who have lost their children (all be it as babies) and it must be a thing you never get over, I just hope their pain gets easier.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6721|Sydney, Australia
Quite a tragic thing here, and not the first time I've heard of something like this.

lettuce wrote:

looking at the pic of where it happened,i don't think the pedestrian actually has right of way there.in the U.K a pedestrian crossing normally has black and white stripes all the way across the road.
crossings also sometimes,but not always,have pedestrian controlled traffic lights.
That's the first thing that I thought when I saw it too. In Australia, the thing in the photo would be a pedestrian island. The pedestrian does not have right of way. There is NO zebra crossing in the photo. For the visual folks, here is a photo of a zebra crossing in the UK:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c7/Abbey_Road_Zebra_crossing_2004-01.jpg/800px-Abbey_Road_Zebra_crossing_2004-01.jpg

The thing people need to realise, even when using crossings where they have right of way, is to never assume that someone will stop or slow down for you. As someone said earlier, the car weighs a lot more than you. It's obvious who the winner will be..
The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6673|Cardiff, Capital of Wales

mcminty wrote:

The thing people need to realise, even when using crossings where they have right of way, is to never assume that someone will stop or slow down for you. As someone said earlier, the car weighs a lot more than you. It's obvious who the winner will be..
Kids do it to me all the time here in Wales.  Chavvy little twats in their teens who will walk in front of you 'cos they are hard.  Now I reckon I could take 4/5 of them in one go, but my Pug van is a lot harder than all of them.

Why do they do it?  They don't know me but trust (more like pray) I won't pull off or even stop; depending on circumstance.  Ok if you want to take your own risk thats ok, but think about your family, friends, Me and mine.

I feel sorry for the poor people who throw themselves infront of trains to end it all.  Look what they leave behind?  Nobody ever thinks about the poor train driver and the wreck that this often leaves them in.

My biggest fear over My Kid is she will choke on food or will run out infront of a car.  If I say NO I expect her not to do it, or even STOP means stop right a fucking way 2 seconds ago.  All kids including me like think we know best, but I dont have the chance to explain to her why I don't want her to do something and I talk about this to her.  STOP means exactly that, not carry on and then ask me why.  Im 33, she's 7.  That tells you I have lived for x4 times more than her thus I really do know better, she just has to trust me on this.

Everyone one of us has parents (I'm sure), please listen to them, they do know best and only tell you things 'cos they want the best for you even though you often fail to see it that way.
SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6107|Birmingham, UK
Of course the driver is partly to blame, but because the girlwas listening to her iPod, she was bound to be distracted. Whenever i go to cross a road i always turn my music off until i'm on the other side, but i suppose thats just me

The point is, the girl could have simply stopped and looked before crossing. Like mcminty said, never think someone will stop, because they probably won't.
Kurazoo
Pheasant Plucker
+440|6684|West Yorkshire, U.K

mcminty wrote:

Quite a tragic thing here, and not the first time I've heard of something like this.

lettuce wrote:

That's the first thing that I thought when I saw it too. In Australia, the thing in the photo would be a pedestrian island. The pedestrian does not have right of way. There is NO zebra crossing in the photo. For the visual folks, here is a photo of a zebra crossing in the UK:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c … 004-01.jpg

Cars legally MUST stop when a person puts there foot on the zebra crossing, not when they are waiting
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6646
40 mph is a lot faster than 30 mph when it comes to running into pedestrians. Don't speed through residential areas.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6721|Sydney, Australia

Kurazoo wrote:

Cars legally MUST stop when a person puts there foot on the zebra crossing, not when they are waiting
What does that have to do with what I said? From the photo, the crossing in question does NOT have a zebra crossing. There was a pedestrian island, where the car doesn't have to LEGALLY stop.

The point I was trying to make earlier is that reality doesn't give a shit about the law. It is simply stupid to assume that a car will stop for you, because as a pedestrian you are legally entitled to right of way.

There is no point being legally right if you are dead.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6453|The Twilight Zone
iKilled
its all Steve Jobs fault
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Tripulaci0n
+14|6156
Going 30 MPH is pretty hard to do. It seems like you're crawling.
lettuce
site lurkerer
+26|6643|cheshire u.k
if you're walking,riding or driving,you have to expect the unexpected.as mcminty said "There is no point being legally right if you are dead"
At the end of the day,she should of looked where she was going and he should of stuck to the speed limit.
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6713|Purplicious Wisconsin

lettuce wrote:

if you're walking,riding or driving,you have to expect the unexpected.as mcminty said "There is no point being legally right if you are dead"
At the end of the day,she should of looked where she was going and he should of stuck to the speed limit.
I agree totally with everything you said
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
Rosse_modest
+76|6775|Antwerp, Flanders

Tripulaci0n wrote:

Going 30 MPH is pretty hard to do. It seems like you're crawling.
Was that a sarcastic remark?

I'm with many of the people here, she obviously shares a big part of the blame for her own death.
Buckles
Cheeky Keen
+329|6556|Kent, UK
What if the driver had been 30mph on the button, and still hit her?

What if she just didn't look and stepped out without checking?

What if? What if? Fact of the matter is that we do not know enough about the situation to draw conclusions on who was at fault, or who was more at fault. Don't forget you're reading something reported by the media. Therefore I would have to assume hat some facts are skewed or missed or glossed over to make it a "better" story.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6493|N. Ireland
So she didn't look across and got killed. Right? iPod or not, that is just a stupid thing to do (not look). Still sad that she died, RIP.

Last edited by kylef (2008-12-09 07:42:06)

DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6155|Vancouver | Canada
Did all the insensitive people take a break from BF2s?

Usually death-related threads are barraged with lame 'jokes'.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6654

DefCon-17 wrote:

Did all the insensitive people take a break from BF2s?

Usually death-related threads are barraged with lame 'jokes'.
Was she listening to death metal on her iPod? lolololololol
I bet she had some emo music playing and she felt like killing herself. lololololol
I wonder if she had the Hokey Pokey on there, "Stick your right foot out"--BAM! lololololololololol
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6716|Riva, MD

Flecco wrote:

Reaper has a point. Tis probs partially her fault.

RIP crazy ipod chick. I hope 4chan doesn't fuck with your family.
Are you referring to an hero?
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6499|so randum
tis why i always take a headphone out whenever im walking about.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard