Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6553|San Diego, CA, USA
Maybe with our new President we'll finally convert?  The only think we measure in Liters here is our Coke and Pepsi.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6572|Mountains of NC

go east about 5456 miles or (8781 km) and have at it
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6605|132 and Bush

Boy you sure are setting the bar high for Barry. Two wars, economic meltdown, Healthcare woes, millions of illegals .. crumbling infrastructure.. I'm sure the metric system is at the top of his list.

After this you would have thought that they would have went universal though.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
pilebomb
+8|6124
College football playoff is at the top of Obama's list. Metric system can wait.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6720
we have been going to switch to the metric system since i was in kindergarten...lol...early 70's...
Love is the answer
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6636|Finland

I wonder if the U.K went to metric after this mishap? (j/k, d-uh)

Geezer Butler (Black Sabbath) wrote:

We had Sharon Osbourne's dad, Don Arden, managing us. He came up with the idea of having the stage set be Stonehenge. He wrote the dimensions down and gave it to our tour manager. He wrote it down in meters but he meant to write it down in feet. The people who made it saw fifteen meters instead of fifteen feet. It was 45 feet high and it wouldn't fit on any stage anywhere so we just had to leave it the storage area. It cost a fortune to make but there was not a building on earth that you could fit it into.

Devastating!

But yeah, as stated, probably not on top of the list of things to do.
I need around tree fiddy.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6605|132 and Bush

Xbone Stormsurgezz
Reciprocity
+721|6585|the dank(super) side of Oregon
metric system is boring.

why hasn't the rest of the world gone U.S. customary yet?

or we could measure everything in planck units.

Last edited by Reciprocity (2008-11-17 22:58:08)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6110|eXtreme to the maX
The SI system is certainly one hell of a lot easier to work with.

I can't imagine trying to do engineering using the Imperial system.

Reciprocity wrote:

Its Imperial, ie a British system.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6605|132 and Bush

Omnibus Trade and Competitiveness Act of 1988
(Public Law 100-148 August 23, 1988)
An Act
To enhance the competitiveness of American industry, and other purposes.
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America
in Congress assembled,
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE AND TABLE OF CONTENTS
(a) SHORT TITLE
This Act may be cited as the Omnibus Trade and Competitiveness Act of 1988?.
SEC. 5164. METRIC USAGE.
(a) FINDINGS. Section 2 of the Metric Conversion Act of 1975 is amended by adding at
the end thereof the following new paragraph:
?(3) World trade is increasingly geared towards the metric system of measurement.?
?(4) Industry in the United States is often at a competitive disadvantage when dealing in
international markets because of its nonstandard measurement system, and is sometimes
excluded when it is unable to deliver goods which are measured in metric terms.
?(5) The inherent simplicity of the metric system of measurement and standardization of
weight and measures has led to major cost savings in certain industries which have
converted to that system.
?(6) The Federal Government has a responsibility to develop procedures and techniques
to assist industry, especially small business, as it voluntarily converts to the metric
system of measurement.
?(7) The metric system of measurement can provide substantial advantage to the Federal
Government in its own operations.
(b) POLICY.  Section 3 of the Metric Conversion Act of 1975 is amended to read as
follows:
SEC. 3. It is therefore the declared policy of the United States
(1) to designate the metric system of measurement as the preferred system of weights
and measures for United States trade and commerce
(2) to require that each Federal agency, by a date certain and to the extent economically
feasible by the end of the fiscal year 1992, use the metric system of measurement in its
procurement, grants, and other business-related activities, Except to the extent that such
use is impractical or is likely to cause significant inefficiencies or loss of markets to
United States firms, such as when foreign competitors are producing competing products
in non-metric units.
(1) The United States was an original signatory party to the 1875 Treaty of the Meter (20 Stat. 709), which established the General Conference of Weights and Measures, the International Committee of Weights and Measures and the International Bureau of Weights and Measures.
http://lamar.colostate.edu/~hillger/law … -conv.html
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Reciprocity
+721|6585|the dank(super) side of Oregon

Dilbert_X wrote:

The SI system is certainly one hell of a lot easier to work with.

I can't imagine trying to do engineering using the Imperial system.

Reciprocity wrote:

Its Imperial, ie a British system.
if you're a fucking limey in fucking limey land.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6110|eXtreme to the maX

Reciprocity wrote:

if you're a fucking limey in fucking limey land.
No the Imperial system is a hangover from the time the US was part of the British empire. Empire=Imperial
You guys elected to carry on with it.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6689|United States of America
Metric works well for science (and thus, is used there), but beyond that, it's not so great. Carpentry is my favorite example of where the metric system isn't nearly as good as the current one.

Cooking, too. How the hell are we supposed to measure in milli-eggs and so on?
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6294|Éire

Harmor wrote:

Maybe with our new President we'll finally convert?  The only think we measure in Liters here is our Coke and Pepsi.
Restaurant Vendor: "Litre of Cola?"

Officer Farva: "Yeah, it's French for gimme some fuckin Cola"
ghettoperson
+1,943|6653

DesertFox- wrote:

Metric works well for science (and thus, is used there), but beyond that, it's not so great. Carpentry is my favorite example of where the metric system isn't nearly as good as the current one.

Cooking, too. How the hell are we supposed to measure in milli-eggs and so on?
Milli eggs? Versus what, inch eggs? Why doesn't it work for carpentry?
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6625|London, England
Metric system. When it comes to things like science/engineering, it's a must to use metric and SI. I can't honestly even beleive that Lockheed were even thinking of using non-metric/SI units like that. I mean, they must have some very bright people there, so how the hell did that slip through? It's the basic of the most basic things.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6475

Harmor wrote:

When Obama discusses "change" in his inspirational 'speeches', this is exactly the sort of radical revolution he is referring to.

Last edited by Uzique (2008-11-18 08:05:18)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
SgtHeihn
Should have ducked
+394|6491|Ham Lake, MN (Fucking Cold)
I don't see us ever changing, I think I remember in 2nd or 3rd grade they pushed metric on us really hard then it just went away. We are too set in standard to switch, you have ten generations that are firmly set in the standard system.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6605|132 and Bush

We committed to change 133 years ago. We made it official 33 years ago.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
GravyDan
Back from the Grave(y)
+768|5936|CA
Why don't you guzzle a few ml from my 17 cm unit.  I'll take my measurements the confusing way, thank you.
Schwarzelungen
drunklenglungen
+133|6300|Bloomington Indiana

SgtHeihn wrote:

I don't see us ever changing, I think I remember in 2nd or 3rd grade they pushed metric on us really hard then it just went away. We are too set in standard to switch, you have ten generations that are firmly set in the standard system.
i remember that back in early grade school....one week of learning metric and never again

we'll keep the old way and make it easy on people like me who are numerically retarded anyway
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6605|132 and Bush

It's all making sense now. We've actually changed, but the people who aren't "getting" the metric system are the same ones who aren't "getting" the fact that we have changed. Slow is slow. /joke
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6770|Cambridge (UK)

Schwarzelungen wrote:

SgtHeihn wrote:

i remember that back in early grade school....one week of learning metric and never again

we'll keep the old way and make it easy on people like me who are numerically retarded anyway
How is the metric system harder to learn?

If anything it's easier - everything is 10ths or 100ths, rather than 12ths, 16ths, etc...

There's only one thing I don't buy in metric nowadays, and even those are actually metric quantities (but nobody names them by the metric amount).
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5706|College Park, MD
Metric rocks for science, but I still think in feet. DesertFox makes a good point - I greatly prefer imperial over metric for carpentry / tech class, but then again I'm wired to think in feet. When my teacher tells me to get a 3-foot long 2x4, I can visualize it better than a meter-long 2x4.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Brasso
+1,549|6634

The cost of changing practically every road sign, right off the top of my head, for one.

And stubbornness by the majority of the American public.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard